Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Great job on the OP! Here is a little feedback: I think most goons here would agree the 390X is a better value than the GTX 980. It might be worth it to put a note next to the 980 that they are better off with a 970, 980 TI, or 390X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Is there a neutral source (not logical increments) that lists performance equivalents between AMD and Nvidia graphics?

A friend offered to let me borrow his 680 while I wait for Pascal, but I don't know how that compares to my worn-out old HD 6850

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

El Generico posted:

Is an upgrade from an overclocked i5-2500K worth it yet?

For gaming? It's on the borderline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxZiksWtRQ

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

The 4670k I imagine is in the top 10 gaming cpus right now. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I have a hard time believing its the CPU that's the issue.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Overminty posted:

Early rumours/leaks seem to indicate slightly better performance, slightly more expensive :v:

Everything I hear is the 480 is roughly equal to a high end 970 and the 1060 is roughly on par with a 980. At their price points they both seem like really good deals, that is if the 1060 shakes out that way.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

I have an old I7 920 build with a 660ti that I use infrequently, would it be insane to put a 480 in that thing and see what it can do, or would the cpu just be such a huge bottleneck that I may as well put that 200 away and save for a cpu/mobo combo then upgrade the gpu?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Would I regret buying this SSD as a media / dump drive? https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultr...ds=san+disk+ssd

It's cheap as hell for a nearly 1TB SSD, but cheaping out on a hard drive doesn't necessarily seem like the best idea. Anandtech liked it, but there are a fair amount of newegg reviews saying it died after 3-4 months of use.

It's nearly 1TB and it's a Sandisk for $165. It benchmarks well for a TLC drive: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1460?vs=1690 I'm tempted to get one myself now.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Yeah, screw it. I just ordered one. I'm going to be transferring all my data from a mechanical drive, so if it does fail I'll have some redundancy.

From what I understand Sandisk is good about RMAs, otherwise I would have steered you away from it.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

KingShiro posted:

Forgot to plug in the 8pin for the mobo on the psu :doh:

If it makes you feel any better any nerd worth his salt has done something equally as silly.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Check your ram, one stick at a time.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

IMJack posted:

Revisiting this from a month and a half ago.

I built it, and it's running great; thanks for the advice. I held off on buying a GPU because it was "wait for the RX 480" at the time. Do we know what the best GPU for this build is at this point? Thanks again.

What resolution/refresh rate are you going to be running? This is a gaming build I take it.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, for 1080p60Hz the RX 480 or GTX 1060 would be fine. With a higher resolution/refresh rate you could consider a 1070 to keep it locked down. But that would depend on the budget, RX 480/GTX 1060 will be enough to get good frame rates in most cases.

If you haven't already, I would definitely overclock that 6600k for an easy free boost. If you don't want to raise CPU temperature too much, try to find out what the highest clock speed is that you can get away with while keeping voltage at stock level (or even lower).

This is solid advice, I would add that you should take a good look at the RX 470 too, it's a really good value as well.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm putting a parts list together and had a few questions:

- For gaming, is there any benefit to the i7-6700 over the i5-6600 at all?
- I'm looking at an AiO cooler instead of something like a three pound monster like the Noctua D14 or D15,
- Do most cases these days have a spot for the radiator?
- Are they even quieter? I've heard that the pump noise is annoying or distracting
- I'd like to jump on nvme avoid sata entirely. Ditto 2.5" ssds. Is that a dumb idea?

quote:

- For gaming, is there any benefit to the i7-6700 over the i5-6600 at all?
A small one, you're looking at 5% max.

quote:

Do most cases these days have a spot for the radiator?
Yes

quote:

Are they even quieter? I've heard that the pump noise is annoying or distracting
They very quiet, but not silent.

quote:

I'd like to jump on nvme avoid sata entirely. Ditto 2.5" ssds. Is that a dumb idea?
Whatever floats your boat.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

An order of magnitude would imply ten times as good. A mildly less lovely website says it's something like 7.5 times as good so it's pretty close.

I use that site, since it uses a bunch of real world benchmarks you kind of get an idea of how things work on an average PC not just a perfectly clean test bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

I recently upgraded my monitor (from 1080p to 1440p @ 144hrz) and my gtx 980 is starting to show it's age. My CPU is a 5820k OC @ 4.0ghz and I'm looking for a GPU that will be a good fit for my system. The RTX 2070 seems like it won't be bottlenecked by my CPU and also seems like a decent value. I'd like to stick with nvidia as my monitor supports gsync. Any advice would be appreciated.