Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm in the US and want to build a gaming PC - I used to incrementally upgrade my machine all the time as a kid/teen but I haven't had an up-to-date gaming PC (or built one) since a Voodoo 2 was hot poo poo

My budget is ideally around or less than $1,100 but I'm slightly flexible if it's a sizable upgrade.

I've been dealing with outdated hardware in my desktop and a non-gaming laptop and playing games at around 10-25fps for years and years, I don't need 120+ fps but having games run steadily at 60+ on a giant 52" 4k tv would be a welcome change (I haven't even had a desktop PC in a while so I don't have/want a monitor other than this TV). I usually play RPGs, turn-based strategy games and indie games that aren't super graphics intensive but would also like the option to play more demanding games like Total War and actually get solid performance even if I have to downscale the resolution a little.

I don't have anything except the mouse, monitor and keyboard and would prefer something that has a case on the smaller side and doesn't make much noise (noise is more important to me I guess).

Also preferably a SSD on the larger side (or maybe a smaller SSD and a big HD?) so I can be lazy about uninstalling games I'm not playing.

Does anyone have a full build put together that seems right for me? I'm worried that if I try and piece everything out myself I'm going to make some kind of fundamental rookie mistake and end up with incompatible parts like I did once as a kid :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thank you! With the gpu being the major cost I think I might be able to make this work - a friend mentioned having an 8gb 1070 he could cut me a deal on so I'll have to look and make sure it's not the itx one and would be compatible here.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

If you want to talk more about the size of the case you want, how much you value silence or asthetics or find a case you like I can fine tune. I was work/phone posting before, but can go into more detail. The free graphics card is great news though.

Also, I generally exclude mail-in rebates from my price lists. You can get stuff cheaper with rebates, often times if you do the research, but then you have to send in a rebate envelope and cross your fingers.

I don't care at all about the aesthetics of the case but I want something as quiet as possible. The graphics card isn't free but it'll be around $350 instead of $550 new (it's the 8gb asus strix 1070 with 3 fans)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is it worth spending an extra $200 to get an 8gb 1070 over a 6gb 1060? ($300 vs $500)

If I'm not playing bleeding edge games will it make a noticeable difference?

Edit: I bought the 1070 without waiting for an answer because I have no self control and want to play pc games on a giant tv

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 22, 2018