Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
1) Going through Memory Qualified Vendors list while trying to build a Ryzen 5 1600X + B350 chipset motherboard is so annoying. I don't think I've ever come across a chipset/motherboard that's seemingly incompatible with the vast majority of RAM out there. This is also my first AMD build since something like the original AMD Athlon64 chipset.

My actual question is I'm looking to buy a Corsair H80 for the cooler and I have zero experience with water cooling or these AiO solutions. The very fact that it's AiO has me very intrigued and I want to try it out.

Can I get some real world experience with this particular one or any suggestions? I'm not really looking for a dual-fan radiator setup either. Also, if this is a wholly bad idea and you are deeply offended and wish death upon me for even thinking of such a setup please also share.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It'd be purely as entertainment / video game hobbyist machine and not really workstation stuff. I'm actually quite keen to give the Ryzen CPUs a go so to be honest I haven't even looked at the new Intel launches.

Right now I'm running an i5 4460 on a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard. Guess I'll go look into the 7600k.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't get a Gigabyte board. When you get to the store, you'll find they're the cheapest - and there's a good reason for that.

The cheapest board they sell (using my local one as a gauge) that I'd have no issue using in a computer of my own would be this one: http://www.microcenter.com/product/473034/TUF_Z270_MARK_2_LGA_1151_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

I'd probably pay a touch more and get this one, though: http://www.microcenter.com/product/473025/PRIME_Z270-AR_LGA_1151_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

What kind of board would you recommend for a B350 chipset then? 1600X build. I was actually gonna get the Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 board but your post made me pause. I was originally going to go wit hthe ASRock B350 Pro4 board but... I changed my mind for reasons I can't remember now.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, I was really picking at more brand reputation and characteristics. I've pretty much always ran ASUS boards forever but this build I decided to go with an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 and I haven't been impressed. A lot of glitchy behaviour and SATA issues.

Guess I'll be going with that ASRock board after all.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Argh, ok, does anyone have a Ryzen 5 1600X + B350 build? I WAS going to go with the ASRock AB350 Pro4 and G. Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 whose product ID was listed in ASRock's memory QVL list but what I see is a couple reviews of people running that exact same build and running into numerous issues of BSODs or won't even POST. Hell, AB350 Pro4 just sounds like it has a ton of memory compatibility issues.

I've looked one slight step up to their dumb ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming board (I'm trying to avoid all the absolutely stupid RGB/LED/Gaming bullshit as much as possible but not against actually buying something of that sort if it's actually the best thing to get) and I haven't seen as much in regards to RAM issues.

I'm probably going to buy stuff this very day in the afternoon and would love to know if anyone is running a B350 chipset and what kind of RAM you're using? I'm looking for minimum 2400mhz and 16gb.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Check http://rymem.vraith.com/ - verified ram speeds through CPU-Z for Ryzen stuff. Doesn't appear to be a ton for that particular board unfortunately. I know from checking random stuff on MC that if I were to pick I'd probably pay the premium for the Fatality because for whatever reason its QVL list is much more inclusive.

Oh poo poo, this is awesome! Thanks. This should hopefully prove very helpful.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Check http://rymem.vraith.com/ - verified ram speeds through CPU-Z for Ryzen stuff. Doesn't appear to be a ton for that particular board unfortunately. I know from checking random stuff on MC that if I were to pick I'd probably pay the premium for the Fatality because for whatever reason its QVL list is much more inclusive.

Ok, this site actually has me hella confused. A lot of the RAM listed for B350s apparently don't have any verification pictures of CPU-Z and some of the RAM listed for like the Fatal1ty (gently caress that 1) AB350 Gaming K4 board isn't actually listed in ASRock's own memory QVL so I'm not entirely comfortable taking a gamble there.

Corsair (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) DDR4-3200 16GB kit here is listed on the rymem site but no where to be found on ASRock's QVL. Hmmm.... I might just take the gamble anyway and hope for the best considering what a shitshow its been so far trying to find RAM.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Bought'n'bought. While I prep my poo poo to build this fucker any benchmark software besides 3DMark and PCMark that I could use before I break this down and build a new one so I can have that side-by-side comparison/disappointment?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Arivia posted:

Save yourself some trouble right now and double-check to make sure if the cooler comes with the right AM4 mounting brackets or if you need to order them from Noctua themselves.

Yeah, it does. That's what the SE-AM4 stands for. It's the special edition specifically for AM4 and doesn't come with any other mounting brackets.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Phone posting to say the Noctua is literally the biggest thing I have ever handled computer component wise and I spent a good chunk of time just laughing at it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Everything's up and running but gotta head to bed now. Installed Ryzen master and the temperature looked odd. 35 degree but it would spike to like 44 then back down.

I don't know if this is normal for a 1600X but I had a feeling i put too much thermal paste.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

underage at the vape shop posted:

I'm just triple checking everything

CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Thats the serial for the ram I was going to go with for a ryzen 5 1600x build I'm checking the QVL for the asus prime b350m-a board:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350M-A/PRIME_B350M-A_Memory_QVL_20170522.pdf

The ram is 3000mhz. On the qvl it says it supports it at 2133, and theres another entry saying it supports it at DOCP2933. What does that mean? Does that matter?

E: Ok for Ryzen it supports it at DOCP2933. Is that important? Should I pick another board?

I just recently did a Ryzen 1600X build with a ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K board and I initially went with this:

which was on the QVL for the board but I kept running into stability issues and it would underclock from 2400 to 2133 even with the latest BIOS updates. Exchanged it with some (I have to admit, very nice looking) Kingston HyperX:

and poo poo has been great. Stability is there and it's running at the correct speed with no tweaking needed. It looks like that Kingston RAM is on the QVL list for that ASUS board as well.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

NLJP posted:

Aren't the GAMING brand boards usually loaded with a lovely bluescreening ethernet controller or am I out of date with that one

the Killer one

edit: never mind, I see it's now recommended in the OP so presumably it is now fine or I misremembered.

The OP says NOT to get the lovely Killer stuff and I can vouch for it as I finally moved away from my MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard and it's horrible bandwidth gimping Killer ethernet garbage.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Running an ASUS Prime B350 Plus board right now and it uses a Realtek ALC887 chipset for audio. I'm about to uninstall and reinstall my audio drivers particularly the ASUS-branded Realtek HD Audio Manager as everything suddenly sounds... hollow? Muffled?

I was running an ASRock Fatal1ty B350 Gaming K board which has a Realtek ALC892 chipset and, for the week (if that) that the board was alive, it didn't sound this bad. The ASUS onboard sound actually doesn't sound very good to me and I can't find any of the typical settings like virtual surround sound or some "Premium ux ux ux" bullshit settings that might be on. So if completely reinstalling the drivers doesn't fix up the purely subjective audio issue I was curious about sound cards. Yeah, I know, I read the OP and I personally haven't had a soundcard since like the early 2000s.

I'm looking at the ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 for roughly $50 CAD. Any suggestions?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

axelord posted:

It might be something simple like if your monitor has built in speakers it's defaulting to using those rather than your actual speaker set up, when you installed the new motherboard.

Nah, it's not that. Maybe I'm just being hypersensitive with new hardware. Driver reinstall didn't do it and doing my own reading into sound cards really, really don't make it sound worth it. Meh, maybe my 10+ year old Creative T40s are on their way out.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Stangg posted:

I bought and built this PC, are there are post install tips you have for getting the most out of it. When I went into the BIOS to sort out the M.2 drive I noticed that the RAM was showing a speed of 2133.

Same problem I had with an ASRock B350 Fatal1ty board which I think is practically the same as yours and Corsair Vengeance RAM albeit at 2400 instead of 3200. Updating to the latest version of the BIOS didn't help me but try that first. My solution was to return the Corsair RAM and buy Kingston and it ran at the correct speeds out of the box. ASRock's memory QVL seemed particularly stingy with Corsair and demanded that certain versions of the RAM were to be used (3.31 or whatever) when I last checked. :shrug:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We also recommend the Cryorig H7: https://www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-Tower-Cooler-Intel-CPUs/dp/B00S7YA5FQ

It's a bit more expensive, but it's better-engineered than the Hyper 212 EVO. In both cases, look up the vertical clearance necessary to fit them and ensure there's room in your case first.

Only an extra.. $83 for someone to come to your house and install it for you. What a racket.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
e: actually, nevermind

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ok, I've got a huge temptation today and I need to know if I'm doing something reasonable.

Canada Computers has the GIGABYTE GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB on sale for $599 CAD which is apparently $40 off their regular $639 CAD price.

My current card is a MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB card. Would going to that particular 1070 be a huge noticeable upgrade or would it be more of a side move? I was thinking of waiting for Volta and see what those cards are gonna be like but with the consumer cards being a while I was thinking of picking up this particular 1070 and selling my RX 480 on eBay (and, yes, I realize I missed out peak-bubble). I also have a 750 Ti and 550 Ti (please don't judge my video card buying habits) to sell as well to hopefully recoup a chunk of that $599 but I really don't wanna go ahead with this if its more of a slightly better side move than anything.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I have a 1TB Green with IntelliPower. Even if you come across one for like 10 bucks don't bother.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I use it for mass media storage and it still sucks. The IntellPower thing (which I don't even see on Western Digital's site anymore) shuts off the drive when not in use and sometimes there can be a rather long delay when you double-click something like a folder or file and it takes several long seconds for it to turn the drive on, spool it and actually access it.

Yes, I'm that petty but god drat is it annoying when you're pairing it with a SSD and you 're going from instanteous to "welp, give me a second while I get the ol' pull start goin' on this hard drive here gotta adjust the choke'n'all".

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They also have a lifespan that's pretty garbage even if you're not trying to run an OS on them. Greens are the only WD drives I've ever seen poo poo the bed with bad sectors inside a year of being used, even just as a file-storage drive.

Huh, really? I've had mine for a few years now honestly can't even remember when I bought it with zero lifespan issues and the like. Maybe I lucked out then with mine in terms of reliability.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
For Canadians: seems like GPU stuff has been consistently on sale for a while now with 1070s typically on sale for $600 CAD and now I'm seeing 1080 Tis back under $1000 CAD. NCIX has an EVGA 1080 Ti on sale for $989 with free shipping.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm looking for a new case to replace my crusty old Corsair 300R.

I'm looking for:

1) Full size ATX tower (no mid/compact ATX like the 300R)
2) Ideally as quiet as possible
3) No stupid windows/tempered glass
4) Sub $150 CAD

Is this even realistic with the $150 target or am I looking at $200? I'd ideally not go over $200 at all before tax.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Arivia posted:

You are now in the Define R5 club. Technically a mid-size but it'll fit whatever you want to put in it: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352048

Ehh I see this case everywhere and actually did a build for someone else with one. It's certainly an option if I can't find anything else but I'd prefer not to go with an R5.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

MaxxBot posted:

Phanteks Enthoo Pro would be a good choice, it's a pretty drat big case and is well featured for the price.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854004

Huh, I don't really care much about the industrial design but that price for a full tower is pretty enticing. Gonna read up on this a bit more.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Rexxed posted:

I bought one after watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

The Enthoo Pro is a nice case with good features. I own the one without the window to have the black monolith appearance. It is very large, though. They later introduced an M model which is closer to a normal ATX sized case. The Fractal Design R5 is a bit smaller (no E-ATX) but is still roomy and is a pretty popular case. A lot of people in the thread have purchased them so you might consider it as well.

Holy poo poo that video makes it seem like an absolute steel at that price point! Thanks for sharing that I'm definitely leaning heavily towards that Enthoo Pro.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
God drat, Phanteks seems amazing.

I'm now torn between my desire for a big fuckin' quality case (Enthoo Pro) and apparently a new Eclipse P400S came out which is a Silent Design. May have been out for a while but they're both in the same price bracket right now.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811854004

$119.99 + $9.99 shipping for the Pro

vs.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854030&cm_re=phanteks_eclipse_p400s-_-11-854-030-_-Product

$104.99 + $14.99 shipping for the Eclipse P400S

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ok, made my decision. I'm gonna go with the Enthoo Pro. It seems like insane value for money and ultimately I'm gonna go with big case with maximum cooling. Thanks for the help, people in thread.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
You definitely don't need 850W for that sort of system. I'd personally go way lower like 600W and just maintain the 80+ Gold certificate.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Maybe I'm crazy or don't really pay attention but what's peoples opinion on MSI products in here?

I don't think I've ever really seen anyone recommend them in general. Typically a lot of talk of ASRock, ASUS and Gigabyte while GPU talk tends to veer towards EVGA or ASUS & Gigabyte.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Macksy posted:

Im trying to put together a ryzen build, ive managed to get it to finally turn on, but thats all I get. According to the motheboard's led debug feature the cpu and ram "do not detect or fail" and I dont know what else to try. The cpu has no bent pins and ive tried the ram (single stick) in each slot and nada. Pc part picker says all the parts are compatable. Any ideas? Id love to get this working and not have to send more partsback to amazon.

Did you connect the 8-pin power connector for the motherboard in addition to the 24 pin connector? I forgot once when doing my build, lol.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Thom P. Tiers posted:

My Ryzen5 build is up and running smoothly. Played some PUBG last night and it ran great! Should I unlock my RAM speed in BIOS somewhere? I checked cpu-z and it says im running at 900MHz and I bought some ddr4 3000 sticks. Should there be some sort of frequency setting in the bios or would it be under the overclock section.

