Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The psu in my 9+ y.o. machine finally bit it, probably taking the MB with it. I'm thinking about this as a solid cheapish upgrade. I use my desktop as both a gaming machine and my work computer (statistics/number crunching and light scientific computing). I don't care much about overclocking - I've had an OC-capable machine for years and never bothered. I'm looking for any recommendations or things that could be better for the same cost or cheaper for the same performance. I live in Hawaii, so I'm trying to stick to Amazon for the prime shipping. Thanks goons!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Two more 3.5" drives from my old machine
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 970 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card (My old card - keeping until prices are sane)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon - already purchased to test old machine)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($94.98 @ Amazon) link
Total: $840.92

Originally I was considering this ASRock z370 killer/ac / i5-8400 / Corsair Vengeance 2x8 bundle on Newegg for $497 together with a Cooler Master N400. I like the idea of shrinking down to a mATX, though, so long as I'm not sacrificing too many features. Unfortunately, my old 970 won't fit in an ITX case, but I could still go all the way when I pick up a new card!

VVV oh nice! Thanks VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

I may be in need of a new PC in the near future - hoping I can recover mine tomorrow, we will see.

It's old though, and it seems that miners have driven GPU prices through the roof. Am I better off building these days or buying prebuilt? Note that ordering from Newegg is a no go for me, but I do have a local Microcenter. I don't have a strict budget other than <$1k, and I do play games. I'm perfectly comfortable building, FWIW, just doesn't seem to be cost effective right now.

If your old graphics card is relatively recent, you may be able to sell it for a chunk of change to put towards a new one. That's what pushed me over the edge to pick up a 1060 - I got a new itx 6gb off ebay for $325, but it looks like I should be able to sell my old 970 for $250-300. And if prices ever go back down, I can do a proper upgrade.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Super86 posted:

Fellow goons,

My current PC bought in 2011 is already showing its age. I need to know if I can bring it back to 2018 and decent performance just by upgrading the graphics card, or I would be better off buying a new one altogether.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Setup as follows:

Intended system usage: Gaming.
Max Budget: Around 1500€
Monitor setup: Double monitor, 2560x1080 + 1920x1080
Fancy graphics?: I don't need "everything at Ultra", but I don't want to upgrade again in another 5-7 years if possible. So I guess that means "Everything at Ultra".

So long as you don't care about running games on both monitors or with ultra settings, a new graphics card should do you fine. Before the motherboard bit the dust, my old i7 970K/6GB RAM ran games like Destiny 2 and The Division just fine on high with a 4GB GTX 970. I personally wouldn't recommend anything lower than a 4GB 970 or 6gb 1060, but you might be able to find one of those on ebay or the like for ~€300. I doubt that one of those would last you another 5-7 years if you want to play the newest/fanciest games, but the 1070 and 1080 are so ridiculously priced right now (€850+ vs €350+ msrp) that you might find it worthwhile just waiting to see what happens with prices.

For the CPU, there's not a whole lot you can do with an upgrade without replacing the MOBO and RAM, too. A 3770K would fit on your board, but would set you back €300+ for minimal improvement. A z370 MOBO with 2x8GB of DDR4 3200 looks like it would be about €300 and then another €150-€350 for something between an i5 8400 and an i7 8700K.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Super86 posted:

Thanks. It's precisely running The Division what made me decide. I'm running it on Low and I don't even reach 30fps most of the time during combat.

Regarding the CPU, I don't feel the need to upgrade it at all. Why should I? It's just "good practice", or there is more to it?

Nope, never overclocked it. As I said I've never felt my CPU were under real stress so I've never felt the need. Is there something I'm missing?

Here's an article directly comparing the 2600K to the 8700K with a GTX 1070 and GTX 1080:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76333-i7-2600k-vs-i7-8700k-upgrading-worthwhile-16.html

It looks like the results were:
- With a GTX 1070 at 1080p, the gaming performance boost of the 8700K was extremely minor for most games (0-10% fps). GTA 5 saw a 25% performance boost.
- With a GTX 1080, the boost of the 8700K was slightly larger for most games, suggesting that the 2600K might start becoming a bottleneck for faster GPUs. Moving to a 1080 gave almost no performance boost for GTA 5 on the 2600K, but a hefty boost for the 8700K.
- At 1440p, the differences between the 2600K and 8700K become even more negligible (since a greater % of the total work is being done on the GPU).

So if you're only looking at current-gen gaming on a 1070 or less and not CPU-dependent productivity computing, there's currently little gain in upgrading. The 2600K falls a bit more behind when feeding the 1080, so this might change in the near future when faster cards are available (but so long as your computer is still chugging along, you could hold off upgrading until then!)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Super86 posted:

Thanks for the advice!

I think I'm just upgrading the GPU for the time being, probably to a GeForce 970. I'll try overclocking the CPU a little and see if it makes a difference.

By the way, I've read many of you mention that GPU prices are currently exceptionally high. Why is that?

