Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
I decided that on my next PC that I want to be fancy and poo poo. Trying to do Black and White build which I assume is getting more and more common if not cliche by now. Main tasks are gaming @1440p and streaming. I do have an oculus coming my way too if that makes a difference.

My issue is the board selection which limits my options. Don't really want to go past $200 so my options are these two:

MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z170akraitgaming3x
Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z170pro

Right now I'm leaning towards the MSI board because the features seem similar to the Asus but a little bit cheaper.

Current shopping list I have at the moment, I do have a MSI GTX 970 I'm going to use until the next gen cards out and see if I can find a white covered one for a decent price. Then going to throw that into the suitcase PC to make that one a portable VR machine.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($63.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Intel 535 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($150.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($113.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1064.70

RiceBurrito fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, black/white build eh? Here is a different take on that:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($240.31 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 WHITE 182.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($113.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1136.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-05 07:46 EDT-0400

1) I changed out the CPU cooler for an AIO watercooler, it's still white, it will perform better and I think it looks better since you can see the mobo details much better without the giant HSF getting in the way.
2) I think you should go with the Asus Z170-PRO for the motherboard, it has better VRM heatsinking and I think it will look a lot better with the rear I/O stuff covered up.
3) I changed out the RAM for some faster stuff, it's silver so it should mesh with everything else well, it will also match Nvidia's reference cooler well if you can't find a black and white card to use.
4) I changed out the SSD for a better one, the 850 EVO is faster and at least as reliable, it's black so it will contrast well against the white of the case I picked here.
5) For the case I went with the NZXT H440, it's a very nice case and the black and white version is very classy looking, the SSD can mount on top of the PSU shroud, the case also has very clean cable management so it will look really nice with the full build inside. It's also a sound dampened case so it will make for a very quiet system.
6) I changed out the PSU for a better one, it has black sleeved cables so those should look good with everything else, it's also fully-modular and just a much nicer PSU in general for about the same price.

You should also probably pick up a set of white sleeved cable extensions for the 24-pin, 8-pin CPU and 6/8-pin VGA cables, CableMod makes nice ones.

Anyway, I hope that helps out and you end up with a slick looking build. :)

Thanks for the suggestions on everything, especially the motherboard. I didn't even think about water cooling since I didn't see any white colored ones. Definitely looking into that now. Same with the SSD, I figured I was going to get either an Intel or Samsung in the end. The Ram and the PSU I will keep in mind too.
I think I'm gonna lean towards keeping the case I want. I know its bigger than most cases and pretty loud, but I kinda want the color selectable LED lighting and the LED strip that can be used for it.

Also definitely going to be using cable extensions on everything if possible so thanks for that too, I was leaning towards silverstone ones but that looks like the better deal and brand.

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
I'm trying to find a decent price on some white sleeving kits for my black and white build. I was going to order from Perfomance-Pcs.com but they're charging $16 for shipping a bunch of cables so gently caress that.

Checking around Newegg and Amazon and found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812987035&cm_re=white_psu_cable_kit-_-12-987-035-_-Product

Should this be fine? Will it not burn out my computer and house? The PSU I have is the EVGA Supernova 750W G2. I can actually get some offical ones from EVGA but they're almost cost as much as the PSU itself.

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
I'm pretty much done purchasing my parts for the build. The last thing I'm looking at is the 2nd HD. Right now I have a 500gb Samsung SSD as the main drive. Looking for something in the 3-4tb range for mostly media and more importantly running games and programs that I don't use as frequently.

Is any 7200rpm drive good enough? Looking at the Western Digital Black and Blues and maybe even those hybrid drives that have come out the past couple years.

I think the Seagate 4tb hybrid is at a decent price on amazon so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on that.