Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

illusion of gaia

Fungah! posted:

illusion of gaia

Fungah! posted:

illusion of gaia

Fungah! posted:

illusion of gaia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If I wanna try Lufia 2 do I benefit from playing the first one first?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered the d-pad joycon thing for the switch

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/D-P...Detail2pcDetail

I would have gotten black but since they don't make it I got see thru purple

Spawn Wave gave it a great review but I will give a trip report when i get it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

that would be helpful for shovel Knight and street fighter

yeah Shovel Knight is really bad with the arrow buttons and with the 3-d stick

That is the first game I am gonna test it with

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I just ordered the d-pad joycon thing for the switch

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/D-P...Detail2pcDetail

I would have gotten black but since they don't make it I got see thru purple

Spawn Wave gave it a great review but I will give a trip report when i get it

OK so I promised a trip report on this.

I can't believe how good it is. The d pad functions exactly like a d pad should. I sucked playing Shovel Knight or Street Fighter 2 in portable mode and now it's absolutely perfect. Even better is it's a clicky d pad. Reminds me a lot of the GBA SP.

Installation was pretty brutal. Lots of tiny screws and you have to remember where each one goes. Lots of tiny fragile ribbon cables, too. So you have to be extremely careful.

The worst part is the tiny springs used for the back L and R buttons. I lost two out of four doing this so I swept up the area and I had to use a magnet in everything I picked up to find them again. Do the back L and R buttons very carefully. Me losing them added a good hour to this whole thing.

Another recommendation I have is to not bother using the back half of the shells. I like that it looks all stock black from the back and purple on the front. Plus the purple plastic is a bit glossy and the stock back halfs are nice and matte which I find better for grip.

I am able to pull off every single move in Street Fighter 2 now when it was an effort with the arrow buttons. Shovel Knight is like a different game. This is what Nintendo should have shipped it with. And I even tested how well it works with using the left joycon in two player mode, where you hold the joycon sideways. Believe it or not, it still works wonderfully in that mode. Yeah it might be confusing if the screen says to press arrow right but that's a small price to pay. I was able to use it just fine in that detached sideways joycon mode.

Anyway I hope this has been useful to the Imp Zone™. Just please don't blame me if you lose a spring or rip a ribbon cable.

hth

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 2, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mysterious loyall X posted:

that seems cool but i don't want to disassemble these stupid 80 dollar controllers

Yeah I've been taking electronics apart my entire life ever since I put quarters in my parents VCR when I was five and this was pretty rough. But it you follow an online guide it would definitely be way more manageable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

i'd definitely pry open the pro controller and replace the dpad tho what a piece of poo poo

I think it's a defect. I have four Pro Controllers and two of them have poo poo d pads (I exchanged them until I got a good one).

You're referring to the d pad registering a right or left press as up, correct?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

i'd definitely pry open the pro controller and replace the dpad tho what a piece of poo poo

So it appears that Nintendo recognizes the lovely d pad on the pro controller because the new Xenoblade controller is not just a new color scheme but they have slightly different d pads that fix the issue. Just waiting for stores to start stocking pro controllers with the fixed d pad

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

net cafe scandal posted:

Can I play the fan translated PS3 tales of Vesperia on the hacked PS3

Yep!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
is the n3DS one really good? I don't really have time to play it on the Wii but on a handheld I could find the time. Just dont wanna waste my time if it's a terrible port of the WIi version

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ah ok thanks. maybe I will play it on the wii first and if i really love the game- hey, portable version

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

There's a Mega man game on the game boy advance that has a glitch so bad that it actually makes the cartridge stop working permanently

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Anything made past 1993 is bad

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo, so the wii games will upscale? I am actually really surprised the Shield can handle that. That's insane!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

don't know if i can play a game titled tropical freeze after such title masterpieces like dixie and baby and spanky kong in diddled by king k rool's ding a ling a ding mystery van 64

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

sauce plz

lol I remember that. I managed to find it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812768&pagenumber=41&perpage=40#post472458985

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Thank you for this, and for fighting the good fight in that thread also.

You are very welcome. I think I made some good points (about Nintendo kicking rear end and goons knowing fuckall about business)

Microsoft literally never made a dime of profit on the XBox brand and Nintendo probably made money on the Virtual Boy and these goobers don't understand why Nintendo might be smarter than Microsoft at making money with video games

Here's another great follow up post of his: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812768&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=43#post472747584

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Raserys posted:

it's almost like gbs is full of brain broken people who can only say how much they hate something via rlm quotes

The funniest thing about that thread were the ones telling me I have Nintendo's cock in my mouth or I am pathetic for arguing in their favor, when I never once argued with anyone who said they didn't like Nintendo or they hate their games or whatever. The only people I argued with are ones that said Nintendo sucks at making money and Microsoft XBox is wonderful at it, and that got them so enraged for some reason lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's that a lot of them want to buy Nintendo games, but they are too cheap or whatever to buy a console and just want to add Zelda to the list of Steam games they never play

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

I think the people in that thread bought uncle nintendo his red text avatar

Haha definitely

People get really mad when I say putting Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on iOS isn't good idea

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ArfJason posted:

i couldnt believe those posts when i stumbled into that thread but there really is a nintendo switch loving sucks megathread

When I said a big appeal to me is that the nintendo switch can be played in portable mode, someone responded that computers can hook up to TVs too

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Also it's because they want to pay $7.99 max for first party Nintendo releases

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

trying to jack off posted:

im going to bring my computer around to my friends house so we can game on the big tv

Sorry I can't, my wife said she needs to use Excel this afternoon

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Milkman posted:

blessed to have enough brain disease to enjoy pc gaming but not too much that i can't pick up the nintendo and play a mario

Instead of it being a Nintendo Switch release, Super Mario Odyssey should have been an ios game for $8.99 and Nintendo is stupid for not doing this
-gbs

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah they were asking me why I said I'd play Skyrim on the Switch and not the PC and I said the portability is a huge factor as I am married with two kids and cannot sit in an office by myself hunched over a computer screen. And their takeaway from that was that I should just get a long hdmi cable and wireless keyboard and mouse for my living room TV (so that I can hog the entirety of a different room instead I guess????)

Your gifs and videos fuckin own dude. God drat.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I still blow people's minds when I show them that you can plug two Dreamcast VMUs into each other to copy saves. These are people who own a Dreamcast. What a cool system.

For some reason I think the graphics on it were better than the PS2, even though that's technically impossible.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

IdealFlaws posted:

WHAT?! I completely forgot about this or just didnt know. I think I've been using it the old fashioned way by using the Dreamcast and hooking up two vmu's like a scrub

Yep you plug them directly into one another and then you get a menu on the VMU with all your saves and you just copy them from there.

Also don't feel bad. I didn't know the Game Boy Player on the GameCube played original game boy games until last year (I thought it only did Game Boy Advance). Oh and i figured out the Game Boy Player had an eject button last year, too.

Another one that almost made my monocle pop was that you could plug a Game Boy Pocket or Game Boy Color link cable into a GBA/GameCube. They changed the link port shape for the GBA but you can still fit the much older link cables into that port. They are backwards compatible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Black gently caress Man in Japan

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ArfJason posted:

iirc its because dreamcast's powervr gpu had better antialiasing, despite not being able to do polygons as good as the ps2

Yeah for whatever reason Dreamcast games always looked sharper to me

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Spoderman posted:

Also the Dreamcast has VGA output so almost every game is designed to look great in 480p and has a video connection system that makes everything look crisp even today. When you plug in your Dreamcast to an HDTV today, the AA plus VGA make it look 100x better than anything else pre-HDMI. Dreamcast was the best then and is the best now.

Yeah PS2 even over component doesn't look nearly as good to me

I always found it funny that a lot of Dreamcast games that wouldn't work with vga could just have a flag changed to force it, and it worked fine. Why the hell did they force it off for the game then? And what's up with those like three games that won't do VGA even with the flag set? One of them is the South Park game

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Do you get anything extra for beating Master quest in botw? The thought of doing the trial of the sword in an even more difficult setting makes my stomach hurt but if I get a better ending or a cool virtual t shirt out of it I'll do it

I.N.R.I posted:

romancing saga 3 was great. basically its a bit like ff6 except if it was just sidequests + no main story. i think 2 is the same, in fact i heard it was considered the best of the 3 games, its the only one i havent played yet though

I never played any romancing saga game. Is it OK to start with 2 or will I be lost?

