Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

FilthyImp posted:

Gaming above 1080p seems like a fool's errand in my experience (though I'm doing it on a laptop).

Looking at a new build sometime in Q3 of this year. Is this just a function of video cards required to game at 1440p being cost prohibitive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
What country are you in? Canada

What are you using the system for? Gaming and sometimes some light video editing for youtube. Super minor stuff though.

What's your budget? Up to 1500 Canadian before a monitor

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Looking to get a new monitor at 1440p with max or near max options and can push minimum 60+ FPS on current and upcoming titles like Cyberpunk (main target game).

----------------------------

I will be finally abandoning my 1080p, slightly OC'd 2500k and GTX 970 setup that I have been running at for god knows how long now. I am still in the self-education process and right now I am targetting:

-Ryzen 3600 (Youtube and friends say the "X" model does next to nothing for gaming)
-5700XT with a non-reference cooler design

My understanding is that a build revolving around those two key parts will do the job for me? Is there anyone here who thinks there is merit in "future-proofing" with something like a 3700X? Pretty sure from all the googling and youtubing I have done that while Intel is still better in gaming there no logical reason to buy for a small gain? I also really don't want to pay their Intel premium right now which is significant in Canada.

Right now I am struggling to understand my motherboard options. There are so many. Are there brands/manufacturers significantly better than others? Is there a good site for reviews that specialize in motherboards? I am also kind of worried about this "flashing the bios" thing with AMD. Motherboards seem to have the least amount of coverage for them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Scruff McGruff posted:

IIRC Buildzoid's video doing an overview of boards to use with Zen2 had him giving a basic rule of "for X450 go with MSI, for X570 go with Asus or Gigabyte, for X470 just go wtih B450" but I might be misremembering.

I did like his X570 overview where he was basically shaking his head at all the board manufacturers competing against themselves, specifically ASUS with the $200 X570 TUF basically making a number of their $250 boards obsolete.

I incidentally watched that video from beginning to end just yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyuS04lD4o

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Gamer nexus videos seem to indicate that the driver issues are mainly with overclocking and adjusting peripheral things like fans and temps. Normal in game use for the average Joe appears to be fine

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
You can shave off 50 bucks by getting a budget motherboard I think.

1080p vs 1440p seems fairly important to nail down. That is an entire tier of graphics card required and can swing the budget by 100 dollars

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Stickman posted:

I've been using a wired Logitech G500 for almost ten years, and it's successor the G502 is supposedly just as good (so long as you don't mind the GAMER look). The G602 is a good option if you prefer wireless, and is pretty cheap right now because it's successor (the G604) just launched. There's also a Mouse thread if you want more specific recommendations!

Can vouche for the G502. Been 6 years or so. Never an issue. Very customizable

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Khorne posted:

Linux: AMD extremely good. They open sourced their drivers and the community ate it up.

Windows: AMD good for modern games. Some performance lost on games that only use older APIs. No compute issues I know of.

Their drivers are fine for windows these days. At least, fine enough that you shouldn't ignore a card that has nothing from nvidia in its price:perf range. And the 580/590 have been around long enough that you don't have to deal with AMD launch drivers which are an entirely different topic.

I recently upgraded to a 5700xt and there are some DX9 issues. Nothing stopping games from running as far as I know but there is some texture corruption issues cropping up there. I play a wargame that uses DX9 API and the textures on hills are screwed up right now making it look like running water for some reason. Almost certainly a driver issue with AMD.

Speaking of selecting video cards, this guy just built a new card ranking chart that made a lot of sense to me. It lets you quickly find out how prospective GPUs rank among its competitors and provides a rough grading on performance at relevant screen resolutions for that GPU.

https://www.mooreslawisdead.com/gpu-ranking

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Khorne posted:

Yeah, definitely. AMD has issues with older APIs. Have you tried one of the DX9 wrappers or drop-ins? Something like dgvoodoo2 can help in some games. I don't know about your particular game and anti-cheat compatibility, though.

D3d9 is old enough that nvidia has some problems, too. Win10 itself introduces a lot of issues for d3d9 games. Especially in games that aren't actively maintained.

Negative, will read up on it and try it out though. Thanks!

edit: Worked like a charm! Thanks!

MikeC fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 26, 2019

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Speaking of noise, what is a good recommendation for a nice quiet PSU that won't break the bank?

Target system will either be a 2600x or 3600 with a B450 pro carbon and an RX 5700xt. I am assume pulling my old UFC 750watt psu from myn2500k build 7.5 years ago is not recommended?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
If you are willing to cut down costs elsewhere you can upgrade to a AMD RX 5700 non reference design which is much better than a 1660Ti. The 5700 can power any game at 1080p and do very well at 1440p if you are planning on upgrading that monitor. I am in the middle of upgrading from a very similar place you were at though I had an i5 2500k and a GTX 970 but I also went with a 1440p monitor so anything less than a RTX 2060 was a non starter for me.

