Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, I'm an Aussie looking to upgrade my desktop since it's a fairly old prebuilt. I figured I'd jump straight over to building one so I had a bit of a look around.

I mostly use it to do gaming, but I do a bit of LP and being able to render video's quickly is nice. I'm not super picky about graphics, my current monitor only does 1080p and I don't care about 4K or VR. I don't mind if I have to turn down graphics, I just want 60 fps.

I'm not super keen on spending more than $1000 AUD, but I might be able to go up to like $1200 if I have to?

Current list is as:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($157.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX H270F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($194.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($99.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($138.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card
Case: Corsair - Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.69 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.00 @ Shopping Express)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel - 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($89.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $990.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-22 20:42 AEST+1000

I've got a monitor and keyboard+mouse lying around already, just was wondering if there was anything else I needed to take a look at before I committed.

E - I just realised the GPU is out of stock in Australia. Anyone know any good replacements?

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

A Bag of Milk posted:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.00 @ Shopping Express)
You could also look into getting the G4650 processor. Similar performance as the i3-6100 with newer architecture and chipset for just 70 bucks.

I'm not entirely eager on using AMD again, I've had some pretty bad experience with their stuff in the past. Also, hearing that Ryzen could be problematic with GCC is concerning as well since I've been spending a good deal of time learning programming.

Sorry to bug you, but do you have any alternate CPU/Motherboard suggestions? I also mess around with emulation a fair bit, so I'd like a decent CPU.