Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Who the gently caress is Yglesias and what does he have to do with anything?

he recently wrote this:

and longer ago wrote these:

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/17/12494052/hillary-clinton-neocons

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/6/9461021/hillary-clinton-executive-power

and countless other extra shilly articles in defense of your abuela and her campaign

oh and he's also previously shilled for Goldman Sachs, of all incredibly predictable places

e: for the new page:

The Kingfish posted:

Every article he writes that seems like it ought to have some content is equally terrible.

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/17/12494052/hillary-clinton-neocons

Clinton hangs out with neocons, but she isn't a hawk. We know this because, "she continues to support diplomacy with Russia.." and "favors a diplomatic approach to the North Korean nuclear issue."

In the middle east Clinton just wants to keep things they were before Obama, she is about consistency, not aggression. She, "has indicated a greater eagerness to be involved in Syria" and "has gone out of her way to say that she doesn't see the nuclear deal with Iran as a prelude to normalizing relations."

quote:

The fact that stepping completely outside the bounds of longstanding bipartisan US foreign policy consensus would lead some foreign policy–focused Republicans to support Clinton shows that she is broadly inside that consensus, not that she’s some kind of super-hawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Will minimum wage hikes lead to a huge boost in automation? Only if we're lucky.

Yglesias posted:

What about the workers thrown out of jobs by the new robo-waiters? Many would get new jobs, though the way this would work is often ignored..
  • Most restaurants would keep longer hours (they're paying for the rent and the robots anyway), meaning many workers would get a raise and change shifts.

• The advanced robo-restaurant technology would itself be a valuable American export good, and people would be employed in designing and selling it.

• Some low-wage work would be reallocated out of the relatively low-social-value restaurant sector and into things like child care and home health assistance, for which there is ample demand.

• Since poor people are now making more money, there will be opportunities to sell them things — things like restaurant meals! — that they couldn't previously afford, which in turn creates demand for new jobs.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Lol waiters will be one of the last jobs to be automated. Restaurants barely pay them a pittance

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think my favourite little tidbit about Yglesias is that he's said that he actively prefers to e-mail politicians or sources with questions rather than talking to them on the phone. He is literally just publishing warmed over press releases from some intern or assistant, and is openly proud of it.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Helsing posted:

I think my favourite little tidbit about Yglesias is that he's said that he actively prefers to e-mail politicians or sources with questions rather than talking to them on the phone. He is literally just publishing warmed over press releases from some intern or assistant, and is openly proud of it.

he wants to call himself a journalist without doing one of the basic tasks required of journalists, both because he's a hack and because he's afraid of talking to other humans

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Helsing posted:

This isn't surprising given that he publishes like six articles a week.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

This is unironically my favorite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrkPe-9rM1Q

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Yglesias is a stupid and must be sent to gulag.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Rand alPaul posted:

I feel like we need a Matthew Yglesias thread, because loving hell, this is what a liberal is in American media now:

I'm from Vox and I say KILL THEM ALL.

lol christ invading Iraq AND Iran because just one of those isn't enough.

Imagine how hosed up things would be if America had chosen to completely destabilize two middle eastern countries at once

oh wait, you don't have to imagine, because Hillary is going to do it to Syria and Iran and start a new cold war with Russia into the bargain

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/us/politics/a-deadpan-hillary-clinton-visits-between-two-ferns.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Weird NYT article about Clinton on Between Two Ferns. I don't think the writer 'gets it'

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

NYT actually wrote about Hilary's astroturf operation.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/us/politics/hillary-clinton-media-david-brock.amp.html%3f0p19G=e?client=safari

"At first glance, the Clintonian grass roots seemed to have organically sprouted in anger. But closer inspection yielded traces of Miracle-Gro that led to the sixth floor of a building in the Flatiron neighborhood of Manhattan."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It can be a mass hallucination machine and so much more

Love comes in at the eye

The eye is the window of the soul

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Healing comes from the meds, McDowell.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Don't stifle the voice of an artist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that's not how you pronounce that word

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

NYT actually wrote about Hilary's astroturf operation.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/us/politics/hillary-clinton-media-david-brock.amp.html%3f0p19G=e?client=safari

"At first glance, the Clintonian grass roots seemed to have organically sprouted in anger. But closer inspection yielded traces of Miracle-Gro that led to the sixth floor of a building in the Flatiron neighborhood of Manhattan."

You've got to wonder whether the coordinated attempts to frame Sanders' core supporters as racist and sexist doesn't help to explain why Clinton's now under-performing so direly with the under-30 crowd that helped elect Obama.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

For me it was when Chelsea Clinton was going around saying that Bernie was trying to kick people off of their health insurance. That was just way way way too cynical

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Doc brown was the only one who could take on Biff Tannen and win. Now were in the Mcworld timeline

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WINNINGHARD posted:

Doc brown was the only one who could take on Biff Tannen and win. Now were in the Mcworld timeline

It means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WINNINGHARD posted:

Lorraine is the one who killed Biff in that timeline, sometime around the 90's. All Doc managed to do was run away from a world he created without actually fixing it.

Fitting.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

How Corporations Can Be a Force for Good.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uxfRDL-JzM

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

before we were Bad.... now we must be Good

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

"Corporations seek profit above all else because of Milton Friedman's corrupting ideology."

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even the first loving sentence is wrong: "For decades, corporations have been expected to concentrate on one mission: Maximizing profits for shareholders."

No one gives a poo poo about shareholders :lol:

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
you've been hit by

you've struck by

a smooth striminal

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Umshini wam...umshini wam...

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

"Corporations seek profit above all else because of Milton Friedman's corrupting ideology."

the corporations were noble servants of justice until that dirty rat friedman came along

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Milton Friedman locked the doors at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory and lit the fuse.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Rand alPaul posted:

Even the first loving sentence is wrong: "For decades, corporations have been expected to concentrate on one mission: Maximizing profits for shareholders."

No one gives a poo poo about shareholders :lol:

"Decades"

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this thread's probably more fitting

https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/782258531135213569

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, apparel for those basement dweller Sander supporters she talked about. Gotta make yourself hip to those who you talk down to and diminish.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fatherboxx posted:

Nineteen forty-eight
Tel Aviv city
I am Ben-Gurion!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Helsing posted:

You've got to wonder whether the coordinated attempts to frame Sanders' core supporters as racist and sexist doesn't help to explain why Clinton's now under-performing so direly with the under-30 crowd that helped elect Obama.

it's just a repeat of 2008's winning strategy

http://www.salon.com/2008/04/14/obama_supporters/

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Honestly, it's the Obama supporters who come off the worst in that story.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Helsing posted:

Nope!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Helsing posted:

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Change this thread title to something about any type of liberal propaganda imo

• Locked thread