Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anybody else keep notes on games your playing? I use my phone for this stuff but there's a reason old manuals had a notes section. here's some of mine

Notes I took while playing 999 (spoilers kinda)

Choice 1: 4 or 5
Choice 2: 7 or 8
Choice 3: 1, 2 or 6

Game 1: Door 4, Door 8, Door 1 - Clover kills Junpei

Game 2: Door 5, Door 7, Door 2 - Everybody dies

Game 3: Door 4, Door 3, Door 2 - Everybody dies, no choice after Door 3

Game 4: Door 5, Door 7, Door 6 - Junpei stabbed in the back

Game 5: Door 5 (check safe), Door 8, Door 6 - lots of revelations

Game 6: Door 4 (take bookmark and be interested in CO2), Door 7 (ask Santa about ice-9 and give clover the bookmark), Door 1

Torture Room
1: 1 = 2 top L, 2 bot R; 2 = 2 top L, 2 top R, 1 bot R

2: 1 = 2 top R, 1 bot R; 2 = 1 top and bot L, 1 bot R

3: 1 = 2 top L, 3 bot L, 1 top R, 2 bot R; 2 = 1 top L, 1 top and bot R

4: 1 = 2 top and bot L, 1 top R; 2 = 1 top L, 2 bot L, 1 top and bot R

NEED 7 top L, 6 bot L, 4 top and bot R
Solution
1:2, 2:2, 3:1, 4:1

First Room
Blue: key in pot, 0263
Red: key in mirror, 7485

half f mine are dark souls characters

Path
O&S
Occult Ember from Painted World
Pick up two fire keeper souls and collect 30 humanity for Izalith shortcut
Izalith
Nito
Find white titanite...
- 1 from black knight in catacombs
and tomb
- 1 on corpse in tomb
- 1 in patches pit
- 1 from sunlight medal trade
- 3 from farming skeleton towers
and pinwheels
- White Slab in Tomb of Giants
Duke's
4 Kings
Finale

from the week or two I was playing MH4U

MH4U Items

Rathian Armor
- 12 Rathian Scales (11)
- 10 Earth Crystal (17)
- 10 Machalite Ore (10)
- 8 Rathian Shells (9)
- 5 Rathian Webbing (4)
- 3 Monster Bone L (3)
- 2 Flame Sacs (2)
- 2 Rathian Spikes (1)
- 2 Rath Talon (1)
- 1 Lightcrystal (0)
- 1 Rathian Plate (1)
- 1 Rathian Marrow (1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

i had a ton of notes for fez and thought it was fun figuring out the letter cypher and worked really hard on it and then threw the notes in the garbage when i found a room with a quick brown fox jumping over a lazy dog in it with a tablet with all the letters on it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

whn la mulana 2 comes out im gonna buy a notebook for everything nd i wish i'd done that for the first game. ive got some stray notes for a few puzzles though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXIII farm guide

Get three turtle drops
Farm CP

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I took notes when I was a kid but not so much anymore. It would probably help when I leave a game for months and then come back and forget everything I'd been doing lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

I took notes when I was a kid but not so much anymore. It would probably help when I leave a game for months and then come back and forget everything I'd been doing lol

This is what I do, and then I will delete stuff as I get back into the groove. Now I wish I didn't because I would have more notes to share

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I took notes during jonathan blows the Witness, and by notes i mean i drew stuff on post-its.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lightning Returns gamer notes:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I had one of those little notepads detectives use for deus ex. Most of it was stuff from the mj12 base escape at unatco and the underwater base.

I'm gonna buy deus ex right now and play it again, thanks for the thread IT

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't DX4 come out in August? We should have I Didn't Ask For This August after Metal Gear July: Snakes Revenge

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I had index cards with important moves for my kof characters taped to my monitor at one point but I never took a picture.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fungah! posted:

whn la mulana 2 comes out im gonna buy a notebook for everything nd i wish i'd done that for the first game. ive got some stray notes for a few puzzles though

My la mulana 2 notebook is already prepared. I hope I can fill it up then keep all the notes to myself forever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I had index cards with important moves for my kof characters taped to my monitor at one point but I never took a picture.

Badass

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

I had one of those little notepads detectives use for deus ex. Most of it was stuff from the mj12 base escape at unatco and the underwater base.

I'm gonna buy deus ex right now and play it again, thanks for the thread IT

I wrote down a lot of codes and passwords in DX even though the game had an internal note taking system

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I was a kid I printed out Mortal Kombat II special moves/fatalities and brought them to the arcade at the roller skating rink.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

that rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

My la mulana 2 notebook is already prepared. I hope I can fill it up then keep all the notes to myself forever.

a glimpse of wht the la mulana 2 notebooks going to look like

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the witness is the only game ive taken notes so far

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Is it fascism yet posted:

I took notes during jonathan blows the Witness, and by notes i mean i drew stuff on post-its.

several of these seem to be mixed in with games of keep talking and nobody explodes

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fungah! posted:

a glimpse of wht the la mulana 2 notebooks going to look like

It's gonna be epic. My only notes from the original version of La-Mulana were print screens of the tablets. I can't wait to unravel the mystery of another absurdly huge game world.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
some other notes i had lying around

last one is from two different games...

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

this has got me hankering to play some ds2 again

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When I was a kid I had this one notepad with the genie from Aladdin on it where I would write down all of my passwords for games (mostly Mega Man series), it's probably back at my parents' house somewhere.

My Morrowind paper manual containa a bunch of sticky notes with character builds, most of which I will never make.

Best gaming notes experience I can remember was the first time I got to the Opera in FF6 as a kid, I knew you had to memorize lines in a song but didn't know which ones so when it gave you a chance to read the script I meticulously transcribed the entire thing by hand before triggering that scene.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
No, I have a good memory OP.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I wrote down all sorts of codes and cheats and passwords inside the box my NES came in. It worked alright, somehow.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wrote notes for animal crossing, AoE2, and wrote details of stuff in the spaces of my metroid prime guide

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It was cool to rent a game from the rental place and some previous renter had put passwords in the Notes section of the manual

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
aaaaaa
bbbbbb
cccc
dd

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i have a bunch of text files on my desktop full of like, skill trees from RPGs and stuff, so that i can remember what i was doing in case i have to walk away from the game for a while

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i refuse to write physical notes or maps for the sake of puzzle gaming though. if i cant do it in my head then i dont care and am just going to look it up

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lesbian baphomet posted:

i refuse to write physical notes or maps for the sake of puzzle gaming though. if i cant do it in my head then i dont care and am just going to look it up

sometimes i gotta take a screen shot and draw on it on paint

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I also have the witness notes. just 2 a4s though and the second one is entirely for one single puzzle. But it was a really hard puzzle and I had been playing for 7 hours straight

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No
No
NO!!

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

im imagining someone pausing in tetris and doing this every time a new piece comes on screen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

im imagining someone pausing in tetris and doing this every time a new piece comes on screen

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wishing I was keeping notes while playing Aria of sorrow so I could remember what rooms have things I need to double jump or slide to

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

Wishing I was keeping notes while playing Aria of sorrow so I could remember what rooms have things I need to double jump or slide to

So why don't you start bitch.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish the Steam overlay had like, a lil text box that would be persistent between sesions of a game. I alt-tab sometimes to a text file but I forget about them a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

lol

• Locked thread