I.N.R.I posted:

speaking of which its a shame that the series artist, tomomi kobayashi, never took the same career path as amano. she isnt as talented as amano but shes still far too skilled to be stuck doing art for korean phone mmos or whatever it is she does now

Virtually all of the people who made Illusion of Gaia/Time did practically nothing after making that game. Even the incredible music composer

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

youll be fine. the stories arent related or anything, and theyre basically snes era jrpgs. just not so linear

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you

Were any other snes rpgs that didn't make it to America any good? I got pretty far in terranigma and loved it but a lot of the other Japan only releases I tried were a slog

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm adding every one of them to my n3ds xl right now

I.N.R.I posted:

live a live and treasure of the rudras (you can find it searching for rudra no hihou or something like that) are the ones i know, the snes was before my time so even as a big jrpg geek theres still a lot i havent played pre ps1. live a live is pretty famous but rudras is more obscure. its not the greatest rpg ever made but its really nice looking and its not so easy you can just mash A through it like a lot of old rpgs

Man you have the opposite life of me. I was obsessed with rpgs in the snes days and I completely abandoned them when the Playstation came out. For whatever reason I couldn't stay focused on them like I could in the snes days. in 1995/96 I was obsessed, by 97 I stopped caring

I am very jealous you never played a lot of the snes rpgs. You should share your list of snes rpgs you never played and we can rate them in order you have to play them.

If you want something fairly quick and doesn't require gamefaqs to beat I highly recommend Illusion of Gaia

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
here's a weird question; and it might even be more of a tech question than Nintendo specific but feh

I have a Wii U and I am using a Western Digital passport hard drive. The Wii U's usb ports do not give off enough power to power an external hard drive unless it's one of those ones that have a literal wall plug, and I refuse to use those out of stubbornness. yes I tried a Y adapter with my passport where it will use 2 USB ports but it wasn't enough power still!

so my surge protector has a USB port that claims it is strong enough to charge even an ipad pro 12". so I plugged in this USB "splitter" thing; basically it's a USB port male on one end and 5 USB female on the other end. i suppose it's a "hub" but it doesn't plug into an outlet so i am not even sure wtf it is

so i pluged it into that port on my surge protector, then plugged my amazon echo and WiiU hard drive into it (so the Y connector plugged into my wii u has one wire going to the wii U, and the other going to this USB splitter thing

is this a bad idea for any reason? is it gonna give my hard drive or wii U a shorter lifespan? i notice the western digital passport's LED light never turns off, even if the wii U is off. however, it isn't spinning or anything if the wii U is off

if my question seems nuts please consider I used an ipad USB brick to power my fire TV stick and the thing kept rebooting itself and it was boiling hot (the fire stick). once I switched back to the one that came in the box it never happened again, so I think this notion that USB devices only received the voltage they are supposed to is a load of poo poo (i think)

sorry for all the words but i want my wii U and its necessary hard drive to provide decades of enjoyment for my household :tipshat:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

angry_keebler posted:

you should be fine, because your devices really should only draw its rated current or fallback if the power supply isn't providing enough current

if you want peace of mind get a inline usb ammeter to make sure you are drawing the right amount of current from your source

Thank you kindly. Just ordered that doohickey

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

just after i ordered a sd2snes for my super fami.. life is good

Please play link to the past msu1 hack the second you get that thing

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

cutscenes in my zeldamans? no thank you

It's only at the beginning :shobon:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

https://archiverse.guide someone archived all 17 TB of Miiverse lol

I got really nostalgic for the Wii Weather Channel (weird I know) and I found out the other day someone made new servers for it and it lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/948920417158221824

Nintendo should give up on consoles
-gbs

Cobalt Viper posted:

I got super invested in a lot of those really early Wii channels (Everybody Votes!) just because of how little actual content was on there and how deeply I wanted it to turn out to be cool. Definitely spent multiple hours just spinning the globe.

Yeah i loved just browsing the planet with it. I know I could do that on Google earth but the Wii Weather Channel was just different. The music was amazing and it was so peaceful to look at before bed. I used to find Cockburn on the map every time to show my wife how witty I am

Whoever Nintendo hires for background muzak is incredible. Dear lord that snes Sim City soundtrack :stare: