Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?
Purpose: Gaming/work/general use (upgrade)
Budget: Under AU$500

I'm looking at upgrading my existing system and just want to validate what I've picked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.00 @ Umart)
Total: $479.00

For reference I've got an existing GTX 760 which I think will do me for a little while yet, at least until the current gen card prices drop. From memory my current PSU is 430W.

Any problems with this build?

Also, what's going to happen to my existing Windows 10 install when I do this? Am I going to need to do a full reinstall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The part choices look fine. If you have an OEM license you will need a new Windows license since the license is tied to the motherboard, if it's a retail copy you can just reinstall, you would want to reinstall regardless because of the significant hardware changes.

Awesome. Thanks!