Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

to use ram speeds higher than 2133 you still need a K series CPU.

uh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
It's absolutely not the case. Source: i'm running a 6700 non-k with DDR4 @3200 (on a z170 board, of course)

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
no just install 10 and use the key from 7

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
EVO 960 chat - this is my board: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5529#ov

quote:

PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connector with up to 32Gb/s Data Transfer (PCIe NVMe & SATA SSD support)

This means I can use one, right?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Can anyone recommend a dirt cheap, fanless, pci-e graphics card for a server? I turned my old PC in a NAS and i'd really like to pull the GTX 960 I have in there and replace it with something cool and low power. There's not even a monitor hooked up to this system so I don't need all the heat and power draw of the 960.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Eletriarnation posted:

The traditional ultra low-end/HTPC card bracket has disappeared since integrated GPUs good enough to tolerate are now ubiquitous

Ah right, that makes sense, no wonder there are so few options now. The system is just running unraid so I don't get a poo poo about driver support, there's not even a GUI. And it won't do VT-d so I couldn't even pass it through to a VM if I wanted.

Nephzinho posted:

Why not just remove it and not replace it?

My mb has no integrated graphics support (although the proc does, I'm pretty sure, i7-2600).

poo poo, maybe I can just find a cheap mb instead.

e: gently caress, it DOES actually do VT-d, i could have sworn I read it didn't earlier. gently caress it then, I'll just keep the 960 and spin up a windows VM for guests to game on.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 17, 2017

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Is there a rule of thumb on how much current you can draw though a system fan header on a mobo? My ITX board only has a single sys fan header, and I'm using the splitter that came with my Define Nano S for the front and back fans. But I'm about to add another GP-14 fan to the front and I feel like it'll be a bad idea to run 3 fans off of a single header. The max current isn't something that's listed in the manual.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 2, 2017

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Is there a go-to 600w SFX PSU right now? It looks like the two most popular on Amazon are the Corsair SF600 (stiff, long cables?) and the SIlverstone (QC/fan issues?).

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

dy. posted:

I have a "have my cake and eat it too" question.

I really like the NZXT H200 case for my next build, but already have an open-air 1080 (Asus Strix) that's not going to play nice with the PSU shroud. Has anyone managed to deal with that situation successfully?

You can put a small AIO cooler on your GPU with the NZXT G12 bracket. That's what I had to do for my Define Nano case. I'm glad I did it anyway because it's orders of magnitude quieter and cooler than the heatsink/fans that came on my EVGA 1080 FTW. Used the corsair H55.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I once started a windows install at work on a server that was connected to a fibre channel SAN. Luckily I realized what was happening before causing any permanent damage, but it did wipe the label from the LUN and caused some downtime while I fixed that.

So yeah, always pay super close attention to which drive it's defaulting to because it's often not the one you'd expect.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
1440p/165hz + 1080p/60hz here on my 1080 and it idles at 0%.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I lost my 8700k in an overclocking mishap (pretty sure my faulty mobo fried it since I wasn't doing anything crazy at all). I already got a new motherboard thinking (hoping) that's all it was, but the CPU is unfortunately dead as well.

So I went ahead and ordered a 9700k since it's only like 40 bucks more. My question is, should I return this z370 board for a z390? What difference, if any, will it make? The board will support 9th gen procs with the latest bios, just wondering if I'll be missing out on anything performance wise.

e: nevermind, google says no it isn't worth it.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 19, 2018

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

emocrat posted:

Fan control question for the experts in here:

My motherboard has a single 4 pin header for case fans. I would like to run 3x case fans, all Be Quiet Silent Wings 3. Can anyone detail what splitters/cables I would need to get? It seems like what I would want is a cable to take the controls from the header, but be able to pull in power from a molex line from the PSU. Does this exist?

You don't need anything like that assuming you want them all at the same speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Computer-Extension-Converter-TeamProfitcom/dp/B07F8LV1BY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

grimcreaper posted:

What are the benefits of win10 pro over standard?

You can join pro to a domain, and it has remote desktop built in. That's about it