Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I am looking for advice on upgrading to avoid getting a whole new system. I live in Canada and using my PC for 1080p gaming with high settings and database projects. I am currently using the following:

CPU: I5 2500k overclocked to 4.4 GHz
RAM: 8 Gigs of DDR3 1866 Ram
Mobo: MSI P67A-GD53
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Corsair A70
2 Mechanical Hard Drives (1TB and 500GB backup)
GPU: MSI 290 LE Gaming (Being replaced with a EVGA 6GB 1060 due to one fan dead on the card, no warranty, not liking the drivers with AMD)
Case: Corsair A540

I am looking to add 8 more GB of ram I got from a friend for free but the cooler I have blocks half my ram ports. I can take one of the fans off to put in the ram but it affects my CPU temp with a 15c increase. I am looking at a Kraken x62 so i can overclock my CPU some more, the CAM software is really good, and have a cooler that is future compatible with AMD or Intel motherboards for future overclocking and upgrading. I tired to look at another air cooling heat sink but the massive heatsinks are a major turnoff and I find them to be cumbersome when you need to do anything with the motherboards in the case. My only turn off is the price (185.99 CAD with free Shipping). Is it worth getting one or and getting a new one at the end of the year once Ryzen become more mature and I decide on what to get for a new CPU?

I am also looking at getting a SSD but I am getting conflicting advice on what to put on it. Do you just put the OS and games you play a lot on it? I am eyeing a 256GB SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The extra 8GB will run at the slower timings of the two, so if it's a 1600 stick, your 1866 stick will match it. That being said, adding an SSD will be the single biggest quality-of-life upgrade you can make to your PC, and while a 256GB drive is definitely enough *now*, if you can swing it, look into getting a 500-512GB drive, because it's not like it's not something you'll be able to grandfather into your next build. 256GB is OS + priority programs + 1-3 non-Steam games, whereas 500-512GB gives you the ability to use it as both an OS/important program drive in combination with a good 200GB's worth of Steam/non-Steam games.

Also, look into the Cryorig H7 over one of the gigantic baby-head-sized HSFs, it'd be worth not being forced to run your RAM in DIMM_2 and DIMM_3 (since it sounds like DIMM_0 and DIMM_1 are unusable) and lose out on dual channel.

I did some testing on the ram my friend gave me and because it does not have a XMP profile, it clocks it down to 1333. My current ram has a XMP profile and can hold my 4.4GHz overclock no problem. Seeing how I can get more of the ram I have but it being the same price as DDR4, I will stick it out until next year when I will be looking at a overhaul of the mobo, cpu and ram.

I was able to get my Corsair a70 not to block my ram ports by using some Raijantek Aeolus β fans as they are only 13 mm thickness and they do keep a great job cooling my HSF. So I saved some money by keeping what I got, cooling the HSF better and was able to get the ram into a dual channel mode.

I will be getting a 500GB SSD drive in the coming months. Seeing the speed first hand was incredible and I was really out of date on my information when it comes to SDD hard drives.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The extra 8GB will run at the slower timings of the two, so if it's a 1600 stick, your 1866 stick will match it. That being said, adding an SSD will be the single biggest quality-of-life upgrade you can make to your PC, and while a 256GB drive is definitely enough *now*, if you can swing it, look into getting a 500-512GB drive, because it's not like it's not something you'll be able to grandfather into your next build. 256GB is OS + priority programs + 1-3 non-Steam games, whereas 500-512GB gives you the ability to use it as both an OS/important program drive in combination with a good 200GB's worth of Steam/non-Steam games.

Also, look into the Cryorig H7 over one of the gigantic baby-head-sized HSFs, it'd be worth not being forced to run your RAM in DIMM_2 and DIMM_3 (since it sounds like DIMM_0 and DIMM_1 are unusable) and lose out on dual channel.

I did some testing on the ram my friend gave me and because it does not have a XMP profile, it clocks it down to 1333. My current ram has a XMP profile and can hold my 4.4GHz overclock no problem. Seeing how I can get more of the ram I have but it being the same price as DDR4, I will stick it out until next year when I will be looking at a overhaul of the mobo, cpu and ram.

I was able to get my Corsair a70 not to block my ram ports by using some Raijantek Aeolus β fans as they are only 13 mm thickness and they do keep a great job cooling my HSF. So I saved some money by keeping what I got, cooling the HSF better and was able to get the ram into a dual channel mode.

I will be getting a 500GB SSD drive in the coming months. Seeing the speed first hand was incredible and I was really out of date on my information when it comes to SDD hard drives(limited life spans and such). I will be getting one for sure.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Golbez posted:

That's a very old processor with a very new GPU, and it seems to trounce my old CPU and old GPU. I get roughly 1080p 60fps in Overwatch at medium settings.

Sounds like the main solution is a new GPU.

I have a i5 2500k and i upgraded from a r9 290 to a 1060 6GB. Everything still runs fine on the system at max settings at 1080p. Unless you got money to burn, keep the CPU you have and get a better GPU.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I need a santiy check before I pull (Im in Canada) : https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BcJKD8

My i5-2500K gave up the ghost last night and my p-67A motherboard is slowly dying as well. I am able to use the following for this build:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC GAMING
2 Hard Drives
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply

I have a $1000 [purchasing allowance for a new pc at my work.

I mostly am using it for Gaming at 1080p with the highest graphics I can get. I am also looking to some overclocking and using the AM4 platform for future upgrades on the CPU.

Is the Gigabyte board I have picked fine for what I am looking to do? I know Gigabyte hasn't had the most stellar rep in the last few years but the reviews are good on this and they have been keeping the BIOS updates regularly.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

While I am excited for what Coffee Lake brings to the Table, I am not excited about the lack of stock it currently has. I tired to get a 8600k but all the Canadian Retailers I tired were sold out on all the Coffee Lake models. I am looking at a upgrade within the next week as my work is offering a annual computer buying program and I need a new system as my i5 2500k is close to death's door with random crashing on stock speeds.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 9, 2017

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

priznat posted:

I don't want to dissuade anyone from upgrading, but seeing a post with 2500k crashing at stock speeds is it possible the thermal paste under the heatsink/fan has dried out and it would work ok again with a cleaning and fresh application?

I have a 2500k which is still running fine OC'd but just in case it starts to flake out before I upgrade it would be interesting to hear if this is a common, easily fixed issue..

Just tired it and did not change anything. I swapped everything I can to rule out the mobo/cpu at this point.

I made a build that will work better with my intended usage with the computer (1440p gaming) and it is cheaper than my first build I posted:

https://imgur.com/a/i25Qt

All the benchmarks I been reading is showing that 1440p makes all the coffee lake and ryzen cpus seem to be neck and neck on max frames, its only the min frames that is the big factor. I can deal with 5 less frames on min if I can get this pc working again.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 9, 2017

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

What's is Microsoft's position when it comes to major hardware changes with Windows 10 activation? I just installed a Ryzen 1700 on a x370 motherboard and it would not activate my Windows 7 key like it did on my Sandy Bridge system. Has the upgrades from Windows 7 to 8 to 10 made the key OEM and linked to the older motherboard? I tried my Windows 8 key and it did not activate either.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

alex314 posted:

I think the recommended way is to tie your windows key to windows account. So if you can get your old hardware running switch from local account to the global one, and then replace hardware.

I did do that but Windows is telling me that there is no devices that the license can accept when I run the activation troubleshooter and click on "I changed hardware recently' which Microsoft tells you to do. It might be from installing Windows from the Fall Creator Update media tool because the 2015 Windows Build I had installed before was before Ryzen and froze the pc after 10 mins. It did tell me that it was activated but not any more. Microsoft Support also just told me that if it was linked to my Sandy Bridge machine when I did the Windows 10 upgrade, then it is linked to it on my account so I can only use it with that dead setup. Support didn't care that the upgrade was to replace dead hardware and I could not use it.

Guess I will go the SA Mart and get a new key for this x370 motherboard since Microsoft does not give two shits about the matter.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 25, 2017

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

If you're going to OC buy the 1700. It includes a cooler which will handle a decent OC and at the end of the day you're looking at maybe a 50mhz difference when pushing as far as you can between a X and non X. Depending on cost difference maybe move to 3200 ram but that isnt a huge deal.

