Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
opinions please: Going to sell off my old office/gaming tower and build something that will be portable enough to move from theater room to living room to VR racing sim cockpit (if I ever get the time to build one). I don't give a poo poo about 4k, just want rock solid 1080p gaming and the ability to upgrade the GPU once a significant improvement costs $500.

The only thing I don't like is the case, however I don't want to step down to miniITX. This seems like the best living room friendly case for a Micro ATX setup with full size GPU's. At roughly 1x1x1 feet it could be mistaken for a subwoofer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($321.99 @ PC Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($37.99 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($168.39 @ shopRBC)
Memory: GeIL EVO X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($132.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.17 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($555.41 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($83.99 @ PC Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($132.47 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1559.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-18 19:29 EST-0500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Filthy Monkey posted:

Looks pretty good. I have an aversion to tall ram, but I can't deny that one seems to be a good value for performance at the moment. I was going to suggest swapping out the 212 evo for a cryorig h7, but it doesn't seem to exist in Canada.

I was looking through the motherboard list one by one, hoping to find one similar in price that had ALC1220 for better audio, but the cheapest one was this. Might be more of a bump in price than you want to pay. It also has killer NIC cancer.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/kVZ2FT/gigabyte-ga-z270mx-gaming-5-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-z270mx-gaming-5
The cheapest board with ALC1220 and no NIC cancer is this one.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/BwH48d/asrock-z270m-extreme4-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z270m-extreme4
At that price I would probably suck it up and get the primo asus board, which also has ALC1220 and no cancer.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/WkRFf7/asus-strix-z270g-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-strix-z270g

So yeah, sticking with your current board is probably fine. At least it has an intel NIC.

I personally wouldn't buy a zotac card, but I admit it is probably more bias than something I can back in good fact. In all likelihood it is just fine.

Thanks for bringing my attention to those killer nic things. I had no clue what nic cancer was and had to search.

The sound card on the motherboard will be irrelevant as I will only be using HDMI out from the video card going to my receiver. Not sure about the VR headsets but I assume by the time I buy one the audio will be carried over HDMI or streamed wirelessly or whatever anyways.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dead Goon posted:

I have a Core V21 - it is deceptively massive.

Yikes. Can you or anyone else suggest a microATX case that is somewhat console sized and can accomodate a full size GPU (30+cm) ?

Or failing that should I do Mini ITX and a "mini" GTX 1070 ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't find a case I like in MicroATX. (thanks for all the suggestions btw)

If I instead go with miniITX that can accept a full size GPU, what are my limitations besides heat/overclocking ?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/j8M323/silverstone-case-sstrvz02bw

I really just don't want something under the TV that looks like a PC tower turned on its side, and the box style microATX is pretty big.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks to those who suggested the small form factor thread for my gaming box. After a quick read, gently caress that!

Worrying about all those things fitting is a headache I don't have time for.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there any reason to wait for ryzen pricing before ordering my new parts (kaby lake i5) ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can buy two GTX 980's (4gb) and an sli bridge for the price of a new GTX 1070. (600cdn).

Originally I wanted a 1070 for my new build. Talk me out of the slide setup unless it makes sense for more than benchmarks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Avail posted:

It's "practically" throwing money on fire to ever SLI at all honestly. Even attempting to stave off upgrading, your money is better spent saving for a newer card.

Even if you are that flush with cash to SLI new cards you would still be far better off putting that money into your retirement fund, or at least starting one.

Edit: I may be coming on a bit strong here but it's only because I hate seeing money wasted and there are very few scenarios where SLI remotely makes sense. Apologies in advance.

Haha no worries, thanks to you and the other replies. I don't even think any of the games I play benefit from sli (DooM, assetto Corsa).

Also not upgrading I'm building a new machine from scratch but the ol' lady says I can only spend $1500 because I already bought a travel trailer and a Wildcat X in the last year and I've only touched them twice and she thinks it will be the same for the game box. She's probably right.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a better page for price checking Canadian stores than PC parts picker ? I like PPP for making a build but I wonder if I'm not getting the best pricing...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't want to make a circus of RGB lighting in my case, but I think it would be handy to use the minimal lighting to display the temperature of the cpu/gpu.

The Thermaltake v21 cube doesn't have exterior lighting which I don't want anyways, what would be the simplest way to have a temperature controlled light that goes from say, blue when cold, white when around 80, and red when 90 (or whatever) ? Maybe this is just standard these days I don't know I havent built a gaming pc since the days of celeron mmx 300's overclocked to 450. Google searching has a lot of 4 year old info on DIY kits.

Edit: Is there such a thing as brown light ? Because then I could light it with brown accents and call it "Fart Box"

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 3, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I caught a news headline of leaked Vega benchmarks but didn't get a chance to read it and now can't find it. Anyways the 1080ti went on shelves yesterday. The Zotac founders edition is like $980 or so. The 1070 is around $520.

