Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Do you have a hole saw?

Yes, of course I have a whole saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I once saw a hole saw saw a whole hole.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Do you have a hole saw?

When you really want a hole, everything looks like a saw.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

well i hole'd my way into this mess, and i'll hole my way out

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"I see," said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The homeowner shall not hold the saw in whole or in part responsible for whether they return from the project in whole or in part.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Holed my beer.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

At the risk of outing myself as an idiot, what are these window screen clip things called?

I have a condo that I bought last year and during spring cleaning I noticed some of these are rusty and some aren't even present.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I call them window screen clip things.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
they're not just called screen door clips?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Screen retainer clips.

Not sure if they have a formal name. I'd see if your local(ish) hardware store sell them; they might, especially of they repair screens. Then look online.

Worst case you could probably fabricate something out of a machine screw & a bent washer.

e: VVV there ya go VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 1, 2024

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Check out this site: https://www.swisco.com/cl/Screen_Storm-Panel-Replacement-Hardware

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

This site is amazing. I just used it to find some lock bezels for my Andersen casement windows.

They’re all missing except for 1… I have no idea why, only Gary knows I guess.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Abyss posted:

I've gotten 5 estimates for tree trimming, all have the required insurance. I'm not getting Chuck and a truck to come and trim branches that are over my roof. The prices vary wildly, though, and reviews are scarce for tree trimming in this area. The job is to trim 3 pecan trees with branches overhanging the roof, 1 pecan tree that needs to be cleaned up, 1 stump removed & grinded, 1 stump grinded.

$3800: This company is the largest in the area, uses the local university branding, does a walk around estimate. Charges $75 for an arborist to come and talk to you for an hour if you don't like the walkaround. 4.6 with 51 reviews
$2500: Guy walked around my property with me, described what limbs to cut and what not to. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about. $2000 for the trees, $500 for the stumps. 4.9 average for 17 reviews.
$1965: The estimate was done by a certified arborist, determined what needed to be done by my descriptions. Three 5 star reviews, one 1 star review.
$800: I walked around describing what I wanted trimmed and the guy was very receptive. He also pointed out that my catalpa tree was likely 80% dead and that it needed to be removed (the previous residents crowned it, other estimators mentioned this). He also told me to cut the chicken wire that was wound around another pecan tree. He quoted $800 for the entire job including removing the dead tree. He told me he's been doing this as a side job for years and just started doing it full-time this year. Talked about his equipment, 150 lbs tension robes, renting a lift if he needs to, he has a crew, etc. Said some companies don't get insured or let theirs lapse, his premium was $1800/year. Lamented figuring out the online advertising game. Four 5 star reviews (most recent was Jan 2024), one 1 star review in 2012.
$725: She listened to my description of what needed to be done and assessed that it was less than a half day's work. Told me that some companies want you to pay for their kids' college. Told me her insurance was $2 mill comprehensive. When I mentioned taking out the tree, she said $1925 for the trimming and taking out the tree. One hundred and fifty reviews to average 4.9 stars.

Thoughts? The dead tree is far enough away that if it lands on anything it's going to be grass or concrete. Obviously, you don't want to skimp on tree trimming services or removal services. I guess I'm questioning the really good deal of $800 to trim everything and take the tree out, unless he needs word of mouth to help expand his business.

I'll follow this post by saying I went with the guy that quoted $800. I found some more reviews on a couple other sites that hadn't given him stars, but were all positive. He's had "Hazardous Tree Removal" on his business card and these reviews all stated that he had either removed an oak tree that was right up against their house or a fence or other structure without damage. They arrived on Thursday, he gave me his current insurance policy, and they cut down the huge (and definitely 90% dead) catalpa tree and trimmed some of the pecan branches. They then finished the job today with a lift to get to the other pecan trees. He explained everything he was doing and suggested he cut branches this way and that to encourage growth of the trees upwards and away from the house. There was no increase in fee for all the extra work he did. Very reasonable guy to talk with, he said his schedule was booked from a realtor friend. I'm leaving a review wherever I can find it and will be giving good recommendations to people who need it. I guess that works well enough for him.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Glad that all got done successfully. Tree work is one of those low barrier to entry businesses that a lot of people get into. Basic jobs are fine for these people. Sometimes even more complex ones where they rent equipment. But when you've got a real job to do you want the guy who is/brings in an arborist (knows how to trim properly) and/or knows how to handle dropping stuff righ up against other houses/trees without damage. Those guys cost money and they're the one who have been in business for a long time and will continue to be in business, unlike the 2 guys who bought a used chipper and truck after high school.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
My mom hired a handyman to build a platform and install a shed on an uneven bit of land.