I have this board: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M%20Pro4/index.asp

Wait, what? 900MHz? Not even 2133MHz?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I just received and finished transplanting my computer into the Phanteks Enthoo Pro and I am NEVER going back to a mid-tower. Holy poo poo, was this extremely painless and there's so much room to manuver and the cable management straps on the back were pretty drat handy!

Highly, highly recommend this especially since it's only 119.99 CAD.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Question about AIO water coolers for CPUs (and, hell, I guess GPUs) too. Really ignorant question since I have no experience whatsoever about AiOs: do the fans on the radiator run at a constant RPM or are they like any typical PWM fans following a fan curve based off temperature?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Don't be surprised if that DRAM kit you've been looking at goes up in price. According to IC Insights, the average selling price (ASP) of DRAM has more than doubled in the past 12 months and is still on the rise. Looking at 2017, the market research firm expects DRAM pricing to jump by 40 percent or more by the end of the year, which would be its largest annual increase ever (going from January to December).

"Just one year ago, DRAM buyers took full advantage of the oversupply (excess capacity) portion of the cycle and negotiated the lowest price possible with the DRAM manufacturers, regardless of whether the DRAM suppliers lost money on the deal. Now, with tight capacity in the market, DRAM suppliers are getting their 'payback' and charging whatever the market will bear, regardless of whether the price increases hurt the users’ electronic system sales or causes it to lose money," IC Insights says.

These price hikes are being passed onto consumers, as one might expect. Take for example this Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2400 memory module. It was selling for around $36 a year ago on Amazon, but is now priced at $80 (it was hovering close to $90 recently). The same goes for this Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4-2400 memory kit—it's currently listed at just under $154, versus $73 a year ago.

Adding insult to injury, IC Insights says all three remaining major DRAM suppliers are pulling in record profits. Micron is one of them. It reported a net income of $1.65 billion on $5.57 billion in sales, giving it a 30 percent profit margin for its fiscal third quarter in 2017 (ending in May 2017). This is after losing $170 million in its fiscal fourth quarter in 2016 (ending August 2016).

SK Hynix is doing even better. In the second quarter of this year, it reported a net profit of $2.19 billion on sales of $5.94 billion, resulting in a 37 percent profit margin. That's up from a $246 million profit in the same quarter a year ago. And with only a few memory chip makers remaining, there isn't likely to be any relief on pricing, at least anytime soon.

"Previously, when DRAM capacity was tight and suppliers were enjoying record profits, one or more suppliers eventually would break rank and begin adding additional DRAM capacity to capture additional sales and market share. At that time, there were six, eight, or a dozen DRAM suppliers," IC Insights said.

We've offered this advice before but the bottom line here is that if you're need of a memory upgrade and spot a good deal, you should probably pull the trigger.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dram-prices-could-skyrocket-after-already-doubling-in-the-last-year/

yay, it just keeps getting better and better :D

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

The Slack Lagoon posted:

If I'm planning on building a coffee lake computer what ram should buy now?:aaaaa:

A new hobby :smugdog:.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

:thunk:

Corsair Force LS 120GB SSD.... riiiight, I think it's time to replace it, heh. It's my main OS and all that's on it is Windows really and non-Games applications. I didn't realize the performance degraded this much.

I'm looking at potentially replacing it with an M.2 drive of the same capacity. There's the Corsair MP500 for about $117 CAD off Amazon but I've read this guy gets really hot like 75 to 80C plus I've been pretty iffy on Corsair's build quality.

There's Samsung's 960 PRO but looks like it starts at 256GB and same deal with WD's black. I don't know where to start with M.2's so are there any suitable alternatives to Corsair's MP500 with a capacityo f 120GB? I don't need more for my main OS drive (i have 58GB free right now on it still).

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Paul MaudDib posted:

Hah, that's actually the way they have always been. I have a Force LS 120GB in my old fileserver, and this is a hilariously lovely SSD even by the standards of a V300 or something. The only other one I've used that was as bad was a couple refurb Transcend 64 GB SSDs I got for $30 a pop. Mixed IO bench:

Well, good to know. I just spent a bit of time reading up on all sorts of reviews and the Corsair MP500 just seemed to be in the sweet spot in terms of capacity and price I wanted to pay. Ideally I would have gone with a Samsung 960 Pro but that's a massive price jump over the MP500. Seems like the MP500 is a good buy and with prices projected to skyrocket I pulled the trigger on a 120GB MP500 for $137 CAD after tax off Amazon. Probably going to seem like a steal in a couple months time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The ASRock B350 Fatality I had died in about two to three days. Probably just bad luck on my end since ASRock seems to be a popular choice here?

Bought an Asus b350 prime after and been working like a charm with proper ram compatibility and all.