Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The one thing I haven't seen anyone really mention yet is that everyone with 2500Ks who've been running them for 4-6 years now, really need to look into buying a new PSU, preferably one they'll be able to grandfather into their next build. Back when people were doing a moderate to major rebuild every three years, it wasn't a huge concern, but with people reaching the warranty limit on their PSU it's time to consider pulling that line.

Not to mention newer power supplies are more power efficient than what they probably started with. I did this earlier this year to replacing an ancient by today's standards Silverstone power supply. It didn't even have 80 PLUS efficiency on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

chippocrates posted:

What graphics card manufacturers are good/reputable? Looking at a GeForce 1070.

Asus, MSI and EVGA.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hernia The Hunter posted:

I want a fractal design case. Cos they are so very pretty, but the Define R5 recommended in the OP is 90 pound and this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-De...esign+define+r5

Is 30 pounds less and still an ATX case, does anyone have any experience or an opinion on Fractal or this case specifically? I'm just concerned that the Define S is the one trap option amongst Fractals catalogue.

I have the Define R5, it's a great case. The sound dampening panels do their job as well as the bottom and front panel filters. The S is also great if you have no need for optical drives.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dilettante. posted:

Concerning the various makes of the 1070 card, do the brands have any major differences? From the pcpartpicker list all I can really see is slight differences in core clock speed. Any of you chaps have any recommendations? I'm on a 1680*1050 at the moment, so hopefully it will be able to run any games a max settings for a few years at least.

Also I've been told I don't need a full size case If I'm not watercooling, care to suggest any nice sized towers? :)

Asus, EVGA, MSI.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Someone help my broke brain. I'm sitting on the following:

Intel i7-3770K
Cryorig H7
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Seagate 1TB
Asus Strix GTX 970
Fractal Design Define R5
Rosewill Capstone 550W PSU

I've been looking at upgrades as most people who built their systems in 2011/12 would do. I reserved a Ryzen CPU and mobo combo through my local Micro Center because the price is real good on it and I would like to stream more plus I got that Sony Vegas Humble Bundle recently so I've been thinking of multithreading a lot which lead me to it. No money has changed hands yet. This is what I'm currently parted out:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($219.99)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00) (Can get the AM4 bracket from the manufacturer or Newegg otherwise I could just use the 1700's stock cooler)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($204.99 @ Amazon) (Ugggggggh)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($144.00) (Rough guess, I forgot how much the employee pricing is on this)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Titanium Video Card ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Rosewill - Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1098.96

Am I heading down the right path? I'm not interested in 144hz gaming and Intel seems a bit cost prohibitive outside of the i5-8400 when you include the current motherboards out now but do realize the cheaper chipsets are coming.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 26, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd strongly advise against going with a Gigabyte board for Ryzen at this point, especially with a B350 chipset. Gigabyte is one of the worst offenders when it comes to 'revisionism.' The only time you ever want to take a chance on Gigabyte is with Rev 1.0, because generally Rev 1.1+ aren't *improvements*, but rather cost-saving measures (cheaper capacitors, less MOSFETs, thinner PCBs).

The thread favorites are, in order: ASUS/ASRock (they're not the same, they're just 'tied'), MSI, and EVGA (when applicable/available). Also, not sure where you're getting $69.99 for that motherboard, but at the price it's currently at, you're not that far off picking up an X370 board instead: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157774&cm_re=x370-_-13-157-774-_-Product

There's not a tremendous difference between the B350 and X370, but in the case of that ASRock board, the X370s usually have better power delivery/management, which will likely make the boards better at handling future AM4 processors (since AM4 is evidently going to be supported until 2020).

I see. Thought that was unusual considering the reviews put that Gigabyte board above the Asus and Asrock boards. I looked at Micro Center's offerings again and they have the ASUS PRIME B350M-A/CSM and ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS also paired with the 1700 and a bit cheaper. I'll take another look at them.

Edit: Looking at the X370 combos, the lowest one bundled (PRIME X370-PRO) with a 1700 is 70 bucks more than what I have spec'd out currently.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 26, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Gigabyte "Gaming" boards are their mid-tier offerings, but again, the issue with Gigabyte's stuff is that when it gets to Rev 1.1+, they start cutting more corners to increase their profit margins, because as a platform matures (especially with AMD), the fanboys and ~gotta-have-its~ get their hands on the Rev 1.0 stuff, and then there's a long lull where people aren't buying as much and orders aren't coming in as reliably - product sits on retailers' shelves and doesn't move.

*Every* AIB and motherboard maker will 'de-tune' to a varying extent subsequent revisions of their products to save money, but Gigabyte is definitely the worst offender of the 'best' brands.

Glad we had this chat. Did some more research and settled on the Asrock X370 Taichi. It has a great VRM design (which started to spook me on the B350 boards when it comes to the Ryzen 7's) and Intel ethernet. It happened to be the same price as the Asus Prime X370-Pro plus a 40 dollar rebate instead of 20 which ends up at $99 effective from the rebate and the bundling discount.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 26, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

As I stand in line with motherboard and processor check out ticket in hand in this Micro Center, I’m thankful I no longer work in retail. The day after Christmas is always the killer.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Ya, thank you. I was confused about what turbo boost meant.

