Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
There's no reason to upgrade a 4790K if you're gaming at 1080p 60hz, it's really only your GPU holding you back. You can find a 980ti for around $300 on ebay these days, if your power supply can handle it. That'll tide you over for at least another couple of years unless you decide to upgrade your display.

You could also consider a better cooler if you want to eke more out of your cpu, I run mine at 4.5 just fine on a relatively cheap 120mm AIO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stickman posted:

Or heck, if you don't care about overclocking and don't mind putting some extra money up front:

- Sell the 4790K for ~$200 and the Ram/motherboard for maybe another $100
- Throw that together with the $200 saved by going with a 980ti.
- Pick up an 8400/z370/16GB 3200 combo for $450-500.

I don't see the point of this at all, you're going from 4c/8t to 6c/6t and the IPC improvement won't make up for the clock speed drop. You're spending a bunch of cash to break even at best.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Just Offscreen posted:

I finally have the spare funds to pull the trigger on a dedicated Plex server, and this is what I was able to come up with so far.

That is absolutely wild overkill for a plex server. Be aware that the vast majority of the time you're using plex, you will not be transcoding. The only time transcoding is generally necessary is if you are accessing your server through a remote connection over the internet, and unless you know you're going to have four clients doing that simultaneously, I would scale down your CPU choice and consider some used parts instead. For reference, I'm running Plex in a docker in unraid on two cores of a lovely old AM3 bulldozer crammed full of hard drives and running other VMs, and I have zero trouble maintaining 6 local streams.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The 3gb model has a lot more in common with the 1050ti than the 1060. It's just a bad card and you should feel bad if you buy it.

edit: to be clear, it doesn't just have less ram, they stripped cores out of it for whatever reason.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

People didn't get anywhere near this ruffled about the RX 560 14CU, or the DDR3 variant of the RX 530, or the fact that AMD is still trying to pass off 4-6 year old GCN 1.x cards as RX 400s and 500s. Wonder why :thunk:

my god paul it's all true
you've uncovered the something awful pc building and parts megathread's darkest secret
it's not that we're justifiably upset at a company selling a lovely, stripped down version of a product without informing the consumer that it's different
it turns out we're all secretly paid by amd through george soros' accounts in the cayman islands to turn the forums against nvidia
you know too much now. you have 15 minutes before the amd spec ops team arrives, please don't run, you'll only make it harder on yourself.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

the numa numa song posted:

I've never built my own machine before, don't really follow the hardware news, and I haven't bought a computer since my Thinkpad in 2012. So I just need to know if there are any oversights I'm making.

Well, you did good, kid. The only thing I would consider adding is a more substantial cooler, but just running at stock speeds that build is going to be such an overwhelming upgrade you probably don't have to worry about it for quite a while.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dinosaur Satan posted:

Is there any reason to get a 1080 with a boost clock instead of just the base clock if I have no interest in overclocking?

... huh?

every gpu since the gtx600 has had a boost clock, I don't understand what you're asking.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rosalind posted:

I have a 1440 display (Acer Predator X34 if that matters) and I play mostly Overwatch and FFXIV. Would I be able to make some upgrades to get some noticeable improvements? For instance with FFXIV, I get about 40-50 FPS on high graphics settings (but the moment I turn ReShade on, it drops to 20ish).

That's a hell of a lot of monitor to drive with a 970. I'm surprised you can actually run it at native resolution at all. I would upgrade your GPU first and foremost if you want to get the most out of that panel.

You then have a choice between hunting down a 3770k on eBay and a cooler that will let you get some juice out of it, or just biting the bullet and upgrading the cpu/ram/mobo, but that's going to get expensive quick.

