Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Could anyone help me with RAM? I have an HP Pavillion P7 1380t that currently has 3 GB of DDR3 10600U Ram, 1333mHz i believe. (i know its all i could scrounge up). i just ordered 2 4GB Sticks of 16000mHz ram and it doesnt seem to work (No error codes or beeps, but getting no video) i looked it up and it seems like this computer should work with this new RAM. Is there some setting i have to change in the BIOS to account for this new RAM? Did i mess up and buy the wrong kind? Thanks for any and all help as 3 GB of Ram is not nearly enough for WIndows 7 Pro, much less playing any games on it. Oh and if its relevant the onboard video doesnt seem to work so there is an old crappy GPU in there instead (a Biostar GeForce Gs8400 with 256Mb of DDr2 Ram)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Ive got an hp Pavilion p7-1380t CTO with a 3.2 Ghz Core i5-3470, 3 GB of 10600U RAM and a (terrible i know) Bioforce 8400GS (256 MB DDr2 VRAM). Im looking to upgrade the RAM and video card. Any suggestions? Ive been having trouble finding RAM that works, and although i know a bit about computers im not at all familiar with good video cards. Pretty much im looking for a decent video card thats able to play insurgency, Deus Ex HR, etc. at decent settings at around 30-60 fps, and MAYBE do some emulation of Wii games (though really only the fire emblem games) while not being too expensive and hopefully not having to upgrade my power supply (though if i have to its not a huge deal). It would be nice to be able to play some newer games as well but not a neccesity, as im trying to keep it under $100 and if at all possible under (or as close as possible to) $50. Any and all help would be appreciated!
P.S. I realize the onboard graphics would probably be better than the steaming pile of dog crap i have in there now but the onboard graphics seem to be dead.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 30, 2016

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

nVidia 1050: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487295
Radeon RX460 4GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125897

The 1050 will be slightly faster, but the 4GB of frame buffer might be more useful over time.

Thanks for the help but do you know of anything out there thats a bit cheaper? i really can't spend over $100

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Posted a little while ago. just wondering Are there any GPUs worth it for under or around $50? I would be PcIe and preferably not draw any extra power or require extra cooling.
Edit. Just looking for some moderate gaming, nothing too crazy just a card that would run Insurgency well is what im aiming for. everything else is a bonus in my eyes, as I've got an 8400GS right now, its been around drat near as long as I have(not really but it's ancient), and anything else would be messianic in comparison

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 10, 2016

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Delusibeta posted:

No. The lowest recommended card is currently the GTX 1050Ti, which is $150.

There's really nothing worth getting that's less than 3x my budget?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Eletriarnation posted:

The 1050 is really not that much worse and you can find them for $100-110, but the "lowest recommended" thing is talking about new builds where someone is spending several hundred dollars on a recent platform and integrated is not completely awful. If you're using an 8400GS and have $50 to spend then that doesn't really apply.

Look for something like a used 7850 (2GB ideally) or 660Ti, I would say. You should be able to do at least 1080p/medium detail in a lot of games with that, I just came from a 7850 a few months back and it wasn't awful.

e: Oops, just saw the request to not draw any extra power. A used 7750 or something like this in that case. I don't know what you would do for Nvidia, maybe a used 750?

Thanks a ton. This seems perfect (as i might dabble in some Wii emulation ive heard NVIDA's are weaker in that aspect. But im a novice when it comes to GPu's) Would i have any trouble using it with my computer? its a rehabilitated (was dead in the shop waiting to be recylced, realized onboard video was dead and its worked fine since) HP Pavilion p7-1380t CTO with a 3.2 Ghz Core i5-3470 (ivy bridge architecture i believe if that makes a difference) But again thanks a lot this is much closer to what i was looking for.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Also unrelated note: I have an old second gen core i7 (forget the designation but its 2.8gHz, maybe 4870?) that i *ahem* liberated from a Dell XPS thats Mobo was dying. Is there any way i could find a use for that, other than cool paperweight? I made careful not to mess with the pins and ive still got the fan and heatsink for it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Eletriarnation posted:

You should be fine. I looked up the spec sheet for that one and the stock PSU is 300W, which is fine with a card that only draws the 75W a PCIe slot can provide or less. With a more capable PSU you should be able to use any card that will fit.

For your other question, a 2nd gen Sandy Bridge processor would start with a 2 and there is no 4870 - there are 4770s and 4890s but those are 4th gen Haswell processors and would require a different motherboard from your Ivy Bridge. You could sell one of them for enough to buy some serious upgrades for your current system though.

i just checked, its a i7-860 2.80 gHz from 2008 (so second gen right?) And again is it worth doing anything with and if not, worth selling online?