Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

Highwang posted:

I think for me it might be a clash of mindsets since I played the Wii version first. The dub from Marvelous(?) didn't really portray kisuke as a violent or rude person, so it feels like an abrupt shift to see him like this.

That's an entirely fair viewpoint, and goes back to individual choices the translator makes. I don't know if it being on a Nintendo console influenced those choices, but it very well could have.

Chimera-gui posted:

Admittedly I was generalizing when I said that since I can see a character in a franchise meant for an older audience being more inclined to use vulgar language. The kind of inappropriate levels of vulgar language I was talking about was the stuff in a more PG series like the one in the video I linked.

Also fair. A clever translator can modify language as needed, since the Japanese basically stays the same. The voice of the character in translation should match the tone of both the character in the original language and the content. So some guy screaming "baka-yarou" in a much more child-oriented show could (and should) be translated more along the lines of "stupid idiot" than "dumbass" even though both are accurate.

Translation! :v:

Omobono posted:

I think Jinkuro didn't kill Momohime's fiancée. Isn't he Yukinojo? What happened is that when Jinkuro tried his body steal technique on the guy Momohime shielded Yukinojo and got swapped instead.

This is correct. Yukinojo appears several times.

General Video Stuff: Muramasa is indeed set in the Edo Period, when the Tokugawa Shogunate reigns over Japan. This is when Edo/modern day Tokyo was first being established as the place in Japan as the seat of the Shogunate, even though the capital/Imperial seat was still Kyoto.

On whippersnapper: There are a lot of diminutive terms for children/young people in Japanese. I'd have to hear the entire line to tell you what word, if any, was used, but the idea of an old priest calling someone a whippersnapper isn't too out of line.

On the haiku: This is an amusing nod that you really only get if you're into Japanese literature and poetry, but the poem that is used is a very famous haiku by poet Matsuo Basho. It's arguably his most famous poem and one that is, at least according to NHK, the most widely known Edo haiku.

On music: Pretty much the entire soundtrack is amazing. My personal favorite is Seasonal Beauties (雪月風化). This term refers to the four beauties that inspire the best poetry: the snow in winter, the moon of autumn, the wind of summer, and the flowers of spring.

On Musashi: the old province of Musashi is a part of the modern-day Tokyo metropolis. It includes, if memory serves, Yoshiwara (where this video ends), which remains one of the primary red light districts of Tokyo, host to the majority of soaplands in the city.

On Yagyuu Shinkage: "Shadow Slay" isn't an accurate translation. 新影 is, as a rough translation, "New Shadow". It was originally developed as Shinkage Style, but when it was passed down to Yagyuu Munetoshi, he appended his name to it.

Akujiki fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I think there is some technical stuff in how each translation is managed. I remember the Wii version was only able to display 2 lines of text at a time in subtitles, while this updated version is able to increase that to 3. As a writer, that gives you a lot more leeway in what you are able to express at a dialogue level. More room for personality and flourish in places where you might have had to cut words out just to fit things in.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I literally ate not 2 minutes before you got to the rest stop. And then you had the food. AND NOW I'M HUNGRY.

THANKS, JERK!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Akujiki posted:

I dunno, one of the later bosses here kinda shows where Vanillaware's mind was at for some of that stuff.

See also Velvet from Odin Sphere.

Every artist knows there's no shame in enjoying some titillation now and then. Appreciation of the human body in all it's forms combined with artistic exaggeration and all that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Frankly I like both of the fox ladies designs, Kongiku is very obviously trying to attract Jinkuro's attention whereas on the opposite side Yuzihara is totally uninterested in humans and only approaches Kisuke cause he's good at killing poo poo and also happens to have acquired a Demon blade. On top of that, they are both wearing little leaves to indicate they've transformed using fox magic which is a pretty neat touch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm surprised that, after the last LP, your friends aren't already here to torment you further by vehemently getting off topic as you try to explain game mechanics.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm surprised that, after the last LP, your friends aren't already here to torment you further by vehemently getting off topic as you try to explain game mechanics.