Here is something close matching what I am in the process of acquiring (I already got the 1440p monitor and dropped a 5700xt into the machine as a stop gap until black friday). Same budget but it can pump out more pixels and comfortably run 1440p high settings right now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.00 @ Umart)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($607.20 @ Newegg Australia)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($96.90 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $1555.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-28 10:26 AEST+1000

The case is well-reviewed by Gamer Nexus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfXQQZtD_SI

and the Intel SSD is a slower drive but for gaming and every day use this guy suggests that if you can save money by getting the Intel SSD, then do it since you won't notice any difference at all gaming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM4P4RrExJ0

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Black Griffon posted:

So anyway, the motherboard got delayed until the 11th of October, so now I'm sitting here thinking, and I'm thinking you people can stop me from thinking too much:
What's the practical difference between the Ryzen 2600 and the 3600? The 3600 is not that more expensive, I can afford it if I want to, but I'm not overclocking and I'm not considering 4k, so it's kinda pointless, right?

Right?

Depends if you are GPU bound I guess. CPU matters less in general, the higher your resolution you go, since it is more likely that the GPU will be the limiting factor.

Even a very good mid range card like a 5700xt or 2070 Super at 1440p will frequently be the limiting factor. 1% and 0.1% FPS lows will be a bit better (5 or 10%) on a 3600 on most games from all the benchmarks I have seen.

The cases where a system is CPU bound seems to come from the esport guys who run 1080p at 240Hz where the GPU is the one waiting on the CPU to send data.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Black Griffon posted:

I've got a 1070 (MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor OC), which while good, is a couple of years old at this point, so I'm guessing the GPU will be the limiting factor in this case. Also I don't know what my monitor even is but I'm gonna assume it can't do poo poo. Seems a 3600 might be over the top.

Which way you lean on will depend largely on how much money, and how soon you may or may not spend on new equipment. It will depend on what settings you want in your games and what kind of games you are going to play. Below I have linked 3 benchmark style videos from random youtubers but all of them really boil down to the same thing. The 3600 is a bit better than the 2600 in gaming when dealing with CPU heavy loads and when the GPU isn't capped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUjcw-tk7-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1IRynQcLkM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f93vouHH_kg

Let us say you do not intend to upgrade anything else for the foreseeable future (ie current tech). Right now you have a 1080p monitor that is at a low refresh rate. Unless CPU bound, it is likely your 1070 is already able to push out the 75 fps that your 1080p monitor can handle. The 2600 vs 3600 argument is irrelevant at this point. Neither will bottleneck you unless you are playing City Skylines or some other CPU intensive game. The 3600 might age a bit better but probably only slightly. Save your money.

Let us say you intend to stay at 1080p but want to get into super-high refresh rate gaming by buying a shiny 144 or 240 Hz TN monitor and will be looking at a GPU upgrade like a RTX 2060 Super or an RX 5700(XT) in the near future to power it. Ok, in this case, the 3600 might makes sense given the extra money since it can potentially put out 10-20% more frames in that kind of circumstance according to people who have benchmarked these things.

Lets say you will be upgrading to 1440 or 2160p high refresh gaming monitor and will buy a midrange card like the 5700XT or the 2070 Super in the near term. The GPU will be the main limiter here and it probably doesn't make sense to pay extra for a 3600. If in the same scenario you intend to massively overpay to buy a 2080ti then the 3600 once again makes sense so that you can hit 144Hz or 165Hz. Or maybe you don't really care about a dozen or so FPS in which case you should once again save your money.

There are so many moving parts and considerations to make when asking whether one component over another component makes sense or not. The biggest one of all is *what you want*. The good thing here is that it is not like you can make a terrible decision either way. I am sure the price difference won't break your bank as you stated yourself earlier. The worst case scenario is you flush away ~60-100 USD value of currency and put yourself in a position where the 3600 won't help you. I am sure we have all wasted that amount of money on something even more trivial at some point in our lives.

bewbies posted:

So I think I'm landed on a combination of the 3600 and the 5700XT as my upgrade. What's the go-to motherboard for the 3600? I don't need it to do anything the least bit fancy and I have a big rear end case, so generally prefer to use bigger boards.

Also, this is my current RAM:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232298?Item=N82E16820232298

Do I need to get new RAM, or more RAM, or can I just do a straight swap with this stuff?

This guy who is some sort of overclocking expert published an extensive review of all sensible AM4 socket options on Gamer Nexus's channel. It is a 30 min deep dive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyuS04lD4o&t=579s

Hardware Unboxed also has reviews going back a full year on B450, X470, and X570 motherboards.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 5, 2019

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Stickman posted:

Just looking a Canukland prices

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

huhwhat posted:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 is to deal with games like AC Odyssey which seems to be murdering my laptop CPU. Also I keep a browser open and watch YouTube and look up guides while gaming.
This is the first time I'm building a PC in like a decade so tell me what tools I need. I have a small screwdriver set https://ebay.us/lM0Ypt . Do I need to get some zip ties for cable management?

Besides what Stickman has pointed out if you want to consider shaving off more dollars, MemoryExpress has Ryzen 2600 going for $164. They are also offering a R5 3600 + Asus TUF B450 Mobo combo for 369.99. Unsure if they pre-flash the Mobo with the new bios though.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
No, offense taken, I am just angry we pay an absurb premium on tech gear up in Canukistan.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Pretty sure you need both power connections bud.

