Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait you need to CAPTURE cover? Like your little dudes will look at that barricade and refuse to bunker down behind it until the whip out their paint cans and color it the right army color?

I can't decide if that's incredibly stupid or really in character for 40k.

It sounds kind of like the cover from DOW1, where it's discrete cover zones, except troops actually deploy into it like COH buildings. So long as it actually looks the part in combat then I'm OK with it? I like CoH's cover mechanics for the most part but it's not uncommon to have troops ignore a perfectly good wall or stand on the wrong side of it at a critical moment. If it serves that purpose of making battlefield control interesting outside of the capture zones I'm happy.

Also, if they're pushing the game further towards large scale combat I can absolutely understand simplifying the cover system.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If you select a race other than Orcs the game should just crash imho.

loving space elves.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

You people who don't like DoW1 are loving monsters. My housemate and I played that game regularly with my mum, who joined us in comp-stomps with her all-pink Ork army. We had a blast setting up opportunities for her to do awesome stuff and shout 'WAAAGGGHHH!!!!' and cackle with glee as she lit Space Marines on fire. DoW1 brings families together to join in the eternity of slaughter.

For me the feel of DoW2 was a bit too tactical for my liking -- I liked the larger-scale battles and lower micro of DoW1. Building the base was an aspect I found annoying in other RTSes, but I actually liked it in DoW1 because the capture points mechanic made you have to go out and fight over resources. Also the Dark Crusade campaign was amazing good fun.

Maybe during the wait for DoW3 I'll revisit 2's campaign again, I barely touched most of it after getting bored early on with the single-player and mostly just played the crap out of Last Stand with my friends (which was awesome). My mum didn't play though, she thought it was too fiddly :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Try to find a co-op buddy if you revisit it.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I liked both DoW 1 and 2, guess that makes me a total weirdo :shrug:

For those wondering about cover: if you look at the 3rd screenshot, down the bottom of the screen there seems to be a very basic circular set of green walls with some wraithguard (?) standing in it. Somewhat more obscured in the left hand side of the screen is what looks like an identical set of walls painted red. IIRC the article talked about some captureable bunker cover thing - if this is it, it does look very loving dumb.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the line of sight mechanics from company of heroes will help offset whatever "dumbing down" the cover system receives. Can't hit what you can't see

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

FYI if any of you are like me and haven't played 2 yet it's worth noting that it, the two expansions, and the majority of the Retribution DLC are like 75% off on Steam. Gonna expire before too long though. Update: Less than 20 hrs left.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 4, 2016

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Michaellaneous posted:

If you select a race other than Orcs the game should just crash imho.

loving space elves.

Why? I liked the Sisters of Battle.

And the Necrons.

And the Imperial Guard.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I think all the factions are cool in their own way. I like to play all of them and just pick whichever I'm feeling at the time.

I will say space elves are prolly my least favorite though, followed by space animes.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 4, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Honky Dong Country posted:

FYI if any of you are like me and haven't played 2 yet it's worth noting that it, the two expansions, and the majority of the Retribution DLC are like 75% off on Steam.

Games are really good. Very different than DOW1, but great still.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
humans are boring

elves are pricks

murder all elves

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If I had one problem with Dawn of War 2 it's that in my opinion actually playing the Tyranids didn't feel right, every other race worked with small numbers of tactical squads and felt okay, but not getting to build up a literally endless swarm of Tyranids is a bad thing, at least as far as personal feel goes. Admittedly I'm bad at RTS games in general but I'd be happy if they combined the good stuff from DoW 1, namely size of armies and options, with the good stuff in DoW 2, relatively simplified base-building and hard to outright shut people out of the game, and then add Tyranids that feel like Tyranids, either a horde of endless small creatures or a small number of really big creatures and everything in between.

Basically playing Tyranids should make you feel like a horde of bug monsters eating and devouring everything in their path and Dawn of War 2 multiplayer did not deliver that feel, in my experience.

Also the trailer is good, the plastic look of the game is not bad and totally appropriate for replicating the tabletop but still is a bit saddening. Also Necrons showing up as the hidden fourth villain faction would be appropriate, as we've already had Chaos as big bads and Tyranids. Necrons are the only really bad race left that you can reasonably represent as villains in an RTS, as the other actually evil Race are the Dark Eldar and making them the main villains would be pretty hard to do and make feel right if you didn't bring up the whole murder-rapist-souleater deal and that's just not going to fly in an RTS, especially as Slaanesh has basically been a non-entity and Soulstorm Dark Eldar focused extremely hard on the souleating which left some of the "nuance" out in my opinion.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

no chaos?

gently caress that, chaos has the best characters in these games minus that pirate ork from retribution

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

strategery posted:

Games are really good. Very different than DOW1, but great still.

Yeah I'm enjoying it so far. The wargear is especially cool and I can't wait to get some of these fuckers into terminator armor.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not sure about the rest of you but honestly I found the campaign for DOW2 pretty boring because it focused entirely on the four respective characters of each race rather than the units, not to mention the characters often having completely broken abilities. I don't want to hear about how Chaplain So and So can make things go boom, I want to line up six Basilisk and SHATTER THEIR SKIES

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not sure about the rest of you but honestly I found the campaign for DOW2 pretty boring because it focused entirely on the four respective characters of each race rather than the units, not to mention the characters often having completely broken abilities. I don't want to hear about how Chaplain So and So can make things go boom, I want to line up six Basilisk and SHATTER THEIR SKIES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0vDQWMJNbE

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Orks are cheating, they are always the best. But can you really say you give a poo poo about any of the other races

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
An old pre-viz of a Dawn of War 2 that never was, it'd be cool if they took some inspiration from it, particularly in regards to how the Eldar move.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzVlpUf7e5w

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 4, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah in the base game and chaos expansion your dudes at least had a squad with them to give you some sense of being part of a larger force, but in retribution you can literally clear the game with just your 4 heroes, excepting the 3 or so units you need to clear the tutorial.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Orks are cheating, they are always the best. But can you really say you give a poo poo about any of the other races

The lord general and his entourage were pretty fun. Space marines and chaos were forgettable and bland but decent enough. The tyranids only having a single hero was balls and eldar can go die in a crossfire though.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 4, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The eldar campaign was about getting taldeers soulstone back which was neat.

The lady who did the voice for the Tyranids is crazy too, it's worth playing just to hear her messed up demon voice.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cover being changed into map features instead of terrain is actually great for Dawn of War. Cover being based on terrain is fine for Company of Heroes where you don't get units that can destroy cover reliably until the mid to late game, but in DoW2 cover was loving useless because it lasts for all of about 20 seconds into the match before a Sentinel or Warboss walks straight through it and crushes it.

Also, I hope in addition to bringing back base building, they bring over the supply line / cutoff system from Company of Heroes. It makes back capping a lot more tactical and less of a merry-go-round of bullshit like DoW2 1v1s end up being.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Heaven Spacey posted:

Cover being changed into map features instead of terrain is actually great for Dawn of War. Cover being based on terrain is fine for Company of Heroes where you don't get units that can destroy cover reliably until the mid to late game, but in DoW2 cover was loving useless because it lasts for all of about 20 seconds into the match before a Sentinel or Warboss walks straight through it and crushes it.

Also, I hope in addition to bringing back base building, they bring over the supply line / cutoff system from Company of Heroes. It makes back capping a lot more tactical and less of a merry-go-round of bullshit like DoW2 1v1s end up being.

Warboss couldn't charge a small gunline behind multiple pieces of cover, especially if any of the units was a suppression one. Sentinels can't stand up to lots of fire like that either. The only early game unit that could really charge lines with impunity was Hive Tyrant and without his health upgrades hed still only be able to catch one unit. That also doesn't take into count units that could build cover freely, like guardsmen and guardians. For those factions that became a big part of their overall strategy for increasing the survivability of their weaker line units.

The big thing I'm very interested to see is how their map design has changed, because so far all they've revealed is flat featureless corridors with single bunkers facing eachother, that sounds like absolute garbage from a strategic standpoint. Cover and buildings being gone hurts way harder in that respect than anything else, plus the visual design of fighting in bombed out wrecks of cities was neat.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 4, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So what are the unreleased teams' versions of Knights? I mean I assume Chaos would just get...a spooky, evil Knight with lots of spikes, but what about the obvious 4th launch race, the Necrons? Just a monolith again?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Actually on the subject of campaign plots why did they bring back Angelos? I thought one of the big points of retribution was wrapping up his story, why not bring in some new blood or bring back Thule, Diomedes, or the FC from DoWII?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FoolyCharged posted:

Actually on the subject of campaign plots why did they bring back Angelos? I thought one of the big points of retribution was wrapping up his story, why not bring in some new blood or bring back Thule, Diomedes, or the FC from DoWII?

Force Commander Frosted Tips was lost to the warp. RIP

E: I do hope Cyrus returns and is somehow more cynical and jaded than ever.

MajesticMonkey
Mar 31, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The eldar campaign was about getting taldeers soulstone back which was neat.

The lady who did the voice for the Tyranids is crazy too, it's worth playing just to hear her messed up demon voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUP3_kh01mI&t=240s

:stare:

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
Game looks cool, more exciting is that Dawn Goons will live again and we can have terrible goon FFA matches.

Only thing the trailer is missing is the Bro Commander from DoW2 before Retribution ruined it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The guy who does the Grots is amazing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dow 2 Inq was great because on the IG you could give Merrick that one purple quality autocannon you get early on and he could solo the entire campaign

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
a proposition

if dow 1 was a boring blob fest with no depth other then rushing and dow 2 was boring cuz there aren't enough units running around then maybe they were both idiot garbage games for poop eatters!!!!

makes you think

Baller Time posted:

They should just make a new Chaos Gate already

X-COM 2 mod where you play a bunch of Eldar, the dropship is replaced with a grav tank instead.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
XCOM: Warhammer Edition would be the best god damned game ever. Just loving license W40K to Firaxis.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

Try to find a co-op buddy if you revisit it.

I'm re-playing through DOW2 at the moment and would be down for mp.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/drkhrs2020

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Why? I liked the Sisters of Battle.

And the Necrons.

And the Imperial Guard.

Chaos and Imps for sure, hopefully not in two separate expansions so it ends up taking 2+ years to get to the rarer armies.

I guess if we're lucky we'll get playable Sisters/Tau by expansion #4-5 or something. Necrons for some reason seem likely to pop out earlier, but maybe that's just wild speculation at this point.

(99% chance we'll never actually see Sisters or Dark Eldar, unless this game and every expansion sells millions until they run out of other options for DLC)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 4, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A little more info on the campaign: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-relic-devs-plan-to-raise-our-game-for-dawn-of-war-3s-campaign/

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

quote:

Dawn of War 3 will be different again, jumping from faction to faction with each mission as Space Marine, Eldar and Ork forces move to seize a powerful, nameless weapon.

BOO

Hella boo. That is the most disappointing.

MajesticMonkey
Mar 31, 2011
So is it confirmed that there will only be three races for the campaign or has only three races been announced so far? I'm getting mixed messages..

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Furism posted:

XCOM: Warhammer Edition would be the best god damned game ever. Just loving license W40K to Firaxis.

There was something g similar to that called Warhammer 40k: squad command for the psp. It seemed alright.
Also the hive mind is voiced by Lani minilla who also did the voices for the female dark elves in skyrim. Just to give you an impression of her vocal range

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

MajesticMonkey posted:

So is it confirmed that there will only be three races for the campaign or has only three races been announced so far? I'm getting mixed messages..

They've explicitly said we'll play as three races for the campaign. They have not said if there'll be other AI factions. They have not said anything about the number of races available in the multiplayer either. There's a couple of hints at Necrons being involved. The quote in the trailer refer to them, and a Necron Lord was added to The Last Stand in March. They've used The Last Stand to tease new stuff since it was added to DoW2, and since there's no other Necron content coming to DoW2... well, who knows? It could be random that they decided to use that quote and add that guy to TLS.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 4, 2016

MajesticMonkey
Mar 31, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

They've explicitly said we'll play as three races for the campaign.

Yeah just read the dow3 steam page. I will be very sad if we don't get to fight against chaos. Relic chaos are just so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is retribution alright? I couldn't get past the first mission because I couldn't get past martellus being alive and good again

• Locked thread