The buttcoin-alike bubble has people all over the world laying down fat cash to waste energy on imaginary unstable tulipyramidcoins instead of entertainment. My opinions may be slightly biased. Fabrication can't keep up with demand so distributors have either raised prices by 2x-3x, gone out of stock, or both.

Here's ArsTechnica's take. From what I've heard, there actually wrong about graphics card being useful for mining bitcoin and etherium - (more) established cryptocurrency mining is moving towards specialized hardware. That doesn't stop the hordes from jumping on the newest SouthSeaCoin in search of the next big thing.

Mike the TV posted:

Awesome, that helps a lot, thanks! Either way, I'll get a new PSU, but if I was to upgrade, I would need a new motherboard, a new CPU, andnew RAM. So it's getting costly.
Thanks again!

If you decide to go that route, Newegg has some mobo/cpu/ram bundles that'll shave off $20+ dollars, i.e. 8400/asrock itx/16GB for $500 or 8700K/ASUS ATX/16GB for $640. They're pretty easy to find just by throwing "[cpu#] 16GB" into the Newegg search bar.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 1, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

bergeoisie posted:

My wife is looking to get a new desktop. She does some light gaming (mainly WoW and SC2) and does some Adobe CS work (some photo editing and graphic design work).

Here's my current thought

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($156.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($41.16 @ Amazon)
Total: $732.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-28 21:02 EST-0500

And I have an old GTX 760 that I plan on using as a stopgap for a bit until prices stabilize. Any suggestions for things to swap out?

To follow up on Big Headline's recommendations, if you're willing to go with an ITX board, Newegg has this ASRock ITX with AC WIFI/ 8100 / 16GB of DDR4 3000 bundle for $437, about where your MB/CPU/RAM/WIFI is at. I recently picked up a similar bundle (the 8400 version) and slapped it in a Thermaltake Suppressor F1, and I'm totally in love to the point I don't think I go back to ATX machines. The OP has several ITX recommendations and some even squeeze in an 5.25" optical drive slot (like the Corsair 250D). Unless you're old 760 is enormous, everything should fit nicely. (E: If you go this route, definitely check the GPU clearance, though - the longer 3-fan cards usually won't fit)

For storage, if you're willing to drop the SSD down to a 250GB ($95), or the $90 crucial mx300 270GB, you could drop in a $60 2TB standard hard drive for extended storage. They're definitely noisier and slower, but it's nice to have all that extra space without fiddling with external drive.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 1, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking to spend less than $500 for a gaming machine. Don't really care about playing at max @ 1080p but would like to have it look not terrible.

I'm fine with buying prebuilt right now and willing to use some older hardware (perhaps nothing older than 3rd gen i-series or nVidia 800). Ebay has a bunch of machines with cards like the 1030GT and such. Could that hold me over for a little while until gpu prices come down?

That's definitely going to be a pretty tight squeeze right now. What sort of games are you looking to play? For modern games like Battlefield 1, a 1030 is going to have middling performance (<60 fps) at 1080p, even with low settings. A 1050 ti will do well with medium settings, but a 1060/970/780 is really the best if you want to play modern games at 1080p on high settings with decent fps. Unfortunately, they're also all running $250-350 even if you're scouring ebay, which doesn't leave a lot for the rest of the machine.

Newegg has this refurbished MSI for $569, which is the closest I've seen to a 1060/970 machine at your price point:
MSI G11CD-B11
- Intel i5-6400
- NVIDIA GTX970 4GB
- 8GB DDR4 2133
- 1TB HD
- Win10 Home

I'm not familiar with Newegg refurbished items, so maybe someone else could weigh in with experience. If you felt like you had another $50 to throw at it, getting a 120GB SSD for the OS should massively boost your boot times.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 2, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

beggar posted:

I recently bought this prebuilt with a 3GB 1060 and it is giving me 60fps at 1080p running on High visual settings for Civ VI, Overwatch, Total Warhammer, and it sometimes dips into the 30s for Kingdom Come but typically only in city centers. Overall its exceeded my expectations

Also, 3gb 1060s are going for about $280-300 on ebay. You could swap it out for one of the cheaper 6gb versions for $60-$70 if you felt like splurging.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Artelier posted:

Forgot to mention those!

1) Don't expect to go above 1080 anytime soon. If I can hit at least 60 for new games at (relatively) high settings I'm good.
2) 1060 6GB, read the thread advice to NEVER GO 3GB DIDN'T CONSIDER IT
3) Sounds like the 8400 is a much better investment then?

The 6402P may have slightly better performance right now since the 1070 kicks out roughly 20-40% more fps on most games than the 1060, but that boost will be reduced somewhat because the 6402p may have trouble feeding the gpu at maximum efficiency. If you try to upgrade the graphics card in the future, that problem will just get worse. Additionally, for 99% of current games both rigs will hit 60fps on ultra or high settings at 1080p, so any performance gains for the 1070 are going to be mostly moot.

The 8400, on the other hand, will come with a newer motherboard, support faster RAM, it's 6 cores will come in handy when future games better utilize more cores, and will easily feed a fancier graphics card if you upgrade in a few years.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 7, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Arivia posted:

You only have 1 stick so it’s hard to test for RAM problems, but try putting it in other RAM slots too.

Double check that it's pushed all the way in, too. When you've pushed it in enough, the clips should automatically close.

E: Er, clip, singular, on this board.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 9, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Neitherman posted:

The CPU was definitely locked into the socket and the heatsink was definitely very tightly in place.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/HelpDesk_QVL/

I don't see my exact model number on the QVL for the motherboard but I see other Crucial models on the list which makes me think there shouldn't be a problem there. Regardless, even if the RAM was incompatible wouldn't it still POST? I think it may be time for me to start looking for another motherboard since even the "Haswell compatible" PSU failed me. Problem is I have to find a Z270 chipset board now that I bought that CPU.

Edit: Is it worth it to try calling ASUS support? Would they actually be knowledgeable/helpful?

If you bought everything together recently, you might be able to just take the whole bundle back. Check the store's return policy. Alternatively, you may be able to recover most of your costs on ebay, depending what you paid.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Whether you can get a good deal on a pre-built machine also depends somewhat on where you live.

(Microcenter isn't a good option for Hawaii)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

pliable posted:

I read that Intel is planning on hardware fixes for Spectre/Meltdown for CPUs released later this year. Would it be worth to wait for those? I've been eyeing the 8700K, and I figure in the future I could get a water cooling system and overclock the CPU to try and regain some of the lost performance from the microcode patches or whatever. But I can also be patient and wait if there is going to be a true hardware fix, so :shrug:

Ultimately, it depends on how badly you need an upgrade now and what you primarily do with your machine. Since gaming performance is largely unaffected by the microcode fixes, I imagine that the Coffee Lake will probably hold their value pretty well, and so you could swap out processors when the Cannon Lake comes out.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Citizen Zee posted:

I've reached a point where I'm hoping to kick the can down the road just a bit further on my current PC. I use it for gaming, but happily live with medium/high settings on newer stuff. I've done a number of "Can You Run It" style tests and the consensus seems to be that my processor is currently the bottleneck that's keeping me from having a playable experience in newer games (PUBG and Subnautica immediately come to mind) with effects that rely a bit more on processing power. It's also possible that I don't know poo poo about poo poo and I'm completely wrong. Here are my specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64
Gigabyte Technology P55M-UD2 Motherboard
12 GB RAM
Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @2.67GHz 2261 Mhz 4 Cores
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
250GB SSD/1TB HDD

If it seems feasible for me to spend between a hundred and two hundred dollars on a new processor in order to have a reasonable experience in newer games I'd be thrilled, but I'm also open to the possibility that further upgrades to this system might not be the best course of action. Again, I'm not really looking to set the world aflame with my graphical prowess - just to have a smooth experience with reasonable settings in select newer titles.

Thoughts?

If you decide you'd like to try a processor upgrade, I have an i7 950 from my old machine that I'm 90% sure still works (pretty sure it was the motherboard that finally went). Out of the box, I don't think it'll be much of an upgrade, but if you have a decent heatsink/fan you're motherboard should be capable of overclocking it a bit. PUBG at least sounds like it has some strange performance cutoffs, so it might help a bit! Just PM your info if you're interested! I'd be glad to give it a new home - I've been hesitant sell when I'm not 100% sure it still works (and they don't go for much on ebay).

Farg posted:

I use computers for gaming a lot but I will be trying to build my first computer. My budget caps out at 1500. I was looking at pcpartpicker and found this build

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/7Dyp99/enthusiast-intel-gaming-build

is this reasonable for my needs and price point? I will be using it with 2 monitors, maybe 3 in the future. Additionally, I just purchased an 850w EVGA PSU recently and will be using that instead of the one on that build. Any thoughts?'

e: i'm not doing super DUPER high end stuff so if i can save a reasonable amount of bucks on some of these parts without losing too much i would be very much ok with that

Don't forget that you can pick up a cheap Windows 7 key from SA Mart (or elsewhere) and upgrade to Win10 for free!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 26, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

This wouldn't work with his P55 board. i7-9xx is the HEDT platform of its time and goes in socket 1366; everything from the 800s on down goes in socket 1156.

Ah, thanks. It's obviously been a while :blush:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

Quick question. I have a build that's about 4 years old.

I have a GTX 760 2 GB in it right now, but I was thinking about upgrading to a GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB

I'm not really doing any AAA gaming on my PC any more and I'd like to get a bit of a graphical boost without breaking the bank on a 1080.

I did some rough power calculations on Newegg and the power draw should be about the same or less

Does that seem like a short sighted move, or should I try and wait for a 1060 or 1070 if the prices ever drop

What games are you playing that are stressing your 760? For, say, Witcher 3, it looks like going from a 760 2gb to a 1050 ti should let you go from medium to high settings while maintaining 50-60 fps (hairworks off). For fixed settings, you'd like see something like a 10-20% increase in fps, depending on the game.

