Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hey thread, I need a new bang-for-the-buck CAD / Dev workstation. I'm wondering how close the gaming builds listed in the OP will get me and whether there's any differences these days between a gaming build and my needs. My reasoning is thus - Fusion 360 is my heaviest CAD load and like Inventor it uses DirectX, not OpenGL like some other packages, so something like a 1070/1080 should be better than something like a Quadro? CPU wise Fusion is still not optimised for multithreading so clock speed matters more than cores. However in developer land I tend to use virtual development servers in VirtualBox but typically not more than 2 running concurrently. I have no brand loyalties with regards to AMD/Intel/nvidia/etc, If there is an OEM machine that fits the bill or will with upgrade then I'm also interested - the HP2Z is an option, potentially.

What country are you in? UK

What are you using the system for? Mostly CAD, coding (inc. virtualisation), microelectronics and research

What's your budget? £1000 (~1500USD), I don't need a kb/mouse/screen/optical drive, I don't need more than 256GB for the working SSD, I'd rather have speed over bulk storage and just keep up on my housekeeping, I have NAS and butt.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Mostly Fusion 360, EasyEDA and similar, IDEs like Arduino, Eclipse, virtualBox, a billion chrome tabs and pdf spec sheets.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Not gaming but still displaying 3D stuff I guess, I have a 2560x1440 DisplayPort / HDMI monitor (Dell U2515H)

Thanks for your time.

EDIT to say, this is a work machine, so I'm happy to pay a little more for quality parts and warranty.
EDIT 2: I put this together as a starting point
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($158.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($75.07 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $921.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-21 09:41 EST-0500

I went with microATX because I simply don't need a big tower, but I don't know if that case is going to work with that cooler. I don't know if I can do better for my money CPU wise?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Arrath posted:

poo poo man I've got two laptops for work and I'm about to have a third.

And I caught a raft of poo poo going across a border once with two phones (one work, one personal) and a laptop. Like I was smuggling electronics or some poo poo. Now, pushing to discrimination seems a bridge too far, but it was a pain in my rear end that day, for sure.

It wasn't a security guy asking, just some guy, apparently in a patronising tone.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

LRADIKAL posted:

Put in a 1700x because it's a killer deal for that many cores, an apu is a waste of money is you have a graphics card. The 212 is old and busted, 1070ti for the same price? Yes, please. A 256gb SSD is borderline irresponsible nowadays. Nothing wrong with the functionality of the case you picked, but it is a clunker. There's a more trusted brand of PSU. You should consider looking up the Pinnacle ridge qvl sheet for memory for your motherboard to help pick RAM.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I can't get anything close to that 1700x deal here in the UK. I had a nose around the ITX thread after posting and ended up spec'ing a similar ITX build. I also found an application specific Fusion 360 / 2400G review that reckons the APU is actually fairly acceptable for the kind of stuff I'm doing. I'm skeptical but I figure I'll try an APU build and if it isn't enough then I'll just order a 1070Ti like you linked, maybe a better CPU at the same time. The spec below is already way ahead of what I'm currently suffering (MBP13 2015, i5 iris 6100, 8GB). I'm still sticking with the 256GB, I'll add a second drive if I need it. I've still got 25GB free out of 120 on this MBP - I just don't deal with any bulky files.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£129.59 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£104.39 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£123.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£57.97 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Silverstone - Sugo SG13B Mini ITX Tower Case (£39.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Silverstone - 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£90.40 @ Alza)
Total: £545.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-22 10:34 GMT+0000

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Putting together a B450 / 3400G Mini-ITX and I suspect I'll need to use a 200GE or something to update. Where is the form for the loaner boot kit?

Alternatively is there any UK goons with a spare cheapo AM4 APU I can borrow/buy?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

Which mobo? The Asus b450-i is advertised as Ryzen 3000 ready but only if it's been manufactured the past couple months.

ASRock B450 Gaming ITX. They have apparently updated them but who knows if I'll get new or old stock.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ReelBigLizard posted:

ASRock B450 Gaming ITX. They have apparently updated them but who knows if I'll get new or old stock.

Board just arrived. It has a new sticker on the box saying Ryzen 3000 Ready so presumably it has At least the minimum firmware installed. Here's hoping.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

iamjohnsalt posted:

Hello computer friends I was looking at this setup
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.40 @ OutletPC)

I'm in an almost identical situation and building something almost identical with the 3400G for coding, CAD and maybe some games later, although I'm going for Mini ITX because I need to move between offices every now and then. I'm also planning to upgrade CPU and move to a GPU later then probably putting the redundant 3400G into a passive HTPC in the new year.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mozi posted:

That feeling when all the new PC parts you ordered arrive early... except the case, which is delayed a week.

My new build shipped from amazon warehouse in three similarly sized, similarly weighted, similarly valued parcels. Two went by Royal Mail, I had them Saturday morning. The third, which contains the CPU, went by Hermes and is still "Out for delivery" with some guy called Paul.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm new to AiO coolers, what's the deal with pump speed? I get that they are not designed to ramp up / down but experimenting with my new 3400G setup running the pump at 60% doesn't seem to make any difference at all to the thermals and makes it appreciably quieter. I've seen some people say that it needs to be run at 100% all the time and some people say that it's fine to run it lower as long as it's not ramping/up down.

I appreciate that pumps are optimised to avoid cavitation at the rated speed but running a liquid pump slower, at least in real world (not PC-cooling) wisdom, tends to extend pump life, not shorten it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dr. Despair posted:

If you're trying to make good budget choices you should make the jump to AMD with a 3600 probably.

The AMDs come with a cooler and the equivalent motherboard is cheaper too so you could actually go 3700X for the same price.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My B450 Asrock board came with Ryzen 3000 bios updates out of the box so depending on how old the stock is a B450 may well support a Ryzen 3 now it's just not guaranteed.

EDIT: and it supported 3200 RAM by setting an XMP profile in the BIOS

jeff8472 posted:

I may be wrong, but it feels like if the liquid is moving slower through the rad it would have more time to be cooled by the fans. I haven't done any research or testing, but it makes sense to me. Maybe it makes a difference on extended loads?

Yeah I think flow rate is kind of moot unless it's so slow that it's got time to boil in the block. I just saw a bunch of "ONLY RUN IT AT 100% OR YOUR PUMP WILL DIE" "advice" in threads on google but it seems to just be people parroting people who misunderstood the advice around not having the pump be ramping up and down like a fan.

I'm impressed with the Corsair H55 / Ryzen 3400G combo though. It's idling around 25-35C depending on room temp. Once the loop is heat soaked in an all-cores stress test it levelled out and reached homeostasis at about 50C and still boosting to 4GHz. It's a really excellent little set up for coding and light enginerding CAD.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I know it's counterintuitive but Windows 98 is now succeeded by Windows 10.