Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

As far as I can tell that memory kit isn't in Gigabyte's QVL docs for that motherboard. I'm not sure if Pinnacle Ridge is as finicky with memory as Raven Ridge apparently was, but it might be worth erring on the side of caution, or at least purchase memory from a vendor with a generous return policy. As far as I can tell all the 16GB DDR4-3200 kits on the QVL are 4-stick ones and at least $240, for whatever reason. (e: DDR4-3000 kits on the QVL are much easier to find and are available for $180, e.g. this one)

I'm not sure how good the stock cooler for the 2700X is, but if you're going to run stuff in the background a lot it might be worth investing in a big tower cooler with big fans (Noctua NH-D15, Cryorig R1) so you can run it quietly with low fan rpm under light loads.

As for PSU's, you can't go wrong with Seasonic's Focus Plus Gold series. Fully modular, 10 year warranty, very good voltage regulation, reasonable prices. There's really not much to differentiate between different modular PSU brands though - staple recommendations in this thread (other than the aforementioned Seasonic units) are Corsair's TX-M series and EVGA's G3 series, mainly because of the 10 year warranties. Not all of the EVGA G3's have 10 years though, only higher wattages IIRC.

edit: linked wrong QVL PDF, fixed now. same conclusion though
I took most of your advice:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory ($218.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $850.93

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
MSI GeForce GTX 970

The 840 Pro is five years old; I'll be using the 850 EVO as my boot drive, and just use the 840 to install games on, so if it dies, I won't care. Given that I plan to buy a $500-$600ish video card in the future, is a 750w power supply enough, or should I kick it up to 850w? The Ryzen 2 2700x has a Wraith Prism stock cooler which is supposed to be pretty good, and that's why I haven't included a cooler with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade a Mac Pro 5.1 with a Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+, but I want to make sure it's fully compatible before I pull the trigger. Does anyone have any direct experience or reliable info to confirm? This machine is mainly for use with Flame.

Thanks!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'd like to buy a new motherboard so that I can overclock my CPU. I have the intel 4670K but my MSI G43 motherboard can't overclock.

How do I pick a motherboard compatible with my CPU that I can overclock with?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Booyah- posted:

I'd like to buy a new motherboard so that I can overclock my CPU. I have the intel 4670K but my MSI G43 motherboard can't overclock.

How do I pick a motherboard compatible with my CPU that I can overclock with?

You will need a Z87 or Z97 chipset motherboard. It's difficult to find them new for not-ridiculous prices because they're older and people will often replace motherboards that go bad but usually the CPUs last. Since they're not being produced the new old stock dwindles and prices increase. There are new-ish refurbished ones shipping from china for not totally ridiculous prices if you don't mind taking the chance that it will have a problem and not be easily returnable. You could also buy used on ebay from the US (or wherever you are) which would probably be the best solution for safety against DOA but has the disadvantage of not being new.

These links are all just examples, you don't have to buy any of these specific models but they're all okay brands. I have the same CPU and use an ASUS Z87-A which has been pretty solid for 5 years or so.

New old stock expensive listing:
https://smile.amazon.com/ASUS-Z87-EXPERT-DDR3-1600-Motherboard/dp/B00CY9MPAI/

Claims to be new but shipping from china so probably a refurb:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Z97-GA...ecAAOSwSutaIg34

Used (claims to be like new, who knows):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Z97-E...I0AAOSwCmRbBkWE

Don't forget a good heatsink if you plan to OC. I used a hyper 212 with my 4670K for a while but eventually moved up to a super huge 140mm phanteks unit.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I would suggest not doing that. It's a lot of money for a relatively small gain. What heat sink do you have on there now?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thank for the advice.

I have a hyper 212 right now.

If the motherboards are that expensive it's probably worth just doing a full CPU and motherboard upgrade together. I was hoping I could just get one for 80 or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Booyah- posted:

Thank for the advice.

I have a hyper 212 right now.

If the motherboards are that expensive it's probably worth just doing a full CPU and motherboard upgrade together. I was hoping I could just get one for 80 or something.

Right now the cost for a full system core upgrade is ~$600 for an 8600K, ASRock Extreme4 Z370, 16GB of DDR4-3000 G.Skill RAM, and a Cryorig H5. Add an extra $90 for an 8700K, and another $50-70 for a new 550-650W PSU if yours is over five years old.

If you decide to stick with the old motherboard upgrade plan, prioritize ASUS and ASRock Z97s - they're one of the only older boards that are getting official BIOS-based microcode updates for Meltdown and Spectre. If you *do* decide to go for a complete system core update, maybe wait until Computex in the first week of June. No one knows the pricing of the i7-8086K 'anniversary' CPU Intel's evidently putting out, but it might send the 8700K back under $300 again.

A list of boards getting updates: https://techreport.com/news/33573/asus-and-asrock-release-z97-firmware-updates-to-counter-spectre

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Looking to pull the trigger soon on a new PC. This'll be my first custom built rig, as well as my first desktop in 12 years.

First draft: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/66yQP3

My needs are fairly modest:

1. Music production. I'm a hobbyist working primarily with sample-based plugins in Reaper. I'm starting to bump the ceiling here on my laptop. If I'm running more than a few plugins at once, I hear crackling sounds. I'm not sure if the bottleneck is my RAM (8GB) or CPU (i5-3210M), so I figure a healthy boost to both should have me covered. This is also the reason for the storage setup: install the plugins on the SSD, install the sample content on the HDD. (Presently I have everything living on a single 500GB SSD and it's starting to feel a little crowded).

2. Gaming. Super casual, mostly Blizzard games. But my current card (Nvidia NVS 5400M) is substantially out of date and struggles to run even WoW at a usable framerate. If I could see most of WoW in 60+ FPS (at mid-upper graphics settings) it would already be a world of difference. I've heard the CPU bottlenecks its performance, as well, though I have to believe the problem in my current setup is the video card.

I've never built my own machine before, don't really follow the hardware news, and I haven't bought a computer since my Thinkpad in 2012. So I just need to know if there are any oversights I'm making.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

the numa numa song posted:

I've never built my own machine before, don't really follow the hardware news, and I haven't bought a computer since my Thinkpad in 2012. So I just need to know if there are any oversights I'm making.

Well, you did good, kid. The only thing I would consider adding is a more substantial cooler, but just running at stock speeds that build is going to be such an overwhelming upgrade you probably don't have to worry about it for quite a while.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
WoW CPU bottlenecks show if the game is freezing in large group content (large battlegrounds, raids, world events.)

Edit: Running CPU-intensive addons (damage meters, logging tools, some raid organization tools, ALL THE THINGS) can make this a lot worse, which is why the common advice is to turn those off if you're having trouble.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 26, 2018

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.
So I purchased a used gtx 970 on SA Mart (Thanks ACValiant!) and while it is benchmarking a lot better than my previous card, a 2gb Radeon 7850, it doesn't seem to be reaching its full potential. I suspect that my processor, an fx 6300, is the culprit. Am I right in this assumption? And if so, will overclocking the CPU make a noticeable difference? I'm a ways off from having enough money to upgrade the rest of my computer, and I'd like to squeeze as much power out of it as I can in the meantime.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Has the GPU market started to normalize after the recent spikes from bitcoin miners, or is it still an expensive time to build a basic gaming PC?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sir Azrael posted:

So I purchased a used gtx 970 on SA Mart (Thanks ACValiant!) and while it is benchmarking a lot better than my previous card, a 2gb Radeon 7850, it doesn't seem to be reaching its full potential. I suspect that my processor, an fx 6300, is the culprit. Am I right in this assumption? And if so, will overclocking the CPU make a noticeable difference? I'm a ways off from having enough money to upgrade the rest of my computer, and I'd like to squeeze as much power out of it as I can in the meantime.

The FX CPUs were definitely a series to avoid so I'd expect that if something is holding you back the FX 6300 is it. You can try to check CPU use during whatever you're running to see if it hits 99% on all the cores or whatever. An overclock might help a little but they weren't really known for overclocking and if you would have to put money into a better cooler, I'd suggest putting it towards saving up for a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU would be a better choice.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Has the GPU market started to normalize after the recent spikes from bitcoin miners, or is it still an expensive time to build a basic gaming PC?

The GPU prices have gotten a lot better. They're back down near MSRP. If the crypto goldrush hadn't happened they'd probably be below MSRP right now, but at least MSRP is more reasonable than hugely over inflated prices. The only overpriced component right now is really RAM but it's gotten a little bit better. I picked up a combo pack of a 500GB 860 EVO SSD and 16gb of ddr4-3000 last week for $260 which isn't "cheap" since that makes the RAM 150-160 bucks but it's better than $200.

I'd keep an eye on slickdeals and the buildapcsales reddit if you're looking for a video card. PC Part picker is good but sometimes there's weird deals with combos or price matching to get the lowest price. For example both listed that PNY GTX 1080 for $460 the other day but you had to pricematch to office depot or something to get it for that low.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Rexxed posted:

The FX CPUs were definitely a series to avoid so I'd expect that if something is holding you back the FX 6300 is it. You can try to check CPU use during whatever you're running to see if it hits 99% on all the cores or whatever. An overclock might help a little but they weren't really known for overclocking and if you would have to put money into a better cooler, I'd suggest putting it towards saving up for a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU would be a better choice.

I have a hyper 212 evo from way back when it came highly recommended. I'm definitely not looking to replace the cooler. I'll see if my CPU is at full utilization in fire strike and go from there I guess. The 6300 has served me well for a long time but I think it's reached end of life as far as gaming is concerned. Witcher 3 is running 45 fps or so with everything dialed to max settings but I think moving forward I'm going to have to invest in new hardware.

I've been eyeballing the i5-8400 since it came out anyway. It would definitely be a major upgrade. I was thinking of pairing it with a B360 and some 2666mhz ram. Is that going to be enough or do I need to get a board that will allow for higher RAM speed?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sir Azrael posted:

I have a hyper 212 evo from way back when it came highly recommended. I'm definitely not looking to replace the cooler. I'll see if my CPU is at full utilization in fire strike and go from there I guess. The 6300 has served me well for a long time but I think it's reached end of life as far as gaming is concerned. Witcher 3 is running 45 fps or so with everything dialed to max settings but I think moving forward I'm going to have to invest in new hardware.

I've been eyeballing the i5-8400 since it came out anyway. It would definitely be a major upgrade. I was thinking of pairing it with a B360 and some 2666mhz ram. Is that going to be enough or do I need to get a board that will allow for higher RAM speed?

Faster RAM is nice if it's not too much more expensive. DDR4-3000 is usually a minor price difference over 2666 and can improve frame rates in games a little bit. I'd consider a reasonably priced Z370 board and faster RAM if you can afford it. The weird thing about 8th gen intel stuff is that they kind of rushed it out the door in response to AMD Ryzen, so Z370 was the only chipset available for months. Even though it's meant to be less expensive, B360 is "new" and often there's deals on older Z370 that make prices comparable. This means that there was a higher production volume than usual for overclocking hardware and there's often reasonable prices on what would usually be a premium motherboard. You don't have to do this, but it would also let you consider an overclocking capable CPU as a later upgrade if you decide you want one.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Looking to pull the trigger soon on a new PC. This'll be my first custom built rig, as well as my first desktop in 12 years.

First draft: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/66yQP3

My needs are fairly modest:

1. Music production. I'm a hobbyist working primarily with sample-based plugins in Reaper. I'm starting to bump the ceiling here on my laptop. If I'm running more than a few plugins at once, I hear crackling sounds. I'm not sure if the bottleneck is my RAM (8GB) or CPU (i5-3210M), so I figure a healthy boost to both should have me covered. This is also the reason for the storage setup: install the plugins on the SSD, install the sample content on the HDD. (Presently I have everything living on a single 500GB SSD and it's starting to feel a little crowded).