Only downside of the Wraith Spire is that it sounds like a jet engine when you put load on the CPU at all. It only gets worse when you overclock the sucker. I would look at getting a better heatsink fan because it is really noticeable and it actually scares animals.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I have this issue on a new ryzen build... swapped the PSU out, still happened. Ran memtest for 8 hours and it came back clean. :( I would RMA my motherboard but dammit I don't wanna be without a PC for a week. It's just random freezes, sometimes it will restart through them, other times it locks up entirely and doesn't restart. Happens at all times, when idle, when browsing the web, when playing games. No BSOD. :(

Did you do a fresh install of windows when you put the system together? AMD recommends that you do a wipe and clean install of Windows if your previous system was a Intel CPU. I had the same issues with my 1700 until I did a fresh install of windows 10 with the fall creators update. It is now running smoother than my i5 2500k was on anything 1440p.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

willroc7 posted:

What's the go-to motherboard pairing for an 8700k? Just looking for something stable that overclocks well and will last a long time. Fancy features, RGB's, etc are of no interest to me. What about if I go small form factor? Will that impair my ability to overclock?

Anything Asus or MSI. The Asus z370 TUF motherboards seem to be the price to performance kings right now.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

Heads up if you plan to overclock. Asus z370 TUF motherboards have Vdroop problems (due too poor power solution)and Asus doesn't plan to fix them since they are "budget" boards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/77f34b/for_those_with_lower_end_asus_z370_boards_dont/

I'd honestly go for an ASRock motherboard with good power phase delivery. Cheap and good quality.

Jesus, when I was trying to get a coffee lake processor, I almost went with one. I won't recommend that to people I know.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is it worth going to a 1070 now with a gsnyc monitor for 1440p 144hz or should I wait for Volta to come out and save my pennies for that? I have a 1060 6GB and it is playing what I play now really well at the moment but I am looking to get a more powerful graphic cards because I did not see that the monitor I bought is native 1440p than 1080p.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Taffer posted:

They'll probably go down from total-insane levels, but I expect they'll be higher than old norms for a while. We didn't see a spike this big during the height of bitcoin, this is just on the back of a rising cryptocurrency that's still easy to mine. As ethereum settles down, and after the boom-bust cycle of a couple more cryptocurrencies happens, people won't be as eager to jump on the bandwagon. But until nerds get it through their skulls that this is not an effective get-rich-quick-easy scheme (it will take a while, nerds are notoriously stubborn and immune to outside influence), we won't see the prices drop down to "normal". So don't hold your breath.

Is there signs that that this will bleed into the next generation? I was saving for Volta cards to get playable 1440p gaming on my rig but if they are going be inflated for the long term, I might put that money into Judo gis instead.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is using Optane memory on Intel systems a good idea? I upgraded to a 8600k from a Ryzen 1700 due to too many stability issues and Optane seems like a cheap upgrade to go with the new Gigabyte motherboard. My games are on a HDD with a boot SSD and the claims of ssd like performance is interesting. I can get 32gb stick for 77.99 CAD.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is the z470 am4 motherboards and second gen ryzen cpus more stable compared to the first gen? My buddy wants some PC building advice and I am hesitant to recommend AMD to him. I had a hell of a time trying to keep Ryzen working stable on the ASUS Crosshair VII Hero and Ryzen 1700 I used for the last year before going over to a i5-8600k last week to avoid the headaches of tweaking memory timings and disabling SMT every time my games and work applications would keep crashing(This was before the motherboard killed itself and the CPU).

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Are monster powerbars as hot garbage as the cables are? The local best buy sells them for 10 dollars on clearance from $100.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

As much as I love the Air 540 case, it is a horrible dust trap that I need to clean weekly. Is the Fractal meshify c decent at keep the dust out? Any other recommendations for a high air flow case?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

TorakFade posted:

I have the ATX meshify C non-mini and it's already quite small for what it is, they have some magic engineering and design going on there, I love Fractal cases. Other manufacturers you could look out for are Corsair (or do they really only have the 350D as microATX?), NZXT and Phanteks - but those are generally more "gaming-oriented" and either gaudy or pretty big.

Phanteks has: http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-mATX-TemperedGlass.html

NZXT has: https://www.nzxt.com/products/h400-matte-white

as said, those are "gamer" cases so clear tempered glass, RGB .... if you're looking for clean, simple stuff Fractal is your best bet I think.

My recent experience with shopping for cases has been really "love hate" with the changes in the design philosophy in the past decade. I accidentally sat on the side panel of my AIR 540 and bent it so badly it won't fit on the case properly. So I started looking and every time I found a case I loved the look of, there was clearance issues either with the CPU cooler (Cryorig H5) or the PSU(180mm length) I have. If I didn't have issues with those, it was always something like being a full size tower that took up a chunk of my desk or over 30 pounds before anything is put into it.

