Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Quick couple of questions for the thread:

1 - Anyone have a good recommendation for an external SSD? I want to get something to back up my files, and I want one that's not too expensive but also won't crap out on me after a year or two.

2 - A while back, my cousin upgraded his graphics card, and he gave me his old GTX460. I know that's not exactly good when compared to some of the latest stuff, but I don't really use my computer for most gaming anyways. The most labor-intensive game I have on Steam is Skyrim. What I want to know is if the 460 is good enough to run stuff like that at at least semi-decent levels of performance. (IE - Like 30fps or so, without any of the high-res graphic mods installed) I would install it to find out, but I don't have a good enough power source for it yet. Has anyone else used one of those before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No idea on external SSDs, I use a combo of external HDDs and usb flash drives.

Skyrim is pretty old so a 460 should handle it, especially if it's a 1GB version or the 460v2.
Well, what HDD do you use? I assume the difference between an HDD and an SSD is pretty negligible when it's just an external drive for backup purposes.
Thanks for info on the 460. I've no idea which version it is, all I know is that the serial number says "ENGTX460" on it. I didn't get the box it went with, just a ziplock bag to keep the dust off.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Allow me to preface this by saying that I really have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

System usage: General PC. I want something that'll last me a while, and that I can play games on. Most of my games on Steam are either pretty old, or don't need too much, graphics-wise. Skyrim's probably the most CPU/GPU heavy.
Budget: Probably around, oh, 800 or so? My uncle said he'd help me pay for a computer as a late graduation present, but I don't know exactly how much he's willing to pay for.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.69 @ Newegg) - OP mentioned having an SSD is kind of important for stuff like the OS?
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 460 768MB Video Card ($0.00) - Got this for free, and I don't think I'll really need anything better.
Case: I couldn't find one that PC Part Picker didn't have issues with. Even using their built in compatibility filter, it still gave me cases that either wouldn't fit my parts, or it didn't know if it would fit my parts. Stupid Algorithm. Mainly, I just want one that's black, has USB ports on the front, and isn't one of those super over-the-top "gamer" PC cases.
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
External Storage: Seagate Backup Plus 2TB External Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $861.88

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

1) I got rid of the CPU cooler since the included one should be plenty for an i5-6500.
2) I changed the motherboard for a cheaper one since you can't overclock with your CPU choice.
3) Changed out the RAM for something cheaper and better.
4) I added a very good case with front panel USB and a fairly subdued aesthetic, it will also be easy to build in and pretty quiet.
5) I changed out the PSU, the Corsair CX PSUs have reliability issues, this one is much, much better.
6) I changed out the monitor for a better one.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Especially the PSU one, I had no idea Corsair ones were crap.
I wasn't sure if most cases came with a cooling fan or not, so I added one just in case. :v: I'm probably just going to find a semi-decent small monitor at Best Buy or whatever, because the current way my couch/table is setup only allows a small monitor without re-arranging the furniture. If I ever need a bigger screen, I'll just use my TV screen for the display.