Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

If you ever want to be good at the multiplayer I highly suggest sitting out all of the single player because it plays so vastly differently and you will have to unlearn everything. All RTS are the same way, this is no exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
I tried to play a game with whoever SonOfaDidly is in the group, but I got disconnected pretty early on and I'm not sure if it ever reconnected properly. I got bought out first on my end though by the yellow guy who steam rolled everything :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm sonof a diddly. I just got my poo poo pushed in like 4 times in a row. Still fun though

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
So last night I noticed sometimes I can scrap a building and take a claim back and sometimes I cant. I know one of the times was when I scrapped a wind turbine. Theres was no option to get back that claim and build elsewhere. I had to keep that spot. It this a bug or can only certain claims be reclaimed?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Efexeye posted:

Edit: That's kinda weird, weekends are FFA only and weekdays are 1v1 only, for ranked...hunh

Actually that's kind of genius. It's a population preservation method. That's something extremely important to niche multiplayer games.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
So are people just closing games they're losing or what?

Just had a random disconnect from a 4 player FFA.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

jBrereton posted:

So are people just closing games they're losing or what?

Just had a random disconnect from a 4 player FFA.

It's possible to realize pretty early on that you're screwed, maybe people are disconnecting rather than eat the loss?

EDIT: Also I gotta say I don't think this is a $40 game. Maybe $20.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Keystoned posted:

So last night I noticed sometimes I can scrap a building and take a claim back and sometimes I cant. I know one of the times was when I scrapped a wind turbine. Theres was no option to get back that claim and build elsewhere. I had to keep that spot. It this a bug or can only certain claims be reclaimed?

It's my understanding that you can't unclaim at all - once you have a tile, it stays yours for the whole game. Not quite sure what you experienced but it sounds like a bug happened somewhere.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
No I mean I personally disconnected for apparently no reason during a game, is that a lobby being closed or did I just lag out somehow?

e: wish there was a way to reconnect, I got a loss for it despite doing alright that game :/

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 7, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I have definitely sold back claims before. Not sure why you got disco'ed jB

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Maybe you can only sell back "standard" claims, not black market/auctioned ones?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I dunno, Googling around, I must be crazy. Looks you can demo the building on a claim but you're stuck with the tiles you choose. The first 30 seconds of this game is more important than the rest of it combined imho.

Danger Man
Jun 29, 2004

Someone is Liable to Get Hurt
You can sell back the claim if you haven't completed a building on it yet. And I think maybe you can do it on lower difficulties too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Efexeye posted:

I dunno, Googling around, I must be crazy. Looks you can demo the building on a claim but you're stuck with the tiles you choose. The first 30 seconds of this game is more important than the rest of it combined imho.

Yeah I get that impression too. There are definitely Top Spots on the map and if you don't get your HQ down before your opponents do you can really lose out.

In one of the alpha versions, there was this mode where the whole map is revealed but if you HQ too early, you're saddled with debt. There's a debt "countdown" so you can choose how much debt you start with, the payoff being that if you wait for a low figure, an opponent might take the plunge first and get a choicer spot on the map.

I assume that mode is still in the game for MP, but haven't checked.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah you can just check "start with map revealed" in your game lobby settings.

Another tip for newbies is, especially in 1v1s, don't be afraid to deliberately gently caress with your opponent / prevent your opponents from getting opportunities. Overproducing carbon or iron or something is a great way to give your opponent basically free building resources.

Also, goon squad your geothermal power stations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Danger Man posted:

You can sell back the claim if you haven't completed a building on it yet. And I think maybe you can do it on lower difficulties too.

I think it's a difficulty thing. It was a thing when I did the first training scenario on baby difficulty for sure and then I got confused when it wasn't there in multi-player.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
After figuring out how to auto-sell stuff, I won my first post-1.0 game against 3 AIs at the Manager level (it unlocked like 10 cheevos at once). Then I went online to play my first post-1.0 multiplayer game, and won a 4 man FFA (and unlocked another 5 cheevos). I rarely use the black market during AI games, but I kept on EMPing and demoing the same two guys over and over again and got a cool 920k from the Offworld. The only patent I grabbed was Slant Drilling, and I took advantage of someone else's claim and sold a poo poo load of silicon at 250$+.

I didn't build any iron mines or steel mills as scientific. I did farm some aluminum, but I went all-in on water, oxygen, fuel, and farms.

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 7, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah I get that impression too. There are definitely Top Spots on the map and if you don't get your HQ down before your opponents do you can really lose out.

In one of the alpha versions, there was this mode where the whole map is revealed but if you HQ too early, you're saddled with debt. There's a debt "countdown" so you can choose how much debt you start with, the payoff being that if you wait for a low figure, an opponent might take the plunge first and get a choicer spot on the map.

I assume that mode is still in the game for MP, but haven't checked.
Still in there for MP.

Whole map's revealed and you get potentially a massive penalty for firing early (especially since debt is calculated different now) as well as a teeny stock price, while late starters get a couple extra claims.

Does depend a lot on what's on the Black Market as to how important it is, too. If there's bribed claims in, it's tempting to get in there early and get your economy going quicker and better, then buy out as many claims as is reasonable.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Two multiplayer games in a row where it just spins at the loading screen Waiting For Other Players...

ugh

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Phone posted:

Two multiplayer games in a row where it just spins at the loading screen Waiting For Other Players...

ugh

No way to back out except to kill it in the taskbar either, ugh

for ranked, anyway

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

attackmole posted:

I think it's a difficulty thing. It was a thing when I did the first training scenario on baby difficulty for sure and then I got confused when it wasn't there in multi-player.

I think this is it. I'm working through the training missions so I'm slowly climbing in difficulty and I bet that's what happened.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I unintentionally checked what you're talking about in a skirmish game.

If you use a claim, but don't build on it, you can return it. You can issue an order to build something on it, but you can cancel it since there's a ship that flies from your HQ, and then refund the claim.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phone posted:

After figuring out how to auto-sell stuff, I won my first post-1.0 game against 3 AIs at the Manager level (it unlocked like 10 cheevos at once). Then I went online to play my first post-1.0 multiplayer game, and won a 4 man FFA (and unlocked another 5 cheevos). I rarely use the black market during AI games, but I kept on EMPing and demoing the same two guys over and over again and got a cool 920k from the Offworld. The only patent I grabbed was Slant Drilling, and I took advantage of someone else's claim and sold a poo poo load of silicon at 250$+.

I didn't build any iron mines or steel mills as scientific. I did farm some aluminum, but I went all-in on water, oxygen, fuel, and farms.

One of the most important things I think a new player can learn is that you don't need to produce everything in a chain of materials if it's cheap. If a resource is rock bottom you should absolutely not produce it, though you might want to produce the finished good using it.

Imperialism at a high level requires this level of strategy too(I wish civ hadn't absolutely overtaken it). Your resource extraction is nowhere near as good as the AI's, so you end up having to buy raw resources off the market to use in your factories. Most new players just use their factories with domestic raw production, but that's inefficient compared to over-expansion of industry and using bought and sold resources to make up the difference.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
If anyone else wants to get in on the two-pack with me, send me a PM. I've had my eye on this for a while, and since it seems like it left early access and doesn't suck, for 50% off why the hell not.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Some other noobie tips to get out of other rts-induced habits, like destroying your own buildings being good to do:
- Remember you don't have to build the supply chain for a given advanced resource. If a prerequisite is cheap, just buy it as long as you keep turning profit.
- Processing poo poo into more advanced forms is not always profitable. Keep tabs on the market prices.
- When you get all the patents you wanted to have or block, just grab an optimization lab rather than maxing the techs just because.

Also, while an offworld market is essential in late game, a second one might be more of a liability than its worth. Always play to your opponent!

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
The singleplayer campaign experience is vastly different and has different objectives, but it is still fun to play IMO. Having the overall strategy layer of picking your upgrades is fun. In campaign, your buildings work 1/3rd the speed of skirmish/mp games so it more important to win with low debt and simply being close to the winner as possible, you shouldn't go 250k into debt simply to win that "round" because it will hurt you. Debt is first paid off by the funds you get per week, and that is used to get bonuses like starting with a free wind turbine or upgrading your farm production. You can always come back later as long as you don't fall too much behind.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I have an extra key to sell from the 2 pack, PM me if you want it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is getting annoying; I've only been able to play 1 multiplayer game and I want to play so bad. :(

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
There is also this aspect of playing where you want to not only make profit, but also undercut your opponent. For example, if you see your opponent building glass, use "black market" purchases to destroy or steal their silicon production while buying up a bunch of silicon for yourself. This will make your opponents glass factories worthless when the price of silicon skyrockets. If your opponent attempts to stay with glass, then they raise the price on it and you can sell at a profit. If your opponent switches off of glass to something else, then they lose their investment and you can resell silicon for minor profit/loss or switch into glass yourself.

Lichtenstein posted:

- Remember you don't have to build the supply chain for a given advanced resource. If a prerequisite is cheap, just buy it as long as you keep turning profit.

Also, you can buy up a bunch of the resource in advance to prevent your opponents from taking advantage of the cheap precursor as well. If they then start producing the precursor, then they drive the price back down for you. Moreover, your driving down the price of the advanced production to prevent them from producing that too.

twig1919 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 8, 2016

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I've got a gift copy of this if anybody wants one. I tried to tell myself I didn't want to play this game but drat it I wanna buy some patents.

Edit- Sent

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 9, 2016

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

reignofevil posted:

I've got a gift copy of this if anybody wants one. I tried to tell myself I didn't want to play this game but drat it I wanna buy some patents.

I'd be interested! Soren Johnson is awesome and this sounds cool and weird.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Does the multiplayer have a habit of failing to connect, or am I currently try to play against multiple people playing on potatoes?

Decided to finally try the multi, waited for 10 minutes in a skirmish, finally gets one, and it has been sitting on the "waiting for other players" screen for a solid two minutes now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've only successfully played 1 multiplayer game. I think it's broken; I sent Soren a tweet... and he liked it? There's also a thread on the forums, so hopefully it gets addressed soon.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Yeah I gave up on that one and actually found a lobby and joined that fine.

Winning my first online game, even if it wasn't on ranked, felt nice.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I'd be interested! Soren Johnson is awesome and this sounds cool and weird.

Game is cool and very unlike anything else I've played before, thanks dude!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

I was watching Zultar this morning and he said that the next patch has some stuff to address the matchmaking issues, whenever that is.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I played the crap out of this when it first went open access and really enjoyed it. There weren't enough players to make it worth sticking to at the time. Hopefully the player base is a bit better.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Having officially given this a try I can say that it is a bunch of fun! One thing I was really impressed with was how well the AI does with figuring out which buildings it needs to protect from you. Maybe I am just a sucker for the perfect-placement but I often find the AI is one step ahead of me.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

If you haven't yet done so, I strongly advise reading the almanac. Tons of great info in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassbottle
Aug 15, 2003
Witty one-liner.
Has anyone taken the time to watch any of the daily challenge replays? The top person today beat the map on the second Sol. I watched the first little bit of the replay, there seemed to be a bug that allowed the player to get several hundred thousand dollars right away. Has anyone else seen or experienced this?

• Locked thread