Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Watch this space for a Mastigos Guardian of the Veil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Malgis

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/45011?message=true

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.-William Henley

"I know, I'm an arsehole. That's what you were thinking, wasn't it? Don't worry. I've been called worse. Please, be comfortable. A drink? I've got beer and whiskey here. No? Good. Don't touch alcohol myself. So, here we are. Ah, how rude. I know you knew me as Brother Adain Firedrake, but the name's Maugris. Now, lets talk about the visions."

"So, I don't have to say it, but a lot of what we taught you, before, was crap. Oh, not all of it. You really can use crystals to focus magical power, for instance, if you're so inclined, and there are fairy princes out there, although I wouldn't want to touch one. Still, most of that was just to keep people busy and distracted; to keep YOU busy and distracted, until we could be sure you were talented. I know you're angry right now. I know you feel hurt, betrayed. It comes off you like the stench off a wet dog. I don't apologize for it, though. It was necessary. Why? Let me tell you my story, and maybe you can understand."

"I'm Irish. The accent gives that away, doesn't it? Born in Derry. Came here later. Derry wasn't the best place to be a poor Catholic lad, but still, by the time I was growing up, most of the trouble was over in Belfast, and stuff in Derry had quieted down some. Still, the family was poor. My da didn't work steady...mostly shift work, and when he didn't work he'd drink, and when he drank he'd get quick with his fists. My luck I've got a hard head. So I didn't have the most stable home life, you might say. But I went to school, got out. Built my own life up, didn't I? Left everything behind. Set up a new life on my own. I got a medical degree, became a psychiatrist, moved to London Life was finally mine to enjoy."

"Things started off slowly. You'd have a drink with dinner, and then one with lunch, and then one with breakfast. I blamed it on the stress. It was hard being in London on my own. Work got busier and busier, and the alcohol helped me deal with it. That's what I said, anyway. I would drink more and more. I had it under control, or so I said. That was when I started going down my path; my path to Awakening. I won't go into too much detail; but suffice it to say it was a matter of overcoming it or going mad."

"Some do go mad, though. Some go mad, and some go bad, and there needs to be someone to protect the rest of us, both mages and sleepers.; hell, protect the whole world. That's what I do, and that's what I think you can do too. I'm not going to lie to you. It won't be easy, but there's no better thing that you can do. So, lets talk some more about you..."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We all wear masks: to hide our true selves from the world, to show others what we wish them to know about us, what we wish we were. Behind the middle class professional is the boy from a poor family still smarting at the memory and desperate for respectability. Behind the prim therapist who so dispassionately listens to his patients tell him about their problems is the recovering alcoholic who had kept that a secret for years, building a successful practice while he let his life go to hell. Behind the narrow face of practical and skeptical John Mahoney is the brave wizard Maguris, protector of London. Yes, we all wear masks to show the world what we wish to be. But the danger with a mask is that, if we're not careful, we'll come to confuse the seeming with the true self, and who we are will be lost.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Mentor is probably a little strong, but the person who "taught Maugris the ropes" and such is the Thrysus who goes by Sister Titania, a fellow Guardian who's the leader of the Children of Dawn. Soon after he awakened, she found him, taught him the basics of being a mage, and initiated him into the Guardians of the Veil. It's not a traditional mentor-student relationship. While they respect each other as colleagues and John is grateful to her for what she did for him, and will gladly help her if she needs it, they have their own lives, and other than strategizing about the Children of the Dawn and a monthly get together for coffee and gossip, they're not particularly close.

Sister Titania gives off a very matronly earth-mother vibe; the type who wears only cruelty-free clothing and only eats organic vegetables, who'll talk your ear off about how we're polluting the earth and it has to stop. (She's been remarkably unsuccessful so far in getting Maugris to go vegan.) She also comes across as a genuinely nice woman; one who will gladly help anyone in need, and who can't stand to see someone else in trouble if she can help. This has led people to underestimate her or to assume she's somehow weak or too nice to be dangerous. This is a mistake. Sister Titania has mastery over both Spirit and Life and is willing to do whatever it takes to protect those she cares about and the innocent.

Maugris is primarily in the cabal for his protection. As self-sufficient as he prides himself as being, London is no place for a mage on his own.

• Locked thread