None of my friends are interested in this game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Highwang posted:

What fools.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rancor

Same thing basically.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Highwang posted:

Why not this game is pretty as hell.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Today marks probably the least visually impressive but most satisfying to fight boss in the game.

Also a few notes:
-Vids will now start featuring input from YT/SA comments about lore, so thanks for contributing everyone.
-I want to make on of those table of contents images that is an image dissected into various parts, but I don't know how I'd pull that off in GIMP. If anyone can help me out there that'd be rad.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Highwang posted:

-I want to make on of those table of contents images that is an image dissected into various parts, but I don't know how I'd pull that off in GIMP. If anyone can help me out there that'd be rad.

I could probably handle something like that. Since you don't have PMs here, DM me on Twitter with the details.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The young monk, Ikkyu, is named after the Historic monk of the same name.

And if you used a longsword then you wouldnt have fallen so often :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 14, 2016

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ikkyu is great. He was a drunk and (to a certain degree, if memory serves) whoremonger. Basically like the worst kind of priest, who still managed to walk very far down the path of priesthood.

On Iga: Iga Province is where current-day Iga City is, located in Mie Prefecture. It's home to the Iga Ninja Museum, but also to the Iga-Ueno Castle, which has the tallest walls of any castle in Japan.

God I forgot about this boss fight. I hate it, but that might be because I've dealt with oversized mukade (not building-sized) and they terrify me. It's not particularly hard, I just can't stand centipedes.

Akujiki fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 14, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kite ninjas.
Kusarigami ninjas you bait, roll in and go to town (kinda hard in that room but still), bomb ninjas are bloody annoying but ultimately just a nuisance.
gently caress KITE NINJAS.

We also agree on this boss being very, very fun. You chop a part off and here's the fantastic chain reaction of centipede parts flying out, souls flying in, and your swords chopping even more parts.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Akujiki posted:

Ikkyu is great. He was a drunk and (to a certain degree, if memory serves) whoremonger. Basically like the worst kind of priest, who still managed to walk very far down the path of priesthood.

That's actually a fitting parallel considering how Rankai is thirsting for revenge against Jinkuro to the point of exploiting his monastic teachings. I wonder if yong Ikkyu being in the game is a cheeky reference or speculating with history?

Also for anyone who cares, OP has been updated with a fancy new table of contents that I had to wrestle GIMP to the ground in order to make.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Highwang posted:

Also for anyone who cares, OP has been updated with a fancy new table of contents that I had to wrestle GIMP to the ground in order to make.
Are you aware that you put Momohime's TOC in front of Kisuke's background, and Kisuke's TOC in front of Momohime's background?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

FractalSandwich posted:

Are you aware that you put Momohime's TOC in front of Kisuke's background, and Kisuke's TOC in front of Momohime's background?

...No. I went off the character-select screen which had Momo on the left and Kisuke on the right. Looking back on footage though I just notice that the characters swap places during the transition of japanese characters to character select.

I'm not sure how to fix this, mainly because mirroring it would be stupid. Can't just flip text either since it might confuse the readers outright. Might have to change the background image, unless others have ideas they wanna pitch.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well, you can always just leave it as it is and hope no-one else notices.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Well, you can always just leave it as it is and hope no-one else notices.

Could also just claim that you're embracing the culture of the LP and everything should be viewed from right to left. :)

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

If you do want to change the background image, there's a frame just before the character select menu opens where the characters' names are visible, and on the correct sides, but none of your save data appears. They're both in tall shadow boxes, but if that's not too big a deal, it might work.

Never got around to playing this myself, on Wii. Enjoying the run so far.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The easiest way to deal with the ghosts is to let it spawn the fireballs with your guardbreak ready to fire. Right as the first fireball is about to reach you, let the guardbreak fly and it'll wreck everything while leaving you unscathed.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Heck, I just ended up auto-guarding everything (and consequently breaking all my swords) because I tend to leave the attack button pressed.

