Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So it looks like I need a new CPU to handle games now. Running an i5 2550 with a 760, minimum spec for bf1 is i5 6600 and 660.

If I buy one of the non overclocking motherboards in the OP, does that mean its not ideal or that they flat can't. Cause in another 5 years when I get to this stage again I'd like to overclock, but I won't until then. I'll also have to buy windows again won't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

min spec on bf1 is bullshit. people ran it well on systems way lower than minimum in beta

I get a fucktonne of lag in multiplayer and my cpu sits at 100%

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

thats not the whole story, what settings and what is the gpu load

lag is internet, do you mean stutter and dropped frames?

Frame drops all over the place, not sure what the GPU load is. Everything is the lowest it will go.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
FWIW I had excellent performance in the SP.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VelociBacon posted:

GPU load will be 100% as well most likely.

How can I log it so I can see? CPU usage i was going off the logitech app thing on my keyboard

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I can't find the xbox app when I search for it, but pressing win + G in game, the record last 30s feature is disabled. Should I disable shadowplay?

Also thats very not good. This is me sitting on the loading screen. I'm gunna go buy a cpu cooler tomorrow and see how it handles BF1 then cause the oem intel one is 5 years old, and well.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 23, 2016

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

HMS Boromir posted:

Yep, looks like your CPU is overheating and throttling. The throttling should have prevented any permanent damage so hopefully you'll be good to go with a new cooler.

Who knows how long its been doing this though :(

Did a test round of overwatch, 90 degrees. Thats a game I've never had issues with graphically.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So what would give me the better bang for buck performance wise? i5 2500- i5 6600k or 760-1060? Getting a new cooler lowered my max temps in BF1 to 60 degrees and it's playable, but I get drops when big things happen. I don't know map names yet but the linear forest one played really good until there were a tonne of friendlies on my screen.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's a non K. Currently both the CPU/GPU are running at 100% in BF1. Game looks fine on low to me, but I want steady frames, no drops. Also I'm Australian so its gunna cost a fair bit more for either option

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VelociBacon posted:

You keep mentioning the 100% thing - games will cause 100% load on cpu/gpu for basically every system.

I'd say go for a GPU but honestly I don't even know much about the 2500 because the whole point of that chip is to get the K one so you can overclock the poo poo out of it.

I wasn't smart in like 2011 when I bought it. It's gunna cost me 600ish for a 1070, less for a 1060, or 700ish for an i5 6600+16gb ram+z170

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 26, 2016

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=35880

http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=35726

Whats the difference between those 2? Why does 1 get double the fans for the same money?

Whats the best 1070?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Its a little confusing that an objectively worse card is the same money by the same company

I'll swap to the MSI one, cold is really good. What do you think of this ram? Its the cheapest 16gb DDR4 at umart, doesn't have the fancy cost adding heatsinks
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=37487

E: And this motherboard for a ryzen 5 1600x
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=38368

Going for a decent gaming rig, have a harddrive and SSD already. I just need a CPU, Ram, MOBO, GPU, and a new PSU just to be safe.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 10, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I'm not gunna be looking at it. I thought the heatsinks did nothing of value except add cost?

E: Thats what I got told ITT last time I got ram anyway. That was probably years ago though.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 10, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Alright so my final build:
Stuff discussed ITT already
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x $345
MOBO: Asus Prime b350M-a $119
GPU: MSI 1070 $589
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=37110

New stuff:
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256SSD $139
HDD: WD Blue 2tb $94
This is in conjunction with a WD Blue 1tb and samsung 840 evo (I think) SSD that are a few years old from my previous PC

PSU, I currently have an antec edge 650w. It came out in 2013, I'm not sure if I need to replace it or if I can keep my old one? is 550w enough to power everything so far?
Old one:
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=706887&fid=5022132&lan=nz

Stuff recommended to me already:
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=33430
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=38753

RAM
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=33296
Corsair 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 $189

CPU Cooler
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=19152
That should work with AM4 right? It doesn't explicitly say on a lot of them

Also, wheres the best place to buy Windows? I figure I have to rebuy it because I'm getting a new motherboard? I'm currently running windows 10, that was upgraded from windows 8, that my friend got for free from his uni. I'm pretty sure the license was supposed to expire when he graduated but I still get updates and I have no way of knowing whether or not it counts as an OEM key or anything like that.

Can anyone recommend a good case with excellent airflow? . I kinda like the looks of this one
http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=34747
But I know 0 about airflow. My priorities are airflow and price, but I'd prefer to have something subtle if possible.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 14, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is the only AM4-certified cooler on UMart: http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=38408

That Coolermaster will likely require this since it doesn't explicitly claim it comes with it: https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cooler-master-amd-socket-am4-for-hyper-series-coolers-mounting-kit-ac04987

That's the most frustrating thing about the Ryzens - so many of the aftermarket HSFs work, but only with adapters.

I'll grab that then. What are your thoughts on the PSU/case situation? They are the parts I'm not so sure about

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If I am happy with my 1920*1200 monitor and have no plans for the forseeable future to upgrade to 1440p+, would a 1060 be a good choice as a money saver? Will it max out current titles (and hopefully some future ones)? I really just want solid 60fps and for the games to look good.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Prettz posted:

Yeah the 6GB 1060 will keep you good for some time. You have to go up to gimmick resolutions with AA maxed on current games to get FPS under 60.

But the prices on 1060s are currently going insane at every outlet. Everyone's buying them up so stores are charging whatever they please.

Yeah some of the prices are a little ludicrous

http://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=36087

How is that one though? Looks like it has good cooling?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Prettz posted:

$365 dollars for a $240 card. Awesome.

I think all the 2-fan ones have good cooling. It pretty much just depends on what style of cooling you're looking for. For my case, I want one that blows out the back, so I'm looking at the PNY one.

240 usd? Umarts an aus site, so gotta pay australia tax + our dollars not great

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Thats like saying you have a corolla in terms of how much info it gives, intel had been using 'i5' as a name forever. Its the numbers after that tell people how old it is.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm just triple checking everything

CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Thats the serial for the ram I was going to go with for a ryzen 5 1600x build I'm checking the QVL for the asus prime b350m-a board:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350M-A/PRIME_B350M-A_Memory_QVL_20170522.pdf

The ram is 3000mhz. On the qvl it says it supports it at 2133, and theres another entry saying it supports it at DOCP2933. What does that mean? Does that matter?

E: Ok for Ryzen it supports it at DOCP2933. Is that important? Should I pick another board?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 18, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

defaultluser posted:

3000 isn't actually a valid DDR4 ram speed - it has to be supported by less common multipliers, and support really depends on the motherboard. So I wouldn't worry about "support" only being to 2933.

The valid numbers are 2133, 2400, 2667,2933, and 3200. It's at 266.6 intervals.

I assumed the numbers not matching perfectly would just be a naming thing, it was the DOCP thing I was iffy about

Drakhoran posted:

When you boot up the motherboard it will read the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) on the RAM to see the proper speed and timings to run the RAM at. If you check the Tech Specs for that RAM kit you will see an SPD speed of 2133MHz at an SPD voltage of 1.2V. Anything faster than that is technically overclocking it. Intel has an extension to SPD called XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) which allows memory companies to include standard overclocking settings for their RAM. This way you can just go into BIOS and enable XMP rather than having to set all the memory timings manually.

Since XMP is an Intel thing you can't directly use it for AMD processors but motherboard makers generally include some way to read the XMP data and translate it into AMD speak. DOCP (Direct Over Clock Profile) is Asus' version of this. So yes the QVL says you should be able to run that memory kit at 2933MHz as long as you remember to enable that in BIOS.

This is a really good explanation. I'm assuming the bios thing will be really straightforward? I think I'm ready to build this pc.

Wirth1000 posted:

I just recently did a Ryzen 1600X build with a ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K board and I initially went with this:

which was on the QVL for the board but I kept running into stability issues and it would underclock from 2400 to 2133 even with the latest BIOS updates. Exchanged it with some (I have to admit, very nice looking) Kingston HyperX:

and poo poo has been great. Stability is there and it's running at the correct speed with no tweaking needed. It looks like that Kingston RAM is on the QVL list for that ASUS board as well.

I'll keep this in mind and keep an eye on it, and see what kingston options I can swap for if I have issues. Thanks!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
man the etherium poo poo has hit aus prices, this is garbage.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No worries - I'm honestly in the same boat as you, coming up on seven years with my own PC, but I've resigned myself to wait for *Cannonlake* instead, which is the CPU coming *after* Coffee Lake, hopefully around Q1'18. I am a bit cautious, though - I've been hearing a lot more about people's Sandys and Ivys "giving up the ghost" recently. :ohdear:

If I were forced to upgrade in short order I'd probably just go with a base-model Sky-X build with 32GB of RAM. I've got to do *everything* - pretty much the only thing I'll be able to grandfather to a new build will be the ML140 fans and Blu-Ray writer that I've used maybe 20 times in the past ~7 years. I don't even know if Thermalright makes an adapter for their original Silver Arrow to fit LGA2066, so that'd be another ~$80-120 for a new CPU cooler. =/

If it's possible, we should really amend the thread title to say "it's a really bad idea to build a computer right now, inquire within."

Is going with ryzen a bad idea rn? I thought the threadripper release was just a ryzen 9 equivalent, so nothing big to care about unless you specifically want a super good cpu?

Or is it just a bad idea to build atm if you want to stick with intel? Ive always stuck with intel in the past and I picked the ryzen 5 1600x specifically because of the intel thing. It seemed to be ~~equal depending on the review at a similar pricepoint.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 25, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So I bought a hyper 212 turbo that the coolermaster site says works with am4 out if the box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fsWaSHyTA8

Did I get jipped? Am I supposed to force it?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The one I bought is the first one pictured under air cooling

It says on the front and back of the box it supports am4 too

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ah, for some reason I saw "turbo" as EVO. =/

So what do I do?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Which would mean they put an old version in a new ones box. No physical stores near me sell the bracket so I have to wait for it to be delivered

What a boner kill

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Actuarial Fables posted:

The older versions don't have the two slits that yours has, so you have the newer model compatible with AM4.

The latch you're having issues with doesn't seem to be fully set in the heat sink. It's sitting up at an angle unlike the other side. Try re-fitting it and see if you can get it to lay flat.

It's sitting up because the other side is attached. If I take 1 side off, the other is too short to reach. Looks like just the bracket is wrong then.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 27, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

eszett engma posted:

The cooler isn't centered on the CPU. Shift it towards the PCI slots a bit so that the cross piece on the arm is between the two taller fins.

Yeah I'll get it more centered. Apparently it is supposed to need a shittone of force.

It was off center there because I had the bracket out before I started recording and put it back in 1 handed.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So I got my cooler on, and got in the bios. I saw the ran was running at 2133 so I hit the auto xmp button. Now I cant hit post, its stuck in a reboot loop. I think I should have updated the bios first, what do I do?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 28, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The board should give you the option to reset with a physical switch - failing that, take the CMOS battery out for a few minutes, drop it back in, and try again. That should clear all BIOS settings and bring you back to stock. If you do take the CMOS battery out, I always take the precaution of disconnecting the ATX leads, and if the board has a manual power button on it, holding that to discharge any latent electricity stored up on the board's capacitors. The hazard isn't from touching the battery housing, but from what else your hands or fingers might brush while you're doing it.

Some boards also have it programmed into their logic that after 'x' number of failed POSTs, they auto-reset the CMOS.

Sweet thanks!

Im updating the bios now, is hitting a big red auto xmp button the wrong way to do this? I've never really messed around in the bios beyond selecting boot drives

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So, ive had a few days of my pc going well. I played some playerunknown battlegrounds, on ultra, and my pc died after 5 mins. It wouldnt restart and I've narrowed it down to the gpu frying. How do I tell if its a bad card, something I did, or the psu (evga g3 supernova 650)

I swapped gpus with my old computer. Both work with the dying 760, neither post with the new 1060.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rexxed posted:

If more than one PC won't work with the video card, it's most likely the video card.

I mean, how do i tell what killed it?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Anyone in Australia, you can get the msi 6gb gaming x+ cheaper than the base 1060s at umart right now. They forgot to put the prices up. You get faster memory and probably better binning

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'd be pretty picky about something that costs nearly a grand too

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
wouldn't cheese drip down the sides and immediately fry the cpu?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Bigsteve posted:

I'm looking at building a new system, will be for 4k video/photo editing with some games thrown in.

Should I be looking at Nvidia cards for the gfx? Is the cpu beefy enough? Trying to keep as close as I can to a £1k budget and still have to add a case and a few cheap bits. (I have an ssd sitting unused so will be using that)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£169.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Lite 120 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£37.13 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£77.00 @ Ebuyer)

Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£129.99 @ Ebuyer)

Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£68.34 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Dragon Video Card (£248.99 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.98 @ CCL Computers)

Monitor: AOC - Q2778VQE 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor (£199.97 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £1002.39

probably go with intel instead or get fast ram, ryzen performance scales heavily with ram speed

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 10, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Im helping my brother install his pc, weird that his atx motherboard doesnt line up with all the standoffs. It doesnt use the outer 3, and it uses an matx position

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

kloa posted:

Those may be for eATX server motherboards :shrug:

Nah its an atx case, it just straight up doesnt have holes on that outside edge. Asrock pro 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My friend changed cases, nothing else changed but the case. a 2 month old system. now he has a metallic smell. could it just be the case