Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah but the lender only cares about collision/comprehensive. Liability is what would pay for the garage/cars here.

Functionally I dunno if you can get a sufficient plan but still have state minimum liability, though.
Oh yeah, absolutely. Get $500 deductible for collision, no-deductible glass, and have $25k bodily injury liability and $10k property damage liability (at least GEICO will let me create such an abomination of a policy). So the car gets wrecked as seen above, the insurance basically pays the financing company and the driver is hosed forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Get an electronic death chamber. Peanut butter inside. All the humane death, none of the mess of snap traps.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is a cat out of the question? Most effective deterrent there is!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'll give these a shot. I want to avoid killing it if I can.

The mouse, I think it's only one but who knows, is pretty bold. It popped out from behind the cushions on the couch right next to me while I was sitting there, so hopefully it won't be afraid to take a nibble from the trap.

It's never just one.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is true. Wondering if you could get away with just obtaining some cat hair from a cat-owning friend or neighbor and placing it around where the mice might be getting in. Or just get a cat. We recently adopted and would highly recommend. Cats are the best.

Chad Sexington posted:

It's never just one.

Yep. Which is why I said mice.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Queen Victorian posted:

This is true. Wondering if you could get away with just obtaining some cat hair from a cat-owning friend or neighbor and placing it around where the mice might be getting in. Or just get a cat. We recently adopted and would highly recommend. Cats are the best.

Yep. Which is why I said mice.
Mice are obnoxious, but chipmunks really are next level vermin. gently caress those guys.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nice parachute account, DAVE

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You say that but the most either of my broke-rear end cats did when we had mice get into the house was basically alert us to them by staring at the pantry.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

You say that but the most either of my broke-rear end cats did when we had mice get into the house was basically alert us to them by staring at the pantry.

That sounds about right. At our last place a chipmunk got in through a window and all of our cats were super scared by it, except for the three legged one, who adopted it as a new friend. She’d hop over, catch it, then let it go, then catch it again. We tried to put a container over the chipmunk but then she just let the poor thing go escape altogether.

Wasn’t until we heard the sad wailing at three AM we knew the chungus had accidentally Lennie’d the poor thing

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sadly no kill traps are kind of an issue becuase well.. where do the mice go after they've been captured.. are you going to take them in your car and drive them out to the country to go live on a farm? Are you going to trap them, then release them in your backyard for them to be like.. Oh okay back into the house again?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

tater_salad posted:

Sadly no kill traps are kind of an issue becuase well.. where do the mice go after they've been captured.. are you going to take them in your car and drive them out to the country to go live on a farm? Are you going to trap them, then release them in your backyard for them to be like.. Oh okay back into the house again?

Clearly the answer is to release them in your least favorite neighbor's yard.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

tater_salad posted:

The latter is what I would do as a kid. My mom used the sticky traps but didn't have the spine to kill them, so she'd have my brothers or I do it. I just let them out in the backyard, where they probably came right back. It was stupid.

They're also kind of grim and gruesome in their own way. A mouse won't go down without fighting. They'll chew through the trap or their own leg if they have to in order to escape.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Queen Victorian posted:

Or just get a cat. We recently adopted and would highly recommend. Cats are the best.

Can confirm. Mine was a pretty good mouser when I lived in a bad place and a couple mice popped out of the walls.

Also very cute.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

tater_salad posted:

I mean, my plan is to just drive out a couple of miles and let it go. It's not like their range is that far.

Edit: oh hey it worked

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 12, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If there’s one, there’s many.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I think you should name the little guy and get some more clear gerbil tubes so he can roam around and be bffs :3:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, my plan is to just drive out a couple of miles and let it go. It's not like their range is that far.

Edit: oh hey it worked

anxiously awaiting the next post:

"man I dunno how but the little guy found his way back in, even though I drove him a mile away."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Drove him to a local park about 5 minutes away.

Bye bye little guy.

I guess I'll clean reset and rebait the traps in case there's more.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think you're supposed to open the trap when you release them. :v:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Did you see any hawks at the park?

We have lot of mice in our neighborhood so I was considering poison bait station on our property. Are their any toxins that are safe for predators? We have some cool red tailed hawks that I don't want to hurt.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My cat, who somehow found mice hiding in the backyard to catch, completely failed to stop the mice who got in and were eating from his bowl. Now by this time he had gone blind, so I can understand. I did try to get him near the mice to see if he could still try but he didn't figure out what I wanted.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

We have lot of mice in our neighborhood so I was considering poison bait station on our property. Are their any toxins that are safe for predators? We have some cool red tailed hawks that I don't want to hurt.

No. Birds have shockingly delicate organs.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NomNomNom posted:

No - and definitely don't use glue traps either. They can cause terrible injuries if a bird happens to get stuck in one.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

devicenull posted:

No - and definitely don't use glue traps either. They can cause terrible injuries if a bird happens to get stuck in one.

I have had to remove glue trap adhesive from pigeons, and it is not easy. I've also had to remove entire glue traps from small dogs, and that's a bit easier in that you can shave the dog, but they still don't like it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nitrousoxide posted:

Drove him to a local park about 5 minutes away.

Bye bye little guy.

I guess I'll clean reset and rebait the traps in case there's more.

:3:

This sparks joy

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
The only way we were able to get rid of mice in our apartment was D-CON bricks broken up and shoved into every hole in the baseboard we could find (wearing gloves) and plug the holes with steel wool. Turned out the big culprit was the way-too-big hole in the drywall behind the stove for the gas line.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My cat goes outside and bring mice in. 0/5 stars tried to return her too but she won't get in the box now that I want her to.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Something like pb blaster/ liquid wrench, any solvent, orange clean should free from glue traps.

I freed a bird with spray foam gun cleaner once.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It's come up a few times in the past, but if you're worried about pets, ferals, birds, I think https://www.automatictrap.com/ is the "acceptable" mouse/rat solution, since it doesn't use poison.

Yes I know it's almost $200 for a CO2 driven mouse trap.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alarbus posted:

It's come up a few times in the past, but if you're worried about pets, ferals, birds, I think https://www.automatictrap.com/ is the "acceptable" mouse/rat solution, since it doesn't use poison.

Yes I know it's almost $200 for a CO2 driven mouse trap.

Lol when I saw "CO2" I was about to make a snarky comment about how using ye olde neck breaker is about as humane as asphyxiation because I just assumed that the gas was the method and the conversation seemed to be going in the ethical kill direction what with throwing shade on glue traps. Then I clicked through the site.

They made a goddamned rat-sized captive bolt pistol.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol when I saw "CO2" I was about to make a snarky comment about how using ye olde neck breaker is about as humane as asphyxiation because I just assumed that the gas was the method and the conversation seemed to be going in the ethical kill direction what with throwing shade on glue traps. Then I clicked through the site.

Don’t even give the mouse a chance and have them call a coin flip?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

And the second rat just walks right over the broken corpse of his brother in the final frame. This is all very unsettling for marketing material.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Something like pb blaster/ liquid wrench, any solvent, orange clean should free from glue traps.

I freed a bird with spray foam gun cleaner once.

Just don't use glue traps, rat poison, or lead bullets. They're 0 benefit and all torture. (this isn't a gun stance, just use unleaded bullets.)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just use regular traps. Yeah its gross but its effective, and it will eventually (if you seal gaps into your house) eliminate them. I mean unless you like mice poo poo all over your house and having them chew up god knows what in your walls, ceilings, attics, etc.

When I bought my house it had been empty for 6 months and I had major mice issues. 3 months of trapping, and about 30 dead mice later, I havent seen one since. I did have to go around and seal up gaps on the outside here and there until I discovered their ultimate entrance, a floor drain that they were crawling in and out of in the basement.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The $20 electric mouse traps work perfectly. They die instantly and you just dump the corpse into the trash. No mess, no danger to other animals, no poison.

My buddy got 1 a day for weeks in his while he was working on sealing up his garage/hanta-virus-incubator

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

And the second rat just walks right over the broken corpse of his brother in the final frame. This is all very unsettling for marketing material.

The original was a tree mount where the dead mouse fell on the ground for scavengers to handle. The floor bracket is a little weird.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Also a trap tip. I found putting them perpendicular to a wall and with a barrier on the other side was more effective. The mice were funneled through the trap and they got caught more often. Before that I'd find empty snapped traps with no bait left.

Also I used a bunch of the cheap wood ones and just threw the whole thing out, but later I got nicer plastic ones that I would empty and reuse.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

When I first briefly looked at the graphic I though, "Oh does the first body like roll off?" then I noticed the very faint body of the dead first mouse and just started laughing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The Mousetrap Monday guy on YouTube has a ton of useful rodent catching videos.

I was amazed at finding out just how little rodents care about there being other dead rodents around, and inversely, how loving smart they can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Dave posted:

When I first briefly looked at the graphic I though, "Oh does the first body like roll off?" then I noticed the very faint body of the dead first mouse and just started laughing.

The whole thing is pretty great. The juxtaposition of *sniff sniff* and the Kapow! Of the murder bolt.