Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Someone in the previous thread was trying to decide on a case, and I'm not sure if they settled on one or not, but they had the Corsair Obsidian 350D listed as an option and I thought I'd say, for what it's worth, I love my 350D case. It's not worth it for the regular asking price of like $110, but if you can get it for around $60, it's a good buy. Very easy to work in, plenty of grommets and options for mounting a rad if you need one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

If all goes well I should be ordering the rest of the parts to put my shiny new 6600K into in 2-3 weeks and I am utterly terrified of installing the processor and cooler, even though I know exactly how to do it.

I touched a processor for the first time in over a decade 6 months ago and didn't gently caress it up, you'll be fine.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Edit: beaten, shouldn't leave the page open for 30 minutes before replying.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

keevo posted:

These first two show where there's supposed to be a screw

These next two show those holes and where the standoffs are.

The rest of it is fine but it's these three holes that have been giving me trouble all day.

edit: looking at it again there are holes there but no standoff so i guess i can just move them but i don't know how

You should be able to just unscrew those standoffs from their current spots and then screw them into the holes you need. At least it's that way in the 350D.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I sought this thread's advice late last year when building myself a middle-spec gaming tower and the system turned out great, now I'm looking at maybe building something to replace my grandmother's rapidly aging touchscreen HP Pavilion. The AMD A6-6400K APU in this thing is pegging out while running an antivirus scan.

What country are you in? USA

What are you using the system for? Email, Facebook, Big Fish Game stuff. Nothing even remotely intensive.

What's your budget? Pretty cheap. Let's say $500 for the entire show.

This system will/should be fine on integrated graphics, since none of the games she plays are even kind of graphically intensive, and even if it turns out she needs a GPU, I'll use it as an excuse to get a 1070 and put my 970 in this. It's going to need a monitor, since the current system is an AIO, but it doesn't need a touch screen as she doesn't ever use that.

I thought about going with the Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition, but I'm not sure if it would be wiser to go with a Skylake Pentium or Core i3.

E: also should probably be mATX or mITX, limited desk space.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm helping a guy I know online put his new computer together, and he seems to have run into some kind of hitch. He is doing the test to make sure the system posts, but what is happening is it powers on, fans spin for about 18-20 seconds, then the system shuts off and then powers back up on it's own for another 18-ish seconds before repeating. I've had him check his RAM, try powering on without RAM, I had him unplug and plug back in all the power cables, reseat the CPU, made sure the CPU fan header was plugged in, and even had him pull the CMOS battery to make sure nothing weird was going on there. I'm starting to think he has component failure, but I can't really check that since he's not even in country. Is there anything else I should have him check before I have him start doing RMAs?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

E: wrong thread

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

For some really weird reason the speakers on my computer are reverse. The sounds that are suppose to come from the left speaker come from the right and vice versa. Is there a way to reverse them?

What kinds of speakers are you using? Are they wired up properly?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes they are wired fine.

The sounds are fine for my PS4, but not for my PC.

Check your system sound settings, make sure the channels aren't swapped for some reason.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mystery at hog island posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? My goal was to keep it under $1000. I'm willing to go $200 above that if I have a really good reason.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I am aiming for 1080p at high settings for recent games. I'm upgrading from a 4 year old ThinkPad so I don't feel the need to go totally :krad:, but I may look to upgrade in 2-3 years.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900ALED Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($274.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.88 @ Newegg)
Total: $989.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 14:47 EDT-0400

This is my first desktop since 2005 and I was completely lost when it came to current motherboards... also a bit paranoid I've overlooked some sort of devious compatibility. I'm not planning to overclock right out of the gate, but I'd like to have the option once I get a better understanding of just what I'm dealing with. I appreciate any feedback you can give. I'm really excited to play Shadow of Mordor and some other games I missed over the years. Thanks goons :)

Changed things a bit:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($272.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1013.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-01 22:20 EDT-0400

1. I changed the cooler you chose, nothing against Zalman, I just don't know anything about them while I am familiar with the Cryorig H7. It'll cool around the same level as far more expensive units, but feel free to switch back to the Zalman if you trust that brand.
2. I changed you to a slightly more expensive ATX board (since you picked an ATX case, though the one you picked would fit inside the case you chose). This is the Pro4, not the Pro4S, so it's got a couple more features over the Pro4S. They don't make much of a difference though.
3. Changed the video card to the RX 480 8GB model. Now that the RX 480 is out, it's trades blows with the GTX 970, but at this point I'd look for the 970 to drop in price a bit more making it the better value, or for aftermarket cooler versions of the 480 to come out in the same price point which should make them the better value (as they'll likely perform better than the 970 at that point). The real value option here would be to pick up a used 970 on SA Mart or eBay.
4. Changed your PSU to an EVGA G2. The Corsair CX power supplies are largely recommended against as they apparently have a high failure rate.