Edit. To be clear I recall reading several posts elsewhere where people suffered instability with this board with just the 8 pin and ryzen 3000.

Also could be a bios issue where they didn't flash the B450 board with the Ryzen 3000 compatible bios?

Edit2. Good to hear!

MikeC fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 5, 2019

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Black Griffon posted:

Is that a problem specific to a B450 and the 3600, to your chosen motherboard and a 3600, or something I need to worry about with a B450 and the 2600?

The only boards that do not require a BIOS update out of the box for Ryzen 3XXX are X570 boards. There are some boards that are supposedly pre-flashed with the new bios. I am told most stores typically will do the BIOS update for you if you buy it from them. Otherwise your motherboard will need to have a feature that allows you to update the bios without a CPU installed. The entire MSI lineup for the B450 chipset has this feature to my knowledge.

Ryzen 2XXX chips should work out of the box with any B450 board with or without a BIOS update.

edit: AMD has a loaner program that lends you a CPU and cooler so that you can install it on your B450 board, use it to run the BIOS update, and then send it back to them

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

edit: We desperately need a new OP.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 6, 2019

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

surf rock posted:

I have no idea how people do cable management. I just tried to zip tie stuff together as much as possible. I'm a little worried that some of the cables in the upper-left are so close to the CPU cooler heatsink. There's about a quarter-inch gap between them... If they touch in the future, will it catch fire or something?

I'm not even going to bother trying it tonight to see if this fucker works. Eight hours later (I imagine people who aren't first-time builders can do it... much faster), I'm tired and need to make dinner.

If you want to be a neat freak, there are sections cut out of your case where there is rubber flaps that allow you to insert cables behind the motherboard tray and rout them between it and the opposite panel. Most cases will have some clearance for it without making the panel bulge out and yours might even have a dedicated channel. If you don't have Zip ties, I found sturdy dental floss works just as well.

huhwhat posted:

I might've been a mite hyperbolic about the situation but I still think potential buyers of Ryzen 3000 series + B450 motherboard combo should factor in the cost of flashing the mobo when making their purchasing decision, especially if they're not in the US.

:canada:-specific experience
There's a bunch of threads on redflagdeals.com about the BIOS flash issue, this one's pretty representative re: solutions if you don't happen to have an older Ryzen lying around or know someone who has one https://forums.redflagdeals.com/resolved-older-am4-processor-needed-upgrade-bios-2180543/

1. Get a local service shop to flash the BIOS. If you've bought the motherboard and the processor from them (not one or the other), they're likely to do it for free, but one user was reporting that Canada Computers still charged them $20. Some people have reported prices as outrageous as $40 (did not buy mobo+processor from Canada Computers) and $70. Where I'm at, some guy was asking $20 if you showed up at his house with your mobo and one shop quoted $25.
2. Get AMD to send you a 200GE. You might think that this is a cost-effective option, but it's not if you're outside the US. Return shipping is not paid for by AMD and someone who tried this route reported that it cost $20 to ship the processor back. Also AMD will try to get you to exhaust all other options first (e.g., contacting your motherboard's manufacturer) before they'd agree to ship you the processor.
3. Get a cheap AM4 processor to flash the mobo and hope you can resell it later. A 200GE shipped from China costs about $50-$60 total.

I went into Memory Express (Hamilton ON) and Canada Computers (Burlington ON) today to pick up some on sale stuff and spoke to staff at each location. Memory Express states that they are willing to do it for free if you buy the board and CPU from them. Now that staff member didn't seem the most knowledgable around so I am going to contact head office to get a second answer. Canada Computers *does* charge money. I was told that before it was a free-for-all depending on which store you were at but their head office has since set a company-wide price of $25 or $30 dollars. He wasn't sure since the service guy wasn't in on Sundays but he assures me it is no more than 30 bucks because they used to charge 50 before head office told them to be reasonable and set a standard rate.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

VelociBacon posted:

Canada Computers and Memory Express are both pieces of poo poo and sorry substitutes for our REAL dad, NCIX. You know NCIX would be doing this for free.

e: wait maybe they should have charged for this stuff

NEVER FORGET :canada:

Mu Zeta posted:

$30 for a bios update is crazy. You're within spitting distance of an X570 at that point anyway.

Welcome to Canada. I'll report back on what Memory Express's policy is from Head Office once they get back to me. Sadly there are no other retailers. Until Memory Express came to Hamilton, Canada Computers essentially had monopolized the market in Central Canada.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
For folks up in Canada. Memory Express Head office has confirmed to me that as long as the CPU and motherboard is purchased through them, they will update the BIOS on non Ryzen 3000 boards free of charge.

If the combo is not purchased through them, they will charge at their typical 50 dollars an hour rate at their standard tech and troubleshooting rate.

So if you live in the west end of the GTA, Niagara or Guelph area, it might be worthwhile to patron ME and give the fuckers at CC the middle finger as we now have actual local competition.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Recent news indicates that Zen 3 not will ship with DDR5 support or 4 threads per core so most tech tubers say it is now very unlikely they will abandon AM4 for Zen 3 next year. With those upgrades being pushed back to Zen 4 in 2021, they say it makes a lot more sense for them to change sockets at that point and not before. Nothing official mind you, just people reading tea leaves from leaked slides and such. But most of them went from Zen 3 probably being on AM4 to it would be kind of dumb to abandon AM4 next year if we aren't getting DDR 5 or SMT4.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I think you need to think of the monitor as the focal point of your decision making process. If you are happy with 1080p at 60 Hz, there is very little to be done except moving into a more spacious case and adding an optical drive if that is your thing as others have said.

If you had a high refresh rate monitor, it would be worthwhile talking about GPUs since upgrading from 60Hz is a real benefit even at 1080p. But the monitor is your primary bottleneck for improvement and any sensible upgrade at this point will necessitate changing both the GPU and monitor out together. It makes little sense buying a GPU that can potentially service a high refresh rate monitor at 1080p or 60+ fps in a 1440p or 2160p environment if you aren't immediately seeing benefits. Better to save money and upgrade both simultaneously and enjoy cheaper prices or increased performance down the road.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Racing Stripe posted:

All right, this kind of analysis is very helpful. If I start looking for a 120hz monitor and upgrade to something like the 1660 Ti, do I have to worry about somehow matching the monitor's refresh rate to the FPS the GPU can spit out? Like, is that somewhere in the tech specs of the GPU that I'll have to make sure matches up with my monitor?

In addition to what has already been said, in my opinion there are 3 routes you can take right now in terms of upgrading your monitor and you should think carefully about your options. I stress that because many times people get caught up in what is in their case when in reality, you interface with the games you play via your main display. The job of what is in your case is simply to power the display to provide an enjoyable experience. Monitors are also pricey and stick with you for potentially multiple generations of GPUs so it is important to decide wisely and not gently caress yourself down the road. I recently upgraded from1080p @ 60Hz myself recently and after an exhaustive process settled on 90-100 FPS 1440p gaming and got the gear for it. I feel your 4 main routes that make sense today and in the near future are as follows.

1. Save your money and stick with what is essentially entry-level gaming at 1080p 60Hz. There is never anything wrong with not spending money in my opinion. I differ from Stickman here in that I feel that any upgrade in GPU at this level is not a good value proposition. Keep in mind that what is good value is subjective. He is 100% correct in that 3GB VRAM is loving you over performance-wise with the card not being able to stash all the textures on board and it will likely cause skipped frames or ugly texture transitions and pop-ins at bad times. However, turning down texture quality might be a way of keeping VRAM issues under control. In my opinion, 1080p is not a detailed enough resolution to warrant ultra textures anyways. You could scale down VRAM hungry features to try and keep this issue in check or just live with the problems if you aren't into high paced twitch gaming. I just personally feel sinking money into another 1080p GPU just for 4GB of RAM is bad value. Especially if this is just a stopgap measure for about 12 to 18 months until you contemplate a bigger change. If you are going to stay at 1080p 60Hz for the foreseeable future then the argument becomes more compelling. Maybe you can find something on the used market?

All other options start to eat up money at a rapid pace

2. Look for a 144/240 Hz monitor at 1080p and upgrade to a GPU that can power 1080p very well at that level. At this point in time, there is no reason not to get an adaptive sync monitor. This technology feels miles better than V-sync triple buffering to my eyes. Getting rid of annoying stuttering that Vsync has a habit of doing did wonders for my gaming experience. The higher the refresh rate you can push on your screen, the less motion blurring you are going to experience assuming your panel's pixels can support such high refresh rates. You will want to pair such a monitor up with a better GPU than a 1660Ti imo though. Something like a Vega 56/64, GTX 1080, or even a 2060 Super to push 120+ FPS and beyond on this high refresh rate monitor. This is a good option if you are a twitch FPS gamer and need to push a ton of FPS which actually makes you perform better at such games. This is less attractive for a strategy gamer or someone who plays single-player games like Tomb Raider or Ubisoft open worlders where a larger screen at higher pixel count in the 60-90 FPS range produces a more cinematic feel.

3. Look for a 144 Hz 1440p monitor and a GPU that can power it at around 60-144 FPS. This is considered the PC gaming "sweet spot" in that you get the 'greater than 60 FPS and adaptive sync experience' with the pixel density to properly support 27 - 32 inches of screen real estate. Personally coming from 24 inches of 1080p gaming for close to a decade, my new 32-inch monitor blows my mind. Good monitors for this option are pricey. I went for a more budget option in an LG VA panel rather than a more expensive IPS panels but I can live with it since my twitch gaming days are over. Consult the excellent goons in the monitor thread for more info on the drawbacks and benefits of each. You should target no less than a 2060 Super at the very least for this kind gaming. I personally got a 5700xt to do the job and there is an argument to be made for something as good as a 2080 to properly power this machine. You are rapidly coming the exponential price to performance part of the GPU curve at this point though.

4. Look for a good 2160p monitor and understand there is no cost-effective way to really power this monitor past 60-80 fps. This is RTX 2080 Ti territory now with no AMD competitor in sight. You could skimp and get a 5700xt or 2070 Super to power this but it is going to be at 60 FPS probably sacrificing some options while you are at it. But you are a big boy now with a 4k monitor (why is it called 4k anyways when it is 2160p?). Obviously you are in the top hat and monocle territory now.

Good luck on deciding, I know it took me a long time to figure out what I really wanted. If you are prepared to drop a wad of cash, try to find stores or places that have high-end monitors on display and check them out in person and experience it first hand. This is such a subjective topic it is very difficult to really tell people how they should spend their money, and it is a significant sum that you will be spending on if you choose to get a new monitor. But once you decide, goons like Stickman will have no problem helping you pick out the right parts for a build to match it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

FastestGunAlive posted:

Cheers. I’ll check that thread and do some research as I decide between 1080 or 1440. I figure 4K isn’t a must with this build

1440p will likely strain your budget friend. The cheapest GPU that can be safely recommended for 1440p @ 60+Hz is an RX 5700 (/XT) or an RTX 2060 super. You can try the sandwich tier which is around the Vega 56/64, GTX 1070ti, GTX 1080 but you will have to drop settings if you care about consistent FPS. A 1660Ti is a little thin IMO for 1440p, especially at 6GB.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Two schools of thought exist here. Most say that a 3700x is a waste of money given that almost nothing uses 16 threads on gaming so the price premium over a 3600 is not a good value.

Another school of thought says with cross platform development and both major consoles launching next year with 8 core 16 thread CPUs, that 6 core processors will get left in no mans land and you will potentially take performance hits. Documents have been released to developers showing methods taking advantage of extra cores.

As Stickman always points out, AM4 has easy drop in upgrades and it is almost certain that Zen3 (Ryzen 4000) will still be on AM4.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Bank posted:

I see a few folks opting for 3600/3700X for games when 2600/2700 seems to be fine..why? Is it just in case or is there a legit reason to have a faster CPU, assuming you're Joe Schmo consumer?

1% and 0.1% lows on Zen+ are noticeably worse than on the Zen2 unless fully GPU bound in 4k. Faster clocks, ram, and IPC gains on 3600 mostly wipe out the Zen+ 8 core advantage unless fully saturating all 16 threads in some apps. Check benchmarks for your use case.

Zen+ is still a good value proposition at the right price point. Ex Ryzen 2600 is 165 dollars in Canada right now vs 265 for the 3600. A 2700 is at 220 vs 430 for a 3700x

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

huhwhat posted:

Anyone reading this thread considering a Ryzen 5 3000 series + B450 motherboard (from any maker) build, do reconsider, even if you're not on ITX. Get an X570 motherboard or maybe an Intel system.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cfxeq7/stop_recommending_msi_b450_motherboards_for_ryzen/ As mentioned in the Reddit thread, it could be a case of selection bias, but it still seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting their system to boot. Now that my attention has shifted from the PSU to the motherboard as the reason for my system not booting, I'm tripping over all sorts of reports on compatibility issues. It could be the wrong RAM (case 1, case 2). You could've successfully flashed the BIOS to recognize newer 3rd gen Ryzen and there's a chance it still won't reliably boot afterwards.

You are absolutely correct in that there are some people having problems. However, the majority of people are booting up their A320, B350, B450, X470 boards with Ryzen 3000 series just fine. You will find techtubers of all sorts doing stuff like trying out R9 3900x on an A320 board for example. A while back, Paul's Hardware did an extensive test where he flashed the bios on a whole pile of non-X570 boards and got the Ryzen 3000 series to work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHdeyAuQCtM. RAM issues include sticks that are not on the QVL of a motherboard and not booting the first few times before the board defaults to 2133 Mhz with absurd timings and you have to manually go into BIOS and enter the timings to get your rated speed back up. I think one thing we should do more is to encourage people to get to RAM that is on a motherboard's QVL for a Ryzen system.

Your point is well taken though, AMD is still somewhat of the wild west of computing and doing the stuff to make it work properly doesn't bother the enthusiasts. Techdeals on Youtube had a video recently where he made the point that while he loved the value proposition on AMD, he had to constantly update BIOS as AMD continues to iron out bugs in their hardware and software especially in the early days of Zen and Zen+. We recently saw a BIOS update required to get Ryzen 3000 chips to boost properly at their rated speeds even though they were only short 50 MHz in some cases. Meanwhile, Intel very much has an "it just works" appeal though the price premium for equivalent performance is brutal.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

huhwhat posted:

Good to know it's not an isolated incident! I felt like a complete fool.

Good to hear everything is up and running. You did bring up a good point. Not everyone lives in tweaker's paradise and there is a benefit of 'it just works' for the average user that we should keep in mind when discussion of what is or is not good value happens.

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

So it's still rebooting randomly without errors...

I disabled automatic restarts. Now when it dies, it stays dead instead of rebooting. I ran a few memory diagnostic checks and they all came back fine. All my temps are good (40s/50s celcius when idling for CPU and GPU). Nothing is overclocked. I disconnected my restart switch. While I had the case open to disconnect the restart switch, I made sure everything was seated properly.

Anyone have any ideas before I buy an new PSU?

It kind of sounds like a RAM problem some other Ryzen users have had from what I have read online. Is your RAM on the motherboard's QVL list? If not, go into the BIOS and see if XMP is on. If it is turn it off and see if you have problems at 2133 MHZ. If you do not have problems at 2133 then you know its an XMP issue with your board not liking your RAM. Your only recourse at this point is to learn how Ryzen DRAM calculator works, get it to spit out the right timings and then go back into BIOS and manually enter the whole thing. Fun times.

Or it could be a PSU issue. But try this first.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 19, 2019

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

The second and fourth furthest away from the CPU (A2 and B2), which is what the mobo guide recommends.

I think I might have an idea...
Edit: Never mind, just rebooted itself again.

So my To Do list for tomorrow: Check each memory stick individually. If that doesn't help, remove all components and reinstall. If that doesn't help, order new PSU. Does this sound about right? Any other suggested steps?

Only thing I can suggest is to check to see if you have the latest BIOS running.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Edit 2: I did figure out how to change the DRAM voltage and I've changed it to 1.35v. Now I'm just letting it idle for a couple of hours to see if that does the trick.

Please do report back if you got it working with details on exactly what you did so we have a better idea of how to help fix issues in the future.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh. Well, awesome.

I may end up getting a couple of sticks if a friend of mine travels to the states since that's the only thing I'm missing to be able to put together a full rig with my leftover parts, but it's good to know I don't need to.

Thanks!

If you are chasing frames in games and or in some real work use cases, upgrading to fast ram like 3600 cl16 or better can eke out performance gains. High speed low timing ram tends to get pricey real fast though.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

I could put a GTX 970 in there and give that a test. All my other "spare" hardware isn't compatible. I ran a GPU stress test on the RTX 2070 though and got it up to 70C and everything was still stable. It doesn't typically get warmer than 50C, though. The crashes don't seem to have anything to do with anything GPU-intensive. I've done some VR stuff with it and it's been fine, only to crash an hour later while web browsing. (Also, I haven't reinstalled the Oculus software or hardware since I did a wipe, so I know none of that's responsible for the issue.)

At any rate, I guess it's worth a shot to swap out the GPU if for no other reason than to tell the computer tech that it's already been ruled out.

I have been doing some reading here and there since you posted about this issue and it appears to be a Windows thing that certain people seem to get dicked over with. I have not found any kind of fix so far. Try this for now. Check your BIOS and turn off Core Performance Boost. Tell Windows not to restart upon BSOD by running SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe and going to startup and recovery. Uncheck the automatic restart option so you can see the bluescreen. See if this helps or if it does crash, at least you see the bluescreen

edit: What have you installed in terms of monitoring programs, motherboard manufacturer software etc? Do indeed do a test with your system sitting in BIOS. If it doesn't crash, you might have to strip your Windows of any and all software and slowly build it back up to try and find out who the culprit is. Increasingly doubtful that you have defective hardware. Good luck, sorry to hear about these problems.

edit2: You know what before I tell you it ain't the RAM, lets make sure. https://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm#boot

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 23, 2019

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Random Reboot Progress Update

Does the fact that it seems to runs stable in BIOS and safe mode make it more likely that it's some weird Windows/driver glitch and not hardware related?

Very likely imo since BIOS and Safe Mode seem to work fine from what you say. Have you turned off Core Boost yet? We might want to make sure that your CPU isn't boosting itself and causing an error at certain cases. If it runs stable without Core Boost then we can move forward.

Also there is one guy that has said that uninstalling 3rd party monitoring programs fixed it for him. Try stripping windows to the bones with no monitoring.

Keep at it. 😁

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

RE: random reboots

So I disabled Core Boost and still got reboots. Grasping at straws, I wiped my drive and installed Win10 home (previously was using Win10 pro) in hopes that if it was some weird Windows issue, the slightly different version might help, but it didn't. I did a little digging on the "Page Fault in Non_Paged Area" error I got and have run some diagnostics recommended for that error, but everything came back clean. The last thing I tried was disabling "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" and I'm currently running about an hour so far without any issues, but like I've said, it can go as long as 2-3 hours between reboots.

If this doesn't work, the next thing I'm going to try is to put the PSU and GPU into my old PC and see what happens. They're the only parts compatible with my old mobo. If it works, it's enough of an upgrade that I'll be fine for another year or so and then I'll just buy a prefab gaming PC like a normie. If it doesn't work, then I guess it's a pretty good indicator that it's the PSU (since I had previously tried my old 970 on my new computer), and I guess I can then try buying a new PSU for my new computer and see if that does the trick.

People who are reading this thread thinking about building a computer for the first time: Saving a couple hundred bucks is not worth the potential headache.

Sorry to hear that. Between myself and family members, we have built systems from mid-high end to cheapies and we have never come across anything as nasty as what you have going on. All I can say is that it feels strongly like a software/driver issue since you are fine in Safe mode and BIOS. Good luck :(

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, this is probably a dumb question but I don't want to make a mistake with expensive stuff.

I'm currently using a "ASRock H97 Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard" motherboard with "HyperX Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model HX316C9SRK2/16" RAM.

I was hoping to upgrade this a bit but I'm not really sure what the best choice for an upgrade is in terms of quality and cost effectiveness.

Hi friend, several questions!

I assume you have dropped the 2060 Super into your rig already? Are you unhappy with the performance in some way? If not, carry on and save your money!

Let's say you are unhappy with something or you cannot play/do something you want to do on your current system, please let us know what you want the upgrade to achieve. Include the following information.

What kind of monitor do you have currently? Can you give us information on the size in pixels and inches (ie 1080p @ 27 inches) and how many hertz it is rated at? If you don't know, just find the make and model number so we can find out for you.
What exactly is your CPU? That motherboard supports several types of CPUs and it would help to know what exactly you have
If you do want to spend money then how much do you want to spend and how frequently do you like to spend money on computer bits and in what increments?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Final (?) update to my random reboot saga:

I threw in the towel and took the RTX 2070 Super and Corsair 650W PSU and threw them into my old i7-4790 rig to replace a GTX 970 and no-name ticking time bomb PSU. It's been stable for about six hours now and I've been playing the new Modern Warfare and Vader Immortal VR and it's doing well enough with both.

Anyone want to buy a potentially haunted CPU/mobo/RAM/SSD/case combo?

If you live in the Greater Toronto Area within reasonable reach from where I live, I wouldn't mind spending a Sunday messing around with gear to try and find out what is going on.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

i am kiss u now posted:

Finally looking to upgrade from my workhorse i5 2500k and I think I'm going to switch back to AMD. I really only need to upgrade the CPU, MOBO, RAM and cooler and after doing a little research, this is what I came up with:

I have all the other bits (PSU, case, SSDs etc), and a 1060 6gb. I don't game as much as I used to but I will still hop into Prapar3d, DCS, SC2 and a few modern FPSs. I don't do 4k either (I'm still on 1680x1050) or I'd get a better video card but that might be something to consider down the road. I do plan on overclocking the CPU and budget isn't really a huge factor but I just don't want more than I really need since my current i5 2500k @ 4.5 is still holding up ok. I'm looking for a smoother experience mainly in the flight sims but I've been out of the PC game for so long but from a bit of research I've been doing leads me to believe that AMD now offers a bigger bang than Intel for the same price point.

The 2500k was holding me back a lot. I didn't have one of the nice ones and all I could get without running 1.5v through it was 4.2 Ghz. I definitely noticed issues though especially with poorly optimized games like Mankind Divided which had noticeable frame skips and input lag as well as the new AC titles. Mankind Divided still runs like dogshit sometimes on my 3600X but at least it stays near 60 FPS in the worst-case scenario and the input lag is gone. The stock cooler is loving loud and has an annoying growling tone to it as it ramps up beyond 50%. In the process of seeing if there is a quieter fan that can fit onto the stock cooler because gently caress me if I didn't have headphones on while gaming.

Stickman posted:

You'll want a dual-fan card - the blower 5700xts are universally hot and loud. Unfortunately, the ASRock Challenger doesn't have any official reviews I could find - from trip reports it sounds like it's loud but decently cool. ASRock doesn't have a best track record with their cooling systems, though.

That leaves the Sapphire Pulse as your cheapest option I'd heartily recommend (and it's a good card). The Gigabyte Gaming OC, Sapphire Nitro+, and several of the top-end cards are also good, just more expensive.

I have the 5700xt Pulse right now and under certain circumstances, there is coil whine. It is rare and I only encountered it in two games. Northgaard and a wargame called Fields of Glory 2. I just wanted to put that out there for folks who are sensitive to this stuff. No other games seem to produce it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Exodor posted:

Looking to replace my i5-4960 based PC. I'll be mostly gaming at 2560x1440. I'll bring over the RTX 2060 from my current rig (I understand it's a little underpowered for 2K gaming but I'm fine with having to dial back the details a bit.

I've picked out the parts below. I'd like the system to be as quiet as possible. Should I look into a aftermarket CPU cooler or is the stock cooler quiet enough?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $662.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-27 19:52 EDT-0400

3600 CL 16 ram available for like 2 dollars more. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X8DVDZZ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 Not a huge difference but you will eke out 2-5 more frames per second 0.1%/ 1% lows in most titles.

Get an aftermarket cooler for sure, stock coolers work well but are loud. Not sure how much room is in your budget for it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I think we should be at the point where we should straight up tell people not to get a 9600k unless it is severely discounted or if it is some sort of drop-in replacement for a damaged part they have. Like, not simply recommending another product but advising people to give the 9600k a hard pass for a brand new system. The 9600k's low thread count has been known to cause frame time delivery issues since the launch of the product last year. Things are not going to get any better and might even go downhill quickly in the next 18 months given that the latest consoles all purportedly have 8 core AMD products in them. If a user wants Intel and is willing to pay the price premium for peace of mind, we should direct them to a 9700k at minimum.

