Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Press F5 To Pay Respects - Let's Play Advance Wars By Web
by Slur in Let's Play! at May 8, 2016 15:11
My comment was facetious
by Slur in Let's Play! at May 8, 2016 12:47
In that case, I will make this update as meticulous as can be
by Slur in Let's Play! at May 8, 2016 12:34
So because the game's outcome has been spoiled, does that mean I have to write an update
by Slur in Let's Play! at May 8, 2016 11:38
Oh come on, TheMcD! Show some confidence! No game is over until it is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

I'm buying a Wii U today I think and I'm gonna get exactly one game . No pro controller yet (once I get one Smash & Bayo2 are no-brainers) what's the best one I can play with Gamepad? or should I get a couple $20 ones like Mario 3D World & Pikmin 3 ?
Get Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

Light of my life, fire of my loins.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

If you buy VR anything you should be permabanned

The HTC Vive is the latest in consumer VR technology. Released April 5th, 2016, the Vive as it is commonly referred to, is a huge step forward for VR technology at a semi-reasonable price. The Vive comes with a headset, motion controllers, lighthouse base stations, and all the odds and ends needed for a fully immersive VR experience.

Price: The Vive costs :siren:$799:siren:! Yes, it is a very expensive piece of hardware. Currently this is a niche market aimed towards the VR enthusiast, and hopefully in the coming years the price will drop. That being said, with everything that is packed into the Vive the price is not outrageous, and compared to other VR offerings on the market, the vive is still the overall best in terms of what it can do and the hardware that is included.

Lighthouses: The Vive comes with two lighthouses/base stations. What these devices do is they transmit IR lasers from them in a sweeping motion (Thus the name lighthouse, they act as rapidly moving IR lighthouses in effect). This enabled the headset to track its position in the world by receiving these lasers, using maths, and figuring out where it is in relation to these base stations.

The lighthouses can be a bit of work, and mounting these bad boys can take a bit of time and add some heft to initial setup. However its a one time cost (unless you are going to move where you use your vive a lot). However you have options. The lighthouses can be mounted using the included mounting kit by screwing it into the wall. You can also mount them on tripods though that can be a bit problematic as you do not ever want your base stations to move once placed. There are still many novel mounting solutions that people have utilized such as 3M strips, contractor poles and many others. Ultimately mounting is a pain but there are a number of ways to do it and it typically only takes a half hour or so. This is a pretty typical mounting solution using the included hardware

Motion Controllers: The Vive also comes with two motion controllers, this hardware sets it apart from the competition (which currently use xbox controllers for input), all hail the donut! The motion controller is exactly what it sounds like, it allows for 1:1 control of the virtual space by using your actual hands and arms to control your surroundings. This is not a wii-mote. Wii-motes suck, their tracking/simulation capabilities are terrible. This uses the same tracking method the headset uses to ensure an incredible level of tracking fidelity, sub-millimeter precision to be exact.

Each Motion controllers come with some standard app and home buttons, the former being uses by some games as a menu button, and the latter being a dedicated button to open the SteamVR interface. They also have an analog trigger (great for shooters), two grip buttons that act the same and can be used to simulate grabbing something, and a steam-controller-esque trackpad at your thumb. The trackpad is actually incredibly useful, and can be used for many applications including weapon wheels, mouse simulation, typing, or a plethora of other options. The track pad can also be clicked in as well as knowing when the user is simply touching it.

The motion controllers are incredibly important to VR immersion, and most people who use them will find themselves innately understanding them (as it just simulates our normal mode of interaction). Check this out!

The Headset: The life blood of the Vive. The headset comes with two lens that sit over a 2160 x 1200 screen. This screen has a refresh rate of 90Hz; yes that is more than your average monitor. This high resolution, high refresh rate means that the vive delivers a high-quality (though yes screen-door-effect is still present) smooth experience. It even has the biggest FOV of all the headsets on the market, leading to a better feeling of immersion and presence.

