Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TalonDemonKing posted:

Like I said, it's just some stuff I'm doing at this internship. I've always been weak in the 'Picking PC Parts from a catalog and not loving it up'; so the teacher is having me do this kind of stuff.

So far what I need it do:
1) Small form factor (Apparently this is important for the A+ test?)
2) Able to stream to multiple devices (High amount of cores)
3) No network storage (Large internal storage)
4) Capability to play videos directly to a TV (Needs video/audio cards?)

I don't expect y'all to do this for me, but if you could spread some knowledge to me about picking parts, I'd appreciate it.

There's a handy guide with rules-of-thumb for media servers.

You're going to stream at what resolution? Just serving data or transcoding? If it's just shovelling data into the network, anything this side of a phone CPU is ok. If it's transcoding 1080p for multiple screens simultaneously, an intel i3 (for 2), or even i7 (for 4+) might be better.
AMD is worse than intel at most things currently. Their processors may have a lot of cores, but each of these cores is piss-poor while turning lots of power into waste heat. Unless you have dirt cheap electricity, a high tolerance for loud fans, and lots of AMD brand loyalty, buy Intel instead.

If you have no network storage, you probably want a big dumb data hard drive. Assuming your budget isn't unlimited, that means a HDD rather than an extra-large SSD, so get a big 4TB hard drive from WD/Seagate/HGST (avoid scrub tier poo poo like surveillance HDDs and WD Greens). You want a tiny (120GB) SSD to put your OS on because it's 2016 and tiny SSDs are cheap.

You don't really need an awesome GPU (yet) since most transcoding is still done via the CPU iirc. If you want to connect screens directly, normally, any motherboard will have enough display outputs (so like displayport/hdmi/dvi/vga ports) to max out your CPU integrated graphics' capabilities (usually something like up to 3 screens). If you want more than that, congratulations, you're the rare use case for buying some pricy GPU with an excessive number of displayport outputs.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

daspope posted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($82.98 @ Newegg)

This is the assortment of parts I've bought over the last ~18 months. I have a heavy mid-tower ATX case that I would like to replace. I've started with the recommendations in from the thread, but this is proving quite a bit more daunting than I had anticipated. I believe I want/need ~2 2.5 internal bays, 1-2 3.5 internal, 0-as few as possible external, 2-3 PCI slots (GPU and wireless), and as minimalistic as reasonable. Obviously, I'll need a new motherboard, but I'm trying to figure out mATX vs ITX within the available cases and parts I own.

Aero Cool DS Cube - I kind of like it but it's not actually that small.
Cooler Master N200 - Seems nice but on the lower end of quality

Fractal Design Node 804 - I think I like this, more drive space than I need
Fractal Design Node 304 - I might have psu/gpu collision
Corsair 380T
Corsair Obsidian 250D

My non-modular PSU might be a bit on the larger side at 5.91" x 3.39" x 6.42" (150 x 86 x 163 mm). I plan to grab a 1070 or whatever makes sense later this summer.

I guess I'm looking for any strong opinions that people have about these small cube or similar cases. I'm also realizing that I might have trouble finding a good Z97 mITX or mATX board.

edit: If I really want to pull off a smaller build, would I be better off not trying to reuse my CPU?

Ok.

1) sorry, but I have bad news: You could have gotten more modern and better parts for cheaper if you'd just saved the money and bought now, with the added benefit of being able to return broken poo poo.

2) You have an ATX motherboard. If you wanted a small PC you bought the wrong part. Go get a Fractal Design R5, which is a mid-tower, and has enough drive bays etc
If you want a smaller motherboard with 3 PCIe slots (PCI is obsolete), go get the first Z97 mATX board from Asrock or Asus you can find. They're all sufficiently good. mITX only ever has 1 slot so if you need anything more than wireless (built in for some mITX boards that have stuff like ITX/ac in their name) and graphics you're SOL. mATX case: Fractal Design Define Mini. mITX case: Fractal Design Nano S.
Don't throw out your parts yet - they're not bad and you can get a couple of years of life out of them. Consider getting more RAM though.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

daspope posted:

To clarify a bit, I paid less for those parts a while ago. I know I can't use the ATX board. I was trying to figure out if it's reasonable to transition to a smaller build with some of the not too old parts that I have. I suppose I should just edit that down to the CPU and PSU.

This just may not be the most reasonable thing to do. I might be better starting a new build and selling these parts.

also the SSD. Most ITX cases have enough space to cram an extra 2.5'' drive in. No need to sell anything besides the ATX motherboard.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

I've noticed that the GTX 980 doesn't really have a home in the OP. Do the X80 cards and now the 1080 sort of always land there?

The GTX 980 is much more pricy than the GTX 970 but doesn't actually provide much more graphics power. If you want to go higher than a 970, you might as well skip the 980 and get the 980 Ti instead. It always depends on how Nvidia's lineup turns out whether the *80 card of the current generation is worth it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have a 960 now (pc built about a year ago). I have a pretty small case so I'll need a version that isn't bulky, but any reason I can't swap in a 1070? My PSU is 550w so I should be able to accommodate the power increase.

It will work.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Saukkis posted:

Probably not. This came up in the GPU Megathread and how I understood it, is that the step up is valid for only 3 months and you can't step up to graphics cards that are in "limited availability" as defined by EVGA. I would expect the new cards to have limited availability for the foreseeable future. I have a hard time thinking what is the step up program good for. Pretty much the only scenario where it's useful is if you buy a too powerless card by mistake and can't return it to the store.

Basically yes. I suppose you can use it if 970s are still not sold out when 1070s are dirt common, but it's probably not going to be worth it vs. just buying a 1070.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

tuyop posted:

I don't think I understand. The psu is an external laptop charger that plugs directly into the motherboard, which has a 24-pin ATX port. The board came with a two-way ATX to SATA splitter. I'm wondering if I can just buy a cord like this that adds more SATA power plugs to the existing splitter, or if I need to go with a full (SFX) power supply. The current psu would be powering up to 5 drives (3x2.5" and 1 3.5" HDDs and one SSD) and maybe a low-profile GPU someday.

tuyop posted:

I don't think I understand. The psu is an external laptop charger that plugs directly into the motherboard, which has a 24-pin ATX port. The board came with a two-way ATX to SATA splitter. I'm wondering if I can just buy a cord like this that adds more SATA power plugs to the existing splitter, or if I need to go with a full (SFX) power supply. The current psu would be powering up to 5 drives (3x2.5" and 1 3.5" HDDs and one SSD) and maybe a low-profile GPU someday.

oh so you got one of those funky things. I didn't realise they provide SATA power back out the ATX connector :psyduck:

Check the wattage of your power brick. Subtract your CPU and graphics TDP. Figure 5W for an SSD and 15-20W for a HDD spinning up. Unless you have an enormous power brick you probably end up with no more than 3-4 drives total before your system's peak power gets too high.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

nuclear_cheetos posted:

So I plan on changing my current platform of choice back to the PC after like a 5 year hiatus. A shitload of unfinished console titles and the overall cost of ownership increasing for little benefit has forced my hand (also I want to play Undertale and other indies before they get to PSN and not pay 20 dollars for something that's routinely on STEAM for 3 bucks).

This is a pretty vanilla Skylake build but my intention was to give it a decent amount of headroom for overclocking with the CPU and the memory. Effectively I'm going to grab a loaner card from a friend and use a 1080p television as a monitor until I decide if I want to go all in or not, and if I do I grab an actual monitor and likely a GTX 1080, if I don't it's getting a GTX 1070 and being used as a living room PS4 replacement.

The only real benchmark is Overwatch at locked 60, which I think this should be able to do, my only real concern is the power supply being strong enough to OC.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $784.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-12 13:01 EDT-0400

* Cheaper and still good CPU cooler
* Asrock > Gigabyte, unless the Gigabyte board has a specific feature you absolutely need
* Bigger SSD so you can keep more than 5 AAA games on it at a time
* Nicer case

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

melon cat posted:

I'm helping a buddy build a low-end rig for video-editing. Vitals:
  • What are you using the system for? Web, Office, video and photo editing (semi-professional level)
  • Budget? No more than $1000
  • Software to be used: MS Office, Adobe CC (After Effects, Premiere. A bit of Illustrator)
Checked online for some possible builds, and I'm considering the following parts:

Could I do any better without increasing the cost?

I'd prefer to avoid Apple machines. I dislike them for... reasons.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.25 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! SHADOW ROCK LP 51.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.45 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($107.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($72.00 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($197.25 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($95.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $955.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-12 13:20 EDT-0400
* current-gen CPU
* cooler other than cryorig h7/m9i since canada for some reason doesn't seem to have those
* you can switch the mainboard to the corresponding cheap B150 model from Asrock if money is an object
* updated the GPU since a 650 is only worth getting in 2016 if you get it for free. the 750 Ti is the current budget Nvidia card.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

melon cat posted:

No particular reason. To be honest, I was looking at the build mainly from a cost/value perspective.

Thanks for this revised list! I wasn't aware that the 750 Ti is the new value GPU. But am I wrong for considering DDR3 over DDR4, entirely for cost considerations? I was under the impression that DDR4 is better suited for higher-end builds (ie. not best for cheapskates... like my friend may or may not be), but of course I could be very wrong for thinking that.

If you really want to save money, go buy some refurb office computer (Lenovo M93P or Dell Optiplex 7020 or something) with an i5-4570 or i7-4790 and stick a 750 Ti + 16GB DDR3 RAM into it. It won't ever be great for gaming (insufficient power supply for any better graphics card upgrade) but it will do home video editing ok or, in case you get one with the i7, slightly better.

Also note how the DDR4 in my list is actually cheaper than the DDR3 in your list. DDR3 is on its way out (prices stable, probably going to increase as supply dries up) while DDR4 is getting cheaper.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 12, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

When thinking about which GPU to get to power my current 1200p monitor, how much should I be thinking about what sort of monitor I'll have in the next 3 years during the GPU's lifespan? VR seems like a real possibility and I might just say screw it and buy a 1440p monitor at the same time as the GPU meaning I'll need the GTX1080.

Considering the 1070 is more powerful than a Titan X, you're probably fine using it for 1440p stuff.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

So I'm getting this: link

I recently bought an i5 6600k because, well, gently caress it. Ya know? However I bought it literally yesterday so I could return it and just get a 6600.

I have a Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770 and an SSD. Reviewers and the fractal design website say it'll fit.

I'm worried about the PSU. I used a website to calculate necessary electricity requirements that recommended a 400W+ PSU so I should be fine Link to test results.

Should I be good to go? I won't be overclocking or anything.

Yes, though a regular 6600 will be sufficient if you don't overclock.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, went to bed and got up this morning and the LED, RESET, POWER and HD LED cables are not sticking in to the mobo, they just keep falling out if I move anything around near them.

Any advice guys?

Yeah that's normal. These little pins are consistently lovely in every way to the point where they only work without any tension whatsoever on the cable and your best bet is some small drops of hot glue (so you can remove them with a bit of effort later for upgrades).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

As someone new to all this I really don't want to be putting hot glue near anything that could be in the computer. I've been doing the best I can with the plastic ties and tying stuff together but everything just keeps falling out of their sockets.

Should I just use a bit more force?

They're supposed to sit flush with the motherboard.

There aren't supposed to be any sockets for the power switch/case LED plugs though, what sockets are you talking about?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Sorry, using the term "socket" wrong, its the little nubby things that have the LED connector things in them. I am having difficulty keeping them connected.

ok, that is the point where you just want to fix them. Try electrical tape to keep the wires in a better position and if that doesn't work, hot glue (as long as it only touches the board and not any capacitors etc mounted to it) is probably not going to do any damage.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Could you take a picture or something? Because you are having issues I have never heard of or experienced and I am pretty baffled about what could be going wrong and whether something is wrong with your hardware or you are doing something wrong.

probably some improper crimping or something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I really do not know. Got everything installed

It is now not turning on, got everything tuned in but nothing appears to be happening. If you need any more pictures please do ask.

Plug all the front panel stuff out, double check if the crimped ends inside the plugs have come out the back for some reason, plug in only the power switch plug (and keep it in with your hand), turn on the power and then the PC. If it turns on the problem is overly loose cables.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Also, just as a quick question but what parts should be moving when I turn the computer on?

All the fans, the hard drive should also spin up, the DVD drive might make a noise.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I only have an SSD and no DVD drive. But they do all spin when I turn it on, so there is that.

Pull all parts, connect one stick of RAM, connect the screen to the motherboard's graphics output. You should see the splash screen and an error message about a missing boot drive.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Checked and double checked. Now the lights won't come on on the front of the case.

Removed the stuff by stuff I mean the RAM, the graphics card and the SSD.

Put 1 RAM stick back in, and if it doesn't work, try another RAM slot and another RAM stick.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Also done. Still not turning on at the front either.

Ok, you mentioned the fans spinning up. I assume that's after you press the power button?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Not any more. It now is just quiet and it is doing nothing.

:psyduck:

double check whether you're connecting the correct connector to the on/off switch panel in the correct position (sometimes retarded poo poo like the reset switch/power switch being labelled the wrong way round on either the board or the case can happen), and short the pins for the power switch with a screwdriver to check if the power switch is somehow broken (this is what the switch would normally do)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Maugrim posted:

Hi guys, I'm in the UK and looking to buy the cheapest/best value graphics card that will give me decent performance (at 1680x1050) in the new Doom and The Witcher 3. I'm fine with low graphics settings as long as the framerate is ok. I'm aware that there's a new gen of graphics cards out soon so what I'm looking for is an interim card that will remove the huge bottleneck caused by my old GTX 460 and tide me over by letting me play those two games, without breaking the bank as I'm unemployed right now.

I generally go with NVidia cards but happy to go with AMD this time around if it makes sense. Any advice? Thanks!

e: hmm I just looked at the recommended specs for Doom and I may have to skip it until I can afford a high-end card...

What's your budget?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Killed By Death posted:

I'm trying to make a decent PC for my parents, while not spending a great deal. This is what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (£88.24 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£53.08 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.91 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£29.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£32.99 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.37 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £313.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-23 12:46 BST+0100

Does anything here stand out as massively foolish/wrong?

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£97.26 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£56.00 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£25.59 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£29.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£32.99 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.37 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £324.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-23 13:25 BST+0100

updated momputer with skylake parts

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Maugrim posted:

Yeah I see, thanks! It looks like most of the ebay lots are heading well over 150 as they approach the end of the auction though.

Would a 960 do in a pinch? It's (barely) above official min spec for Doom and the 2GB versions are going for well under 150 in some places.

The 960 is in a bad price/performance spot and will be even worse off when you can get a used/refurb 970.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Just add one of these if you want a hard drive. I wouldn't drop down to a smaller SSD to go with it though, if you were thinking of doing that - 120GB SSDs are a pretty poor value.

The 4460's specs indicate how much of your RAM the integrated GPU can use as graphics memory, it has no bearing on dedicated GPUs. Besides, that 4GB 740 is some kind of joke in GPU form. Trying to run games at the kinds of resolutions and graphics settings that require 4GB of VRAM on a 740 would probably give the poor thing a heart attack.

I assume it's for people doing workstation things who need a bit of extra vram, not for people playing games on it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Deviant posted:

Here we go with the addons. Guess I'll just grab a cooler master one off amazon.
Make sure you don't get a really cheap really loud one.

quote:

Edit: What is this tiny little L shaped bit with a screw hole on one end and a punched out hole on the other end for?
It would probably help to actually have the picture, but presumably it's for people who padlock their computers. In enterprise this is somehow a thing, and i guess there are nerds who do it for reasons.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I'm looking at getting an upgrade for my brothers computer, hopefully so it can play games a bit better. He plays at 1080p and he'd like to play The Witcher 3, but right now his PC doesn't cut it, and I'm wondering, say I had £100 to put somewhere, where would be the best place to put it -

edit: Also, god these 1070s look nice, but I'm betting I won't feel much of a jump over my 970? I game at 1440p

Well, basically any current GTX graphics would be a major upgrade, though unless you're spending more than a hundred quid probably not enough to play Witcher 3 at anything beyond low-medium settings. The CPU is also getting a bit old, but that would get a bit more expensive to replace.

A refurbished GTX 760 or 770 would be a good place to start I think.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

broken pixel posted:

Thanks! I'll definitely look in to a new PSU, and if I see an HDD at a good price, I'll consider it, too. My RAM is 2 4GB sticks, so I'll look at that, as well.

