Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Aside from a new video card here and there, I haven't upgraded internals since late 2011. So far it's been running fine for the games I play but, now I have the VR bug. I need something that's gonna power through Fallout VR, etc. Money isn't an object... well, within reason. Suggestions or tips?

Things I'll need:
Motherboard - Leaning towards MSI and away from Gigabyte. I'm open to overclocking but I don't have much experience with it, so if there's one with features that make it easier that would be cool. I'm also interested in that new ac(?) WiFi standard.
Processor - (Currently i5 760) Still sticking with Intel so, probably an i7-8700k? Is there something else out or on the horizon? I plan on getting a delidder tool and applying the paste.
Memory - (Currently 8GB of DDR3 1600) I'll want at least 16GB. Are there any appreciable benefits from more? What speed to shoot for? Nothing too gaudy or bulky, I'll need it to play nice with my Noctua cooler.

Things I might need:
Power Supply - I have a Corsair 550W now. Should I bump that up? I'm looking to go full modular if so.

Things I probably don't need:
Graphics Card - I have a 1080 I bought about 6 months ago before all this crypto nonsense. I wish I'd gone with the Ti but, it's too early to upgrade again?
Storage - Gonna reuse the 3 SSDs from my existing build, unless the performance has improved so much to make upgrading worth it. Are those M2(?) drives worth messing with?

Things I don't need:
Case - Very happy with my Lian-Li

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

An 8700k is a great choice. All the Z370 motherboards support overclocking. You'll notice a substantial gain by getting 16GB of DDR4-3200. I've hit 24GB under heavy load on rare occasions so 32GB isn't a useless investment if you're throwing money into it anyway. A corsair 550W will be fine, but consider getting one of the nicer Corsair modular ones like an 650W RMx or an EVGA G3 or G1. A Samsung 960 Pro is an NVMe M.2 SSD and while NVMe is substantially faster than any SATA link, there is only a marginal improvement over a regular SSD in your day to day operations. Like while going from a platter to an SSD might drop load times from 15 to 3 seconds, going to an NVMe may only drop it from 3 to 2. Only because even a big speed gain is hardly noticeable when the speed is already so fast.

Okay, I'll shoot for 32GB of DDR4-3200 if the prices aren't too horrendous. The modular PSU is mostly a vanity thing so I'll keep the one I have for now. Thanks for the input!