Here's a couple of reviews with card comparisons for various games (the 760 would fall somewhere between the 950 and the 960):
https://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1050-review/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1050_Ti_G1_Gaming/25.html

Someone else may chime in differently, but I'd say spending the extra $120 to get a 1060 6gb would be well worth it. Its a significant boost over the 1050 ti (something like 40-90%), and would let you play modern games at high/ultra settings at 1080p have have a longer useful lifespan than the 1050 ti. Since it sounds like there won't be any new 11x or 20x Nvidia cards this year it would tide you over for longer.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

Well right now, it's Far Cry 5, which I can comfortably play, but only at 1366x768 and everything at low settings. The game is still great looking, but I hate playing at less than 1080p and I can see the writing on the wall.

I had always planned on upgrading a few years after the build, but the 760 chugged along pretty great until now and then when the GPUpocolypse happened with bitcoin mining, I figured I'd wait it out till the 11 series for the prices to drop, and well...

Far Cry 5 looks like the 1050 ti pulls 60/52/47/42 fps for low/med/high/ultra, while a 1060 6gb averages around 70 fps on ultra.
https://www.pcgamer.com/far-cry-5-settings-and-benchmarks/

Anecdotally, it's silky smooth at ultra on my 1060 6gb. That's with an 8400, so your mileage may vary, but it sounds like a 1050 ti -> 1060 is difference between low/medium and high/ultra if you care about getting close to 60 fps.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you're looking for a $1000 gaming computer right now, it might be worth considering spending the extra $200 instead for something like this:

ASRock Z370-ITX/ac ($134.99 - $10 rebate; Newegg)
2x8GB G.Skill DDR4 3000 ($202.34; Newegg)
Intel i5 8400 ($178.99; Newegg)
250GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 ($94.99; Newegg)
Toshiba P300 2TB PC Desktop Hard Drive 7200 RPM (or some other recommended 7200 rpm hard drive - I'm not too familiar with these) ($61.99; Newegg)
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550W ($79.99 - $25.00 rebate; Newegg)
MSI 1060 6gb Aero ITX ($359.99; Newegg) - or another similarly priced 1060 6gb
A case of your choice like Thermaltake Core V1 ITX ($50.42; Newegg)
A $25 dollar Win7 key from SA Mart

Total: $1,188.70 - $35.00 rebates

This is pretty close to what I put together, and I'm pretty happy with it. Shopping around might find you better deals, but going lower than an 8400, 1060 6gb, or 16gb RAM will be a relatively big hit for only $50-100 or so.

Alternatively, if you're near a microcenter, $1200 gets you perennial recommendation:
PowerSpec G315 Desktop Computer; Intel Core i5-8600K Processor 3.7GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5; 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 256GB Solid State Drive

or for $929.99:
PowerSpec G221 Desktop Computer; Intel Core i5-7500 Processor 3.40GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5; 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM; 1TB HDD + 250GB SSD

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Triebeard posted:

I'm thinking of getting a i7-8700k build. I'll stick with my GTX970 for now but this is what I'm thinking so far.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yqsBbX

Can I get a sanity check? What do you guys think?

Are you currently doing something that 32gb of RAM is important for? DD4 prices are insane right now, so unless you have a good reason to want more than 16gb, you're probably better off putting that $225 towards a nicer motherboard. I believe the ASUS Z370-A or -E (basically -A+wireless) is the general recommendation for good ATX boards, but I don't have experience with them.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

My motherboard died and it's old as gently caress (I have a 2500k on it still) so I'm doing a forced upgrade. Just mobo, ram and processor. Also a new case because I hate my old one.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G8D8MZ

Trying to be cheap. Don't care to oc at all. Bringing over other components that are still fine. Anything wrong with this other than a mini itx board looking hilariously small in a big case? I picked it because I don't feel I need a full size board and it is cheap.

You can save :10bux:+$3 by getting the mobo/cpu as a combo on Newegg. There's also a mobo/cpu/RAM combo, but the savings don't really make up for the more expensive Corsair RAM.

When you set it up, be sure to set the RAM profile to "XMP" in the bios to unlock the 3200 MHz speed (otherwise it will max out at 2666 MHz).

Is there a reason you want to go with an ATX case? There's plenty of good cheap itx cases, especially if you're not overclocking. It looks like the Corsair 230T does support itx motherboards, if you still want to go that route.

If you're planning on using an old power supply (5+ years old), it's very much worth it to get a new one. The Focus Seasonic Gold Plus is a standard recommendation now, and they currently have pretty good rebates on Newegg.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Got curious in a another thread about the cheapest, not totally crappy gamer starter PC one could build. What do you think?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXXykd
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXXykd/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: *MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Rosewill - Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.33 @ Newegg)

Total: $359.18

Pretty dang cheap, imho, leaves room for expansion. Maybe going up to ATX could save some money? Also, this only has 2 RAM slots which makes upgrading later a more all or nothing thing.

What games are you interested in playing? For AAA 3d games from the last 4-5 years, the 2200G alone will be mostly playable at 720p with low/med settings and maybe at 1080p, depending on the game. If you end up wanting better performance for those types of games, you could always pop in a used 970 or 1060, at which point it looks like the 2200G is pretty comparable to i3-8100. Used 970s and 1060s are currently going for $150-200 on ebay, and 1060s should still be under warranty.