Any idea which one will be the better value for a VR racing sim setup ?

Oops those are Canadian funds.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alright fuckos. Gonna pull the trigger on new gaming PC today finally. I5-7600k or wait a couple weeks for ryzen 5 which will be an extra $20 over the 7600k.

I don't care about $20. But I don't want to invest in a cpu and mobo only to learn that it's 50% slower for the same cash if I wanted a couple weeks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Word. I'm pulling the trigger then, just holding off on the 1070 to see if the price drops.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ryuga Death posted:

Oh that's cool, does that mean I can use my PS4 controller with this PC without needing to buy anything else? I guess there's no reason not to get the Strix Z270E (the one that has built in wifi and bluetooth) over the Strix Z270F?

just fyi the ps4 controller works perfectly with a usb cord running to the pc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rant: Ordered everything from newegg.ca and filtered products only sold directly by newegg that ship from Canada. It was an extra $40 or so vs shopping around. No big deal. Well everything is showing up today except the Case and Mobo which ship from Ontario. So I'll have a stack of cool new parts but can't start assembly until the last 2 things show up. Would've preferred to assemble things a bit at a time when I had a spare minute.

Do any of you have an opinion on refurbished newegg videocards ?
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...EVGA-_-14487325
GTX 1070 for less that $450 cdn is a pretty decent price.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got a GTX 1070 from ncix Canada. $425 open box sale on a gugabyte g1 gaming 1070.

They posted it on to the website 2 seconds before I was about to order twin rx480's. I doublechecked 1070 prices one more time at like 11pm and saw it. Only 1 in stock.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I purchased a Asrock z270m pro4 motherboard http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z270M%20Pro4/

States it does crossfire but not sli. It has a single pci-e slot. How does it do crossfire ? I was thinking of adding a second gtx 1070 but I guess I can't.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Double Punctuation posted:

Huh? It has two slots. It's right there in the picture.

Oh I didn't realize they're both the fast slots. Can I do an SLI setup with that then ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nope. The second slot is really just an x4 that can hold x16 cards, and SLI needs two x8 slots.

Ok cool. So why can it do crossfire then ? Does it use some sort of splitter to turn the single x16 slot into 2 x8's ? For now I don't really care as a single 1070 will be fine for all my 1080p gaming, but eventually I want to have a solid VR cockpit. I guess I can either swap the mobo later on or do a crossfire setup or just wait until there is a 200% performance gap between the 1070 and whatever is new.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok got the new build up and running, but I'm having trouble overclocking the i5 7600k. I keep getting freezes at 4.6ghz and above.

My problem is this Asrock z270m pro4 doesn't come up in any search result guides.

Anyone know where I can get a walk through for overclocking ? There are too many settings that I'm not sure if they're are causing it to crash or not. I'd like 4.8ghz.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Update on overclocking: asrocks's website kinda sucks. Had to look at a different section to get the latest firmware.

Chose a pre baked 4.8ghz overclock setting, it runs it at 1.41 volts. Gonna run uniengine and go take a keto induced poo poo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the overclocking tips gentlemen. I haven't built a PC since I did a Celeron 300 overclocked to 450mhz. We didn't even need cpu heat sinks back then.

I used cpu-z's cpu stability utility (whatever it's called) and left it for a long time. Cpu temps peaked around 68. I will try backing the voltage down to 1.35 and see what happens.

Btw this isn't a 24/7 machine, it's a couple hours a week VR racing sim box. It will likely see less than 12 hours a month. Mostly using it for Dirt Rally in VR to keep my reflexes sharp over the winter for our summertime offroad racing events.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a downside to disabling the realtek audio chipset on my asus EDIT: ASROCK not asus z270 motherboard, and also disabling the onboard intel graphics ? I use hdmi out for video and audio off the gtx videocard, and for some reason windows keeps reinstalling the realtek drivers and system tray utility even though I "disabled" the device via device manager.

Edit 2 : The intel graphics gets disabled automatically when a pci-e gpu is installed.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 1, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stop trying to disable the drivers. There is zero benefit to doing this. Just install the latest drivers from Realtek's site, and don't gently caress with Device Manager. Disable the Realtek HD Audio Manager in Task Manager if you have OCD about it.

Chasing down an odd clipping issue with sound. Sounds like digital clipping. Disabled realtek chipset via bios and it seems to be fixed. Odd.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So my recently assembled system, a 250gb ssd is not enough, but I don't want to buy a 1tb ssd. I'm thinking of setting up the ssd as a cache drive using intel rapid storage utility and getting a 4tb hard disk drive.

