Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I need a strong media server build. IE: stream 4k, do some database and scripting stuff, serve filesystems to other location machines, run some VM's, do photoshop, that kind of stuff. Probably some at the same time (I wish I were kidding).

Are there recommendations for builds like that? I'd assume some kind of midtower, probably a bunch of disks for storage, help me out and kick me in the nuts for whatever is not sensible as a single server for all this. I'm open to recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

orange juche posted:

Streaming 4k can be quite intensive if you're doing it on your server's CPU, but if you use a GPU to do it, you can get away with some silly poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktKgfFfzeuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiyBy6s8vTg

Those are both for 1080p streaming, which to be honest, should be what you should be looking at. 4k streaming with transcoding takes a massive amount of CPU grunt, about 6 times as much per stream vs 1080p. That basically means you're not getting a build for under a thousand dollars, and probably 2000 would be closer unless you go even further and stuff an actual server CPU or HEDT part in it.

This is a lot within what I was looking for, I neglected to mention that it's basically plex + photo editing + some VM's running in the background. I don't really want to break above $3k but below that is probably fair game.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Professional day trading + Plex server + trading bot. Aiming for either a dell 49" 4k or the 8k monitor, depending. I want to make sure I can have a million windows open and still stream plex in the background for other people.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Probably limit is $5k-10k range excluding monitor, as I'm just going to use trading profits to buy something like that 49" dell curved 4k monitor.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Trading is super CPU intensive/significant numbers of windows so probably something like Ryzen 3900x as my bias towards Ryzen.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I don't care so long as it can render, but I have a Vega 56 lying around if it's enough to support either 4x4k or I can buy something else.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

I mean, with that kind of budget you can pretty much do whatever you want.
CPU: 3900x would be fine. It's also worth noting that the 3950x is supposed to release in November so if your trading software is that CPU intensive and can utilize all cores you might as well go with that.
CPU Cooler: Sustained load on that many cores means you'll probably want to get at least the Scythe Mugen 5 or Noctua NH-D15 (I'm only familiar with air cooling so I can't speak for AIOs).
Motherboard: For compatibility peace of mind and to be sure you've plenty of VRM capacity for that many cores it's probably worth going with the Asus X570 TUF Gaming, though the usual B450 recommendations (Tomahawk and Pro Carbon) should work as long as you're not overclocking. It's rumored that the 3950x launch will also bring B550 chipset boards but I don't think that's confirmed or even if we know that they'll be available for non-system integrators any time soon.
Memory: The default suggestion is 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200 kits. If you know that your software could use more then you can go for 32GB (2x16), might make sense if there's that much multi-tasking and Plex in the background.
Video Card: Are you doing 4x 4k or are you doing a single large 4k/8k monitor? I wasn't sure from your description how that was going to work. If you're not gaming then the single display should be able to run on even just a 1050. For multiples you'd probably have to make sure the card had the right number and type of output. In this use case It might also be appropriate to go with something like a Quadro P1000 which is cheaper than the 2060 Super, has 4 mini DisplayPort and is supposed to be great for driving 4k displays/signage but I don't really know enough about Quadro to know if that makes sense or how that might affect your ability to use the system for other applications if wanted, especially when today's gaming cards can basically do the same stuff. The Vega 56 might work, I think it supports MST daisy chaining with displayport too even if the card itself doesn't support 4 monitors at once from its direct outputs.

Even going 32GB on RAM, Noctua cooler, 850w PSU, and a 2070 Super I wasn't breaking $2k unless I tried.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1810.25

I've always been a fan of Noctua's in my builds, and I was honestly split. I want 4x 4K, but wife wants 1x-2 4K displays max and arbitrarily isn't ok with 4 displays, so I may even get two of those eventually. I'm fine with a 2060 super if that's basically the common recommendation lately. I was avoiding quadro/workstation cards solely out of fear that plex's GPU leveraging for rendering would screw it up. I mean, a lot of my video I stream is like 80mb/s and if I get a new camera that may go even higher, sadly. I'm sure I'm missing a lot because the current CPU is an i5-4690 so I missed 4K friendly rendering. I'll probably aim for 64-128GB ram in case I need to spin up some VM's, but aside from that I like this as it gives me a general estimate on cost lately. I was planning to go NVME, but I didn't realize 1TB NVME is now $110 - that's amazing.

lol uh....that seems a bit more expensive and they didn't even compare it to anything 3900's?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 28, 2019