The upside is he only charged $2500.

The downside…

-4 fasteners per SHEET of plywood (should be every 12” or less so 40+)
-Piers crooked AF
-Single (sometimes 2) fasteners from 2x6 joist to EACH piers
-Joists 28” on center at minimum.
-Not sure what the 3/4” plywood is but it looks not rated for the wet subtropical environment it’s sitting in
-joist hangers nailed only to the rim, not the joists

Pics:

Just lovely work.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 1, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As someone who spent an alarming amount of time building cheap boats out of even cheaper 1/8" plywood, poorly painting them with "wrong color" house paint, then leaving them to (not) rot in my mom's side yard for a decade and a half sitting on damp clay, I think you can safely trust the plywood will be just fine with a roof over it six inches off the ground. It's pretty hard to gently caress up plywood unless you build giant bowls to correct rain water with and even then it's pretty resilient

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

As someone who spent an alarming amount of time building cheap boats out of even cheaper 1/8" plywood, poorly painting them with "wrong color" house paint, then leaving them to (not) rot in my mom's side yard for a decade and a half sitting on damp clay, I think you can safely trust the plywood will be just fine with a roof over it six inches off the ground. It's pretty hard to gently caress up plywood unless you build giant bowls to correct rain water with and even then it's pretty resilient

at my last house there was a metal shed with plywood floor and some time after I moved in the floor started to rot. when I pulled up the wood I found that the dude who built it had laid a tarp over the metal floor frame before screwing down the wood on top of it, making an excellent barrier between the wood and the ground that was extremely good at collecting water.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

Bowls say from barely attaching plywood over 28” OC joists that are then loaded with a storage unit worth of crap?

They’re def bowl shaped.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

at my last house there was a metal shed with plywood floor and some time after I moved in the floor started to rot. when I pulled up the wood I found that the dude who built it had laid a tarp over the metal floor frame before screwing down the wood on top of it, making an excellent barrier between the wood and the ground that was extremely good at collecting water.

Lmao that's incredible

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

They’re def bowl shaped.

So long as they're painted with the cheapest latex exterior house paint, then left to cook in UV indefinitely, they ought to hold up for 10 years. Unless they're soaking in a pool made from a tarp, in which case they'll last 7 years

No comment about OC measurements, we call those bulkheads and they're measured in feet not inches on boats

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 2, 2024

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so goddamn it, we move in to our house, and already may have an issue.

Pretty straight forward: the air conditioning can’t seem to actually blow cold air. It’s like, somewhat cool, but it can’t get the temp below like, 77 or 78.

All appliances are new.

What should we look at and what’s the simplest way to try and fix this?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Duckman2008 posted:

Pretty straight forward: the air conditioning can’t seem to actually blow cold air. It’s like, somewhat cool, but it can’t get the temp below like, 77 or 78.

All appliances are new.

I cant teach a full A/C diagnosis 101 here there are several things that could be wrong.

Is the compressor fan blowing?
Is the A frame iced over?
Are the copper lines into and out and out of the A frame the same temperature?

Figuring out how to answer those will start you on a path of learning about home A/C that you will def want to do, as it will save you oodles of cash and greatly decrease the time spent hot.

The answers should be yes, no, no.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

All appliances are new.

If you have to ask this question you need an HVAC contractor. Did you have this home inspected before you bought it? If so, what did the inspector say about the HVAC system?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, update, we fixed it

There’s apparently a big on and off switch with a cover near the air conditioner outside.

It was set to off.

We switched it to on.

I believe we now have air conditioning.

Don’t worry, I am sure I will have stupider poo poo to post here.

For the record: we did get a full home inspection before buying.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, update, we fixed it

There’s apparently a big on and off switch with a cover near the air conditioner outside.

It was set to off.