Bank posted:

Sidetrack: I've been reading this thread for weeks contemplating a new build and I can't believe studios are making games that require stupidly expensive machines to really enjoy :(

I now remember why I bought my $200 Xbox One.

Still gonna build a new computer though.

Prices might start to come down significantly in the next 12 months. Intel is releasing is another 14nm refresh. It seems likely that multithreading is coming to i5s and Intel might be poised to dump cheap 14nm+++ chips into the market place in the next year to blunt AMD's advance into the desktop space. If so and AMD responds accordingly we might see more reasonable prices again before next year is over. Similarly with Intel getting into the GPU game, assuming these are not just workstation cards, and with AMD releasing some sort of high-end Navi based card, Nvidia might actually be forced to stop gouging at the insane levels seen before, even if it is just the midrange market that sees the price compression.

Woebin posted:

E: Oh, it looks like the B450 Pro4 doesn't support DDR4-3200 though, which is the stuff I was getting I think? I just assume the 3200 here stands for 3200Mhz, as is the listed speed for the G.Skill kit.

Stickman posted:

It does, it's just that anything over... 2133MHz I think? ... is technically overclocking. You just need to enable the "XMP Profile" in bios and it'll run at the advertised speed!

So that G.Skill kit isn't on the QVL (https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450%20Pro4/#Memory). That means there isn't likely to be a proper XMP profile on that BIOS. That means there is a decent chance it will default to 2133 (DDR4 standard). There is also a decent chance that it will not boot properly and POST for the first few times while the motherboard is "training" the RAM and figuring out the proper timings. Don't panic if this happens, just let it sit for like 5 minutes and if it still doesn't post, reboot and wait again. It will eventually come around but like I said it might default to 2133. In which case you will be leaving performance on the table (might not matter if your target is 60 fps) unless you deal with manual RAM timings through the Ryzen DRAM calculator app and then hoping your motherboard BIOS is flexible enough for you to go in there and mess with the timings. I mean I am not buildzoid or anything like that but troubleshooting tech, reading endless forum posts and bios manuals, and watching youtube videos on fine-tuning doesn't scare me, but as a new Ryzen user, I decided to play it safe and buy RAM on my mobo's QVL just in case.

I highly recommend all new Ryzen users to buy RAM that is on the QVL for the particular motherboard, even if it costs a bit more. In researching Epic Doctor Fetus's issues, I have come across a litany of issues revolving around the Ryzen platform and RAM, not just from the latest launch of the Zen 2 lineup, but going back as far as when Ryzen first launched. Troubleshooting these issues is not for the faint of heart. Just to be clear, I am not saying that non QVL RAM will fail or cause issues, in fact, it will most likely work in 95% of the cases even if it is with loose XMP timings. There will be a small minority of cases where XMP will simply not work and you gotta bust out the DRAM calculator to recover RAM speed and performance. But there appears to be a non-trivial group of people who will get absolutely dicked over by the platform and either lose noticable performance that is difficult and time consuming to claw back and in the worst case, non-techies might tear their hair out like huhwhat went through and what Fetus still going through atm.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Stickman posted:

Motherboard QVL lists are annoyingly incomplete and often don't get updated as they add support. Most RAM is fine for 2nd-gen Ryzen now and the B450 Pro4 is on that particular kit's QVL list, so I wouldn't worry about that choice in particular! 3rd-gen Ryzen seems like they potentially have more issues (though still relatively rare), but it's definitely worth looking at both the board's and ram's QVL list because one or the other may not be up-to-date.

I agree that is unlikely to cause issues even if it isn't on the QVL. I just really hate to see Goons run into trouble and I feel paying an extra 10-15 bucks for QVL approved RAM isn't a terrible idea and should be presented as a choice for those who want to maximize the "it just works" percentage. I feel particularly bad for Fetus who basically doesn't have a working system right now and we couldn't help him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

huhwhat posted:

The kit I have is the G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVK which is paired with an MSI B450i, in case anyone wants to avoid this combo.

If you care about it, you should be able to get it up ther with work. XMP isn't sanctioned overclocking per say, it is just that JEDEC had a standard for DDR4 speed and timings and if you want to call your RAM/mobo DDR4 compatible then it has to run at that speed and mobo/ram manufacturers have to abide by that. When manufacturers make 3200 Mhz ram, they mean it is capable of 3200, not that you might be able to to hit the speeds. But there are no standards here so hence the QVL list where both sides try and test the stuff and make sure it works at speeds greater than 2133. It is unusual though that RAM would fall so far short of its capability though.

True overclocking would be trying to ask the 3200 stick to run at either higher speeds or at tighter timings than what the manufacturer promised you it would run at when they took your money.

Klaaz posted:

Thanks for the information dude. I've got a 144hz monitor so I am going for a 3600 probably.

If you are buying online and going b450, get one that allows for USB flashing of the BIOS. If buying brick and mortar, buy from someone who will flash it for you free of charge of required.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 29, 2019