2. Gaming. Super casual, mostly Blizzard games. But my current card (Nvidia NVS 5400M) is substantially out of date and struggles to run even WoW at a usable framerate. If I could see most of WoW in 60+ FPS (at mid-upper graphics settings) it would already be a world of difference. I've heard the CPU bottlenecks its performance, as well, though I have to believe the problem in my current setup is the video card.

Looks good. Two minor suggestions though:

1. You have a full size case so there's no reason to go for a mini-sized graphics card intended for small form factor (ITX) cases - you can get a full sized one like the Asus Strix variant of the same card for about the same price (or maybe a dollar or two less) but with slightly higher clock speed and better and quieter cooling. With GPU's you generally want them to have as big heatsinks as possible with as many fans as possible - they get far more pleasant to use that way (less noise under load, and many of the big heatsink variants shut off the fans entirely when idling at the Windows desktop).

2. A 650W PSU is way overkill with this kind of graphics card. 400W would be more than enough, but nobody sells decent PSU's that small so just get a Seasonic Focus Plus 550W and save yourself :20bux: while still keeping a 10 year warranty and full modularity.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 26, 2018

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Anything look unnecessary or out-of-class with the other selections in this list? This is for gaming, but I play games with less demanding requirements usually (Diablo 3 & Path of Exile are good examples). My rig's in my living room, so it's important that it's quiet, and is also why I went for MicroATX rather than full.

Also already have a good monitor/peripherals and an extra SSD to go with this new one.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($178.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.22 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($161.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($68.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB STRIX Video Card ($201.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1005.14

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Faster RAM is nice if it's not too much more expensive. DDR4-3000 is usually a minor price difference over 2666 and can improve frame rates in games a little bit. I'd consider a reasonably priced Z370 board and faster RAM if you can afford it. The weird thing about 8th gen intel stuff is that they kind of rushed it out the door in response to AMD Ryzen, so Z370 was the only chipset available for months. Even though it's meant to be less expensive, B360 is "new" and often there's deals on older Z370 that make prices comparable. This means that there was a higher production volume than usual for overclocking hardware and there's often reasonable prices on what would usually be a premium motherboard. You don't have to do this, but it would also let you consider an overclocking capable CPU as a later upgrade if you decide you want one.

Thanks for your advice. Time to save up!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Anything look unnecessary or out-of-class with the other selections in this list? This is for gaming, but I play games with less demanding requirements usually (Diablo 3 & Path of Exile are good examples). My rig's in my living room, so it's important that it's quiet, and is also why I went for MicroATX rather than full.

Also already have a good monitor/peripherals and an extra SSD to go with this new one.

Nothing too out of place, but here are a few edits/suggestions: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dxLfyX

Also remember you can get a much cheaper Win 10 key from goon sellers. I stepped you up to the motherboard with WiFi built in simply because I liked the orientation of the board more (looks better around the socket), and figured you might get use out of it.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Thank you - I spent a while comparing the Mortar and Gaming Pro AC motherboards for a bit and the switch makes sense. I'll check out the Win10 resellers, too.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Well, you did good, kid. The only thing I would consider adding is a more substantial cooler, but just running at stock speeds that build is going to be such an overwhelming upgrade you probably don't have to worry about it for quite a while.

Good to know. Thanks!

Arivia posted:

WoW CPU bottlenecks show if the game is freezing in large group content (large battlegrounds, raids, world events.)

Edit: Running CPU-intensive addons (damage meters, logging tools, some raid organization tools, ALL THE THINGS) can make this a lot worse, which is why the common advice is to turn those off if you're having trouble.

The game gets choppy if the camera is too close to water or generic fel-cloud bullshit. Hell it gets choppy if I pull the whole room in the BRD bar solo. I'm pretty sure it's my graphics card (not that my 2-core processor is in any way fresh).
I have a few addons, but nothing for raiding. But good to know, thanks.

TheFluff posted:

Looks good. Two minor suggestions though:

1. You have a full size case so there's no reason to go for a mini-sized graphics card intended for small form factor (ITX) cases - you can get a full sized one like the Asus Strix variant of the same card for about the same price (or maybe a dollar or two less) but with slightly higher clock speed and better and quieter cooling. With GPU's you generally want them to have as big heatsinks as possible with as many fans as possible - they get far more pleasant to use that way (less noise under load, and many of the big heatsink variants shut off the fans entirely when idling at the Windows desktop).
Whoops! Picking the mini was definitely an oversight. I have no problem with a big case, definitely keeping it ATX.

