Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Note: I've restricted myself to parts from Amazon and Newegg, because I hate dealing with other vendors, and am willing to pay a little more for it.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($247.23 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($53.73 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.73 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($78.46 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($66.63 @ Amazon)
Total: $585.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-23 13:46 EDT-0400

With the deadline on free upgrading to Win10 coming up, I'm looking at replacing the guts of my machine now, and swapping out the video card for a GTX 1070 in a little while, when they become easier to get a hold of. Is this a reasonable setup? I want to be able to overclock, but I also want to put a giant stack of HDDs into the box, so the 6 SATA ports on the MSI board are barely adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I recently rebuilt my machine (i5-6600K, 32gb ram) but I held off on replacing my video card because the 10XX series was about to come out. My old gtx760 is dying, though - I had to underclock it heavily to keep it from keeling over under load.

How much longer before 1070s come down to MSRP or under? Or is that a pipe dream?