Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Not hard set, just looking for a solid build per dollar to replace my ancient (9 years come April) rig
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Currently using a hand-me-down (free) 1680x1050 paired with my old 1440x900 from my original desktop (the one that I'm finally upgrading from... with many still original parts) as a 2nd monitor... probably will look to upgrade to 144Hz 1080p or 1440p at some point, but not necessarily post-haste--least I hear fantastic things about them from a variety of sources, but still have my reservations

Already picked up a new GPU because I noticed my 5 year old HD 7950 fans were in rough shape: they have two speeds now, on and off. Which meant, due to fan profile, it was idling at 80C since they were off till then--not sure how long it was like that, but managed to find a "reasonably" priced 1080 (relative to prices now) and jumped on it and slotted it into my ancient rig for the time being. More GPU than I wanted/needed, but I'm hoping with a bit of mining to get it down to a more reasonable level (figure if I can recoup a good chunk then it'll be a better card than I wanted at the price I wanted *crosses fingers*). Also snagged RAM that seemed like a good deal given the current RAM price situation and PSU at good price (10 year warranty, little cheaper than the 550W model after sale + promo + rebate). Still could technically return the RAM/PSU unopened (won't receive till sometime this week) if a misstep was made with either.

Based on my previous ancient rig, must haves:
  • Quiet--my ancient rig has been loud between less than stellar case fans (and only one front intake, one side), stock CPU cooler, and initially a noisy GPU till it died. I want it to run as silent as is possible at a reasonable price point rather than perpetually audible.
  • Good airflow/temps--another thing my case did poorly with few, 90mm noisy fans.
  • Modular PSU *Check*
  • Cable routing. Think most modern cases have this, but the lack of this and modular has just been the worst experience doing anything with my current rig.
  • Configurable drive bays--I hate that I have one 3.5 inch (9 year old WD Caviar Green... somehow still alive, I full back it up periodically... not that it contains anything important), one DVD drive (:laugh: 2009--a different time), and 2 SSDs (laying about) in there and the entire front of the case is packed with useless air flow blocking drive bays (that also makes full size GPUs a very tight fit).
  • Ease of cleaning. I slack on cleaning my PC, but feel like I'd be better at it if it was easier--in particular I think I'd like front intake fan filter access without moving the case at all.

Beyond that: I read back some pages and it sounded like the i5 8600K was the recommended way to go rather than mucking about with 7th gen. I have a Micro Center nearby so the question is what mobo to bundle with (tentatively went with middle of the road with rebate; I hadn't planned on OCing, but wouldn't be opposed to a modest one if the temperatures and noise were in check). I was thinking something on the more reasonable price range for CPU cooler (Hyper 212 EVO, Cryorig H7, etc.) more focused on being quiet than supporting OCing, wasn't sure if there was any good recommendations/deals floating around outside the two "standard" options I noted. When I looked into upgrading some time ago that never panned out, I liked the look/sound of the Nanoxia's so I dropped one of their cases in there; not sure if there's better options around a similar price point (including suitably quiet fans if it's a case that doesn't include them) these days; definitely prefer a low-key, functional case.

I was planning on bringing over my 500GB 840 EVO, debating snagging a 1TB Caviar Blue now, in the next couple months during a sale (think I saw it low $40's on Amazon at some point--sitting in cart just in case), or running my ancient Green until it actually kicks the bucket and acting then.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.98) (Micro Center Bundle)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ Newegg Marketplace) (Hyper 212 EVO? Something else good around price point?)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($0.00) (Micro Center Bundle)
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For $170.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (Purchased For $565.00)
Case: Nanoxia - Deep Silence 3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $75.00)
Total: $1309.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-14 15:13 EST-0500

Thank you for advice/recommendations on CPU/mobo bundle, CPU Cooler, and Case or any other thoughts for improvement.

bUm fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

TheFluff posted:

The i5-8600K is quite overpriced even if you're intending to overclock it (it's $150 more than the i5-8400 for maybe 5-10% better performance at its stock clocks), so if you're not sure if you want to overclock, I'd strongly consider getting the i5-8400 instead. Even on an 8400, you can easily get the stock turbo clock on all cores at the same time with a Z370 motherboard (it's usually a BIOS option called "multi-core enhancement"). If you want it to be quiet and stock turbo is good enough for you, either the Cryorig H7 or Coolermaster 212 Evo are both better than the stock cooler. For stock turbo any Z370 motherboard is fine; the one you have is a decent mid-tier board that'll take you about as far as a single tower air cooler can go, if you do end up getting an unlocked CPU.

If you want your computer to be quiet though, you definitely want 5400rpm HDD's and you want as few of them as possible. I upgraded my rig recently and found that my pair of 2011 vintage 7200rpm Hitachi drives were louder than the fans at idle, even when they were just spinning and not seeking, and it was a more obnoxious kind of noise too. They needed replacing anyway so I actually ended up getting a NAS instead just to get spinning drives out of the computer completely.

As far as cases go: I have no experience with Nanoxia cases, but Fractal Design is generally the go-to option for cases that are quiet but don't sacrifice airflow completely (doing so is counterproductive anyway because you'll end up having to increase fan speed to keep cool, raising the noise level anyway). The Define C or Define R6 should both be good. I have a BeQuiet Dark Base 700, which is indeed very quiet, but it's also quite overpriced at MSRP and it does breathe a bit worse than I'd hoped. The other part of getting a quiet computer is buying decent case fans with a large PWM control range - the Corsair ML series is a good choice here. Two big fans (140mm if you can fit them) lazily spinning at a few hundred rpm are almost inaudible with a decent case and will provide enough airflow for light tasks. Tweak your fan curves in the BIOS for best effects.
Not sure if it was unclear or I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but I listed the CPU price as the price of the entire bundle including mobo (rather than trying to pick out the individual cost of each factoring in the bundle)--the 8600K itself at Micro Center is $250 (bundled with that mobo, ~$40 cheaper than buying both separate online), while the 8400 looks to be $200 (cheaper online)--so only $50 cheaper and less factoring in a more expensive non-bundled mobo (no Micro Center bundles for 8400).

Interesting--I think I'll stick my old HDD in there and see if I notice it, have an old laptop drive (came with 1TB 5400 RPM I swapped for an SSD immediately) I just have in an external enclosure I could stick in there.

Looking at cases more: maybe something newer is a good idea; seems like most of them a decent bit more though (especially given plenty don't come with the 2 front intake fans, just one and then buying one). Those Corsair ML fans sound neat, but probably a little more than I want to spend on fans.