Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan (additional front intake)

Been working a lot of forced overtime lately so I decided to treat myself to a complete new PC instead of just doing some upgrades. This is what I came up with. I wasn't too worried about saving a few bucks here or there by using different vendors so I ordered everything from Amazon using my Prime. This is my first time working with mITX but I have it all together now and overclocked the i5 to 4.2GHZ @ 1.2v and I am very happy with it.

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for doing what you do and dishing out solid advice on parts. My crippling OCD would otherwise prevent me from making choices on my own. Maybe soon I'll have enough free time to actually play some games.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Avalanche posted:

Hey goons. Built my first ever PC all by myself! (Well, maybe not first ever since I've pretty much replaced/installed every single component possible in other lovely dell boxes over the years but still). I have some concerns on cooling, airflow, and cable management with this build.

Here is the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($206.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($429.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian-Li PC-O6SX HTPC Case ($297.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.02 @ Amazon)
Total: $1664.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-01 04:43 EDT-0400

*Also there is a rear case fan not included above.

Overall, the build was pretty simple and only took me ~2-3 hours to complete. Everyone I spoke with told me that it was loving retarded to do this as a first build and that it would be way too complicated, but it really wasn't that bad.

Here is a pic of the build:

]

Cooling setup:
a)3 exhaust fans on the top of the case that came with the case (not shown in pic)
b) 1 intake fan on the back of the case that blows onto the underside of the mobo where the cpu is.
c) Noctua cpu fan is blowing into the radiator
d) 3 GPU exhaust fans
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions/Concerns:

Running some burn in tests I've been getting some pretty high cpu temp numbers. When running Prime95, the cpu was hitting 92-94C easily. With Folding At Home, the cpu was hitting the upper 70s to low 80s. I did a dumb thing and ran Prime95 + FoldingAtHome + 3 Nvidia GPU tech demos + 2 4k youtube videos all at the same time and got the CPU temp up to 99-100C and kept it there for ~30min. The mouse cursor was stuttering, the sound was stuttering, but the system surprisingly did not crash or catch on fire.

Ambient temps seem good with the cpu running at 25-28C. When not under load with ~7 chrome tabs open, cpu temps are in the 28-33C area. CPU temps with Doom on ultra using the vulcan API stayed in the 40s-50s. CPU temps with BF4 on ultra were mostly in the 40s-50s with weird spikes to the mid 60s on 1 or 2 cores that last 2-3 sec before going back to 40-50.

Is this good? (other than being a complete dumbass and running prime+folding at the same time)

Also, how is my cable management? It's not the best, but I'm not sure if rerouting all the crap on the bottom left under the chasis at this point is going to substantially make a difference in temps. And yes I realize a fan cable touching the cpu fan that spans across the mobo looks really jenki.

Is there really anything I can do at this point to improve temperatures? When I was applying thermal paste to the cpu, I followed my friend's advice and applied a very thin layer across the entire cpu. When mounting the radiator, I placed it on the cpu and had to briefly pull it off and put it back on because I did not have the radiator perfectly aligned with the mobo mounting bracket. Could this have potentially caused some air pockets to form in the thermal paste?

Any opinions on the 3 upper case fans? Should I keep them as exhaust fans or make them intake fans?

There is a tempered glass case panel that came with this thing (not shown). If I put it on, temps tend to increase by ~10-12C across the board probably due to the cpu fan having little air to intake, and the gpu exhaust fans basically shooting air directly at the glass panel which then reflects back onto the gpu. I'm thinking about getting a custom piece of plexiglass made with cutouts for the cpu fan and gpu fans so I never run into this problem but then again, a better cooling configuration may be a better option.

With RL performance in games, applications, etc. the system has been awesome and I'm really happy with it. Just want to make sure there's nothing else I can do to substantially decrease temps aside from water cooling and replacing the stock top 3 case fans with something aftermarket.

Thanks all

Don't worry about temps using Prime95. Actually, don't use it at all. Use something like IntelBurnTest or Handbrake. The newest versions of Prime95 use fancy new instruction sets that basically force the last few generations of Intel CPU to rev up voltage too high. I might be wrong on the reason why, but that is basically the gist of it.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Bluemillion posted:

I'm planning a mid-low range build around a Core i5 6600 and a GTX 1060. I have no intention of overclocking, and plan to use entirely stock cooling. I'm still uncertain what RAM and motherboard to go with. I know I want 16GBs of memory, but I'm not sure if I should worry about the higher RAM clockspeeds, or if that's more of a high end/overclocking thing. Once I'm certain about the RAM I can start looking for a motherboard.

If you're not getting an overclocking CPU/motherboard then you can't use the faster RAM anyways. Just get whatever DDR4 2133mhz kit suits your budget best.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Bluemillion posted:

Uh, wait, the 6600k is actually less than the 6600. That's wierd. I really didn't want to spend the extra cash on an aftermarket cooler. I've never really tried overclocking before, I didn't want to risk damaging expensive hardware to squeeze out a few extra FPS. I could stretch a bit more, but then I'd be tempted to stretch a bit more somewhere else in the build, and end up spending two grand before it's all over. I think I'll just go with 2133 RAM. Maybe I could go for a cheaper processor?

You could drop down to an i3 to save some money, but the i5-6600 or i5-6500 is defiantly the sweet spot and worth buying. Your i5-6600/DDR4-2133/GTX1060 combo will serve you well for a few years. Sure, you could potentially stretch that out further by a year or so by getting overclocking stuff, but if you're not "in to it" then don't bother. It's an enthusiast thing, and you won't miss it unless you enjoy it. I don't get why some people have to always try to convince others to overclock.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

track day bro! posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for a mini itx tower, i've specced up a PC for my dad

450W Seasonic G Series, 80PLUS Gold, 1x120mm, ATX, PSU
be quiet! Pure Rock Compact Single Tower CPU Cooler, 4 Heatpipes, 1x120mm Silence-Optimised PWM Fan, 130W TDP, Intel/AMD
Intel Core i5 6500, S 1151, Skylake, Quad Core, 3.2GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo, 6MB Cache, 1050MHz GPU, 32x Ratio, 65W, CPU
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Red, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0, 1.35V
ASRock H170M-ITX/AC, Intel H170, S 1151, DDR4, SATA3 6Gbps, mSATA, Dual GbE, WiFi 802.11ac + BT4.0, USB 3.0, Mini ITX
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE2 OC 6GB GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card, 1280 Core, 1556MHz GPU, 1771MHz Boost

I went through some cases with him but he doesn't like the cube look, so it looks like a choice of a fractal define nano s or a phanteks enthoo evolv itx. Anyone used either of these cases?

I have the Define Nano S. I like it, feels fairly "premium". As far as it being a good mITX case... it is kind of big and sort of defeats the purpose of using mITX.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

goodness posted:

Finally got an SSD after never having one, and got a new HDD as well since mine was 5yo.

What would be the best way for me to go about getting windows 10 on the SSD and the rest of my storage stuff on the new HD? I've never moved data before, typically I just don't care enough and start over.

I originally upgraded from Windows 7>10 to get his current one running. Seems like the best thing is to install windows 7 on the new SSD and then free upgrade to Windows 10?

e: Or just clone the OS to the SSD

Why not just download Windows 10 from Microsoft's site and install off a USB stick? It should just automatically activate with your digital entitlement without you needing to do anything.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

goodness posted:

I don't have Windows 10 or Windows 7 through Microsofts online store so how would it know my activation?

If all you are doing is changing hard drives it will just automatically reactivate itself in the background once it boots up after install. Your digital entitlement (key) is tied to your motherboard and CPU using a mysterious system that Microsoft is kind of hush about.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

SnakesRevenge posted:

So I'm wanting to build a budget gaming PC for my son for Christmas. He doesn't need anything super demanding, but he does like to record/edit videos, so I'd like to be sure he can play/record at 1080 with some shinies turned down if possible. The video editing is why I bumped it to 16GB, feel free to tell me if that's overkill.

Really this is just a quick list - I was hoping to spend $500-$600 bucks, so what I really want to know is where I can trim some fat, and where I can maybe get a little more bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock A88M-G/3.1 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($76.80 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 250X 1GB Video Card ($100.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: DIYPC Zondda-O ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.89 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $679.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 15:26 EDT-0400

Seems like a lot of money to spend on a build that is based on a laptop CPU/APU repackaged for desktops.

What kind of games is he going to be running?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

$250 ish, not that important.

I'll second the Asus VG248QE recommendation. It is a good monitor that is below $250 and has 144hz. It's 1080p with a 1ms response time and has DisplayPort. I picked one up at best buy about 2 weeks ago for about $220.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Someone please help me. This monitor looks amazing and is $30 cheaper than another monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236722

However, the other monitor is one a good recommended, this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2HH7G0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479760326&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=asus+monitor+144hz

Is there any reason I should get this over the one I posted first?

MG248 is I think adaptive sync which is AMD/Intel only. The VG248QE doesn't have any of that, but when you have 144hz I really don't see much need for any kind of Gsync/free sync/Vsync. Just turn up the pretties to keep your FPS below 144 and leave VSync off.

I personally have the VG248QE and love it for gaming.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

So the 248 would be worth it both because it has more features and is cheaper?

Yeah. I would probably buy the MG248Q, it is basically just a refreshed/newer version of the VG248QE that has FreeSync. The lower pricing is just luck as it's MSRP is higher, but there seems to be good sales on it currently making it cheaper.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Hulk smash the RAM into the slots harder. Also maybe you can try resetting the bios via the jumper pins.

Dummy option that I personally had an issue with: Is your monitor(s) set to the correct input. Also try only one monitor.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

BirdOfPlay posted:

The USB plug on my 360 controller got busted in travel recently and I'm not seeing wired, OEM controllers (new or used) in the game shops. What's the current recommendation for gamepads? My Target has Logitech F310's, and they're reasonably priced. Main thing I care about is that it's plug and play like a 360 controller and works natively with Unity/UnityEditor.

As a side note, I'd like it if the bottom-right region would also register correctly. I've had two 360 controllers, and neither of them registered the max for that area. Made the "hacking" puzzles in Dead Space 2 impossible until I learned that I could freely switch to my mouse.

Xbox One controller.

Newest versions have Bluetooth for wireless on PC. You can also just flat out use it wired with any micro USB cord of your choice. Will just work with any game that supports a controller with zero fuss.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 15, 2017

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

If I got this system, I would reuse my MSI 1070. Is the 1070 still okay for 1440p gaming?

My 1070 always keeps me decently above 60 FPS on my 1440p144 monitor. Usually in the 70-90 FPS range on newer demanding games like BF1 with all the pretties turned to max.

If you really need to push that 144hz you'll maybe want to consider upgrading, but for me it's a non issue as I have G-SYNC.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Gaj posted:

Hey guys, I just bought the luxury gamer set up here, i5k intel, 16 gigs ram, geforce 1080...

The problem is with my drives. I have a PNY SSD as my OS drive with 120 gigs, I then have a Samsung 850 evo at 500gigs as my gaming drive. Windows 10 will not recognize the 850 Evo, and im really confused as Samsung Magician does.

Maybe go in to Disk Management and make sure the drive is formatted with a file system and not just unallocated space.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

lord_daeloth posted:

Ok, so I have to replace a GPU that crapped out and the budget recommendation is for a GTX 950, running about $150-ish (and apparently sold out most places too). While looking around at crap, I found this GTX 1050 on Amazon for $110. Even the FTW edition is cheaper than the 950. It's been a while since I've built a rig, so I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a terrible card, cuz saving $40 and getting a newer card (I think? gently caress these naming systems) seems too good to be true. Thoughts?

The 1050 is the better/newer replacement for the 950. An even better choice is a 1050ti and should still keep you in the $130-$150 price range. The ti version has double the memory and maybe a tad more speed.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 16, 2017

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a little out of most people's builds price range, but Micro Center currently has an insane price (~$80-100 less than the lowest recorded price) on the 1TB 960 EVO (currently web sales as well as B&M): http://www.microcenter.com/product/471493/960_EVO_Series_1TB_NVMe_M2_Internal_SSD

Honestly I want some of you goons to buy them out so I'm not tempted to spend $339 plus tax and just sit on it until my next build.

If I didn't have to take my motherboard out to get to the M.2 slot on the back of the board I'd be all over that. Best price I've seen.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Was doing some price research for a coworker interested in having me set him up with a reasonable quick pick parts list. I am so happy I built my desktop last year and not this year. Crazy how much the prices on some stuff have shot up. Good luck, folks.

MY OLD PRICE:

CURRENT PRICE:

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Barreft posted:

I'm so loving tired of Creative's lovely drivers. I only have two speakers I'm not looking for top of the line audio, just audio. For some reason my Win 10 box doesn't recognize my X-Fi soundcard anymore, no matter how many times I uninstall the drivers, etc etc. Is there any dependable, not expensive card out there? My onboard sound doesn't work but it's a 9 year old PC so I'm not going to complain about that.

Whats your budget? It doesn't sound like you want to spend much and I don't blame you on a 9 year old PC. I bought this $25 USB sound card to use with my Sennheiser gaming headset and it works so loving well. No drivers or bloatware software install needed. Leaps and bounds better and cleaner sounding than the onboard sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XBZ38ZJ

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Barreft posted:

My budget is anything, but I just want to hear audio through my 2 speakers. I used to have a 7.1 system but that's not possible right now. That link says it enhances the onboard sound. Right now Windows doesn't detect my onboard or my XFi, so I just want something janky for the time being. I don't want anything Creative cause their drivers have caused me nuts over at least 20 years now, whenever the Creative Live came out. I'm fuckin old.

It is an external sound card in of itself, it doesn't use or need your onboard sound or X-fi at all. Disable/remove them and plug this in. 100% plug and play no software needed. Works loving great.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

DNK posted:

1080ti are just expensive. The cheapest they’ve ever been is like ~$775 with deals.

MSRP on them is $699 and there was a time they were sold at that. I bought the EVGA SC model when it released for $720 before people really went full on nuts about fake coins that somehow have value.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Anyone have any thoughts on these Micron 1100 SSDs I see popping up on my Amazon. A $330 2TB SSD sounds nice and good to keep my Steam/origin/whatever libraries on.

Are they junk?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Best bang for the buck is still probably the 1TB 7200 RPM Western Digital Blue drive at $45. Solid drive with a single platter gives it a bit of a (negligible) speed edge over larger more expensive 7200 RPM drives.

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B0088PUEPK

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I keep seeing this parroted about needing to use a SFX power supply with a GPU in a Nano S. I mean, yeah they're close together but even my 1080 Ti non-blower at 120% power limit doesn't go past like 70C under stress testing with my RMx 650 smashed next to it in my cramped Nano S.

I do not think there is an issue at all using a standard sized PSU.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Time never stops tick-tocking.

I guess later this year we're getting upgraded coffee lakes like an 8 core i9 part and yet another new chipset, Z390. I think any new gen is kind of on hold to 2019/2020ish because Intel had trouble going below 14nm.

Edit: https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-coming-to-z390-mainstream-platform-core-i9-9900k-flagship/

owls or something fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 3, 2018

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

$177 for a 1TB SSD if anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4G19X3

Can't speak personally on that brand's quality, but for the price that should make a nice drive for keeping games or whatever on and has a 3 year warranty.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

I pulled the trigger and got myself a Ryzen 2700X with 32GB memory. It's running Virtualbox compile server lovely. Took two working days to rebuild my work environment but 2500k was just so old. At least it's fast and stable and up and running now. I can't even buy this as service because the environment is custom to me only. :(

A question: I'm running Asus Prime 470X Pro with 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB. Memory speed is listed as 2133Mhz. Is there a way to crank this up while keeping the box stable? I tried changing RAM speed from Auto to 3000Mhz from BIOS settings. This caused the computer to not POST anymore. Took me a couple hours to get back into BIOS to change the setting back.

Any ideas what else to try?

Enable XMP. That will set your speed/timings/voltage to the correct settings for your set.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

XMP is an Intel thing so yeah enable DOCP which is the same thing basically for AMD I guess.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Look like RP-SMA to me, you can get adapters or antenna with that connection. The issue is they might be too close together to physically fit.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

I just bought a 1080ti off eBay and now I'm not sure if my psu can handle it. I have a seasonic 550w in there at the moment but I'm using an oc'ed ryzen 1700 with 4 ssds and 1 mech hard drive, in addition to a rift and some other poo poo hooked up to the usbs. Should I look into a 750w for the overhead?

You're likely pretty close to about 500w at full load maybe even more. You might be ok, but then all of a sudden one day you might not be. Probably wise to jump up to a bigger supply. 750w is good. 650w would also be fine.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Chaitai posted:

So I have a little money burning a hole in my pocket and would like to know where I can get the biggest bang for my buck in upgrading my computer. I bought it pre-built from Microcenter. It is their Powerspec G314 that was popular a little while ago.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 -7600K Processor

System Board: MSI Z270 PC Mate System Board

System Memory: 16GB composed of 2- 8192MB DDR4/3000 DIMMS

Hard Drive: 480GB SATA Solid State Drive (Plus another 256GB SSD and 2x 2TB drives from my last computer)

Video: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 PCI Express

Power Supply: 500 Watts

Monitor: 2x Dell S2417dg w/ Nvidia G-Sync

Not much really worth replacing there. If you've got an itch to tinker, maybe a new beefy CPU cooler and rock an overclock (if you haven't already)?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I went with a Chromebook 6 or so years ago for my literally "never used a computer mom". Recently got her an upgraded new model. She loves them and hasn't managed to gently caress anything up probably clicking on every ad she sees for free games or scammy bullshit u gots a virus popups.

Chromebook is good choice.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Gangringo posted:

I went with that asrock phantom it board because it seemed to be the most future-proof as far as I/O. It has both thunderbolt and USB 3.1 gen 2, plus enough USB ports to hook up a VR system if you decide to do that.

Also nice that it uses an Intel WiFi card. Usually Asus/MSI/Gigabyte use cheap a Broadcom cards and yeah they work but they're not great like Intel ones.

I'll probably try that board too with a 9700K and throw my Asus Z170 ITX and 6600K up on SA-Mart eventually.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Install Windows 10 clean, when it asks for a cd-key use the Windows 7/8 code.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

MZ posted:

Is there an easy way to get fullscreen apps (games) to display on the secondary display (TV) other than setting it to primary?

Winkey + P is how I used to switch between monitor and TV for gaming. Works best if you switch before launching the game usually.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Scope posted:

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming.
  • What's your budget? Hard to answer this directly, as I got "permission" to upgrade my GPU for Christmas but soon realized I need to upgrade a lot more at some point. I guess around $500 to start with, then more later.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? n/a
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080 on my primary monitor, no real desire to upgrade to anything bigger like 4K.

My current specs:

and a Corsair 750W PSU

Let's get that out of the way.

As you can probably see, I haven't upgraded in years. I think it's finally time, as many modern games I've played are starting to chug. The last AAA I tried was DOOM and I had to lower all the graphics options down to even make it playable. The last time I upgraded I had a friend working with me to help pick parts and make sure everything would work together. I'm doing this alone now and I have no idea where to begin. I would like to upgrade my GPU first, I was looking at a GTX 1080 but it seems like the 1070 ti would be a better value. How can I find out if either of those will even fit on my motherboard?

Something I noticed when I first turned my PC on and used speccy to get the system info, my GPU was sitting at 92C idling. I thought that was weird so I started up War Thunder and ran a benchmark mission. The temperature rose to around 95C and I heard the fans speed up inside the PC case. After I quit the game the temps dropped down to what you see on that screenshot and the fans slowed down. It's still sitting around that temperature (73C).

A 1070ti would be fine, probably even more than you'd need if you're only doing 1080p @ 60hz. A 1060 would be enough, and cheaper. There is no upgrade path for your current core componets. New CPU would need a new board and a new board would need new DDR4 RAM. A 1070ti would carry over well if you decide to go with a new CPU/MOBO/RAM down the road.

It sounds like your current GPU's fan has failed or at least needs a cleaning. It's also probably thermal throttling at 95F.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Scope posted:

Regarding what owls or something said, if the GPU is thermal throttling at 95C, would it stop throttling when temperatures dropped back down?

It probably starts throttling back in the mid 80s. I think at 100C it will just shut down completely to protect from damage.

Either way, it's running way too hot. You should be in the low 70s or high 60s under full load with the fan not even near 100%. Something is wrong.

Overclock the CPU if it's not already since it's free. Throw in a better GPU and you'll probably be fine at 1080p 60hz for a bit until you're ready to upgrade the rest. An SSD is a great idea, even if it's over SATA.

Maybe give it all good cleaning. You probably got 8+ years of crud in there.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 2, 2019

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

Made an earlier post and didn't get a response but since then I think I'm going to go in a different direction. Built a computer two years ago with a 6600k that's really showing signs of struggling and I have no idea why. I've read really good things about the Ryzen 2700x.

I don't need to replace the storage, PSU, or my 1080 since they're all pretty young so I'm thinking of building something around the 2700. I will not be overclocking. I have a mATX case so I'm guessing I should stick to that. I have no idea what to look for in a motherboard though.

I've had an ASUS for the last few years without issues, but I'm not tied to them. Any suggestions for a good motherboard pairing and is there anything else I need to take into consideration?

6600k shouldn't be struggling in games at all, even high refresh. Unless you're trying to game and do streaming/encoding in which case you shouldn't have went with a quad core in the first place.

The 7700k upgrade probably won't help much in that use case either.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I have this monitor and I'll say this:

The pixel density of 1440p on a 24" display is very crisp & the viewing angles are decently fine for a TN panel. The bad side is that the colors are very washed out and the gamma is like way too loving high and can't be adjusted on the monitor. But it's a $350 GSYNC high refresh rate 1440p monitor so thems the tradeoffs.

I got to a place of being overall content with it by finding my preferred brightness and then dropping the gamma down 10 notches and bumping up the digital vibrance by 10 within the NV control panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Question: Are the following components a dead nuts, hands down objective upgrade when compared to my current components?

Current Components:
* i5-3570K OC'd to 3.4 GHz
* Some mATX motherboard
* 4 GB RAM

Replacing Components:
* i5-7500 @ 3.2 GHz
* AsROCK B250 Pro4 ATX
* 16GB of DDR4 @ 2.4GHz

All of the replacing components will be sold to me for $175.

It's a small CPU upgrade but you'd lose overclocking. Probably not worth it. Maybe consider just spending (less) money to stick more RAM in what you currently have?