TheFluff posted:

2. A 650W PSU is way overkill with this kind of graphics card. 400W would be more than enough, but nobody sells decent PSU's that small so just get a Seasonic Focus Plus 550W and save yourself :20bux: while still keeping a 10 year warranty and full modularity.
My friend is adamant about Corsair PSUs, but did also suggest I take it down a notch to the CXM 550.

Said friend also seems pretty sure that the Ryzen 7 is overkill and I'll be paying for nothing, even factoring in the music production. My current processor has 2 cores and 4 threads and can still run 1-2 plugins fine. It's tough for me to know whether the 5 will meet my needs, but if it doesn't, I guess I can upgrade that down the line. It will for sure be an improvement, at least.

Second draft:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($175.02 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.39 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card ($179.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($129.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1043.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-26 20:05 EDT-0400

My plan is to just take this list to Micro Center and order through them. I'm willing to pay extra to have them build it, just because I've never built a PC before, though I'm hoping they'll let me watch.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The game gets choppy if the camera is too close to water or generic fel-cloud bullshit. Hell it gets choppy if I pull the whole room in the BRD bar solo. I'm pretty sure it's my graphics card (not that my 2-core processor is in any way fresh).
I have a few addons, but nothing for raiding. But good to know, thanks.

Yeah, that's a graphics card issue.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

My friend is adamant about Corsair PSUs, but did also suggest I take it down a notch to the CXM 550.

Said friend also seems pretty sure that the Ryzen 7 is overkill and I'll be paying for nothing, even factoring in the music production. My current processor has 2 cores and 4 threads and can still run 1-2 plugins fine. It's tough for me to know whether the 5 will meet my needs, but if it doesn't, I guess I can upgrade that down the line. It will for sure be an improvement, at least.

Second draft:

Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.39 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.79 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)

My plan is to just take this list to Micro Center and order through them. I'm willing to pay extra to have them build it, just because I've never built a PC before, though I'm hoping they'll let me watch.

Well, I don't know much about how well your music production program multithreads, but yeah, 8 cores/16 threads is pretty overkill for most purposes except video encoding and 3D rendering at the moment.

Regarding the PSU, I wouldn't really recommend the CXM series. Thread wisdom is to shop for long warranties - it doesn't really cost that much more and you do usually get slightly better voltage control and efficiency, as well as fans that don't start rattling after a few years. If you insist on Corsair, the RMx series has ten years of warranty as well, but it's usually more expensive than an equivalent Seasonic (which is typically regarded as the go-to brand for PSU reliability).

Finally, you might want to consider switching to a Ryzen 5 2600. It's essentially a refresh of the one you have and it's only slightly faster (maybe 5-10%), but it's only like :10bux: more and it's a bit more power efficient. Using a 2000 series Ryzen CPU on a B350 board though may require a BIOS update, and if your board doesn't come with that already loaded up, you'll need a 1000 series CPU just to install a newer BIOS - after updating you can remove it and install the intended 2000 series CPU. AMD will ship you a dinky little 1000 series CPU for free to do this, but it's kind of a pain. If you're paying for someone to build for you though they'll do it for you.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Second draft:

The CXM isn't going to be as good as the Seasonic Focus Plus, and at this particular point, it's literally only $15 extra (after a rebate, mind) to get a fully-modular 80+ Gold PSU with a ten year warranty over the 'semi-modular' CXM.

Also, check that ASUS' QVL sheet and make absolutely certain that that ADATA RAM is listed. Conversely, just grab G.Skill or Corsair LPX, as both are *going* to be on that list.

The 860 EVO is also cheaper than the 850 is right now - and the Crucial MX500 is cheaper still, and doesn't trade off build quality/stability, either.

Finally, consider the AMD "Combat Crate" simply because it's not a horrible deal for what you get: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12684/amd-launches-combat-crate-bundles

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Should I wait for prices on 1080s to drop when the 1180s come out, or will the price drop not be large enough to bother?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Should I wait for prices on 1080s to drop when the 1180s come out, or will the price drop not be large enough to bother?

Prices are already dropping on 1080s. Wait until Computex (6/5-6/9), when hopefully we'll start getting more concrete information.

Alternatively, buy an EVGA 1080 at as close to MSRP or under as possible, and use it as a placeholder card with their Step Up program. Just be sure to read the details on how to qualify for it first.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 27, 2018

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Hey folks, I built a new PC a couple years ago but I went for a less-than-cutting edge processor and it seems to be the weak link in my system. I'm looking to replace it as I'm trying to stream but I'm getting hitches and framedrops while running Fortnite and streaming and the processor always seems to be pegged at max in the task manager performance pane.

Here's my current system build from PC part picker when I put it together in case someone sees something I'm missing that might be the bottleneck rather than my 100%ing CPU:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI - B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill - Value Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£79.79 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£209.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (£473.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£55.84 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: *Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£87.32 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£79.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £1235.91
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-27 13:25 BST+0100

Reading the OP it looks like I can't just go for the latest Intel processor that fits as 8th Gen isn't actually compatible. Is the 7600K a good one to pick from the previous gen?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Reading the OP it looks like I can't just go for the latest Intel processor that fits as 8th Gen isn't actually compatible. Is the 7600K a good one to pick from the previous gen?
6500 -> 7600K is such a small upgrade that imo it's not worth doing, they're essentially the same chip running at different frequencies. Have you tried offloading stream transcoding onto the GPU (if you aren't already)?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Llamadeus posted:

6500 -> 7600K is such a small upgrade that imo it's not worth doing, they're essentially the same chip running at different frequencies. Have you tried offloading stream transcoding onto the GPU (if you aren't already)?

I'm not sure how to do that, I'm using OBS Studio with the NVENC H.264 encoder but otherwise I don't really know enough to make meaningful changes. My current streaming output settings are here:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, NVENC is GPU encoding, which I guess means that the CPU just can't keep up with the game itself

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I just got a 1080p 144hz monitor to go with my i5-4590 / GTX 1070 setup. I think dropping resolution to 1080p has put more load on the CPU. Would now be a bad time to upgrade to an i5-8600K or possibly an i7-8700? I'm really not much into overclocking but the 8600K is a good value for the price. I'd also be able to jump from DDR3-1600 to DDR4-2400/3200 depending on chip/mobo and from my PNY 480GB SSD to an Samsung Evo M2 drive. So overall from what I can tell I'd be looking at around 35-40% faster CPU speeds, faster RAM, and about a 250% increase in drive speed.

It's not like I can't run certain things, I just know frames are being limited. I'm guessing that waiting until the new 10nm stuff comes out is probably the smarter move at this point?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You'll probably be waiting until mid-2020 before Intel gets their 10nm poo poo together. They're really behind the ball.

I'm personally probably going to bite on the Z390 and i7 octacore.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

comper posted:

I think dropping resolution to 1080p has put more load on the CPU.
Load on the CPU is roughly the same at any resolution in most game engines.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Khorne posted:

Load on the CPU is roughly the same at any resolution in most game engines.
If you go from 60Hz 4K to 144Hz 1080p you can absolutely have higher CPU usage, even while the difference between 144Hz 1080p and 144Hz 4K is miniscule.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hey I'm looking for some advice on a new PC i'm planning on building. My current PC was built back in 2013 to play BF3 and has only been upgraded here and there. I wanted to ride my current rig out until the new cards drop, but that looks like that won't be an option. Currently, I believe the main SSD is failing me, but that's a topic for a different thread. The only part from my current PC I'm planning on bringing over is the 960 which will hold me over till the new cards drop sometime later this year. I live in the US and want a PC mainly for gaming. Hoping to hit ultra settings on the newest BF when it comes out. I'm currently using a 1080p monitor, but I'm planning on making the switch to 4k probably around Black Friday when I can get some good deals on monitors. I also want to eventually try out VR, but I'm not in any rush to get there atm. Here's my list that I made in a few minutes with no research:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($347.00 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.19 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($151.89 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1221.04

It seems somewhat excessive, and I'd like to chop off a few hundred, but I'm note sure where to start. I want this new build to last a few years without needing to upgrade to keep getting ultra/high settings so I don't mind spending some extra. With the new cards that are going to release later, I want to spend less than 2k total. I know the 1TB SSD seems like a lot, but I am using a 500GB one and I keep running into storage issues even though I only install the least amount of games I can get away with on the thing. These 60GB+ games are killer nowadays.

*edit* I also have a 2TB hard drive that I'm bringing over from my last PC. It was a replacement less than 2 years ago so it should be fine.

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 28, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If you live near Micro Center, get your rear end there today.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/486088/Core_i7-8700K_Coffee_Lake_37_GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

$300 for the i7-8700K. Just grabbed one yesterday on a whim after toying with the idea of upgrading. All their DDR4 is also on sale, and M2 drives are hosed up cheap.

I'll post my build later today, but holy poo poo it's cheap for what I've got going into it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Hey I'm looking for some advice on a new PC i'm planning on building. My current PC was built back in 2013 to play BF3 and has only been upgraded here and there. I wanted to ride my current rig out until the new cards drop, but that looks like that won't be an option. Currently, I believe the main SSD is failing me, but that's a topic for a different thread. The only part from my current PC I'm planning on bringing over is the 960 which will hold me over till the new cards drop sometime later this year. I live in the US and want a PC mainly for gaming. Hoping to hit ultra settings on the newest BF when it comes out. I'm currently using a 1080p monitor, but I'm planning on making the switch to 4k probably around Black Friday when I can get some good deals on monitors. I also want to eventually try out VR, but I'm not in any rush to get there atm. Here's my list that I made in a few minutes with no research:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($347.00 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.19 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($151.89 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1221.04

It seems somewhat excessive, and I'd like to chop off a few hundred, but I'm note sure where to start. I want this new build to last a few years without needing to upgrade to keep getting ultra/high settings so I don't mind spending some extra. With the new cards that are going to release later, I want to spend less than 2k total. I know the 1TB SSD seems like a lot, but I am using a 500GB one and I keep running into storage issues even though I only install the least amount of games I can get away with on the thing. These 60GB+ games are killer nowadays.

*edit* I also have a 2TB hard drive that I'm bringing over from my last PC. It was a replacement less than 2 years ago so it should be fine.

If you're planning on overclocking, that cooler won't get you all that far - you should get the biggest one you can find (Noctua NH-D15, Cryorig R1, BeQuiet Dark Rock 4). The motherboard is sorta underdimensioned for i7 overclocking as well - consider the Asrock Z370 Extreme4. If you're not planning on overclocking, you're fine with what you have but you shouldn't spend extra on an unlocked CPU - just get the i7-8700 non-K instead. Even with a locked CPU you can do some technically-speaking-it's-overclocking by just enabling "multi-core enhancement" (or similar, different motherboard vendors have slightly different names) and it'll clock up to the max single core turbo (4.6GHz on the i7-8700) on all six cores at the same time, and just that will probably use all the thermal headroom you have.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X CODE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($729.00 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.00 @ Adorama)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($142.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1070.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-28 11:26 EDT-0400

My build. Already had the 1070 and the PSU, bought the rest yesterday for just under $700 at the Micro Center sale, so I think I made off pretty drat well. That list's total is incorrect since it doesn't have prices listed for half the stuff, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
So here's my proposed build for not really AAA games and a system I could someday drop a better graphics card into if I suddenly feel the urge to play AAA titles. Might be overdoing it with the processor but I'm playing processor heavy Flight Sim and Cities Skylines and I won't be overclocking.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99) (Microcenter today)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($114.90 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.19 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1341.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-28 12:22 EDT-0400

I can head to Microcenter today to get the $300 i7-8700k. Should I save an additional $50 by pairing with this motherboard or $20 by pairing with this motherboard or go with what's linked above?