Looks like my local microcenter just sold out of 8700 chips so I either have to wait for 8700/8700k or get an 8600k.

If it was anything like my Micro Center when I went to go pick up my Ryzen 7 and mobo earlier today, it must have been packed and people meandering around the components department looking at CPUs and Nvidia cards.

Also, hell yeah:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Q8ee posted:

That's awesome, thanks for taking the time to research that. I always worried about straying from the big brands like EVGA or MSI or ASUS.

as a complete and utter layman, I went for the Ceberus because it has slightly higher core and boost clocks. Though I've no idea what that means, and if the differences are even noteworthy. I'd go for the Palit, but I've never bought one in the past and have no idea how good their quality control is.

That has to be a typo. Nvidia has mandated all AIB 1070 Ti cards to not be factory overclocked. 1607 Core and 1683 Boost are the clocks they should be. They're still overclockable to the end user however.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

baquerd posted:

Hmm, I show the i5-8400 at 2.8GHz and the i5-7500 at 3.8GHz per core - where do you see the per-core being better?

3.8Ghz on the 7500 is the boost clock. If you're going by that metric, the 8400 outstrips it at 4.0Ghz.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Little miffed at Amazon and Newegg right now. They both left my DDR4 RAM and 1070 Ti out on my porch just now.

Amazon already has notes from me not to do this and already filed a complaint weeks ago but now Newegg I don’t understand because last I checked, for something so expensive, it wasn’t signature required? :confused:

I bet they use the same contractors.

At least I have everything now and can get to building soon.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Amazon Lockers are a godsend for stuff like this. See if there are any nearby you or your work. Newegg's a different story.

I was home though. They didn’t even knock or ring the doorbell.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Coil whine could be mitigated with a Fractal Design R series case. I have a Asus Strix GTX 970 which was notorious for it but I don't really hear it at all inside my R5.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Llamadeus posted:

Fractal Design just released the R6 this week with a bunch of minor changes and improvements, like... an extra fan at the front, no side panel fan slot. Also the option for USB type C on the front panel (sold separately)

Yeah, I just installed my new parts into my R5 and removed my old DVD/RW and the cage it was housed in and now I sorta wish I could have that extra fan to fill the void. Still love building in it though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They redid the roof section and the glass panel, and some internal airflow stuff - I don't feel that's substantial enough for upgrade from R4 or R5. Unless you're building an RGB pimpmobile or something.

Same, I’m not leaving my R5 for the time being. I only removed the drive cages I no longer use in my rebuild and air flow is :discourse:.

Edit: Though I’m envious of PSU shrouds.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 1, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

felat posted:

So apparently I misheard and my boyfriend's gaming-pc budget is 3000 CAN$, not 2500. I tried to be a bit more pro-active as I'd like to eventually be able to buy parts by myself, so I started from TheFluff's recs and built up after a bit of reading online. I also downgraded the monitor as I don't think we'll be going above 60fps, therefore the 75Hz monitor is enough (right? haha). Here's what I came up with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($470.99 @ PC Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ PC Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($130.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($231.87 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($204.95 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card ($1019.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($145.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.99 @ PC Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($116.95 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: Asus - PB277Q 27.0" 2560x1440 75Hz Monitor ($459.99 @ PC Canada)
Total: $2982.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-03 19:52 EST-0500

Please let me know if this is good or a dumb monstrosity! Thanks.

You should be easily getting up to and past 144mhz on 1440p if you're getting the i7 and a 1080 Ti.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yeah, if you have RAM from a company worth a drat, it should have limited lifetime warranty which should at least net you a replacement if they confirm the module went bad.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pretty much why I got a 1070 Ti, it was a card I could get last week at near MSRP. ~$449 is MSRP, I paid 469 not counting a rebate. The card I bought is now 489. Regular 1070's were almost the same price as the Ti's and 1080's were another hundo on top.

Edit: Holy poo poo, it's up to 519 now and it's sold out. :eyepop:

Glad I got it when I did I guess.

Edit 2: Ah, FE cards are out of stock too direct from Nvidia, probably why price shifted up.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 4, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

oliveoil posted:

Niiiice.

Now how do I find one for MSRP? Seems like they're sold out everywhere right now. >_<

The prices seem to follow when Nvidia themselves have them for sale on their store. But since they're out of stock, the prices have been up. Probably keep an eye on that as a barometer.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

amazeballs posted:

Well, I finished my build. Ended up going the Ryzen route. These prices are inaccurate as I got a hell of a deal on the GPU and CPU/Mobo combo at my local Micro Center. I really lucked out with the GPU. Someone had reserved it to pick up online and never came. The dude was putting it back in the case as I walked down the aisle. The card ended up in my hands for $560, the CPU was $340, and the mobo was $130. I also got the monitor for $999.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($389.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($147.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($419.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($459.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($899.77 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case: NZXT - H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($135.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell - AW3418DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120Hz Monitor ($1296.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $4193.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-08 10:37 EST-0500

I ended up impulsively buying that 34" Alienware monitor. I thought I would experience buyer's remorse, but then I powered it up...

It is... wonderful.

Hello Taichi compatriot. Little tip for you. When setting your fan curves in BIOS, set your CPU fan to monitor Tctrl. Leaving it on CPU actually means the socket is monitored instead and your fans may not react efficiently.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is there any consensus on mix and matching ram?

You could introduce instability from mismatched RAM. Try not to if you can help it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

pliable posted:

So uh, I was gonna get me an i7-8700K, but it appears it's affected by Spectre and Meltdown...

Is there some loving CPU not affected by this that I can buy?

486dx2.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Those Corsair ML fans worth a drat? Think I want to get a couple 2-packs and replace my case and CPU fans.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Faith For Two posted:

What country are you in?
USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
On most of the day, nearly every day, playing videos on screens.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
$40 for a different CPU cooler.

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Case: A 4U rackmount case- http://www.chenbro.com/en-global/products/RackmountChassis/4U_Chassis/RM42300
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO

I have this 4U server case. I bought a hyper 212 evo thinking "4U cases are pretty big. Especially compared to 3U cases." so I didn't bother checking the height compatability. Today I decided to take the 212 evo out of the box and it looks a bit too big to fit in the case... It might fit but I don't have the motherboard yet so I don't know for sure. The manual for the case doesn't specify the max cooler height. The manual for the motherboard doesn't specify the motherboard height.

You'd be looking for a downfiring cooler like Cryorig C7.

http://www.cryorig.com/c7_us.php

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It’ll be fine for like dungeons and what not. But you’re going to see drops in capitals and wherever a mass of people will be.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

vandalism posted:

Are the bitcoin cunts making graphics card prices go up this bad or what? I got a 1060 6gb for like $280 a year or two ago and now they're like 500. WHat the poo poo?

Yes, exactly that. Though technically not Bitcoin, but other, newer crypto coins where GPU mining is still "profitable".

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/488862/CodexXE069US_Desktop_Computer

Anyone know what the PSU is like on this? “Almost” seems like a good price based on what GPUs are going for

https://www.msi.com/pdf/presale/Codex-XE

AC Adapter / PSU 850W 80 Plus Platinum certified /550W 80 Plus Bronze certified

Figure the 550w since it's not the SLI model.

Edit: Hmm, no mention of SLI in the datasheet like in previous models now that I look it over once more. Not sure.
(OK, no SLI because the board is a Z370-A Pro board)

Edit 2: Split might be 550w for the i5 and 850w for i7?

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 23, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Titan XPs are still at MSRP I guess

Yep, still on sale at Nvidia proper which is most likely keeping the price somewhat stable. But woof.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Was watching a Gamers Nexus video on YouTube. Apparently this is the going rate for this 1060 at Micro Center.

:eyepop:

160 bucks more than the 1070 Ti I bought last month. These are like 250-300 dollar cards :wtc:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

This might be relevant to people who are looking to build a machine and get a GPU at close to MSRP. NZXT started a pre-built service where you choose the parts and they build it and ship it out to you. The only fee I could see is a 99 dollar one that includes a 2 year warranty for all the parts that NZXT is going to handle for you rather than dealing with each manufacturer. Might not be the best option for everyone, but it may appeal to someone.

https://www.nzxt.com/bldnow

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

So, Micro Center will supposedly sell you a video card at MSRP if you are building a gaming system; In store only. Gonna go test this tomorrow. Have heard that they will only do it if you are buying other components and also that they don't care.

It was talked about a few pages back. Last I heard it was YMMV when they started the program but apparently some of the salespeople didn’t get the memo according to Gamers Nexus. Should be fine now but I don’t know what’s the minimum they’re looking for to get the reduced price.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Prime same day delivery should be illegal...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bad Llama posted:

Can I get advice on a prebuilt ITT, or is that frowned upon in this establishment?

Not really frowned upon currently given current DDR4 and GPU prices. It's probably your best bet for something affordable.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Housh posted:

I started to get into fortnite and want to talk to people while I play. I have a nice sound system hooked up to my PC and don't need to use a headset but do you guys recommend a simple mic? Are there mics that route the voice chat audio into a single earpiece so I can still hear the game on external speakers?

You can normally do this with most voice chat apps like Discord easily. Just a matter of telling the software what devices to use.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Khorne posted:

I didn't know it existed, but it's on the list now. It's $30 cheaper for no tempered glass window. Kinda sucks there's a 5.25 bay, but that's a real minor mark against it.

There's also a meshify c with no clear window!! Thanks Fractal for staying alright.

There’s other Define cases that do not have 5.25” bays at all like the Define C or S (if you’re into water cooling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dinosaur Satan posted:

I am trying to buy a gtx1080. The options for the one I'm considering are "Base clock 1607 MHz", "Boost Clock 1835 MHz", and "Boost Clock 1936 MHz". Is there some benefit to the latter options even if I have no interest in overclocking? Everything I can find online is either too basic and amounts to "it's a boost!" or is too technical for me.

Boost Clock is a factory set overclock that turns on by itself when there's a graphics load. You don't have to do anything. More boost clock would get you better performance. All the 1080's are going to have the same base clock (I think).