What's your budget and what kind of stuff would you like your machine to do that it currently struggles with?

edit: I have no idea why you would replace your power supply

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Fuzz posted:

I can't stand this guy's voice, jesus. He sounds so smug and obnoxious it's hard to actually take anything he's saying seriously.

excuse me how dare you talk that way about cpu jesus

how very dare you

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hob_Gadling posted:

Need a workstation at home. Is there anything wrong with the basic plan of

Ryzen 2700x <snip>

That looks like a good plan for your workload. You've already got a quiet case and you're not overclocking, so I wouldn't really worry about noise even with the stock cooler. You can always pick up a DH-15 or something later if it bothers you. If you're extremely persnickety about noise, you might want to upgrade the power supply at some point, a beefier unit would mean the fan would kick on a lot less.

Only other thing to consider is maybe going TR instead, but it's probably overkill and your single core speed would suffer.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

VulgarandStupid posted:

Is an anti static vacuum just a vacuum with a hose?

No. Vacuums by nature generate a fuckload of static electricity, keep them the hell away from computer bits unless they're specifically ESD safe.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers, I'll check with him which version of V-Ray he uses then spec something with quality components.

Didn't realise the CPU was so expensive.

Scan UK a good place to have a custom built machine put together?

You should shop around for system integrators with experience making this kind of workstation machine, unless you're willing to build it yourself. You're going to be spending significant dosh on this kind of thing, it's better if your friend works directly with the people building their system.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Prime Day is tomorrow, do they tend to have good deals on computer stuff? In this case I'm particularly looking for a POE switch, but the networking thread is much slower and I figure everyone here buys networking equipment too.

Me too, let me know if you find one, my wiring closet is a tangled mess of injectors. Prime day is a clearance sale, there's usually no rhyme or reason to it other than what random claptrap is aging in amazon's bowels.

El Spamo posted:

I'm going to augment the memory with my current RAM, which is a pair of 4GB sticks. That'll fill all 4 slots, if the 2x8gb will play nice with the 2x4gb.

Not if it's DDR3, which is likely for a 6 year old build. What's your current config?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zerilan posted:

What's the difference between the ryzen 5 2400g and 2400?

the G is for GPU, it's got just a touch of the vega in there.

edit: lol apparently it'll run monster hunter .....ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LADFDUiPing

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 11, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zerilan posted:

Can't watch video atm, by "run... ish" you mean is the CPU barely good enough or do you mean the G part of it is just enough GPU for it?

CPU should be more than fine, the GPU... is probably great at 720p but the dude in the video was making more compromises than I'd like trying to maintain 30fps at 1080. It's about RX460 level performance. There's only so much you can do with shared ram.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zero VGS posted:

The CoreV1 isn't the H200 though. I consider the CoreV1 to be the easiest case to build in of any case and any size, because 5 out of 6 sides of it come off completely and you can rotate the thing around like a Rubik's Cube as you build it.

That's... an odd opinion. I ran my main setup in a core v1 for ages. It's still quite challenging to get it cool and quiet, and you have to admit the cable routing is a nightmare compared to any modern ATX case. Not to mention the fact that you can rarely count on the CPU socket being in a reasonable place with ITX, let alone fan headers or anything else you need to route away from the board.

I finally gave up. ATX is a stupid, bloated, outdated pain in the rear end standard, but at least it's a drat standard. And there's a lot to be said for slapping a 240mm AIO on your chip and calling it a day.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

VelociBacon posted:

The new tech needs dx12 or I'd be happy to stay on the win7 build.

I'm confused. You don't need a new cpu for either Windows 10 or dx12, the 4790k is more than fine.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

VelociBacon posted:

Oh hm I guess I was thinking it was only really worth it if you use ddr4 ram and such. I'd certainly like to stick with the 4790k.

Yeah, my 4770k still just hums along at 4.6 all day, I honestly can't imagine upgrading for at least another generation. Nothing affordable is substantially faster and I just don't really need more than 4 cores or 4 lane nvme support or hardware HEVC.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My justification for upgrading with this next processor cycle is that even though it's still 14nm, I'm going from a quad 2500K on a 32nm process to an octa 9900K on a 14nm+++(+) process. It might not be a 100% increase in IPC gains, but it's a ~125% increase in processing power between the physical cores and what hyperthreading brings to the table.