One thing I really loved about the control scheme is how intuitive it all is. Forget your guard breaks and air dashes, all you have to do is point at the thing you want to die and Momo will just kinda zip to it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

One of Momohime's many awesome boss fights is now live, and all your guys' research is starting to bear fruit!

Thanks for the help so far, let's keep this weaboo-train rolling.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The Edo period came after the Warring States periods - it was actually pretty peaceful, and only occasionally interrupted by things like peasant uprisings and the mass execution of Christians.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I gotta say, my eye twitches whenever you mention kung fu in regards to this game. Still, enjoying this LP a lot. Muramasa on Vita made public transit tolerable and it's nice to experience it again from a different angle.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

FractalSandwich posted:

The Edo period came after the Warring States periods - it was actually pretty peaceful, and only occasionally interrupted by things like peasant uprisings and the mass execution of Christians.

Yeah to give a basic timeline, the Edo Period was from 1603 to 1868 while the Meiji Period was 1868 to 1912. You're correct about Rurouni Kenshin being set during the Meiji Period though, specifically it was set during the 11th year of that period.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 18, 2016

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The flaming wheel within a wheel that you mentioned is from the Old Testament - it's not just a Christian thing it's a judeo-christian and islamic thing. It's also why angels in the bible tend to start off with bellowing out "BE NOT AFRAID" to the terrified person that they're speaking to.

There's also the one that's basically covered in eyes, with eyes in the spaces between the eyes. And the one that's got four faces, one of which is a lion.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

The wheels on fire covered in eyes are called "Ophanim." They are the wheels of God's chariot in Ezekiel's vision. Aside from that things get muddy. I doubt this needs to come up again though, since we're past Wanyudo in the plot; just thought you'd like the info.

That Wasp Swarm technique is something else. Does a number on boss HP, for sure. I'm guessing it's not on a ton of swords, though.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I watched a speed run of this game once and one of the more interesting aspects about the bossfights that I learned watching the run is that the amount of health they have is inversely proportional to how quickly you do damage to them. It looks like the large bar at the bottom of the screen has the same amount of health regardless of how long you take, but once you empty it, the smaller bar above will decrease by a percentage amount based on how long you took.

Also, Powerful Looking is probably my favorite of the boss themes. I'm especially looking forward to Kisuke's boss fight. As a whole I think Kisuke's bosses are better on average, but Momohime's chapter 7 boss is my favorite by far.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

This is nitpicking a bit for general purposes, but Momohime, as written, cannot translate to Peach Princess - rather, the character 百 is read in her name as Momo, which is a homophone for peach. It's a logographic pun. If you want to explore the amazing world of logographic puns, China Digital Times has an amazing lexicon of Chinese puns.

On the haiku: it's not that it was the most influential piece of literature, it's that as far as Matsuo Basho's haikus, and of haikus in the Edo period itself are concerned, that's the most famous one.

Of interest is Jinkuro mentioning Yukinojo's status as the "personal swordmaster of the shogun's family". After Yagyuu Munetoshi created Yagyuu Shinkage Style (basically name changing the Shinkage Style he learned), he taught it to his son, Yagyuu Munenori, who established the school in Edo. He eventually became the tutor of Ieyasu's son Hidetada - making the Yagyuu Shinkage Style the shogun's official style of kenjutsu. It's a pretty high honor, as you might imagine (as well as a strong position of influence). Yukinojo, here, has inherited that position for the shogunate.

Akujiki fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 18, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You mentioned a few videos ago that bad habit. I can't remember how I beat the game on the Wii years ago, but I remember it being fairly tedious for the payoff. I must have cheesed it.

dude789 posted:

I watched a speed run of this game once and one of the more interesting aspects about the bossfights that I learned watching the run is that the amount of health they have is inversely proportional to how quickly you do damage to them. It looks like the large bar at the bottom of the screen has the same amount of health regardless of how long you take, but once you empty it, the smaller bar above will decrease by a percentage amount based on how long you took.

