Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
My gtx 760 has been a trooper, but it's struggling with newer games and it's a blower that's loud as heck, so I'm looking to upgrade. The 6gb 1060 cards are in my price range, are the brands fairly interchangeable between EVGA/MSI/GIGABYTE/ASUS?

I'm looking at the ones that have 2 fans, for noise and heat, as I hate the noise of my 760, and the weather is going to get hot in the following months so the single fans may be a bit louder than I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Right now? No. Buttcoiners have spiralled GPU prices into the goddamned stratosphere, and while it's certainly possible to get a 1060 now for MSRP, you pretty much have to get lucky or stab someone who's camping out in your local electronics store since he's got Skippy the Stock Boy on his payroll. Also, RAM prices are at a high-water mark at the moment, and the DRAM producers seem to be enjoying the spoils of that, so prices aren't set to go down until sometime in 2018. Lastly, Intel's panic at AMD finally putting out something that in its second revision could prove to be something that's a credible threat to them means we're going to see consumer-focused six-core processors sooner rather than later, but this means the Z270 board will be the singlemost short-lived, least-upgradable chipset platform I think Intel's ever put out, unless the rumor is true that Coffee Lake will use Z370 and Cannonlake will use Z390.

But since a picture tells the story better than :words:, here's why it's really hard to put together a custom system right now:

I delayed buying a 1060 card a month ago and now I've just accepted that I'm not going to be upgrading anytime soon. At least at next summer's Steam sale maybe I will be able to get the more resource-intensive games for a little cheaper!

I wonder if I will have an easier time getting the newly announced SNES mini :pray: