Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

thechosenone posted:

So from what I can tell, the market for pc parts is just bananas these days in terms of pricing, so I'm wondering if it is just better to get a prebuilt if I want to get a new computer this year? Is there a particular place or places I could go to for this?

Yeah I wanna know if it's still worth attempting to build a new rig is instead of grabbing a prebuilt as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alpha Mayo posted:

Microcenter near me has a Ryzen 1700X, 1070 Ti, 16GB RAM and 480GB SSD desktop for $1150. They are definitely worth checking out.

That sounds nice

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Cryptocurrency miners are buying all the GPUs. If you look at ebay you can see closed transactions where people are paying more than $600 for used 1070s. Prebuilt PCs are the best option by far right now.

Guess I'm gonna need some suggestions. :sigh:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

If you look in the past 2-3 pages there examples of a Dell and a microcenter prebuilt that are good deals.

Thanks friendo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also I really like these suggestions and I'm glad you gave me them. :)
Are there any other prebuilts people are suggesting right now?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Microcenter's desktops went up 300-400 bucks. :/
Guess that Dell prebuilt is the only deal right now.

Which one is that again?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does microcenter do yearly sales?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

February has historically been "builder's month" and they usually have some decent sales.

Just for parts?
I guess I'll wait then

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Yep. My dad and I have built our last 4 machines in February and looking at email threads they always had great deals on Mobo/CPU bundles and such

So would it start on February 1st?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is newegg crap for prebuilts? :thunk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Newegg does sell Cyberpower, iBuyPower, and ABS systems, and all of those are decent - though the former two are the ones I'm most familiar with and would be confident in recommending. Acer, ASUS, and MSI's prebuilts - Acer offers the best low-end, MSI the most perks, and ASUS the best name and parts. ASUS and MSI have hit-or-miss service and support, though - while Acer has a decent number of certified repair centers around the country.

And obviously, if you've got one reasonably close by, Microcenter has great prebuilts. Ugly utilitarian cases, but good prebuilts.

I have a cyber power prebuilt that lasted me five years or so and I was looking to build my own until I saw the prices for cards and went. :eyepop:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And obviously, if you've got one reasonably close by, Microcenter has great prebuilts. Ugly utilitarian cases, but good prebuilts.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/488123/G500_Desktop_Computer
How does this one look?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only questionable thing about Micro Center's Ryzen builds is they pair them with such anemic RAM. Ryzen is picky about RAM, but it performs better with higher-speed memory. The DDR4-3000 they use in their enthusiast Intel boxes is on the QVL sheets for most Ryzen boards, so it's a bit confusing. That being said, even with the slower memory, it should be a solid computer.

Of course, no one knows quite when AMD will be launching the Ryzen refresh. It's not Ryzen II - more like Ryzen+.

I'm really just looking for the upgrade, they got a Cybertron gaming PC with very similar specs for 100 less so I might get that instead.
The rhodium

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dell had like 10% off coupon code + I had some other dell stuff I could use so I got an Inspiron Gaming Desktop because I'm really boring. :geno:
specifically this guy: http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/vls

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I figure that I'll just replace the video card whenever the crypto bubble bursts though that did look nice. :)
I also really wanted a desktop with front USB ports and a nice utilitarian design.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I do appreciate all the help you folks have me though

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Pre-builds are rarely actually prebuilt.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah I pulled the trigger on it since I can wait and it will make a nice birthday present for myself. :sun: