Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

ufarn posted:

Is the RAM dual channel if you buy it packs of one at a time? I never understood that whole system.

Watch this , bro.

It is a quick and dirty audio/visual understanding of single, dual, triple and quad ram configurations.
https://youtu.be/-D8fhsXqq4o

If you're on limited data, just yell. Someone will go into detail about it in this thread for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Q8ee posted:

Accurate.

Spent the past year and a half / two years telling myself there's no need to upgrade, as my PC was fine. And now that I've got an insane itch to upgrade my entire system, I can't. Can't upgrade my CPU because I need a new Mobo, and I can't do that because I need DDR4 RAM (of which I have none, I have 8 year old DDR3), so I'll upgrade my GPU to tide me over - but wait, GPU prices have been absolutely gouged and scalpers are having a field day and cryptominers are loving it up even more.

Yikes. I got a 1080 and not a day later, the price went up to £660 from £570. JESUS.

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I gave in and went to Micro Center (Ohio) to look at video cards. They had one (1) ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Strix 8GB for $547 USD (I think there was a 20-30 dollar mail in rebate too, I can't recall now). Nothing else, even remotely, close to that performance in stock. So, I picked it up. A lot more than I needed or wanted but I'm so tired of waiting to upgrade my entire system. I'm glad I got it. It's a huge positive difference in game play now. It replaced my old GTX 650 ti , lol.

I also bought two 8gb sticks of DDR3 RAM from Amazon. I wish I would not have bought it though. I had 8gb total RAM and a couple games were using all available RAM. I thought going to 16gb would help a little. I'm not really seeing any appreciable performance gains from the upgrade to justify the $130 USD. I certainly have plenty of RAM now. A shame it will be 100% useless to me when I do a MOBO upgrade.

I feel like it was a huge dick-move for Intel to require a motherboard upgrade for their newer CPUs so soon. I'm not very tech-savvy but it feels like a kick in the balls.

For me to see any more appreciable gains with my computer, I pretty much need to buy new Motherboard, CPU and (DDR4)RAM. I don't feel good about purchasing what is available right now. I'm not too keen with the BS involved with overclocking what I have either.

So, I wait to see what's available in another 6 - 12 months.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Q8ee posted:

how on earth are prices so cheap in the US? $547 to GBP is £391. I just bought a 1080 the other day for £560... What's with the GPU price disparity between US / UK?

I just looked at Micro Center's website for price and availability ;

That card (ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Strix 8GB) is now $979.99 USD !!! Holy sh$t!
Only one card in stock.

A 1070 ti is $919.99 - $949.99 USD.

Looks like I lucked out on that purchase! :cool:

Sales Tax, where I had purchased my card, is about 8%. So, 8% Tax in addition to the card's price.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

mkultra419 posted:

Microcenter has a message on their site that part of their response to the crypto video card craze is that there are in-store deals if you are buying single video cards as part of a larger purchase rather than the online advertised price. Has anyone on here gotten a deal like that? Does it drop it to a reasonable price or still very inflated? Finally got the nod from the wife for a system rebuild and this bullshit it going on.

Edit: Here's a link to the message:
Microcenter Video Card Message

We were chatting about video cards about 20 posts back ;

I bought an ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Strix 8GB for $546.99 with like a $20 or $30 mail in rebate and a game download code about 3 weeks ago. On their site, it is now $979.99 USD. Only one card in stock. Near Cleveland, Ohio.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
With Micro Center, you'll get their best deals if you're in store shopping. Most deals they advertise but there's sporadic not advertised sales too. (If you're able to get to one)

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

You should check out Dell Outlet:

Pablo Gigante posted:

Seconding the recommendation, Dell Outlet is great. I got a refurbished XPS 15 for way cheaper than new and it looks brand new

I'm thirding Dell Outlet.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Ashex posted:

I upgraded to a 4k monitor and have started having issues with photoshop/lightroom and it appears my CPU is now the bottleneck since I've got a GTX670 in there.

Is it worth upgrading my i7-2400 to another in the sandy bridge family? I really don't want to have to upgrade the motherboard/ram/cpu since I'm planning to get a new GPU whenever Volta is released.

If I was using photoshop at 4K, at least semi professionally, I would find some way to afford an upgrade to the newest chipset. With 4K, your CPU is now as important as your GPU.

You're stuck with the decision of spending a little bit of money to have a little gain in performance and productivity or spend a lot more money for a very large gain. There's really no middle or gray area now.

Personally, I'm not happy with Ivy Bridge systems at 4K.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Fans posted:

Would it be a considerable upgrade? I don’t mind paying a bit more if it’ll let me get back in to those juicy ultra settings

Going from a GTX 960 to a 1060 is very very noticeable. At least 50% better for many games. A game like GTA running at 1080p and ultra-max settings you'll get like 80%+ improvement ! At 1080p, the improvement is huge. If you game at 1080p, 3 Gigs of RAM on the card would be enough too.

We'd need to know your monitor resolution you're playing at, to know if you can hit ultra settings and still be playable. (and I don't know poo poo about Total War unfortunately).

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Why are LGA 1151 300 series motherboards so loving expensive? I just want a lovely $50 motherboard since I'm not buying a K series chip anyhow. I'm honestly wondering how much of a performance upgrade I'd get moving from my current i5-4460 to an i5-8400 anyhow. From what I understand memory speed really helps in modern titles?

If you're gaming at 1080p or even 1440p, you very likely do not need to upgrade your CPU. Even if it would be a K chip , there would be no need to overclock it.

If you're gaming at 4K or ultrawide , yea, upgrade it all.

If you're doing anything like video editing, you'll see a pretty noticeable improvement if you upgrade.

In real world , in a fire fight in BF1, with a current GPU like a GTX1070 , a good monitor and playing 1440p set at medium/high settings you will NOT perceive a difference in RAM speed.

It's complete bullshit Intel has forced us all into near complete system replacement just to upgrade anything other than the GPU.

Yes, the new chips are great for folks needing to do video work or other professional activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Fano posted:

This probably isn't the right thread for this, but any recommendations for a single monitor arm that will hold up this thing?

It's an amazing monitor but the stand is annoyingly large and gets in the way of the keyboard/mouse sometimes.

I'm interested in this too. I ordered this monitor yesterday and I'll need to set it up tomorrow. I'm worried about how much space that really nice but large stand is going to take up.