We switched it to on.

p awesome that your first home problem is solved by helpdesk’s “please reboot the machine”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You should set the AC to 60F then crawl in the attic/basement with a rented FLIR thermo camera to look for obvious leaks

I lived in a duplex. My ac bill was like $125, $160 on the absolute hottest month

My neighbor was paying $550-600 mo

Turns out they had multiple rips in the big central tube in the attic. Not enough to completely ruin air flow, but enough that half their air was being vented into the attic

Fixed their AC leak and their bill went down to about $200 max

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mine's about $350/month because I retrofit A/C to a 1930s house that used to be heated with a coal-fired gravity furnace & was switched to gas hot-air with basebord-level ducts installed in the early 50s and one single return in a tiny hallway.

It's the Little Engine That Gets Down To 78°

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

It's the Little Engine That Gets Down To 78°

lol I love this.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Duckman2008 posted:

It was set to off.

We switched it to on.

There was a summer where we had a ton of folks over for the weekend. First few months in the place. Getting ready for bed, and the AC just won’t come on. But it’s late (plus we don’t want our nosy landlord coming in and seeing a lot of beer cans..) so we don’t call him.

I can’t sleep, I’m walking around the house trying to figure it out. Check everything near the HVAC unit. Go back upstairs I find this light switch in the stairwell that I hadn’t really noticed before. Flip it on and… the fans start whirring.

I guess someone else just turned it off accidentally, and ever since then I’ve always made a point to find out where the HVAC switch was when I moved. (and taped it in the On position)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, update, we fixed it

It was set to off.

We switched it to on.

Your home inspector should have turned the A/C on full blast and measured the temp of the air coming out of your vents after a few minutes to check for efficacy. Not saying your inspector did a bad job, but if anything else comes up that seems like it could have been caught, it might be worth getting someone out for a second look.

Actually that’s a good idea for a smart person to draft and post: list of checks any decent home inspection should include.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lawnie posted:

Your home inspector should have turned the A/C on full blast and measured the temp of the air coming out of your vents after a few minutes to check for efficacy. Not saying your inspector did a bad job, but if anything else comes up that seems like it could have been caught, it might be worth getting someone out for a second look.

Actually that’s a good idea for a smart person to draft and post: list of checks any decent home inspection should include.

I don't think there's any evidence that the inspector didn't check the A/C worked on full blast - the problem was it being turned off, not some fault somewhere

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

distortion park posted:

I don't think there's any evidence that the inspector didn't check the A/C worked on full blast - the problem was it being turned off, not some fault somewhere

If it was off they didn’t check it properly.

They are supposed to do a temperature check. Mine did last year :shrug:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This seems like a dumb thing to continue to talk about but I feel like i'm going crazy - the switch being off at some point in the future doesn't mean that the inspector couldn't have had it on when they did their tests? Are they one use switches or something?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

If it was off they didn’t check it properly.

The claim is that it was on when the inspection happened, then someone turned it off.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

distortion park posted:

This seems like a dumb thing to continue to talk about but I feel like i'm going crazy - the switch being off at some point in the future doesn't mean that the inspector couldn't have had it on when they did their tests? Are they one use switches or something?

I guess the PO could have turned off the A/C at the condenser sometime after the inspection for reasons??? Anyway the point still stands, even if the PO did flip the switch, your inspection report should offer a fixed point in time when the unit did work, which saves tons of time troubleshooting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lawnie posted:

I'd appreciate any suggestions actually, home inspection tomorrow on a 1970s ranch style we're buying. Half an acre of land and four doors down from the mother in law (who is an excellent person)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd appreciate any suggestions actually, home inspection tomorrow on a 1970s ranch style we're buying. Half an acre of land and four doors down from the mother in law (who is an excellent person)

Sewer line, electrical panel, roof (make sure he walks it, not just a drone), and the hvac/furnace are the ones I worry about. Those are all areas lovely inspectors will skimp on and you can run into bad bills down the road.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sewer line, electrical panel, roof (make sure he walks it, not just a drone), and the hvac/furnace are the ones I worry about. Those are all areas lovely inspectors will skimp on and you can run into bad bills down the road.

Don’t forget to have them check for angry spirits that might be living there. Mine was a reasonably new construction so I didn’t have to worry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Depending on if it's relevant, basement walls and radon (if they're qualified) as well?