If I were still running pre-haswell, I'd definitely upgrade, but Intel is looking like a dead end for the next year or two. I'd just pick up a quality AM4 board, a cheap 1700 and wait for Zen 2.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $1,100

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?:

Don't own a monitor yet, looking to finally build my first pc since I've only been a laptop user literally forever.

If you're including a monitor in that budget, you could either build for a 1080p rig that would run most things comfortably at 90+hz, or a 1440p rig that'll run at a solid 60. Take yer pick.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Non Serviam posted:

Sorry to quote myself here but, any advice? I haven't built anything since I made this pc so I'm at a complete loss as to what parts would be useful. Thanks!

VelociBacon posted:

I didn't say anything the first time because I was on my phone and thought someone else would. 4 cores with hyperthreading at 3.8 isn't so bad, your GPU is really way behind. I also am a photographer and edit video, in your shoes I would just update my video card and see how it impacts things. I would think a 1070 or 1080 would be decent and they're being discounted right now because the next gen stuff is coming out at the end of September.

Good advice for gaming, but not for video editing. Premiere cares if you have a relatively recent GPU, but doesn't really care how fast it is. CPU is way more important, especially for 4k footage. For a video editing / modest gaming rig, something like a 6gb 1060 is more than enough, and you'd see much better 4k preview and export times with a current gen i7 or 2700x. Even getting a current AM4 board and a used 1800x or 1700 would give you a decent boost and you'd be ready to just slap in a Zen 2 if you want to upgrade down the line.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Non Serviam posted:

I'm sorry to abuse your kindness here, but could you elaborate a bit? As much as possible, really. Thank you so much.

Sure, you can read more here: https://www.techspot.com/article/1270-premiere-pro-cpu-gpu-performance/page2.html

Basically, there are very few scenarios where it makes sense to beef out your GPU for Premiere. A 1060 and a Titan X perform exactly the same in the majority of tests. Unless you specifically use certain codecs than benefit, or use a lot of GPU accelerated effects previews, you're better off throwing money at your cinebench score than your heaven score.

If you want as much power as you can get right now, a Ryzen 2700x build is the best bang for your buck. If you don't want to spend $330 on a CPU, then get the best AM4 motherboard you can afford and a used or clearance 1700 or 1800x. Either way, next priority is as much Samsung B-die ram as you can afford. Last priority is GPU, as long as you leave yourself enough budget for a 6GB 1060, as I just don't think it makes sense to buy a cheaper card right now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Fuzz posted:

The Objective 2 is quite the amp for my purposes already, I am mainly looking for a DAC or sound card option, maybe. The motherboard seems to have a fancy Realtek driver on it, though it has garbage options for the S/PDIF out which I actually use for my speakers (no Dolby or DTS because Asus didn't feel like it), so I'm thinking maybe a dedicated sound solution that's external and I can hook up to those speakers, my phone, my laptop, whatever, might be a decent idea. Just not sure which to get.

Was hoping to keep it under $150 though.

If you're not experiencing any glitches, noise or interference, you probably don't need a separate DAC. They pretty much either work or they don't, any sound quality differences in TYOOL 2018 are so minimal as to be irrelevant. What, if anything, are you unhappy about with your current setup?

Don't answer here though. Here's the headphone thread and the general audio question thread

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GutBomb posted:

Asus boards have a 2 piece socket guard. One piece that gets removed when you install the cpu, the other piece is wrapped around the top of the cpu to ease installation and hold it in. That was one part of the video that was actually not wrong.

How does that little piece of plastic "ease the installation" of a cpu? I genuinely don't understand what it does, or frankly how installing a CPU could get any easier.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

shadow puppet of a posted:

Also is there a better inexpensive motherboard out there with an excess of sata ports, that will leave me with three usabale pcie slots, that does not have a lot of burning hate directed at it in online reviews? Even something strange, used, or discontinued, I'm open to anything that will let me live out my crazy non-nas storage dreams.

Please, for god's sake stop. I don't know what you need 13 drives for, but there's absolutely no reason under any circumstances to cram that many drives in a workstation. There's a lot of extremely good reasons you can't find hardware to accomplish whatever it is you're trying to do.

Go to the NAS thread. The best advice I can offer you is to turn your entire existing setup into an unRaid box (with at least two parity drives) and build a whole new machine.

edit: actually don't even do that, that case is going to boil your drives to death. Maybe if you explained what your actual use case is and what you're trying to do, we could help better.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The other option is an eSATA RAID enclosure, but they're expensive (but much less so than a NAS with a similar amount of bays) and picky about which controllers they'll work with.

Something like this: https://www.pc-pitstop.com/sata_enc...jUaAjDKEALw_wcB

I guess, but they've already got a perfect pile of crap to turn into an unraid box. Absolutely nothing in that build is actually useful to swap into a new machine except the SSDs and maybe one of the spinners for local storage, and it's not worth selling, either. A $30 unraid license is a shitload cheaper than a $300 sata enclosure, and I've had nothing but issues with those drat things and their lovely port duplicators. My unraid box, on the other hand, is closing in on 8 months of uptime and the only reason I even restarted it back then was an unresponsive VM that I was too lazy to troubleshoot.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If it's any consolation, we're gonna get hosed in January when the idiot's tariffs start to really kick in.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'll link the nas thread good lord.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

The Deadly Hume posted:

Alongside that I also need a new secondary drive (basically project files, audio work that uses stupidly large sample banks, and of course games) to replace 1TB and 2TB drives - I'm inclined to go as huge as possible but also still want decent throughput (as much as you can get from a spinner, anyway) so I am thinking along the likes of a 6TB Blue, although I am wondering if the price premium for the Black is worth it.

If all you need is 6tb, I'd recommend getting two fast 3tb drives and a slow 6tb. Stripe the 3tb drives and rsync the volume to the 6tb in the background every 15 minutes or whatever. Now you've got fast, cheap, redundant storage hooray.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, kinda. ;)

Except for narrow silos Intel has been pushing forward though. Again: people didn't want hexacore. The monetary figures show it. You could get HW-E for the same money as the 4770K/4790K, and then the same money as Skylake. There was a very clear market consensus on which was better.

You're completely ignoring Haswell-E requiring a whole other socket and chipset. That's nowhere near an apples to apples comparison. If Intel had re-packaged the 5820k and called it the "4990k" or whatever they could have sold a shitload of them to enthusiasts and folks looking for an upgrade down the line. At a higher price, even.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sniep posted:

I disagree with this entirely.

NVENC is still far inferior to CPU encoding x264 if you have the CPU cores available to do it. If you're on an old CPU that's pushing it's limits without encoding, then fine, NVENC is there, but I'd never personally choose it if i did not have to.

I wouldn't say "far inferior" with the newest drivers and a 10 series card. It's definitely still worse, but not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

resident posted:

Is a 9900k the obvious processor option if I want to setup a perpetual Hackintosh Virtualbox?

Just about anything modern will do that, really, but you don't want to run OS X in virtualbox as your main OS. It's not supported or stable, or good, since there's no GPU support at all. If you want a hackintosh, you need to do it properly, which I believe we have a thread for?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wengy posted:

Yeah, just upgraded to 10 and it's OK. Don't really see the need, but whatever.

No mainstream support at all, and security updates end a year from now. Don't run windows 7 as your daily OS unless you've got a really good reason and you're capable of making sure your machine is secure without Defender updates.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MarksMan posted:

To each his own I guess (cue "The Dude" Lebowski opinion meme.) The power just running the GPU rigs is pretty negligible to be honest. I used more electricity in my marijuana business in San Francisco, although I never felt bad about using electricity for that purpose. The ASIC's are extreme power hogs (any SHA-256 machines at least,) but they have been off for about 2 months, although I can't say it's for environmental reasons, rather it just wasn't profitable to have them running, even with my industrial power rates. But again, the GPU's were always intended to be used for ml/dl, which I consider a very worthy use of electricity.