I'd recommend spending the extra $20 (after rebate) for a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W. That gets you a 10-year warranty and a better PSU, which is the absolute last part you want to fail.

Don't forget that you can pick up a Win7 key for $25 from forums poster BrownThunder, and use the media creation tool to upgrade to Windows 10.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dimo ArKacho posted:

For all the people who have chimed in so far, when I said I copy/pasted the list into the thread, I meant the list he gave me. I've done nothing to make this more sane yet, mainly because I'm very out of the loop on what's decent and what's crap anymore.

Thank you all for your responses so far, too. I'mma read them all now.

Another thing to consider - graphics card prices are coming down now, and while it hasn't affected new retail prices so much, used and auction prices are much better. If you're planning on gaming at 4K, a 1080 ti will serve much better than a 1080.

New/used MSI 1080 ti's are going for ~$700-$800 on ebay now, and MSI uses the serial # and manufacture date for their 3-year warranty, so even used purchases should still have 1 1/2 to 3 years of warranty left. I think EVGA + a few other brands have similar policies, so you should be fine if you're willing to ask for a picture of the serial # on the card and aggressively return any cards with obviously misrepresented condition.

E: It looks like it's MSI, EVGA, ASUS, and Gigabyte that will use manufacture date on the S/N for warranty.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 13, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FunOne posted:

Welp. The replacement Antec PSU arrived and ...no difference. If I remove the video card the soft-reboot thing stops, but nothing comes out through the onboard video. The 4670 is supposed to support onboard video though. My only other replacement video card has ports for monitors I no longer have.

No amount of hardware dance seems to make anything happen. Should I accept this as a broken MB/processor and move on with my life? Or should I try a replacement video card too?

EDIT: This is so frustrating because the computer has been rock solid up until this. I'm not used to broken computers that behave correctly without a nice blown cap or something to point at.

In my NewEgg cart I currently have an i7-8700, ASUS Prime Z370, and CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 (x2) and an ANTEC NSK4100 Black SGCC.

Is that the correct RAM for that processor? Things used to have specs, now that everything is over clocked or whatever I'm not sure if the RAM is appropriately EXTREEME enough.

And is that Antec NSK4100 a servicable, quiet desktop case? I need to work next to it all day, I need quiet when possible.

You might consider calling around repair shops - testing the mobo/ram/cpu/graphics card would probably run $50-100.

Are you near a microcenter (or know someone who is)? You can currently get an 8700k + ASUS Prime for $410. There were some rumblings about ASUS motherboards a few pages back, but I'm not sure how serious they were, or whether they affect the Prime models. Also, you can save $20 for better performance by going with 2x8gb G.Skill 3200 instead of the Corsair. If your scientific computing is RAM heavy, there should be a noticeable performance improvement (maybe 5-10%).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

artoke posted:

It has been like 10 years since I built my computer and it's about time to build a new one. Just want to make sure I am not making any stupid mistakes with ordering the parts. Here is what I am thinking:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($162.70 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - X370 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($95.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $653.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-15 12:57 EDT-0400

That is just about where my budget is, I can go a little higher if needed. I don't game too much other than old versions of WoW so I can wait for graphics cards to calm down a bit before investing there. I can salvage the hard drive and monitors from my current setup for sure. Is my old graphics card still worth using?

What do you use your desktop for besides gaming? Newegg has an i5-8400/ ASRock mobo combo for $95, which is only ~$12 more than the 2400G/mobo you're looking at. You'd have better performance on productivity-type computing, but you'd need to pick up a discrete gpu. Nvidia 1060 3GBs going for about $150-200 used on ebay right now, which would put you a bit over budget but might be worth considering if you serious productivity/scientific computing and/or want better gaming performance. MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte 1060s have transferable warranties based on manufacture date and should still have 1.5-3 years of warranty left.

E: If anyone is looking for 1080 ti, I came across this while trolling for deals:

Pixel Trading through storenvy.com - MSI 1080 ti AERO for $637 + free shipping

Not so sure about the veracity of the seller, but they look like a legitimate business and they accept paypal so you should be covered if it turns out to be a scam.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 24, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lackmaster posted:

I’m waffling between the 1050-TI and a 1060 3GB. It seems like I can get the 1050TI for low 200’s and the 1060 3GB for mid 200’s.

Which will be better over the next few years? I plan I getting this and then waiting a few years with the hope that GPU prices will be better. Am I screwing myself over by locking into 3 GB with the 1060 vs. getting 4 GB (but worse performance) with the 1050?

E: This is for an 8400 on 1080p with 16 GB DDR4 3200 - hoping for 40+ FPS on high even for new games over the next few years.

It looks like you might be able to snag a used 1060 6gb for $250-280 off ebay if you're able to spend some time trolling for a deal. MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte all have 3-year warranties based on manufacture date (the first part of the S/N, if the picture includes that). Definitely don't go with the 1050 ti if you're interested in playing AAA games over the next few years at anything over low settings - even some current games would have be dropped to medium or low settings to get half-way decent frame rates (Witcher 3, FFXV, etc).