I ended up getting a S340 Elite as it was the same price as the h500 from a local retailer and pretty much the same.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

orange juche posted:

Keep in mind that like BIG HEADLINE said, prices are going up ~10% due to tariffs in January. So you've got about a hundred instead of 200-300.

Good thing I got my parts before January then, seeing how old Trump is slapping tariffs on Canada.

I moved my parts into a S340 Elite Case last night and the improvements they have made in case design in the last 5 years is wonderful. Moving from the Air 540, it is a lot tighter to get things plugged (Thank Christ for needle nose pliers) but the cable management was a dream and I was getting the same temps when I slapped two Phanteks High Pressure 140mm fans in the front.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't use anything *but* them. They're the only case fan I know that has a five year warranty.

The last time I used them, they sounded like a belt sander above 1000rpm. They barely move air when I had them at 800rpm. I replaced them with Phanteks fans and never looked back.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

There are better things out there no doubt but I still have to swear by the 212, its served me well over the last 5 years on my 3770k. But everyone seems to be going Noctua these days, as will I with the upcoming build.

Give Cryorig a look as well. The H5 was cheaper than the Nocuta and I got reasonable temps compared to AIOs on it. You might need a better fan as mine started to make grinding noises after 2 years, but I replaced it with a Phanteks fan.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I am upgrading my desktop from an i7-920 to an i7 9700k because I got a good deal on the 9700k from a friend who changed his mind and wanted an i9. So I bought a new motherboard and RAM to fit this new CPU I have.

I was wondering if it's still like the XP days where you basically have to format and reinstall Windows when upgrading due to driver conflicts and such. I do remember upgrading my CPU/mobo/GPU at the same time when I had XP and it completely poo poo the bed, but if I am remembering correctly I once took my Windows 7 hard drive from my laptop and plugged it into my desktop and even that drastic of a hardware change didn't mess anything up; Win 7 ran stable if I recall correctly. But I have the memory of a goldfish so that might not be the case.

Anyway let's just say for argument's sake that reinstalling Windows 10 is not an option, is my OS going to be a huge unstable mess because I upgraded the CPU and motherboard? (the GPU is staying the same).

edit: also can I expect to actually lower my power consumption with this new setup compared to my old CPU with DDR3 ram? Or is that such a trivial difference that it's barely noticeable?

You will need a whole new key for windows. Microsoft attach the version you currently have to your motherboard and CPU so you can't just upgrade and keep using Windows. Not only will you need to reinstall, but you will need a new key. There is a goon who can hook you up with a new key for a Windows 10 install for cheap.

TDP on the I7 9700k will be lower than the i7-920, but i would also look at getting a PSU as the processor you have is over 10 years old and I am assuming that the PSU you have is as old as the processor. Last thing you want to see is your new system have issues due to power issues or zap everything from failure.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So I am in the market for new hard drives as my current ones are getting pretty full and the prices on SSD are getting lower all the time.

I currently have:
Samsung Evo 860 250GB as a boot drive
Intel S565 SSD 500GB for Mulitplayer Games that need to load quickly
WD Blue 1TB HDD for Backups. Single Player Games and Multiplayer Games I don't Have room on my SSD to place.

I am looking at doing the following:

1) Moving the Boot Drive to my 500GB SSD and givng that to my brother.
2) Getting a Intel SSD6 m.2 PCIE 2TB ($260 on Amazon)to move all my games onto that.
3) Getting a Firecuda 2TB SSHD ($109 from Amazon) as a backup and some single player games where I don't need to worry about load times.

I just need a sanity check to make sure that I am not spending too much on this. I don't like keeping my important documents and files on a SSD due to my fears of a failure wiping the whole thing out. I also want to use some of the m.2 slots on my motherboard because it's easier to install that than wrangle cables to a another HDD drive.

edit: I'm in Canada so everything is more expensive by default.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Are noctua fans still the go-to for fans that are quiet under high rpms? I got some Thremaltake RBG Riing fans and they are already have whine pretty loud when they speed up on heavy load. I been looking at Silent Wings fans as well but it has been so long since I had to replace my case fans i don't know what's out there anymore.