Make sure to get RAM with the same speed (MHz) and the same latency (CL) as your existing sticks.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Swedish Metal posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? ~$1500 with a monitor
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I would like to be maxed out 1080P and possibly 1440P if I can find a reasonable monitor (though 1080P is perfectly acceptable)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.45 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($120.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($91.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1159.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-30 19:24 EDT-0400

I'm open to suggestions/criticisms regarding this build, but I do have a few questions:

What would be a suitable monitor? I don't know where to begin with these, but I do know I would like at least 24" or larger. It'll more than likely be a single monitor setup.
The CPU cooler... any feedback would be great. How far can I push overclocking with this? Is it worth using or should I upgrade to a LCL for 4+GHz?

I'm waiting roughly 2 weeks before ordering anything to make sure this isn't an impulse buy. Plus, it's hard to come by 1070's at the moment...

Thanks for the help goons

Get a 1070 other than the founders edition.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

Any season most of the HDDs on Newegg are rated 4 Star? I am in the market for a 4 TB HDD to expand my storage but the lack of five stars makes me hesitant of pulling the trigger.

Newegg ratings are often worthless. In addition to the effect where only people whose drives arrived damaged bother to rate them, you have a bunch of randoms unhappy about the fact that HDDs make noise and only have 3.6TB of useable space when the box says 4TB.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

Alright then. Should I just spring for a WD Blue 4 TB despite the black having more RPM? WIll it impact me as much?

What is it for? If it's just a dump for movies/photos/porn then a Blue is more than enough.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

IMO you should go
1) SSD
2) HDD (get a 2TB second one as a backup, they're cheap)
3) PSU
3.5) CPU/Mobo/RAM together while you're at it (there is no point buying new DDR3, it's a dying standard, unless you get someone's old high performance DDR3 for free just skip straight to DDR4-3000)

Graphics depends on whether you want to play new games on ultra, but given 1080p you're probably ok for a while if you can dial down settings.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's the best thing to do with old computer components? I'm planning to upgrade from a system I built in 2012. I don't really have need for a HTPC (and the Bitfenix Prodigy case is kind of a lame size for that anyway), and I don't think I can really make a sale or hand-me-down with it since one of the reasons I'm upgrading is severe hardware failures (hard drive stops getting recognized, random hard-lock bluescreens with the last forcing me to reformat). I would just shove it in a closet but that closet already has an even older build from 2007 and a monitor that no longer works

Give it to the local electronics recycling center/business, or strip all the parts that still work and give them to someone for free.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Is it pretty common for a fresh install of Windows to not even have Ethernet capability? I'm currently using my girlfriend's laptop to copy the installation disc that came with my motherboard to a thumb drive in the hopes that the correct drivers are on there. This is kind of frustrating given how 'optional' disc drives are these days.

If it's an old Windows on new hardware, yes. If it's a new Windows, sometimes. Use your phone/laptop to download the driver to something with a USB connector.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

DrNutt posted:

The biggest problem I've found is finding the right driver. I should have stuck with MSI because Gigabyte's driver download support appears to be garbage.

Your motherboard spec sheet should state which ethernet controller you have. You can just download the appropriate driver from whoever makes the controller.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

FamDav posted:

Speaking, what would be required to game at 4K in the year 2016? Trying to decide if I want a 4K or 1440p monitor.

1080, possibly SLI 1080s in the future.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Popete posted:

Well my desktop seems to have crapped the bed overnight. Got up this morning and the thing won't boot and just power cycles. May be a short somewhere.

Anyways it's probably time for a new build. Only thing I'm undecided on is the GPU, any reason to get the 970 GTX over a RX-480? Seems like the 480 is superior and cheaper but I admit I haven't kept up with GPUs in years.

The 970 is obsolete and you're looking at 480 vs. 1060 now. Price/performance is same for the two, with the 1060 being slightly higher in both.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

-With PCIE, there isn't a whole lot in terms of that form factor, plus not enough people here have bought those drives to recommend.
, but the Samsung 950 Pro exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

crutt posted:

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for?  Gaming?
What's your budget? 500-700.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 27”,1080p, ultra

Current rig:

Asrock z77e-itx, i5-3570k, 8 ddr3 1600, HD7870, 250gb ssd, PC power silencer mk3 600w PSU, bitfenix prodigy mini-itx case

Is it worthwhile to just get a new graphics card or am I missing out with the newer Intel processors? I'd like to be able to play newer stuff at ultra smoothly.

Get a 1060 (or 1070 if you want to stay at ultra for the next couple of years and possibly upgrade to 1440p). The CPU shouldn't slow you down yet, especially if you overclock a bit.