E: ASUS does not have transferable warranty.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 24, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Farg posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on this new PC, can anyone see anything immediately wrong with this list, or any obvious optimization i can make while staying at the same price area?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jordanlopez1740/saved/mzQ4CJ

no psu because i already have a recently purchased quality one

If you're willing to spend $600 for a 1080, you might be interested in this:

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AERO 11G OC for $637 shipped

I haven't tried it and don't have any experience with storenvy.com or Pixel Trading, but they both appear to be legitimate companies and since they accept Paypal you should be able to get your money back if anything is amiss. May or may not be worth the hassle, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Arivia posted:

Buying a blower style MSI 1080ti sounds like asking for trouble. I’m not quite sure where that is in relation to the infamous Duke but ehhhhhhh

I found it window-shopping for blower-style cards for an itx case. It sounds like the 1080 version definitely had some thermal issues, but the 1080ti has a different cooler. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any major outlets reviewed the ti aero, but the few posts I've found suggest that it's a little hotter than open-style cards, but tends to stay under ~76 or so, which is decently below the 83 degree throttle temp.

Here's a Brazilian video review comparing the aero to an aorus and zotac mini
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbfxOC5eV74

It sounds like MSI may not have an issue with aftermarket-market cooling, but this is second-hand:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/72-ati-cooling/1634049-amd-waterblocks-warranties.html#post26218868

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 18, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I have a dilemma. I've been gaming on PS4 the last few years and my PC specs have fallen behind the minimum for modern games. I picked up PUBG on Steam but I find I'm only getting 17 FPS or so on minimum settings. My goal is to bump that up to 30+ as cheaply as possible, hopefully using my current motherboard. Here's my current setup:

Windows 10 64 bit
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7 ~3.5Ghz
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 710

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you absolutely don't care about going over low settings or getting a stable 60 fps, it sounds like you could get away with a used gtx 950 ($50-100 trolling ebay).

If you want something with a warranty, the gt 1030 looks like it cam hover around 30-40 fps at 1080p (better at 720p). You'll need to get one with a proper fan setup, not a "low-profile" version, so I'd recommend trolling ebay for a MSI, ASUS, EVGA, or Gigabyte model, since those manufacturers offer 3-year warranties from manufacture date. They're currently going for $80-120ish on ebay. Note that the 1030 is slightly less powerful than the 950.

Those are both very painful to recommend, though - if you think you might be interested in playing any other games in the future you're better off spending a little extra to pick up a 1060 3gb. Used/new MSI, ASUS, EVGA, or Gigabyte versions are currently going for $150-$200. Even paired with your older CPU, a 1060 3gb should make pretty much every current game playable (most at high settings), and given your requirements should probably carry forward quite well. Used MSI, ASUS, EVGA, and Gigabyte models are currently going for $150-200ish. The 1050 ti is another option, but right now it's only maybe $10-15 in savings over the 1060 3gb for roughly 60% the performance. The 1060 6gb is better if you think you might care about high/max settings, but adds $75-100 over the 3gb version.

Lackmaster posted:

This was good advice. I snagged a "slightly used" PNY1060 6 GB for $270 flat on eBay. Thanks! Can't wait to finally see what my machine can really do.

You're welcome! With the butt*coin drop there's something like a $100+ gap between "slightly used" and retail. I managed to pick up a MSI 1070 ti with 2.5 years of warranty left for $400, finally less than msrp!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 18, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Your case doesnt have a 5 and 1/2 inch drive bay for that dvd rom. Other than that it looks great!

Shitpost Malone posted:

Doh! I knew I was missing something. I’ll probably just end up getting an external dvd so the wife can make her monthly Smilebox or whatever it’s called picture montage for the family. Do you see any reason to bump the cpu up to the i7 8700k?

It actually does - it's just difficult to see in the pictures. You can see it in the manual art, and there's a removable optical drive bracket behind the slot:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

Yeah, the monitor upgrade is coming later on down the line- hopefully this summer.

Are you doing 4K or 1440p?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I purchased a new videocard yesterday and I've run into a hiccup installing it. My current mobo is a Lenovo, which requires a 14 pin out from the PSU as well as a 4 pin out. My new card requires a 6 pin out, which my PSU does not have.

I do have another PSU. It's an aftermarket one that has a 20 pin out, multiple 4's and 6's. I called around locally and I was told that Lenovo's 14 pin out is proprietary and my best bet is to ebay a 14 pin to 20 pin converter.

My question is this: is it possible to get this working temporarily by having the Lenovo PSU connected to the 14 and the 4 pin on the mobo, and then connecting the aftermarket PSU to the 6 pin on the videocard?

What model is your Lenovo (and psu model)? It sounds like make of the Lenovo psu have a 6-pin connector, but it might be tucked away in a corner of the case:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Workstations/Thinkstation-P500-PCI-E-Quadro-power-connection/m-p/1850512/highlight/true#M6996

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

Wanna make sure I'm not doing anything particularly stupid with this build.

