Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Just asking about the right timing to make a purchase on a new gaming build (United States):

Looks like the 8th generation intel chips are coming out October 5, but they are only doing laptops first.

All the info I can find says that the new desktop chips aren't coming until Q1 2018. Will the price on 7th generation drop next month, or do I have to wait until January?

Also, Intel is claiming a "once-in-a-decade" 40% improvement moving from 7th gen to 8th gen. I've never been a maxed-out-ultra-4k-settings gamer, so that usually wouldn't be important to me, but if it's really a 40% upgrade on performance I would consider dropping a couple hundred more or waiting.

So yeah, just looking for new chip info. Here's the source I used for everything I think I learned above: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-8th-gen-cpus-release-date-specs-price-2952599

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

Laptop 8th gen chips are coming out already, although only the 4c/8t 15W models so far.

The 40% improvement is pretty much completely going to be the fact that they're going from 4 cores to 6, and you could do the same thing with Ryzen (or even go to 8!) but Coffee Lake will clock up higher and have better performance-per-clock. As someone with a 6 year old desktop, I'm still not sure if I'm going to entertain the idea of a Coffee Lake system or just go ahead to Ryzen 7 on a platform that will hopefully last longer and allow for at least one CPU upgrade later.

Yeah, as someone who is shooting for a $500-$700 mid-range gaming system I don't think I'll be going for an 8th generation either.

But it would be nice if the 7th gen saw a decent sized discount after 10/5.

Fingers crossed!

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

This has never happened in the last 8 years, though.

Then why is right now a "really bad time to build a PC"? I would buy my parts today if I thought it was a good idea. As someone who is happy running 1680x1050 and wants a $500 rig, maybe it's not such a bad time after all?

I'm kinda green at this, sorry if that's an obvious question.

Thank you!!

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, if you're at a $500 budget, then you're probably getting either a Pentium or an i3 CPU. If you buy a Core i3 today, it has 2 cores. If you buy a core i3 in 2 weeks when the new intel CPUs are out it costs the exact same and it has 4 cores.

If you're buying a Pentium or Celeron of some variety or an AMD Ryzen R3, then yeah it doesn't matter at all.

Okay that makes sense, thanks.

I've been at 1680x1050 since 2010, so I guess I don't really know what I'm missing at higher resolutions. I don't really play modern titles though, the sole reason for this upgrade is MvC:Infinite which doesn't run at a higher resolution than 1200-something xx 1000-something, haha. Excited to do this on my own for the first time, I had a nerd friend helping me in 2010 but it doesn't look totally unmanageable.

See you in two weeks, goon sirs

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

If I'm unsure wether or not a game I want to play is being throttled by my CPU or my graphics card, how do I test that? Just look in task manager at CPU usage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Is it an awful time to build a top-end computer, or any build in general right now?

I'm looking to spend $500-ish and meet these system reqs, which looks totally feasible:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/678950/announcements/detail/1600332806227659565

Is it just the cost of RAM and GFX cards that are unusually high?