Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Hello, I'm posting here asking for feedback on my current build list. I live in the US. This system will primarily be used for gaming but also basic 3D work in Maya and Unity as well as quite a bit of Photoshop work. My budget goal is to keep everything under $1500. One of my main gaming goals is to be able to run GTA V online at 1080p resolution with 60 fps. I've been told that this hardware is more than powerful enough for that. I'm mostly posting to see if anyone can point out incompatibilities between the mobo, processor, video card, ram, etc. Any recommendations for different cases, keyboards, or monitors are welcome as well. Thanks a lot for any feedback!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.26 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($81.24 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: LG 24GM77 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech G510s Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($24.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1250.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 22:33 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

dema posted:

Do you care at all about color fidelity while doing this 3D and Photoshop work? Because both of those screens are asstacular.

Gaming is the real priority here. I think for my purposes, this monitor should work well enough for both though. Did you have another one in mind you think would be a better value for my needs and budget?

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

dema posted:

I sure wouldn't be happy with that. I'm sitting here with that same monitor in front of me (Asus VG248QE) and both an HP ZR30w (30" S-IPS) and a 13" MacBook Pro Retina next to it. I've spent a good bit of time on the display settings and the color is only barely acceptable to me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3c8fpi/the_old_thread_for_just_bought_a_glorious_asus/

The Asus is great for gaming though! Love the 144mhz.

Thanks for the link. That could be very helpful for me once everything is put together.