Also, when comparing this to the Microcenter pre-builts that get recommended pretty often in here- the G429 and the G351- how much of a difference am I looking at performance-wise? Is shelling out the extra $150-$250 for the 1080 going to make a noticeable difference in playing stuff(PUBG, Sea of Thieves) at 1080p?

You might also want to spend an extra $15 for a 2tb WD blue. Games are only getting bigger and 1.5tb will fill up pretty fast unless you have much much better cleaning habits than me.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

PC Parts picker says it's $3,168 Cdn new... that's insane and like 1.5 months pay for him.

I paid about $2,200 after 12% sales tax, assembled.

If you think you might want an equivalent gaming machine in Australia, you might want to consider stripping the RAM and graphics card and taking them in your luggage. That'll save you a lot on the Australia end, and your friend could slap a 1060 or used 1070 ti / 1080 and have a good machine for a savings. Unless you're actually using that 32GB of ram for productivity, you could even consider taking 2 sticks and leaving 2 sticks.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Lenovo model: 90BG003JUS
PSU model: Huntkey Model HK280-25FP

I did remove the bay and dig around in the case, no extra 6 pin hidden that I could see. In any case, I had already removed the original PSU which only has a 12 pin out and a 4 pin out. The 6 pin on the videocard would need to be connected to a PSU 6 pin, not a 6 pin slot in the mobo, right?

The PSU sounds like it's 180W, so it wouldn't be able to handle a discrete graphics card that requires a 6-pin PCIE connector anyway. Definitely go with the new PSU and a 20->14 pin adapter (you can get these from Amazon as well as Ebay). Make sure that the adapter is labeled as compatible with your computer - apparently the pinout can differ between models.

Don't try to use both PSUs at the same time - using two separate grounds and voltage control systems could damage the system or power supplies.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Still, selling the 1080Ti and 16GB of the RAM isn't a terrible idea.

It'd at least pay for a nice new surfboard or two.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 19, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Thanks for everyones input so far, I am much obliged. Been reading this thread, researching the net, and calling around local computer stores. As I mentioned before, I do have an Ultra brand 550w PSU I can use, with the caveat that I'd need one of tbe following to use it with my Lenovo mobo: A compatible 20 pin to 14 pin converter, a molex to 14 pin converter (if they make it) or a sata to 14 pin converter. (again, if its even available)

I was told converters aren't necessarily safe by a local tech, and I've been told it would be difficult to find a new PSU with a 14 out, a 6 out, and a 4 out. If these things arent necessarily true, can anyone recommend a converter that would be absolutely safe to use with a Lenovo of my model, or a 500w PSU with the 14, 6, and 4 pins that I need?

One last followup question. I have a feeling I may get roasted for this, but I noticed that the 20 pin connector I have on the 550w PSU simply fits in the 14 pin port on the mobo. There are 6 pins left sticking out but it fit quite easily in the slot without having to force it. I'll supply a pic w this post. Is there any chance at all that this will work? Please note my CPU is off, everything is unplugged from the wall and it's fully discharged.

There's a thread here with someone upgrading the graphics card on the same model Lenova (H50-55). They went with this adapter from Amazon and reported that it worked for them.

Absolutely *DO NOT* try the standard ATX adapter on the Lenovo board without an adapter - because the pin-out is switched around you'll very likely fry the board. In the adapter photo, you can see how the wires trace to very different locations rather than just having additional pins. I'm actually a bit pissed they didn't design their 14-pin adapter so it's not possible to plug a 20-pin adapter into it. It is okay to use the 20-pin PSU cable with the 24-pin adapter - there's only one way to plug it in and pin-outs are equivalent.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have a couple family members saying they'll pitch in about $160 for my computer.

I noticed used GTX 960s and 970s going for about that range, 960s generally a little less and 970s a little more. 970s Buy It Now are low $200s. Is that worth it?

Somebody elsewhere said if I get one of them to just forego the Vega because either card would do okay for now and I should just wait for Navi.

What do you al think?

edit:

R9 390s generally sell for a little more than 970s used on ebay from what I see, although not too much more i guess.

If you're looking at used cards, I'd consider getting a 1060 3gb over a 970. It's a newer and slightly faster card with better power management and potentially warranty (from some manufacturers) in exchange for 500Mb of VRAM. They're currently going for $150 - 200 on auction (just use "ending soonest" to find one's close to finishing), and if you can find a good deal on a MSI, EVGA, or Gigabyte card, they should still have 1.5-3 years of warranty left. The transferable warranty for those manufacturers and is 3 years from the date of manufacture, which is the first 4 digits in the S/N, if that's visible in photos.

E: ASUS does not have transferable warranty!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 24, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

crime weed posted:

So I built a computer, tried to boot it up. Cpu/case/video card fans run, motherboard glows, hard drives make noise, but:

No video output, the fancy LEDs on my mouse + keyboard don't turn on. It'll keep running, but just, no output, and I can't tell if it's detecting my USB devices.

So what are the possibilities here? The video card is old, and truthfully, I haven't used it in maybe half a year, so I guess it might just be busted. Any other possibilities?

(It's an AMD build w/ a Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3 motherboard and a Sapphire 270, 650W Power Supply. I checked that all the cables were secure and that the monitor itself worked ahead of time.)

If you haven't tried it yet, cycle through the inputs on the monitor just to make sure it's not on the wrong input. Do you hear a POST beep when you start it up? You might also want to check your motherboard manual to see if there are any error leds that could help with trouble shooting.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I hope this hasn't been discussed in the last few pages, but I'm thinking about putting together an HTPC/console emulation machine for my living room.

I'm not planning to emulate anything more advanced than N64 or PS1, and most of the stuff I'm interested is older stuff (SNES, NES, Pre-dreamcast sega systems, etc). My TV's only 32-inch so I don't need much in the way of resolution, 720p for the OS and streaming and whatever the max system settings of the emulated systems is (640x480 or something is probably as high as it needs to go for gaming).

I'm guessing that the most hardware intensive task is probably going to be playing netflix videos.

Ideally I'd like the price to be around $300; that's a pretty hard cap because I don't want to overspend compared to my fairly crappy TV and stereo.

My questions are thus:
Can I get away with Linux? I've heard that Netflix is compatible with firefox on linux now so that's $100 for an OEM windows license shaved off the cost.
Since my gaming needs are kinda primitive, can I use a platter instead of an SSD? I grew up on long load times and they don't bother me as long as they're shorter than say a minute and a half.
Can I get away with onboard video or should I pick up a low-end card too?

How does this list look: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKCmkd ?

Any tips on how to wring a little more performance out of this thing or drop the price would be welcome.

For $200-$300 an NVidia shield tv will do streaming up to 4k (media, plus pc games if you have a gaming pc with an nvidia card) and can run emulators up through Dreamcast, all without the hassle of putting it together yourself.

The $200 version (Amazon) has 16GB of internal storage, but you can attach a usb hard or flash drive for more space. Apparently some users had issues with the Retroarch emulator and external drives, but it sounds like those were fixed with an update.

The $300 shield tv pro (Amazon) has an internal 500gb SSHD, a microSD slot, and a slightly nicer remote. Here's a list of differences if you want to decide if the upgrade is worth $100.

I haven't personally used a shield tv, so maybe someone with experience could chime in. Going by posted videos, emulation looks solid.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lackmaster posted:

How does PNY graphics card warranty compare to EVGA? I got a 1060 6 GB from both and I’m leaning towards the EVGA because I’ve heard better things anecdotally.

Got both used on eBay for about 275. EVGA comes with a box while the PNY does not. Does anyone know if either companies uphold warranties even after 3rd party sales?

E: (In the US)

EVGA has a transferable warranty in the form of a three-year warranty from manufacture date (which is listed in the first four digits of the serial number). MSI and Gigabyte also offer 3-year warranties based on S/N. Buying new and registering gets you some extra perks, like a warranty based off purchase date (rather than manufacture), and in the case of EVGA, advanced RMA, purchasable extended warranties, and a 90-day step-up program where you can apply the purchase value of your card to trade in for a newer card.

Other card manufacturers do not have transferable warranties, and PNY specifically has recently added the bonus goodie of voiding your warranty for mining/datacenter use. Of course, how would they know? Are they just going to fight RMAs with accusations of mining? Who knows, but it's probably best to steer clear.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? ~1500
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920x1080

I'm due for a system rebuild, anyone able to give my parts list a once over? Not planning to do any overclocking, and it's my second ITX build, so I'm comfortable wrestling cables around inside a matchbox.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($237.59 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks - PH-TC90LS 28.7 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370N WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($152.40 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB AORUS Video Card ($579.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix - Prodigy (Blue) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1569.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-24 19:58 EDT-0400

For gaming at 1080p, if you're not overclocking the 8600k it's something like a 0-10% performance boost over 8400 for an extra $85 (the 8400's stock cooler is sufficient). It's a pretty marginal boost, but it is a boost (and offers the option of overclocking), so you might decide it's worth it.

You might want to consider an EVGA 1070 ti black instead of the Gigabyte. It's currently $510 from the EVGA website, short enough that you might not have to remove a hard drive bracket, and will get you access to the 90-day Step Up program (just in case 11x/20x happen to come soon).

Consider getting the Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 550W. It's a newer design than the Corsair and is currently $55 after rebate.

E: Apparently the BitFenix Prodigy has a pretty cramped PSU enclosure, so going with the Seasonic will also give you more clearance (it's 14cm vs. Corsair's 16cm). The Corsair will fit, but only just barely.

E2: Speaking of space, the Prodigy has sufficient clearance for basically any CPU cooler. Don't feel like you need to go low profile.

Don't buy Windows 10, buy a Windows 7 key and upgrade to 10 for free. BrownThunder is totally legit and currently selling keys for $25 over in SA-Mart (you could probably go even cheaper if you hunt around a bit).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 25, 2018