Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wario Land 2 is very good. Wario Land 3 is a bit less good than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Milkman posted:

wario lands past 1 are a nintendo blind spot.. which one gives a good taste

Wario Land 2 best expresses the concept of Wario Landness. It has a branching progression through the levels, but don't worry about which branches you end up on, because when you finish the game you can go back to any level and get all the alternate endings.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Caithness posted:

Well just add colors then, how hard could it be?

Very hard in comparison to just taking an existing game and sticking it in an existing compiler unaltered and making sure it works.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Caithness posted:

Well do that then. I want to play this game that's "very much like" my favorite game of all time. But not on an actual Virtual Boy, that would be crazy

Nintendo doesn't have a Virtual Boy emulator ready to go, unfortunately, but you can probably find an unofficial one if you try.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I once played a demo of a Monster Hunter game and I hated it so much that I swore I would never hunt a monster again. This is my Monster Hunter story. Thank you for listening.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He used to plumb, but these days he's obviously a full-time video game star.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The last Metroid game came out in 2016.
The last real Metroid game came out in 2010.
The last good Metroid game came out in 2007.
The last 2D Metroid game came out in 2004.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

so I've dumped like 5 hrs into the octopath traveller demo and it's great. should I get bravely default?

Both are good. Both, however, are long, and the second one is better in that it's more consistent and it doesn't repeat the mistakes of the first (which a small fraction of players have a strong negative reaction to). If you are worried about time, it's okay to skip to the second one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

bump_fn posted:

octopath seems really cool but i wiped on primose's first real boss cause i suck

I liked that it was hard enough for me to lose the first time I tried it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

extremebuff posted:

have any actual details for sun/moon 2 come out? i couldnt watch the last direct because of net issues.

all ive heard is you get some slightly different colored pokemon but nothing about what theyre actually adding in terms of content lol

They have released very few details. Internet video sleuths are guessing that it's got basically the same story with a few differences, like Emerald or Platinum, but it adds a some new areas and available pokemon, like Black 2 / White 2. Additionally they seem to be adding not just new forms, but at least two new pokemon. These, of course, will be backwards-incompatible.

Probably best to think of it as being basically like what Black 2 and White 2 were.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

except weren't black/white 2 true sequels with a wholly different story and game flow?

Yes. There's no exact precedent for what Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon look like. It seems like mechanically it might be like BW2 and narratively like Emerald and Platinum.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

bump_fn posted:

botw ending q (spoilers)
i beat it without getting all the memories cause i forgot about them, and in the end zelda asks "do you remember me?" - is this different if i got all memories?

Yes, slightly

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

instead of playing bad square games that were rightfully left in japan please play energy breaker [cool srpg from the makers of lufia 2 with very cool music] and tengai makyou 0 instead [i actually don't know if tengai makyou 0 will run on a snes classic tho unless it can run snes9x or higan]

Please tell me more about Tengai Makyou 0

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they had put gyroscopic aiming in, I might have gotten Doom a second time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Each game can have the achievement system appropriate for it, if it really needs it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Metroid Prime 3 had the only good key hunt of the trilogy, because it took place throughout the game and each new key gave you something new. It also got combat amazingly right and gave us the extremely sick X-ray Visor + Nova Beam instant kill combo. I like it second best of the three, because the small, self-contained environments limited the exploration factor, somewhat spoiling the variety and originality of the locations.

Metroid Prime 2 leaned hardest of the entire series into the "hostile environment" concept, with good results. It was more extreme than its predecessor in most of its gameplay aspects, which is a quality I admire. This extremity was mostly to its benefit but sometimes it went too far. The high complexity of the environments increased interest overall, but I like it second best of the three, because it was the most difficult to backtrack in and it required the most backtracking.

Metroid Prime 1 is a well-rounded and solid experience that demonstrates modest virtuosity in all aspects. I like it second best of the three, because everything good about it is done better by one of its sequels or the other.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I Am Setsuna was boring, and it takes a certain kind of optimist to think that Lost Sphear might be good.

I'm that kind of optimist.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I didn't like the combat in the first Xenoblade so I'll never play one until they change it completely, giant titties or no giant titties.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah I think it looks all right.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Imagine wanting it to be more like Ubisoft.

I won't do it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The architectural storytelling in Zelda dungeons of yore is something I miss in the divine beasts.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only bad 3D Zelda dungeon is the Palace of Twilight.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In Training posted:

It would be pretty epic to work your way through a massive dungeon and then pop out the other side in a different part of the overworld in a way that made geographical sense

It would. However, the way the dungeons are packed in Zelda 1 does not correspond to their geographical locations, i.e. the doors are not in anywhere near the same squares as on the overworld.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Super Nintendo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bravely Second is a more consistent experience and its twist is more fun and more clever, and it has a 97% reduction in womanizing, so I prefer it, but the music is worse and the combos you can do at endgame aren't as hilariously broken. You can't really go wrong with that series, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nintendo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wish this fuckin' nerd would get to the good stuff.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/971756643938545670

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's about the same length as the last few Modern Kirby Platformers Directed By Shinya Kumazaki, maybe a tiny bit shorter, and each level has only one hidden irreplaceable doodad hidden in it. However, the postgame mode where you speedrun the whole game as a different character may occupy you for longer because you can use every character in it, and that'll include the special ones they haven't released yet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Kirby is very cute. thank you.

I'm gonna have to lay some hard truths on you, friend: Part-Time UFO is cuter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Kirby Star Allies got me in a major Kirby mood...Probably going to replay all the Kirby games

A bunch of them are on 3DS.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't know if I can love a Mario RPG that doesn't have Numbers Go Up in it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't like Mario & Luigi because the random battles take a long time and there are a lot of one-off minigames preceded by a wacky red and green duo who use way more words than necessary to explain the rules twice.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

How was that 2D Pikmin platformer on 3DS, anyway?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

is it harder than donkey Kong country returns?

Not quite as hard, I think, but it might just be that the difficulty is more even.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

i should be allowed to play balloon fight outside of wifi if I want to

They clarified you don't need to be online to use the Switch NES games.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The prehistoric bonus dungeon is amazingly tedious. The other one is all right, just kinda long. Be willing to give up on them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The rarest and most prestigious of Nintendo Switch accessories are the black joycons. Aside from the color, they're no different from any other joycons, but the device they're attached to is special. These beauties are not available at retail, but are only distributed as part of a Switch devkit. Thus they can only be acquired by the most formidable of Nintendo likers, who swear a sacred vow to use their powers to give games back to the system.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have one very small guideline which, if you wish to read it sooner rather than later, will probably enhance your enjoyment: I recommend that you focus on following the main questline until you get the camera power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Switch version has shorter loading times, higher resolution when docked, and an easy difficulty setting. But they have identical content.