Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Platform: PC
Steam group: Dawn Goons
Discord: https://discord.gg/eGyn5tz

What is Dawn of War?

Dawn of War is Relic's RTS series with tactical elements from games like XCOM and Commandos. It's set in Games Workshop's Warhammer 40.000 universe.

Dawn of War 1 simplified RTS combat by making everything about squads. Instead of churning out units one by one from a building, you could reinforce existing squads at any time to replace the guys that had died. You built a base, and the fighting took place around resource and capture nodes that you held to win by tickets. There was a basic cover system. Squads had a morale meter separate from their HP. Individuals in a squad had special kill animations when finishing off opposing units. The singleplayer campaign wasn't much different from playing multiplayer against the AI.

The DoW1 races were Space marines, Chaos, Eldar, Orks, Imperial Guard, Tau, Necrons, Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar.

In Dawn of War 2, the base building was reduced. Squads were smaller than in DoW1, didn't have morale and could only be reinforced in your base or near units like troop transports. The cover system was improved with directional cover. Finishing moves were limited to hero kills and super units. There were three distinct modes. The campaign where you controlled a a small group of units and squads who got loot and experience, and you could play it co-op. The multiplayer where you fought over resource nodes in squad based combat, with an emphasis on squad preservation and tactical retreats because your guys leveled up throughout the match. The Last Stand, a 3 player horde mode with persistent levels and unlocks, where you survive as long as possible controlling only one hero each. TLS also exists as a stand-alone game with shared matchmaking to DoW2 TLS.

The DoW2 races were Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, Orks, Imperial Guard and Tyranids. TLS had the same races along with Tau and Necrons.

What's new in DoW3?

Super walkers, bigger armies, DoW2 type heroes, no loot, some base building, campaign skips between races, simplified cover system without directional cover, no sync kills, no morale, no retreat button, no TLS and MOBA inspired multiplayer. The last part sounds way worse than it is. Multiplayer is still a full on RTS, just with lanes.

Their actual multiplayer pitch:
"It's like a MOBA where you control everyone!"
:commissar:

The DoW3 races are: Space Marines, Eldar and Orks.

Warhammer 40K crash course.

"IT IS THE 41ST MILLENIUM AND THERE IS ONLY WAR. AND IT'S loving AWESOME WAR I'M TALKING 10FT TALL GENETIC SUPERMEN PUNCHING ORKS. THESE AREN'T YOUR lovely ARSE TOLKEIN ORKS EITHER. THESE BASTARDS ARE GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FROM MUSHROOMS TO KILL EVERYTHING. THEIR GUNS WORK BECAUSE THEY THINK THEY DO. THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND.

SO ANYWAY. YOU'RE A GENETIC FREAK OF A SUPERMAN. YOUR ARMOUR IS OLDER THAN MOST OF THE PEOPLE STILL ALIVE IN THE UNIVERSE. IT HAS SEEN MORE WAR THAN EVERY MAN IN YOUR SQUAD COMBINED. IT IS MADE OF poo poo THAT TANKS ARE MADE OF. YOUR SWORD IS MADE OF CHAINSAWS AND WILL CUT poo poo UP.

OH gently caress I DIDN'T EVEN TELL YOU ABOUT YOUR GUN. YOUR GUN IS A MACHINE GUN. THAT FIRES ROCKETS, MINIATURE ROCKETS. THESE THINGS ARE CASELESS ROUNDS THAT ARE SO BADASS THEY PRODUCE CASES WHEN THEY ARE FIRED. WHEN THEY HIT A TARGET THEY DON'T JUST PENETRATE THEY PENETRATE THEN EXPLODE. A SINGLE SHOT AND YOU WILL BLOW A MANS HEAD OFF. EACH BULLET IS THE LENGTH OF YOUR MIDDLE FINGER AND TWICE AS THICK. EVERY TIME YOU FIRE A SHOT YOU ARE FLICKING THE BIRD AT THE ENEMY WITH EXPLOSIONS.

SO IN SUMMARY, YOU ARE A GENETIC SUPERMAN ARMOURED IN A WALKING TANK ARMED WITH A GIANT CHAINSAW AND A ROCKET LAUNCHER THAT SHOOTS FLYING FINGERS OF gently caress YOU AT A RACE THAT BREEDS BY DYING AND MAKES poo poo WORK BY THINKING IT DOES.

GOOD LUCK.

EAT IT!"
~some goon poet

What it looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ8Zsf9aDAk

Multiplayer elites:

Fetterkey posted:

Space Marines:
Kill-Team Ironmaw (versatile ranged squad, 2 EP)
Librarian Jonah Orion (support caster, good for trapping enemies and helping allies escape, 3 EP)
Chapter Master Gabriel Angelos (melee tank with lots of disruption, 4 EP)
Chaplain Diomedes (melee and shooting, buffs nearby allies with special melee attacks, 4 EP)
Terminator Squad (shooting heavy infantry squad, can teleport and launch missiles, 6 EP)
Assault Terminator Squad (melee heavy infantry squad, very tanky, can teleport, 7 EP)
Venerable Dreadnought (shooting/melee walker, can overcharge its plasma cannon for a big blast at the cost of overheating and becoming slowed, 7 EP)
Imperial Knight Paladin (shooting/melee super walker, powerful chainsword attacks, 9 EP)
Imperial Knight Solaria (shooting only super walker, various nukes, 10 EP)

Da Orkz:
Stormboyz (jump melee squad, 2 EP)
Weirdboy Zappnoggin (glass cannon ranged nuker, 3 EP)
Da Kommando (stealthy crowd control hero, 3 EP)
Warboss Gorgutz (melee tank, can spin to damage and slow nearby enemies and deflect shots, 4 EP)
Big Mek Wazmakka (support character, creates scrap and builds temporary turrets, 4 EP)
Meganobz (heavy infantry squad with various abilities, 6 EP)
Mad Dread (melee walker with big drills, can build tunnels, 7 EP)
Beauty Da Morkanaut (shooting/melee super walker, creates forcefields to protect allies, 9 EP)
Gorkanaut (shooting/melee super walker, can launch its rocket fist into orbit and pull down an asteroid to crush its opponents (!!!) 9 EP)

Eldar
Striking Scorpions (stealth melee hunter squad, 2 EP)
Farseer Macha (nuker, has a spear she can throw and has abilities that trigger based on its position, 3 EP)
Ranger Ronahn (powerful sniper/scout hero, 3 EP)
Jain Zar (melee assassin, damaging and fast but somewhat vulnerable, 4 EP)
Warp Spiders (teleporting ranged squad, 5 EP)
Autarch Kyre (melee hero, can start flying like a skimmer and drop grenades on enemies, 5 EP)
Wraithlord (melee walker, can teleport other Wraith units to itself, 7 EP)
Wraithknight (shooting only super walker, 9 EP)
Wraithknight Taldeer (melee only super walker, can imprison enemies in stasis, 9 EP)

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The Imperium of Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 5, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's a cool look for the Eldar.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Orv posted:

That's a cool look for the Eldar.

It's very alien. Definitely like it.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Game won't be good until Tau and IG are in.

But seriously, I hope this doesn't suck, huge armies are a welcome return. I seriously hope they bring back the awesome DOW2 co op.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the graphics look like a drat mobile game and they say they're aiming for a casual audience, what a fail

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

That would thrill the Warhammer Chess devs.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Eldar went all Dark Souls there. And I like it. Previous imagining of them looked too plasticy and now they have proper bone/stone look.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Unless it has that sweet, sweet DoW 2 coop action, I don't care.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Trying to make the game more like DoW1 when DoW2 was better in every possible way is insane.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
Eldar look like they are channeling Beksiński

e: VVV :c00lbert:

Squido fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 3, 2016

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

That eldar art looks really familiar. Reminds me of Zdzislaw Beksinski.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 3, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lassitude posted:

Trying to make the game more like DoW1 when DoW2 was better in every possible way is insane.

This is so wrong. DoW2 was such a piece of poo poo.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I think they look slightly Geiger-esk, because they are aliens; so Geiger, because Alien.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Definitely like the way the Eldar look. I do hope they don't abandon all of 2 though, since I really like DoW2 and its expansions. The way they played, especially in the campaigns, was really fun.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Ah, goddamnit. I was hoping that the Imperial Guard ending of Retribution would be the canon ending but if that dullard Angelos is still alive then I guess they went with the Space Marine ending instead.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
DoW II had a fantastic campaign; I pity anyone who was excited for the MP in that game.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

only 3 factions. yaaaay

Sega no doubt making it so that any other factions are DLC

Lassitude posted:

What in the...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I liked the multiplayer in DoW2 because base building is boring but tactically managing squads across a big battlefield is fun. Plus how else are you going to get Orks teaming up with Imperial Guardsmen to murder Space Marines?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Lassitude posted:

I agree with this but there is absolutely no indication that they're making it more like DoW1.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

They are probably going to take the CoH II direction with bases in that you have them but they are pre-arranged.

KingEup posted:

I agree with this but there is absolutely no indication that they're making it more like DoW1.

I am absolutely baffled that people keep saying this. DoW II wasn't bad but I really had to struggle through it because only having 5 different dudes to control was really boring

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Man Whore posted:

only 3 factions. yaaaay

Sega no doubt making it so that any other factions are DLC

What in the...

Dawn of War 1 only had four factions initially. Two also started with four factions initially. Three is only one fewer. Not having chaos there is a bummer though. Kind of like with Total Warhammer not having chaos unless you buy it new/preorder.

And, though I can't speak for others, one reason why I liked DoW2 more was less emphasis placed on base building. Sounds weird to say it, since I really liked RTSes and still like dipping into ones I used to play, but I'm not a huge fan of traditional RTS base building. Edit: Small troop counts were sometimes unfun, but in large versus matches I found it interesting enough to keep my attention at least.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
DoW II had "battles" the size of bar fights, which is especially lame considering Orkz and the Nids were in that game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you played dow2 multiplayer instead of the lovely campaigns you had 100 orks fighting 60 imperial guardsmen in a single fight

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In the initial stages of a multiplayer match the fights were small, but towards the middle you'd get people teaming up to make pushes on fortified positions which resulted in more chaos. Then the late game had people make desperation plays with their entire army swarming one point in a suicidal charge. Then you'd have people drop their globals right on top of that army so lasers would be pouring out of the sky while bodies flew across the screen and vehicles spun out of control into flaming wrecks.

It was pretty fun!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BillBear posted:

DoW II had "battles" the size of bar fights, which is especially lame considering Orkz and the Nids were in that game.

At the same time, squad-based RTS games where you lead a finite number of dudes and can't resource up more has always been wayyyyy more accessible and and funner (at least in terms of how long it takes to have fun) than outmining your opponents.

The imperials in Retribution had a good mix; the big commissar guys could spawn a shitload of soldiers to help out at the cost of energy, but you still need to protect said guy to keep swarming out all those dudes between fights.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
PCGamer has a writeup on their site and will have pages of poo poo in the upcoming issue apparently. If someone buys it dump on us.

Gee, I wonder if Sega will go their Total War route and charge us for blood as a $4 DLC. :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Davincie posted:

lovely campaigns

Disgusting

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Donnerberg posted:

The campaign where you controlled a bunch of hero units and a few squads.

Sorry the best way to play retribution was to play coop. Turn one of the heros into the unit ability to shoot lascannons without having to setup. Then you or your buddy get to decide if you get to play with the heroes or you control the kill squad of lascannons.

Very fun coop mode, must of played it atleast 4 times with different people.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think the past ten years of RTS has been people trying to get rid of base building and it really hasn't helped all that much because it's still passing the buck except now there's really little lead-in to doing any particular strategy. RTS games are never going to be as easy as mobas at a basic level.

I say this as someone who enjoyed Wargame( a game without it) but that game was volitle as gently caress. You could easily crush people in the first five minutes and sometimes they would limp on as you wait the timer out to tick your points off to victory.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Holy poo poo PCG's new website is trash. These HEADLINE articles are halfway down the page.

Here's their look:

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/

Here's THREE WHOLE SCREENSHOTS!

http://www.pcgamer.com/see-the-first-trailer-and-screenshots-for-dawn-of-war-3/

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Those screenshots look alpha as gently caress

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Man Whore posted:

Those screenshots look alpha as gently caress

Looks like they are going to stick with Essence v3.0

CHRIST

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

In the initial stages of a multiplayer match the fights were small, but towards the middle you'd get people teaming up to make pushes on fortified positions which resulted in more chaos. Then the late game had people make desperation plays with their entire army swarming one point in a suicidal charge. Then you'd have people drop their globals right on top of that army so lasers would be pouring out of the sky while bodies flew across the screen and vehicles spun out of control into flaming wrecks.

It was pretty fun!

I think the one wonky thing about DoW 2 MP is that it was the inverse of every other RTS game. 1 v 1 matches were kinda weird and lame for various reasons but team games were insanely fun and action packed.

I'm doubly nervous about this game because I don't much care for going back to DoW 1 style and Relic's last RTS game was apparently not stellar.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

KingEup posted:

Looks like they are going to stick with Essence v3.0

CHRIST

Looks like it's plastic Eldar again too, despite the badass ones in the trailer. It actually looks so close to DOW2 that I can't tell if they're recycling models.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
That trailer was great, psyched for this. On thing though: going by the screenshots my inner warham will drive me to immediately mod the relative sizes of all the models (and give the marines smaller shoulders)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm loving ready.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

madmac posted:

I think the one wonky thing about DoW 2 MP is that it was the inverse of every other RTS game. 1 v 1 matches were kinda weird and lame for various reasons but team games were insanely fun and action packed.

This is correct.

Also Dawn Goons were actually pretty good: http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/replays.php?game=47&show=details&id=153013

Donnerberg posted:

Looks like it's plastic Eldar again too, despite the badass ones in the trailer.

quote:

Relic's artists have taken more inspiration from the colourful paint jobs of the tabletop game. It's a step away from the dark doom-laden tone of the fiction

Why Relic why.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 4, 2016

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

madmac posted:

Relic's last RTS game was apparently not stellar.
CoH II was weird in that the gameplay was fine, but the devil was in the details. Whether that be the bordering on Goebbels writing of the singleplayer game(if the game even made any allusion that the nazis were doing things even more hosed up than you it would be fine, but they are just kind of faceless invaders with no characterization) to the unstoppable german armor balance of the multiplayer and all the best abilities being DLC that sinks what would otherwise be a well put together game.

KingEup posted:

Why Relic why.
I guess less dark would also mean "completely lacking in shadows and visual depth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It probably looks better in motion and from a distance, which matters for a larger-scale RTS game than DoW II.

• Locked thread