Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Holy poo poo, I normally am not one to pine over new tech but I may be selling my 980ti to get a 1080.

Am I nuts? I run a 1440p 165hz monitor so I actually need the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

The radiators are not solid. They're essentially a bunch of tiny pipes for The water. You attach fans to the radiator to ensure air flow across them, so that's not an issue. As for whether they're worth it, I have an H80i v2 which does a pretty good job. It's hooked up to an i5 6600K OC'ed to 4.4GHz, and I haven't seen it get anywhere above 60C. This is my first ever custom build though, so I have no idea exactly how that compares to air cooled.

"Solid" = good

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Deviant posted:

My concern is that the n200 case is pretty cozy. The only place a 240mm radiator would fit is in front, and then I'm preheating the air in the case. That's gonna put extra heat on the gpu. A 120mm radiator could go more places (rear exhaust slot or top slot) but I question if it's going to be effective.

I doubly question if any of this is worth it over a standard cpu cooler arrangement.

I've got a corsair cooler now and been using them for years with no issues, they also have a leak proof thing if something goes south.

Yea but the air is not that hot so it's no issue if you have adequate airflow. What you will have problems with is maintaining positive pressure, if your main intake (the front) has to pull through a radiator and a filter you will have to probably double fan sandwich the radiator if you have any other fans in the case blowing air out.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Chair In A Basket posted:

i wana build a PC for games of OverWatch an Minecraft. how much?

Assuming your not a troll, 800x600 resolution or 4K.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Just want a quick idiot check from you guys before I pull the trigger on this setup:

Better psu, less money.

EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-GQ-0750-V1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HA3RGE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aDv9xbSHFY938

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

DraegonX posted:

I'm planning on a big upgrade to my gaming desktop. After going through the suggested parts in the first few posts, I came up with this list. Any thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($425.56 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.88 @ OutletPC)

Few things

Bump that psu to the 750, it's not much more money and you will be closer to the efficiency curve, and you will have headroom.

Drop the ram to 16gb

The 850 is out of date, you can get a 950 nvme drive that will be much faster for 199 now.

Ditch the cd drive

Get windows on a USB.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I've never seen anyone recommend 750W for a regular gaming build. Are there really still efficiency gains to be had from going that high?

His 850 EVO seems fine to me as well, but then I'm not familiar with that other SSD you mentioned.

e: oh, I didn't know a new line of Samsung SSD's was coming out. Any word on retail prices?

199 for 250.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Tufty posted:

Hi guys. I'm in the process of choosing parts for a new gaming build, primarily for VR, and would love some feedback before I start buying :) Recommended specs for the Oculus Rift are an NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD 290, Intel i5-4590, and 8GB RAM. Their newly-announced minimum spec is an i3-6100 and a GTX 960.

Use: VR with an Oculus Rift and gaming on a 1080p 120hz monitor.
Budget: £700

Here's what I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Xvw7wV

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£181.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£88.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£37.94 @ BT Shop)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£69.07 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£53.21 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £511.09

Plus this Sapphire RX 480 4GB for £209 and a total of £720 ($885).

I'm going to cannibalize my existing PC to add an additional 1TB hard drive which is fairly new. The 8GB RAM is going to be a bit of a stopgap - I plan to add another 8GB in a few months because my budget was supposed to be £700 :)

How does everything look?

I also wanted to check if there's anything that will affect pricing quite a bit in the next two months - a new GPU or CPU release, or times in the year when prices can change or drop? I'd like to start building soon, but I can hold for a bit if there's anything on the horizon that would make waiting a month or two worth it.

Am I also right in thinking that I can take my copy of Windows 10 across to the new machine? I got the free upgrade from 7 to 10 so don't have a product key, but I've read that I can tie this OS installation to a Microsoft account and then use that to authenticate the install of Windows 10 on a new PC. I'm pretty sure the copy of Windows 7 I had installed wasn't an OEM version.

This just seems like a really bad idea, VR is in its infancy and throwing money at a "budget" build to be an early adopter just seems like a way to have a bad time.

Personally I would not venture down VR unless you are building out very high end, at the moment VR games are very indie and not that demanding and they still recommend a 1070, once we start getting major titles the demands to run these games are going to go insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The General posted:

Piecing together a PC a part or two at a time over the next few months. Picked up an i5 6600k this week. Pretty excited.

Yea this is horrible.