Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Kragger99 posted:

I'm looking to finally upgrade my i5 2500K to a i7 7700K. I see it supports the newer DDR4 RAM. Is there anything special I need to look for/avoid when choosing the RAM and Mobo to make sure I get the most out of the upgrade? Looks like I need an LGA 1151 socket.
I'm mostly looking at gaming, and possibly video editing.
I have a 980ti GPU currently, and a SSD for my OS.

Wow, that's almost exactly my build. I'm in pretty much the same boat, looking to upgrade CPU+mobo+RAM. Timing wise, will AMD's Zen line come out any time soon, and is it likely to affect the prices of kaby lake processors significantly? If it's longer that ~3 months I'll probably just bit the bullet and upgrade now.

What do you guys do with all of your old parts? I have a 1GB 560GTX card sitting in a drawer, and I'll have an old i5-2500k and E-ATX mobo that won't have a lot resale value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

What's the deal with U.2 drives? I was playing around on partspicker and there didn't seem to be any mobos compatible with the 8700 that had a U.2 connector. Are they just new and uncommon?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Zero VGS posted:

U.2 is dead and irrelevant, like the band. M.2 was a mess at first (i.e. drives could be either Sata or PCIe bus, using one might cause your GPU to throttle, some motherboards couldn't boot from one, etc) but now if you buy something standard like 370-series motherboard of any form factor and a Samsung 960 Evo M.2, you can expect them to work perfectly.

I'm assuming you don't have a U.2 drive? They only showed up for a bit with random enterprise stuff like Intel Optane. Skip it if you don't have the drive, if you do, maybe flip it on eBay and switch to M.2 or use the adapter like someone mentioned.

Good to know, thanks. I haven't bought one, I'm just thinking about upgrading my primary components after ~8 years and trying to get a lay off the land.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

TheStampede posted:

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on these. I like Logitech mice, and picked this one because it has a scroll wheel release and a good number of programmable buttons. I liked this keyboard because of the back-lit programmable RGB and mechanical keys. For the headset, my main concern was comfort, and I own a pair of Sennheisers for listening to music.

7.1 headsets have already been poo-pooed in this thread, but from experience I'll say you can actually notice the difference between front/rear in games. I have the Logitech G933 and it's a little tight on my giant head (so not the most comfortable) but the positional audio is great for Overwatch.

You can't go wrong with Logitech mice.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Are mini-ITX cases exclusively for water cooling? I like the look of some of them and like the idea of something small but I really don't want to dick around with water cooling.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My current case is full of old hard drives I now use for storage. My gaming rig is also my HTPC and you don't need fast drives for that. Also if you're on Windows and have a small SSD boot drive you can move your Windows user profile directories (Documents, Videos, etc.) to a different drive. Probably won't add all that much to your electric bill.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this come black Friday/cyber Monday. For the AOI cooler I'm gonna get a refurb off newegg. Only thing I'm not 100% sure on is the RAM - there's loads of option all in similar ranges and I'm not sure how big a difference the different speeds will make (upgrading from DDR3-1333MHz so anything's a step up)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($189.80 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($447.30 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 4GB K|NGP|N ACX 2.0+ Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT Mini ITX Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1446.04

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

There should be a way to display a list of boot devices where you can just pick one to boot from. Hard to say more without knowing the mobo model.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Colonel Squish posted:

ASUS Strix Z270E. When I try booting directly from the list, the screen goes black for a moment and then reloads the BIOS.

I get a “CPU FAN ERROR” sometimes, but I am 99% sure it’s connected correctly into the CPU_FAN slot (I just rechecked).

Not an expert by any stretch but my guess would be that something is not connected correctly. Try booting with just the CPU (with fan) and RAM connected and see what happens.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I have a question about CPU temps. I've got a 8700k in a mini-ITX case (this guy) that currently doesn't have a video card (waiting for prices to drop). It idles in windows about 40C with a peak of 58C measured by Open Hardware Monitor. Is this running hot? Or is this normal for this CPU? I'm upgrading from a 2500k which runs a lot cooler. Might I have botched the thermal paste application? This is the CPU cooler I'm using.

I was planning on getting a blower design 1080 Ti but I'm a little worried about temperatures. I could do a hybrid card but I've never used water cooling.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Khablam posted:

What's the room temperature? How long is the system on before that's the stable idle temperature?
That might be a little high, the best way to test it is to load it with prime 95 v266 (not v289 or later) and see what it sits at.

Also check your motherboard settings to check it's not, for some reason, pushing a constant voltage. In your bios the voltage wants to be in adaptive mode,offset mode (overclocking) or leave it on Auto which will be perfectly fine for stock speeds.
If there's a value set it won't volt-down when idle and this will produce heat.

Room temp is about 75 and I left it on for about an hour. I'll check the BIOS settings when I can. I think the default was 1.1xxV, which didn't mean anything to me.

Mooktastical posted:

Get a new CPU cooler. The NH-L9i is insufficient for an 8700k, imo. Scythe Shuriken Rev. B should work better, and fit, RAM height permitting.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

edit2: actually, looking at the cooler I have, anything larger than this 92mm fan would make accessing the fan and CPU power pins nearly impossible. So if this cooler is indeed not enough for this processor I'll probably have to move to an AIO.

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 31, 2018

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'd chose the ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty itx based on this thread's recommendation.

I got this and just be aware the RAM slots are very close together. pcpartspicker failed to identify some incompatibilities, so if you do get this make sure you get RAM without crazy :pcgaming: heat spreaders.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Khablam posted:

ITX is an option if you are space limited and want a console replacement, in effect.
If you're building a $2k behemoth with a 8700k / 1080Ti with ~500w total TDP (before overclocking) you are going to have a horrid time.

Does using AIO CPU and GPU cooling mitigate this or is this just not doable?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So the new 20xx cards are out (well, announced officially) and I don't see any with an AIO cooler attached. Will those come later? I've got a dual-fan GTX 980 running in my ITX case and heat isn't a problem at the moment but I was planning on upgrading and I have no idea how much hotter these will run.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've done something wrong, then, because the other end is just out in the air with nothing nearby to attach to.

You should be able to press it parallel to the board, and there should be a C shaped cutout on the m2 and a screw hole on the motherboard. There's 2 lengths of m2 and the motherboard will have an offset thing in one of them.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well returning this motherboard, my Asrock Z370 Fatal1ty K6. It has a really weird electrical scratch coming from either the rear IO or one of the VRMs. Made absolutely sure it was none of my hardware, tested with a different PSU, no case fans or HSF. Quick Google shows other people having a similar problem. Guess I'll head to Micro Center Thursday and swap boards and hope the new one is fine.

I'm having similar symptoms with the ITX version of this mobo. Did you look into DPC latency? Mine seems to be down to that from the display drivers. Mind if I ask how you narrowed it down to the mobo's audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I put together a new 8700k build a few months ago, but held on to my GTX 980. I was planning on getting a 1080ti but they announced the RTX cards right after I bought the rest of it. Then there were a bunch of reviews saying the new cards had a high failure rate. Has this been resolved? My 980 struggles with some games at 3440x1440 and I'd like to be able to play BFV at better than potato-grade graphics (had to crank just about everything to the lowest to hit 60fps and even then it stutters when there's a lot going on on screen). I'm on the fence whether I should pull the trigger on a new card or deal with it until there's a significant price reduction if there's one on the horizon.