Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KDtZnn

How does this build look? It's about as close to top-of-the-line as I can reasonably afford (no $900 processors or 1k+ Titans for me). I've got almost all the pieces together now, just in time to hear about the Intel bug. I still don't understand whether it'll affect me, or how much, but it's kind of a downer that I'm gonna have to put a crippled processor into my cutting edge system. Will the bug make it worth going with the Ryzen 1800X, or will even a patched 8700k outperform the AMD chips?

Also, does the choice of monitor really add that much? I got a really good Black Friday deal on this 32" 4k monitor that I was going to use with the new system -- am I going to really notice that it's only at 60hz, or that it's not a 1ms response time? I want to use it as my gaming monitor/bedroom television for 1080p or 4k media, and it's so hard to find one in this size, because they seem to jump from 27" up to 40"+. I figured for under $300 it was a steal regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lastly, the EVGA G2's a decent PSU, but it's outdated. Look into the Corsair RMx, EVGA G3, or Seasonic Focus Plus PSUs, with a bias for the Seasonic as it's the newest out of those three and carries a ten year warranty throughout its SKU range.

Also, the 850W Seasonic is currently $99 after rebate, even though I have to admit you'd be overbuying for your expected wattage load: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151188

Here's my edited version of your config: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9b3LWX

There's definitely room in the budget to go back up to the Z370-E if you want the extra features.

What's wrong with an outdated PSU? I got the G2 for 90 bucks on Black Friday and thought well, it definitely supplies power, and it was a popular and award-winning PSU just a year or two ago, so...

I was never able to find a good guide to the differences between that whole line of motherboards, and I didn't know there was basically a 50 dollar premium on a couple features to go from the -A to the -E, so thanks a lot for that. I also didn't realize how much more SSD space I could get by dropping down to a smaller M.2 drive, and I thought the difference between them would be greater for gaming.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jtj4MZ

Does this look like a decent midrange build? I need to replace my living room PC which gets used for movies and gaming, and is hooked up to a 4k monitor that it's currently too old to get much use out of. The 1060 is just a temp until the new Nvidia cards come out and I swap in the 1080 Ti from my desktop, but I'd hope the 1060 would get me at least 4k desktop and video and 2560x1440 gaming for the next six months or so. I may want to move my Oculus Rift to the living room too eventually, so I wanted to make sure the motherboard could handle it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here's a retooling with a standard M.2 SATA SSD (you really won't notice the difference) where I managed to fit in a 6GB 1060 and still came in ~:20bux: cheaper: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tJzKXP

And for 2560x1440 gaming, you're *really* going to want the 6GB 1060. The 3GB is going to suffer even with 1080p Ultra settings in a few years' time, if not sooner. I also went with a Pioneer optical drive because it was $10 more for BD-R/RE, and it's worth :10bux: to not buy LG.

I'll be replacing the 1060 by the holidays, so I'm not looking to overspend on the 6GB version if I don't have to. Will the 3GB version hold me over until then? The goal is to replace the 1060 with my 1080 Ti and use the big living room monitor with this PC for 4k gaming, but I'd like some sort of performance in the meantime.

And there's really not enough difference between that Crucial drive and those new 970 Samsung EVOs to be worth it? I think you recommended against the 960 I ended up putting in my last build, and if I'm being perfectly honest I can't tell that it's much faster than the cheapo SATA SSD I had in the media PC I'm retiring. I'd be dumb not to take your word for it this time, but I just liked the idea of having a really fast drive. :)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for the advice, didn't mean to start a mini GPU war! I went with that cheap Crucial M.2 drive you suggested, and got the 6GB EVGA card against my better judgement. I just wasn't sure I should spend another hundred bucks on a card that I'm only planning to use for 6 months or so, but I guess I can always sell it, and I'm covered if there's an EVGA 1180 out by August.

I did stick with the NZXT case though. This thing is gonna be sitting in my living room and man, those cheap cases are ugly sonsofbitches.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

3. The Step Up transaction doesn't have to be completed within 90 days, you merely have to put in your request to be added to the queue within the first 90 days of ownership. They can take their sweet time in getting to you, but once you're 'on the list,' you're fine - it's just a matter of having the spare cash on hand to pay the difference, and knowing you only have a seven day window to go through with it. Expect the queue for an 1180 to be long - you'll be happy you ponied up a bit extra for the 6GB model in the interim.

Wait a sec, so you don't have to actually select a new card when you apply for the Step Up queue? So if I bought that card on 5/22, I should just apply for Step Up on 8/21 regardless of whether the new 1180s are out, in the hopes that they'll be out by the time my place in the queue comes up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but I put together a PC last weekend (with help from this thread!) using a Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 drive. Put it all together and the motherboard doesn't post, spend an hour or so pulling things apart to find that the drive is slightly bent and shorting something out. So I said gently caress it and pulled an old 128GB SATA SSD out of an older PC just so I could install Windows and test out everything else. New drive showed up yesterday, but is it even worth moving the Windows installation over? The SATA drive is some generic manufacturer cheapo drive I picked up for $60 like 4 years ago, but hell, I'm getting 30 seconds from hitting the restart button to getting back to the desktop. Am I likely to see noticeable improvement from moving over to the M2? I kinda like the idea of having the OS compartmentalized and having a giant game storage drive.