Well, if you use electricity to grow marijuana, you end up with a whole bunch of marijuana, which probably improves the world in some small way. With crypto, you are literally throwing away electricity by design, and getting nothing in return. You're not solving anything or making anything, you're just trading watts for fundamentally pointless hashing algorithms.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

dunno. Yeah, 9900K is probably the rational choice but I'm not going to feel good about this one no matter which way I go.

9900K is only the rational choice if price/performance is thrown out the window completely. It's selling for $60 to $80 over msrp, nearly twice the cost of a 2700x, and it's only getting worse.

If your entire basis for choice is "most possible frames i can have right now regardless of anything" then sure, go for it, but please don't call it rational.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FirstAidKite posted:

Monitor is 1366x768

Oh god. Oh no. You need a new monitor way more than you need anything else you're thinking about.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SnatchRabbit posted:

Thanks for the local shop suggestion. I called a place in town I've done business with in the past and they quoted me $180 for a basic build if I provide components which seems totally reasonable. I'll probably go with them when the time comes.

That being said, what's the general consensus on the nvidia 20XX series? I'll most likely be gaming on my 4k TV or a new 4k monitor. I dont think I'll run native 4k since I'd like to stay north of 60fps. My budget for a new gaming build is around 1500-2000. Should I be looking at a 8700k, 2080, 16gb RAM?

The 20xx series is not worth the price premium if you don't care about RTX, and right now there's zero reason to care about RTX. A 1080ti will give you the same performance for considerably less money. If you don't care about 4k or 100+fps on ultra, a 1080ti is still hilarious overkill unless you plan on keeping it for 4+ years.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Khablam posted:

It's still probably better to buy and build though - paying off the same amount on a credit card will cost you less than financing though any of these places. The cost savings vs a pre-built will let you get much better QOL improvements, such as a workable SSD size and come under budget.

For real. If you qualify for financing through any of these places, you probably also qualify for a credit card that will give you cash back rewards and a better APR. Hell, see if you can get one of those "0% interest for 6 months" deals and just pay it off in that timeframe. That also means you can buy whatever you want from wherever you want, without being limited to new parts and the builder's markup.

There are plenty of good reasons to go with a system builder instead of DIYing it, but financing isn't one of them.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

joedevola posted:

OK, that's probably what I'll do then.

What sort of performance would I be likely to get out of the build I listed or the slightly better one Khablam posted in, say, Fortnite?

Don't go with the build you posted. There's no reason to get an APU if you're not using the graphics portion. Either one will give you an easy 60fps at 1080p on high in fortnite, the RX570 will give you a lot more breathing room. If you want the build to last a little longer, see if you can find an 8gb RX480 or 580, or a 6gb 1060 for a good price.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

codo27 posted:

I feel like 27" is pretty good but I think 30" is about perfect, dont know why it seems to cap off at 27 and then its ultrawide after that.

27" is great at 1440p, which is a good resolution compromise for gaming. At 30" you are gonna want 1600p to match that pixel density, at which point you might as well go 4k, at which point you're looking at a 1080ti minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hammerstein posted:

I was planning on a bigger upgrade than just a 2600X, mostly because I want to take the leap from 1440p to 4K once the next gen of graphics cards comes out next year (or whenever someone will offer an affordable G-sync monitor with HDR). It's just the mainboard and cooler I'm not 100% sure of. Budget is €200-350 for the mainboard and around €60 for the cooler.

The only new cards coming out next year are AMD. Nvidia is barely making a dent in their 10xx series inventory and the 20xx is a bit of a damp fart, so there's close to no chance of anything significant from Nvidia next year. I guess there's a chance that 7nm vega will turn out to be competitive and Nvidia will pull an intel and shove some half baked update out the door in a panic, but both scenarios are iffy at best.

The 9700k is also in a weird place. It's a soldered 8700K with no hyperthreading, a huge price premium and low availability. If you're willing to take the risk, it makes way more sense to delid an 8700k at this point, though it still might not be as good a choice as holding out for Zen 2.