Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
The video card in my desktop PC died, and I've decided to replace the whole system because it's getting old anyway. But it seems a little ridiculous to buy a video card right now when nvidia's 1000 series is just about to come out. So, I'm thinking I should build the new system, and just use onboard video until the new cards come out. Is there any reason I might not want to do that?

Also, looking for parts advice:
What country are you in?
US

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming, web browsing, Office

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
I'm looking to spend up to about $1500. I have a retail Windows 7 license that I plan to use for the W10 upgrade, so I won't need to buy Windows. I would like to buy a USB optical drive though.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution?
1080p. I'd really like to be able to put things on high settings with a good framerate.

Right now I'm thinking about getting something like this:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($226.32 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Thermaltake Core V31 ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.67 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.49 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $664.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 21:06 EDT-0400

That leaves plenty of room in your budget to get a better video card over the next few weeks, people are already offloading their 980tis for ~$310 so if you get a used card you could have a system capable of maxing everything out in any game for under 1k total.
I've been looking a lot at the GTX 1080. Getting the best performance sounds really attractive, but I really don't know how noticeable the difference is likely to be compared to a 1070 or a 980TI.

Also, is there anything in particular I should look for in buying a USB optical drive? Or can I just grab anything that has decent reviews on Amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU