Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Is there a neutral source (not logical increments) that lists performance equivalents between AMD and Nvidia graphics?

A friend offered to let me borrow his 680 while I wait for Pascal, but I don't know how that compares to my worn-out old HD 6850

This one maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

Board partners are already teasing aftermarket cooler designs so you shouldn't be waiting longer than mid-June unless they're playing a seriously long Twitter game here. One hopes they'll also be a little less than $700. The monitor thread is indeed full of people buying $700 G-Sync monstrosities but I'm sure if you posted there informing them that you're not in fact made of money and are looking for a sub-$400 1440p monitor they'd hook you up with something good.

Are people still recommending those Korean IPS monitors?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

For what it's worth, I recently switched out my cpu+mobo and it continued to word just fine. No reinstallation, no entering a product key, though it was on 10 instead of 7. YMMV of course, but it's worth a try. Even if it doesn't work, you can call customer support, tell them you had to upgrade your mobo, and they'll likely help.

How recently? Because Microsoft just announced that they were going to be relaxing the rules about that, as long as you link your windows license to your Microsoft Account.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm a long time Mac user and console gamer who has been looking into getting a gaming PC for the first time. My hopes and dreams are: quiet, able to run Xbox One "exclusives" and crazy indie games, can be placed horizontally in my media center. I'm not looking for top end visuals, just 1080p/60fps would be nice....

Trying to pick out parts and research how to build a PC is stressing me the heck out though so now I'm looking at pre-built units to chillax and I found one that doesn't seem terrible?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/454949/Envy_750-171_Desktop_Computer

$720 open box seems like a pretty decent price for what it is. The major drawbacks are that it supposedly has almost no room for upgrades, and it's a regular tower so I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to place it sideways.

Is it a super bad idea? Am I missing any drawbacks? I have no PC gamer friends who can help me build something and it stresses me out!!!

I gave it a shot:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.84 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1086.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-06 16:37 EDT-0400

The video card might be a bit weak for a lot of those exclusives, since a lot of those Windows 10 ports are pretty badly optimized, (for sure in the case of Quantum Break, which is coded with a hard cap to run at 5/6th of your refresh rate) but I know from experience that that video card will run Forza Apex fine. If you wanna shave off some cash from that build, get an i5-6500 (no K) and use that with an H110 motherboard. It won't let you overclock, but it'll save you some money.

If you want to put a 1070 in there, that's probably a good idea, but the cards haven't come down in price yet and they're still really hard to find, so...

As far as temperature goes, if you're not overclocking your CPU or GPU, you're gonna be fine on temperature, Modern cases are much more sanely designed in terms of airflow, but the small form factor will limit your choice of CPU cooler if you want to overclock, since you're not gonna have room for one of those massive tower coolers.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

In general, it's kind of a tradeoff between small form factor and overclocking, since the coolers that work best for overclocking are really tall and don't fit in most small form factor cases.

I will say that small form factor PCs are more usable than ever, since a lot of the functions that PCs used to need expansion cards for have all been moved onto the motherboards themselves, with most people really only needing the expansion slots for a video card.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Raffles posted:

When I built my PC last year I was cheap and didn't put an SSD in the build. I want to change that now. If I buy, say, a 240GB SSD, how hard will it be to transfer Windows so it boots up from the new drive?

Most SSDs come with a utility program to do exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Since when has Monoprice started selling CPUs?

http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130706