Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
What's the thought on 'looping', that thing where you cut, bend & fit tubes that let weird liquids flow through the machine. I've been looking at lots of builds and that seems way more interesting than just tossing a bunch of components into a case -- it looks like it takes planning, engineering and practice. Has anyone done this for their build and if so, any good resources for beginners? Or is it generally regarded as the PC equivalent of putting rims on a Civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Doing a custom water cooling loop is a lot of work and the returns are not all that great until you are using very high end setups like triple SLI/CF where the extra cooling really matters, it's more of a hobby, you do it because you think it's cool and you enjoy the reward of making something. As for resources on custom loops I will direct you to JayzTwoCents's Youtube channel Jay knows his way around high end water cooling an has done a ton of tutorial and build videos so his channel is a good resource for this sort of thing.

That's great, thanks. I know it's kind of cart-in-front-of-horse but it looks fun to try

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/G8f8TW
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/MQpbt6
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/JLM8TW

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Brovine posted:

I'd prefer to buy new - and I do want to buy stuff within the next few weeks. Is the new market likely to be affected in any useful way?

I've never really paid much attention around launches as I've not been buying any where near the high end stuff.

The 1080/1070 were announced a day ago and the 1070s coming out in June for less than 400 dollars and its supposed to be better than the 980ti (from what I can gather everyones going nuts it's a little hard to follow).

But apparently the 1070 will be really hard to get at retail because everyone will buy 100 and mark them up? This is a new one for me, PC parts profit mongering. Anyway I'm waiting until June for it.

edit- nevermind I obviously came in late. But that does let me ask -- will the 1070 really be hard to find for a while?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've put off ordering components and in the meantime MicroCenter has decided to put this on sale for $999, and it seems pretty hard to build a comparable system

Intel Core i5-6600K Processor 3.5GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready
16GB RAM (DDR4-3000)
480GB SSD
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Asus 24x DVDRW Drive
Multi-in-One Memory Card Reader
10/100/1000 Network
802.11b/g/n Wireless
MSI Z170A PC Mate Motherboard
Display Not Included

Plus a 1 year warranty on parts/labor.. i mean, seems good. 500 watt PSU might be a little on-the-nose for my liking, and there's no sli support but the latter was a just-in-case feature for me anyway.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
So, I was browing MicroCenter the other day and came across this:

(Open Box) G313 Desktop Computer;
Intel Core i5-6600K Processor 3.5GHz;
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready;
16GB RAM;
480GB SSD;
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit;
Asus 24x DVD±RW Drive;
Multi-in-One Memory Card Reader;
10/100/1000 Network;
802.11b/g/n Wireless;
MSI Z170A PC Mate Motherboard;
Display Not Included
$469.96
Tax » $28.20
TOTAL » $498.16

This used to sell at $1200, occasionally on sale for $1000. The website says it momentarily bumped to 700 on clearance (but no new stock), so I think the open-box price just algorithmed down based on the most recent listed price.

Anyway anyway, I grabbed it and it seems to be working fine so far, all components check out. they have a no questions asked 15 day return window for me to test.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for benchmark software/testing? I saw the link in the op where you can plug in your hardware details and get general numbers, but what I'm wanting is benchmark testing specific to individual machines. You know how some people talk about hitting the 'silicon lottery', etc. (which may be a BS concept for all I know).. wondering how best to see what my machine's capable of actually putting out. If there's another thread for this sorry; I didn't find it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Khablam posted:

There's a lot of options.
Probably, given your general use, the best thing is to just use http://www.userbenchmark.com/
It'll give a report and show you performance relative to the same CPU or whatever.

'Silicon lottery' tends to refer to overclock potential. Running at stock, any two CPUs should be very very similar.
GPUs can vary slightly more as different OEMs clock differently, and auto-overclocking has more leverage.

That looks perfect, thanks

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Three-Phase posted:

This question is going to be a lightning rod - but I need to ask it.

Are there any companies that build computers that don't do the following BS:
- Using super substandard parts
- Using proprietary connectors (basically everything inside can be swapped if the owner desires it)
- Does super-clean OS installs without tons of BS or provides the system with no installed OS or software at all

I know that those will probably incur some extra price.

Also I was surprised last week when trying to buy a i5 and Gigabyte motherboard and finding that these motherboards won't work with the newest i5 processors (despite the same socket)... what the hell?!

MicroCenter, specifically the Powerspec series get praise for being good deals, solid components and review very well. Sometimes they go on sale for less than what you could realistically put together, assuming you factor cost of all components and OS for a scratch build. I don't know if they ship or if you just need to be near one.

Costco may be another option if you're a member. Im not sure if they have an in-house brand, just basing this on reputation. But unlike a powerspec you won't find something comparable to a self build for the same cost.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Khablam posted:

There's a lot of options.
Probably, given your general use, the best thing is to just use http://www.userbenchmark.com/
It'll give a report and show you performance relative to the same CPU or whatever.

hah, thanks again for this. It turns out my 3000 speed ram was gimped to 2333. Just that one BIOS adjustment made a satisfying uptick in the scores. I gather it doesn't make *much* difference in typical real-world use but even still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh - and rumor has it nVidia is considering a 1070Ti card to further stymie AMD, and that Ice Lake might be an 8C/16T consumer chip on the Z390 chipset...in 2H 2018. :negative:

I'm trying to figure out where this would fall compared to a standard 1080. More powerful, cost more? Less powerful, cost less?

1070s are in $400-500 range, and 1080s start at mid-500s already. What would be the market for a 1070ti.