It's a little bit more than the $1000 you set, but still well under the $1200 you said you could go up to. I'm sure someone else could probably make better recommendations, but I think this will pretty well have you covered.

Also, I excluded Superbiiz and OutletPC as they, according to AVeryLargeRadish, may not be entirely legitimate.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zero The Hero posted:

I've heard bad things about Seagate, and more bad things about Western Digital. My personal experience with both has been solid. What are my options here?

I've got a 500GB Seagate that's been working perfectly since 2007, but I've also had a couple 2TB Seagate drives up and poo poo the bed over night before within the last few years. 8TB for $220 is pretty nice, but that kinda tells me these might not be the best drives they're using, maybe? I'd just get a large capacity HGST and stick it in an external enclosure if you need an external drive.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

My brother has asked me to build a computer for him with a budget of $800, not including peripherals that he's going to get separately. He doesn't have a lot of space to put the system, so I figured mITX would be the way to go. Can anyone tell me if I'm making horrible mistakes here, since it's one thing for me to waste my own money on dumb choices, but I'd rather not do that with someone elses? I'm aware the PSU is way more than the system needs, but I wanted 80 Plus Gold and 10 year warranty for his system.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($40.88 @ NCIX US)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB XXX OC Video Card ($253.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $790.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-04 22:23 EDT-0400

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Baldrash posted:

Phone posting so I can't provide links, but you don't need to buy a CPU cooler since the 6100 comes with one. I'd take that money and buy a better SSD like the Samsung 850 EVO or Sandisk x400. Otherwise everything seems to be in order. What's he planning on using it for?

He's going to use it for gaming. He's an Xboner right now and wanting to get into PC gaming after seeing how much better my system is than his console. He also just needs a new computer since his laptop is like 10 years old at this point. I know the non-K CPUs come with coolers, I'm just not very partial to their aesthetics and I was under the impression that the C7 got better thermals than the stock heat sink?

quote:

E: Also, it just dawned on me that the Define Nano S isn't the smallest mini-ITX case. How much space are we talking here? If things are really super-cramped, you could look at the Fractal Design Node 202. It would require picking out a SFX PSU and a different hard drive since the Node doesn't have a space for a 3.5" drive, but it's one of the smaller readily available cases. Since I'm back in front of my computer, maybe a build like this:

Not super cramped, but he's got a petty tiny desk and the computer will have to go under the desk. I hadn't considered the Node 202, so I'll look into that.

quote:

There's definitely nothing wrong with your original build if the shorter warranty is a deal-breaker, just something to consider.

It's not a deal breaker, I mostly just don't want him getting stuck with something that has a three year warranty or less. Thanks for the suggestions.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this or if I need to find another thread. About a month or two ago I built this system for my brother, but the CPU seems to be running warmer than I think it should.

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $64.99)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $26.99)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $118.50)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $99.99)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 470 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $169.99)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $99.99)
Total: $580.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-08 10:46 EDT-0400

Using Speccy to check the CPU temp, it's idling in the low to mid 30°C range, which seems higher than I feel like it should with an ambient temp of around 24°C, for reference my i5-6500 with a Cryorig H7 idles around 23°C. I have tried reinstalling the heatsink along with reapplying thermal paste but it didn't seem to fix anything. Is this a naturally hot CPU/is the C7 just a bad cooler? Let me know if I need to post this question elsewhere. Thanks.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 8, 2017

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

orcane posted:

What do the load temperatures look like? Because idle below 35°C is pretty meaningless (and you're comparing a full size tower cooler to a small form factor cooler in a tower case) and also depends on other stuff like where the computer is set up, what else you have in it generating heat, what other fans you have in that case etc.

Default fan configuration (one front 140mm intake, one rear 120mm exhaust), blower style GPU, PSU set to draw air from below the case. Load temps seem to be around 60°C in things like Unigine Heaven and the new Hitman game iirc. I'm not with the computer so I can't check right now, but I think I'm remembering it hitting those temps. System is set up in a bedroom with ambient temps that are "cold" according to my brother, I've also not been able to verify this myself, I've only messed with it when I built it in a dining room with ambient temp around 24°C. This is only the second full PC build I've done, after my own, so I'm just not sure if these temps should be considered acceptable.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Alright, thanks guys. I'll get with him to do some system stress tests and see what happens. Again, I'm pretty sure I remember it being fine when I did some quick tests after setting it up.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Old old post but same question. (I got into some financial hardship and had to give up the dream)

Looking for a video card.

If I can get it on amazon, through my credit card i have built up $250 worth of amazon points (Budget)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VKrXHN

Previous suggestion (just wanting to confirm that would still be best for me):

Response to previous by another user.

So should I look for a 6gb 1060 or a rx480 8gb? If so which brand? Thank you all very much.

Assuming you're in the US, MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready (GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G) is $10 more than you have in Amazon points, and iirc Digital Foundry consistently shows the 1060 6GB outperforming the 480 8GB.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'd recommend the Cryorig H7 over the C7 if the case can fit it. It's a tower cooler that does a better job than the C7. It's only marginally more expensive, if at all. Though if you're using an i5-7500, then you can get away with an H270 board if there is a feature comparable model that is cheaper and the stock cooler that comes with the CPU if you don't care about aesthetics.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 10, 2017

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

^^^^^^^^
Oh thank god.

Original post:
I ordered a 1440p 144hz monitor, but after seeing how my 970 performed in the FFXIV Stormblood benchmark at that resolution I decided to just upgrade to a 1080 Ti, since that'll last me several years. But reading the last several posts has it looking like I'll have to upgrade my i5-6500 to an i7 too if I want decent frame rates? Or am I just getting confused about what you guys are talking about? This poo poo is getting expensive.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jago posted:

You do not. Also, just because you have a 144hz monitor doesn't mean you need to run at 144hz. The whole point of *sync is that you dont' have to, and a 144hz monitor is probably going to have a nicer, less blurry image during any kind of movement. I'm happy with my 1440p monitor and gtx 1060. Of course I want more, but at 110fps GSYNC i've never seen things as smooth.

Khablam posted:

Stormblood scales with GPU afaik and I haven't seen a 1080 Ti bench on it, but 1080s benchmark at ~90fps at 1440p
With G-sync on that's going to seem perfect.

Yeah my 970 was hitting around 45fps, which is still in gsync territory, it's just below the golden 60fps which is why I went ahead and upgraded the GPU also. 90fps+ will be perfect for me. Thanks again guys, I was getting really worried I'd have to drop another $300 on an i7.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm guessing you got a GSync monitor? If so, it's vastly less important. On my XB271HU I didn't give a poo poo about capping out the monitor because it's was alway smooth.

If not, you may well see a noticeable performance boost >60Hz with an i7. But don't feel obliged to upgrade, only do so when the performance is not enough for you personally.

When I was talking about i7's I was talking about bleeding edge frame rates, you certainly don't need an i7 to reach "decent" levels.

Yes, I bought a Dell S2716DG. I'm not concerned about capping out the monitor, moreso getting anywhere between 60 and 144 fps.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Do you have a CPU cooler? You'll need once since the 7600K doesn't come with one.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Gaj posted:

Ahh Im going to need one, any suggestions? When I search for 1151 compatible fans I get a limited selection, will 1150 socket fans work? Any suggestions, Im looking for the best.

Do you want an open-air cooler or an AIO liquid cooler? I use the Cryorig H7 open-air cooler on my system. If you want liquid then someone else will need to answer your question because I honestly don't know what to recommend there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I recently upgraded my GPU to a 1080 Ti to go with a new 144hz G-Sync monitor. I built a Skylake PC back in December 2015 and I looks like my i5-6500 is bottlenecking in games like Final Fantasy XIV. Should I just look at getting a locked 6700/7700, wait for 8th Gen and move my system over, or not be ridiculous about this and just stick with my i5-6500?

XIV is really the only thing I notice this in, and even then it's mostly in just highly congested areas during high activity times. Wouldn't even be considering this if not for the fact that I play XIV exponentially more than anything else.