Ok so would I get even further performance if the hard-disk was a hybrid ssd type ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So while I was waiting for my 1070 to show up, I grabbed a evga gtx 770 4gb classified off my brother to try out some games. I can claim that an i5-7600k @ 4.8ghz with a GTX 770 is about 30% faster than an i5-2400 with a GTX 960.

However, when I installed the 770 and powered it up, several big spiders came running out onto the assembly table. So I'd say all in all the i5-2400/gtx960 is a better setup overall, as the spider feature is a huge gimmick and not as fun as it sounds.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The GTX 1060 doesn't allow sli, the rx480 allows crossfire and is a good performance bargain in crossfire mode.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Userbenchmark is saying my Corsair vengeance led DDR 3000 ram is 75% performance of what it should be. Bios automatically sets xbr profile to 3000mhz.

It suggests that dual Channel isn't enabled. I have 2x8gb modules in slots 2 and 4.

Did I miss a bios setting ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Double check that your board doesn't use an A/B/A/B config over the usual A/A/B/B. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks. It's an asrock and does aabb. Also cpu-z reports its working as dual Channel.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just an FYI,

This is likely frowned upon because us hobbyists like to tweak and have control over everything. With that said, I set up my mechanical drive as my boot drive, and then I stalled my SSD as a cache drive using intel RST.

So I'm using a 3tb barricuda drive for my entire storage, and then Intel RST sets up a hidden 64gb partition for caching on my 250gb 850 Evo ssd.

The remaining 180gb or so on the ssd is set up as a partition that I can use with whatever game I want at the time.

Windows boots just like it was stored in an ssd, and games boot like that too after you've loaded them once or twice. As far as dollar per value, this setup would be hard to beat.

I can't tell a difference between this setup and when I was strictly using the ssd for all storage, except now I have lots of space.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It might feel and perform as if you've got a 3TB SSD, but as soon as you hit that 64GB wall it'll feel like you hit a *literal* wall, and the reason most people don't do it is because you're going from three potential points of failure (SATA controller, SATA port, and drive) to six (SATA controller, two SATA ports, SSD, HDD, and RST driver package).

I've been using it like this for about a week now and it's been good, however it's set up exclusively as a windows 10 steam box. As a result it's pretty easy to predict 4 or 5 programs I guess.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Khablam posted:

You're effectively using a 64Gb boot drive but don't have control over what is on it, so any programs you install outside of that and/or windows update changing files will cause performance issues. Browser and program cache/temp files will probably not land on the SSD enough to not be a point of slowness too.
64Gb also isn't enough to do this, and you'll run into competition issues with Windows/programs and large games etc.

I don't really see what this gets you.

Gets me 3+ terabytes of storage and ssd boot times, and never having to pull out a mouse or keyboard to manage files.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I really hope the 3TB Barracuda you're using for this isn't the ST3000DM001 model. If it is, you might want to keep pretty regular backups.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

Otherwise I'm not going to lean on you other than to say what's currently working for you is horrendously inefficient - but hey, if you're happy with it at present, that's all that matters.

LoL probably. I dunno it was rated high on Newegg. It's a game console it's fast and I'll probably lose interest by summer.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CFox posted:

I have no idea why'd you would do this vs setting up the SSD as the boot drive and having a separate 3gig driver for storage.

As explained, it's a game console without a keyboard or mouse hooked up, I don't want to manage files back and fourth from ssd, so I let the caching system do it, and it works really well, although I wish I could use the full drive capacity and not just 64gb.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I didn't realise that modular PSU's mean I don't have to have a huge mess of cords. This evga bronze 600 is nice bang for the buck but I sure wish I went modular.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a thread for discussing modern home routers ?

I'm going to put my Telus supplied DSL modem/router into bridge mode and run my own router off it.

Trying to decide between Google Wifi mesh setup or something like the TP-Link Archer c7. The Google mesh will be around $450 and the TP Link Archer would be $100. My house is 2 floors and around 2300sq ft.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thank you sir! I looked and looked but couldn't find it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My asrock z297 pro4 lets you overclock non-k CPU's

Edit: z270

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone take a look at this eBay listing and tell me if it's a scam or not ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122930426398

I'm not seeing any tell tale signs other than being cheap. Planning on delidding it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rexxed posted:

It seems like one of those scam listings you see on video cards a lot recently. Seller probably had their account hacked and the hackers will try to clear out the paypal before the fraud is noticed. Usually it's like:
1) item is too cheap and they have a large quantity
2) they haven't sold tech before
3) been inactive for a few months

If you buy it paypal will cover you if it's a scam but you're unlikely to get the product.

Thanks. I retracted the buy order. Odd that this works to clear out PayPal as I get a week's hold on deposits from eBay to PayPal