Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I really want to know what you're planning on doing with 16 watercooled cores and a GPU from the mid-late 2000s. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, it I wasn't primarily using my i7-3820 for gaming, I'd drop one of those in instead. Hell, I'm considering it regardless.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

What country are you in? The true north strong (except for our dollar) and free :canada:
What are you using the system for? Gaming, mostly. Some video encode,
What's your budget? Don't really have one right now, just putting out feels.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? I do light video encode (1080p60 rendering in Sony Vegas).
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz. Quality is important to me, but framerate > 90 is too.

Here's the deal. I currently have an i7-3820 (LGA 2011) at 4.0 GHz and an ASUS DirectCU II R9 290. I have some framerate issues with the graphics up to a decently high setting in GTA V and some other recent games and I'm wondering whether I should be going for a new GPU or a new CPU first. Sandy Bridge-E is getting on to be close to five years old so I'm thinking that going to Skylake might be a good move.

Either way I'm probably going to end up in the hole for $700 CAD, but I'd like to know what I should be in the hole $700 CAD for.

e: Well, I had an incredible CPU bottleneck in WoW tonight, so I guess that answers my question.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 14, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm that idiot who has a quad-core HEDT processor, namely the i7-3820. I need more oomph, and this thing doesn't overclock worth a hot poo poo. Is it worth grabbing a used i7-3930K for $200 CAD or should I save laundry quarters for a Skylake build and embrace the future?

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 5, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just need a quick sanity check on this. Have 650W PSU and a GTX 1070 already, as well as a case and drives and peripherals.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($449.85 CAD @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 CAD @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 CAD @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.99 CAD @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $889.82 CAD
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-20 02:49 EDT-0400

The other motherboard I was looking at is this one: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. Is there really much of a difference between these two other than price?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hey guys, my SB platform is giving out on me. Looking to do something big and shiny and hopefully as long-lasting as SB was. Already good for GPU/PSU/case/storage, so not including those, but does this look solid? Mostly asking about the cooler and the board since I haven't dived too deep into the mess that is the huge number of Z370 boards. Prices in CAD.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($489.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($97.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($208.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($214.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1011.96

The 8700K may seem a bit overkill, I dunno, but it's going with a 1080 Ti and targeting 120 Hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Yeah that's perfectly fine, it's pretty much identical to what I'm planning myself. I was gonna say you could probably save 30 or 40 bucks on the motherboard without compromising on overclocking potential by switching to an Asrock Extreme4 or something, but then I looked at Canadian PC part picker and the usual Asrock candidates (Extreme4 and Taichi) are like $350 for some insane reason??? No big deal anyway, I'm actually planning on the same motherboard as you are for rather silly brand loyalty reasons - Asus has never failed me personally and they do have a solid reputation for quality. The Z370-A isn't exactly a top tier overclocking board but it's more than enough for any kind of air cooled setup.

I've had a Gigabyte board for the past five years and I've had nothing but nutty problems with it. The UEFI implementation is crap, the setup screen is crap, and I can't even enter the setup screen if I have my DualShock 4 plugged in when I hit the power button. I've heard much better things about ASUS.

TheFluff posted:

Just remember to check that huge rear end cooler fits in your case. I know you probably did it already but I've been very close to forgetting it myself.

Oh, it'll be fine. I'm still rocking a Cooler Master Cosmos S. :getin: