Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I hit a problem with my new build, so I think I'm going to have to bounce some ideas off of here :(

I installed and plugged everything in and while it turns on I can't get video out of it and/or any indication it's actually booting. When I turn it on, the fans spin up including the CPU fan but that's about all it does. It doesn't beep, but the power LED does blink periodically, e.g. solid on except a blink about every 2 seconds. The drive LED doesn't do anything (not entirely unexpected - it is blank). Happens with either the onboard HDMI or DVI ports. Looking around with some searches I can't find anything that suggests what this means and ASRock's support hasn't gotten back to me yet. They have a "dr debug" decoder but I think it only gives you those codes once it's booted?

Got an i5-6600, asrock H170M ITX/ac, GSkill DDR4 2133 and EVGA 650GS.

AFAICT all the power cables are securely in. I've done everything possible with the memory - swap both sticks, use either stick only, and no sticks.

Anything I might have missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

If I have this motherboard:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H170M-ITXac/?cat=Specifications

This is the right card for that slot, right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106240&cm_re=intel_wireless_card-_-33-106-240-_-Product

The wifi that came with the motherboard is some awful realtek thing. Gets 12 mbps where wired and my apple stuff get 110-120 Mbps. I'm guessing it's only picking up single stream 2.4ghz or something bad.

edit: also soliciting other wifi card recommendations if anyone has any.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 18, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I'm repurposing my old gaming PC as a TV-bound one, and I'd like to get an SSD for it. What's a good budget SSD? Are the toshiba OCZ or sandisk X400 drives ok, or should I just say gently caress it and get a samsung? I already have a 500GB samsung on my main rig so I don't need top notch quality here.