The pocketed appearance of the headset, straight out of a cyber-punk mock-up, shows off all of the IR sensors that sense the lasers emitted from the lighthouses. Using maths this helps the headset figure out where it is in space. Not only can the headset know where you are rotationally, it will also track you positionally within your defined playspace. You can not only look around your virtual environment, but you can walk and move within it as well. True VR presence is finally at hand!

Though a bit unwieldy at first, adjusting the straps to get a comfortable fit hugely improve the comfort of the headset, most users can use it indefinitely. The camera on the front allows you to, at a buttons press, view your surroundings so you can keep your headset on and still see/interact with the real world (not sure why you’d want to though).

SteamVR: SteamVR is what the Vive relies on. Through the push of a button either on the motion controllers or on the headset itself you can access the steam vr menus. From here you can launch games, chat with people on your friends list or view your desktop (though their built in desktop view needs some work currently). Normal games that don’t have proper VR support can even be played in a simulated theater.

From here you can also access and change the settings of your chaperone system. The chaperone system is a virtual wall that fades in as you approach your play boundaries. When you do the Vive’s initial set up you use your motion controllers to draw out your play area in real space. Then it takes this area to define the chaperone boundary. Now whenever you approach that limit the walls fade into existent alerting you that you are approaching real world obstacles. Though wandering around in a room in VR might seem dangerous, with chaperone it becomes simple, easy and completely safe. (though please wear your wristbands)

The HTC Vive is available now, you can order it and receive it within 1-3 weeks, and some stores are even beginning to get them in stock, though this is still quite limited. Overall it is the best VR option on the market and a fantastic VR device if you are interested in this emerging technology. It is something that needs to be experienced to understand so look around you for demos and opportunities to get your hands on this new VR HMD (head-mounted display).

This thread is mod sanctioned; intentional shittiness, or coming in here to wave your dick about your non-Vive HMD is probatable, if you wanna do that take it to the bad VR thread. Welcome to the vive hug box boyz

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's my favorite Smash and I wish I had more people to play with.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

mario 3d world is so incredible from top to bottom. been replaying it recently to get wins with all characters and its really fun to speedrun too
It's my third-favorite Mario game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Have you played Captain Toad?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

i have not. while it looks insanely cute its not rly my thing tbh
You'll like it if you like 3-D World, trust me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hed posted:

My wife and I can't get past that one timed level in the last world of 3D World. Other than that it has been one of the best Wii U games to coop. That and Yoshi Yarn.
The fire run? You can't really co-op that one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

this is a great revenue stream and helps a ton with brand awareness for those who have fallen away from Nintendo in the past five or ten years. Add in some well made movies for their biggest franchises and merchandise it correctly and Nintendo is looking at a boat load of money coming in from all sides.
Bob Hoskins is dead so IDK how the movie thing can happen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Average, low intelligence Gamer: I love doing triple jumps in Mario 64

Me (enlightened): This does nothing for your portfolio.
Normal video game player, an actual child: It's cool when Kirby gets a sword.

STEM type with diversified stock options and his own computer that he doesn't share with his dad: Actually, Kirby is for children. I prefer making Let's Plays so that my gaming has some payoff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lmao yeah I totally won't relearn my favorite games with new timing to totally experience playing Mario 3 for the first time again :rolleyes:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

the Wii version has pitch perfect controls
I had to change it to the second lock-on option. I don't know how you'd get past the Hive Mecha with the default. But once I did that it had some of the best controls of any game I've ever played.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

Kirbys Dream Course Wii U :pray:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

i hope they give me that as a trade-in credit for getting the wii u at launch and playing nintendo land for 6 months
I think you should give them another 200 dollars to say thanks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Soral posted:

ok but i promise this one is real though

Patriots-level media manipulation. Masterful.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

The amount of good DS/3DS games in that library is staggering
The entire Game Boy to 3DS line is Nintendo's biggest string of successes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only disappointing handheld Nintendo games are Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi's New Island, and Spirit Tracks. Everything else is among Nintendo's best stuff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

minish cap is a brilliant game
It's in my top 3 Zeldas, with Wind Waker and Link To The Past.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ka0 posted:

it's the only game I can think of that is good though. I don't give a poo poo about zelda or the 2d platform marios. then there's all that fire emblem stuff for the tumblr/deviantart crowd and monster hunter 9000 which was boring in psp and stays true to form on the nintendo. maybe pokemon is good again
Fail

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Much like how a narrative does not exist without the Story/Narration duality, the fire emblem series can't manifest itself without the tumblr/deviantart dichotomy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

*animal cerossing voice* bibibibibibbbiba, bibibi ababa. bi, bibi. a

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*briefly looks up from playing Captain Toad for six hours solid* Yeah man, Nintendo uh, they don't make good, whatever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

the xboxes are bar none the worst consoles ever made
It's like if the Atari Jaguar was somehow successful and they made a bunch of them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is it fascism yet posted:

do i need to know what shinesparking is before i play a metroid? is it explained anywhere in the games?
Beat it first and then if you really get into them and want to 100 percent everything you can learn it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

just everyone knows i have the phazon suit and have collected 2 more runes. getting around metroid prime is starting to be a little tedious in places because every now and then they lock you in a room and force you to fight enemies when all I'm trying to do is explore.
You get really good at fighting the ghosts. I still had a ton of fun getting 100 percent collectibles without a guide.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Girlfriends love Pokemon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

so after i beat pokemon red and phoenix wright i'm thinking i should finally play Chrono Trigger. just went to gamestop after work and checked, they have a copy for $27 used....worth it?
The DS version is solid but skip the bonus content, it's awful.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

MARIO MAKER ON 3DS
Good. Good!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

lol they added Spirit Tracks link to the zelda dynasty warriors game and he rides a train around to fight people.
Owns

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That Pikmin game sounds cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Soral posted:

it was weird listening to the lady in the video describe darwinian evolution occurring with the rattata in pokemon sumo lol
Pokemon evolve to best use their natural resource: friendship.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My GF and I are going to buy a second 3DS and play through Sun and Moon together. The name of the man is Blue, and he is my lifelong rival.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

frank.club posted:

Lol. I street pass my ex sometimes on campus and he sends me mean private messages when his guy shows up to my gate
TFW gamer bae goes from Player 2 in co-op to Player 2 in deathmatch... and she took all your drat Frank's Red Hot!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

unfortunately, you have to close gamecube's door when playing games

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rama of Ra posted:

I plugged in my SNES to play Zombies Ate My Nieghbors. poo poo works like a charm but gently caress I'm not good at this game anymore.

Soundtrack is up there with DKC, tho. poo poo brings me back.
It's not an easy game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

i'm actually really impressed with the world and writing so far, i'm about 2 hours in. my only thing is i really dislike real time combat but i hvae it on "wait" mode so i can just select techs if i want to pause and think for a second. otherwise Chrono Trigger actually has a really spectacular combat system, i love the enemy movement and the two-man combos that deal pretty good damage. the last JRPG i played was FFX last year, which has always been my favorite, but its combat is actually considerably simpler than Chrono Trigger seems to be. i also love the Frog character
FFX has some Chrono Trigger inspiration in some of the boss design, you'll probably recognize some stuff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mycophobia posted:

The Genesis is a great system for arcade ports and arcade-style games
Phantasy Star 4 is a really good JRPG but it had an insane amount of competition in that generation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oliwan posted:

whoa, MODS???

Bobnumerotres posted:

stupid rear end bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oliwan posted:

eh, what are 10 classic Wii U games that people will still play in 30 years?
Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Wonderful 101
Captain Toad
Bayonetta 1 and 2
Hyrule Warriors
Tropical Freeze
Breath of the Wild
Pikmin 3
NSMBU

Other greats that won't be played because of multiplayer server stuff:
Splatoon