Speaking of esoteric game mechanics... any hope of you finishing Red?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Akujiki posted:

Of interest is Jinkuro mentioning Yukinojo's status as the "personal swordmaster of the shogun's family". After Yagyuu Munetoshi created Yagyuu Shinkage Style (basically name changing the Shinkage Style he learned), he taught it to his son, Yagyuu Munenori, who established the school in Edo. He eventually became the tutor of Ieyasu's son Hidetada - making the Yagyuu Shinkage Style the shogun's official style of kenjutsu. It's a pretty high honor, as you might imagine (as well as a strong position of influence). Yukinojo, here, has inherited that position for the shogunate.
Interesting piece to know for a way later update.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Regarding Torahime's design, pay attention to what she (and Kisuke) say. She's leading ghost samurai to war against the shogun, atop a horse.

Reminds me an awful lot of Three Kingdoms Cao Cao, which means to me that her design is basically 'Archer Priestess who has donned the guise of a Samurai Warlord.' And that helmet is 110% Samurai Warlord, only missing the face mask.

It is exaggerated, but it ties in to the armored waist and skirt (of which the skirt is not standard Archer Priestess accoutrement.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 21, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The little yellow goblin things are named as "gaki" on the official website, and the blue fleshy things as "nuppebo".

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

FractalSandwich posted:

The little yellow goblin things are named as "gaki" on the official website, and the blue fleshy things as "nuppebo".

Funnily enough, I remember the gaki from the LP of Blood Will Tell: Tezuka Osamu's Dororo that Fiendly made a few years back.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

All right, stuff to start with: The word you're looking for with regard to Ikkyu isn't really "evil" or anything like that. He wasn't a bad person, so much as he was just a really bad priest. Keep in mind that when talking about Japanese religion, we're mainly speaking of Buddhism (state Shinto became a thing much later.) In indulging himself in liquor and women - and thus indulging himself in ties to the physical - he's technically acting counter to what he should be seeking as a priest, ie enlightenment.

On Owari: a former province that became part of Aichi Prefecture, and includes the city of Nagoya, one of Japan's major ports and the third largest city in Japan. It's also the province where Oda Nobunaga would begin his rise to power.

On mode names: Musou 無双 means "peerless". Makes sense for a mode where you can run roughshod over everything, and is also probably a nod to KOEI-Tecmo's long running Warriors series, which in Japanese also runs under the title "Musou", ie Sangoku Musou for Dynasty Warriors, or Sengoku Musou for Samurai Warriors. Shura 修羅 is the Japanese word for Asura. Fury mode is actually called Shikyou 死狂 which, roughly translated, means "death madness" or "death craze". It actually scales according to Legend, but with the 1 HP caveat.

On the skeletal warriors: they're, from what I've found looking around, called Shikon 士魂, or the souls of samurai.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

FractalSandwich posted:

Good to finally have names for those little goblin assholes gently caress. Also yeah, nuppebo is confirmed the blue thing we fought earlier.

Also, to keep any viewers that are bored at work safe, I have added a warning to the thread OP and now mentioning this series is technically NSFW due to some of the later god designs and, more specifically, the hot-tub scenes. Don't want you guys getting fired over LP afterall.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just a request but later on in the LP, could you make a compilation of clips just of cooking and eating the variety of food in the game? Top results of searches for food porn of this game is usually old and from the Wii, or super janky Vita clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Argas posted:

Just a request but later on in the LP, could you make a compilation of clips just of cooking and eating the variety of food in the game? Top results of searches for food porn of this game is usually old and from the Wii, or super janky Vita clips.
Was actually debating doing that during editing, now I gotta convince a few friends to commentate on this video during a grill-out or something.

• Locked thread